->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm 
Fishaholic

This Sunday took my clients Sport fishing Yacht to a one day fishing trip to an abandoned Rig 75 NM from Mumbai, left early morning and reached there in 3 hours, this was my fifth time to this rig, but the water color was pretty disappointing it was light blue whereas i have always encountered cobalt blue water here and have caught huge barracudas, groupers and snappers. seeing the water color we did not expect any big game also the fish finder was showing up small game all over the place, so we did not put out any big game reels instead put out a spread of 5-6 spinning reels(penn 850ssm) trolled around the rig for the next 1 hour not a single hit, then backed the boat close to the rig and started jigging close to the rig pillars, caught Three 10lbs groupers and a small 4lbs Trigger fish, was so dissapointed with the catch that I did not bother to bring the camera out, but will try again next month. when i head out to the Angria Bank will fish the rig on my way there, ILL BE BACK...

Bad Day at fishing but still enjoyed my Sunday as they say "A Bad day at fishing is better than a Good day at Work"

The 74' Yacht

Leaving Mumbai Harbour

All the Big Game lures were out with high hopes of big game

Empty fighting chair

Thats me !!

The Rig

Silent Reels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dilip,

The boat is an absolute beauty. Never mind for the catch. There is always a next time. Thnks for sharing the pics and happy fishing.

Spoonangler.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Dilip Kawad wrote:
when i head out to the Angria Bank

Lucky you.. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm 
Fishaholic

@Abhi yes there is always next time looking forward to it next month.

@Santosh Thanks and Boss pick up ur phone tried calling u many times last week could not get thru...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Dilip i think i have a likely explanation the group of pipes you see on the right hand side of the RIG...Correct terminology is a "Jacket" or "Platform",these are the Conductors.On a operational platform these conductors go deep into the seabed and tap into the oil reserves hundred of metres below the seafloor.The oil coming up to the surface is under a very high pressure and is also hot resulting in warm water in the conductors area.Fish love warm water and tend to hang out there like teenagers at a Disco.If there is no production no warm crude they just leave the area but will group again when warmer water moves in,since its a great habitat to hide.Another likely scenario maybe something polluting the surrounding waters.Survey vessels also tend to drive away fish because of the sonic boom associated with survey methods for charting seabed and oil reserves.I presume it was Neelam field but maybe i am wrong havent dived in Indian waters for the last 8 yrs.If you troll on the perimeter of Hira field will be productive Flare visibly as you leave BFL seen some massive Bill fish there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:07 pm 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
Dilip i think i have a likely explanation the group of pipes you see on the right hand side of the RIG...Correct terminology is a "Jacket" or "Platform",these are the Conductors.On a operational platform these conductors go deep into the seabed and tap into the oil reserves hundred of metres below the seafloor.The oil coming up to the surface is under a very high pressure and is also hot resulting in warm water in the conductors area.Fish love warm water and tend to hang out there like teenagers at a Disco.If there is no production no warm crude they just leave the area but will group again when warmer water moves in,since its a great habitat to hide.Another likely scenario maybe something polluting the surrounding waters.Survey vessels also tend to drive away fish because of the sonic boom associated with survey methods for charting seabed and oil reserves.I presume it was Neelam field but maybe i am wrong havent dived in Indian waters for the last 8 yrs.If you troll on the perimeter of Hira field will be productive Flare visibly as you leave BFL seen some massive Bill fish there.

Who better than a veteran diver/Fisherman like you to give an in depth explanation like this, I only go to this rig because it is not functional, so you could go close up and fish all you want have got game there before but never encountered any bill fish there only Barracudas, Groupers and Snappers, as for the perimeter of Hira Ratna oil fields its become very difficult now, the moment they spot you, even if your far far away they start ordering you on the radio to leave, so dont think ill be wanting to travel all the way there only to be shooed away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dilip
what a catch ! s.. so... sorry what a yacht ! Thanks for the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

hey dilip,

that's one beautiful boat.. n really cool gear..

thank u for sharing..

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice boat there. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:27 pm 
Fishaholic

The Yacht is a Beauty! Never imagined that Such a Fishing Yacht could be in mumbai Harbour!

Better luck next time, Dilip.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Sanjay, pranav, Apoo and Mohile sir, that boat is definitely a beauty, but on any given day as long as i get the fish, I would even prefer the traditional wooden boat with the noisy cummins engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

You Said it! Dilip. I fully agree with you.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats an awesome yacht. Too bad, you didnt get to use the fighting chair.... :lol:

Anyway, I would advise you not to get too close to an abandoned rig, as it has been abandoned for a particular reason (SAFETY). If a rig is not drilling , or there is no produce left, the rig, platform will be moved away.

I'm sure that Neil too has seen lots of pics of rigs collapsing. Being in the oil field (worked on the rigs) & presently into rig construction, modification, upgrades, we do hear about various accidents.

Also note, that if a rig is drilling, you will not be permitted to get close to it. Dont be surprised, if the coast guard rounds you up. I know that fishing is not permitted around rig structures. I do know that there are lots of big fish down there, as I have seen them numerous times on the BOP camera. (BOP is the blow out preventor)

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
Thats an awesome yacht. Too bad, you didnt get to use the fighting chair.... :lol:

Anyway, I would advise you not to get too close to an abandoned rig, as it has been abandoned for a particular reason (SAFETY). If a rig is not drilling , or there is no produce left, the rig, platform will be moved away.

I'm sure that Neil too has seen lots of pics of rigs collapsing. Being in the oil field (worked on the rigs) & presently into rig construction, modification, upgrades, we do hear about various accidents.

Also note, that if a rig is drilling, you will not be permitted to get close to it. Dont be surprised, if the coast guard rounds you up. I know that fishing is not permitted around rig structures. I do know that there are lots of big fish down there, as I have seen them numerous times on the BOP camera. (BOP is the blow out preventor)

regards,
Keyur

Thanks for the advice Keyur, will surely keep a safe distance next time I go there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 pm 
Fishaholic

The only thing I will say, never call a fishing trip SAD.. :roll:

Fabulous Boat.. :D

regards,

Ali.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

Well Ali Bhai No Fishing trip is SAD, but when you go to a beautiful place where there is always game and return back empty handed it does make you SAD, but there is always next time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

Dilip Kawad wrote:
angler_ali wrote:

Well Ali Bhai No Fishing trip is SAD, but when you go to a beautiful place where there is always game and return back empty handed it does make you SAD, but there is always next time...

Empty handed you said ... well atleast you didnt have to eat the bait like we had to do this Saturday on our night fishing trip to Aksa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Dilip Kawad wrote:
Sanjay, pranav, Apoo and Mohile sir, that boat is definitely a beauty, but on any given day as long as i get the fish, I would even prefer the traditional wooden boat with the noisy cummins engine.

Dilip
Yes i do also agree with you, I also never had luck (thats another thing never tried seriously as call of duty did not permitted it .Ha Ha Ha. :lol: )
we at customs Ratnagari division had some similar high speed boats called as "CPC"(Customs patrolling Crafts) bit a smaller virsion of say 50 ft. searched for old photographs ,could not locate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Freddie Saturday night was fishing at colaba the Barra's were feeding all over as usual, got 2 big hits on my popper did not connect, the third fish I connected was about 10-12 kgs it straightened my popper hook after a 20 min fight, then I went to the prongs light house this Sunday trolled around and sent some bait down got nothing just got sea sick in the strong current and got back, so looks like bad luck is running every where.

@Sanjay would love to see some pics of the boat and any natural wonders that you saw while out at sea off Ratnagiri.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

dilip wrote "return back empty handed it does make you SAD, but there is always next time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Empty handed you said ... well atleast you didnt have to eat the bait like we had to do this Saturday on our night fishing trip to Aksa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank god Vishal did not get the lost eel :twisted:

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Fredfish wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank god Vishal did not get the lost eel :twisted:

Regards,

That man will eat anything ... next time im gonna keep my shoes on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
That man will eat anything ... next time im gonna keep my shoes on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:badgrin: :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:45 pm 

Think it was just as well that Mac (my spaniel) kept out of the way when the bait was being barbequed. Hot dog might have been on the menu. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 pm 
Fishaholic

granta wrote:
Think it was just as well that Mac (my spaniel) kept out of the way when the bait was being barbequed. Hot dog might have been on the menu. :lol:

It did cross our mind Alan but by then he had a red light on him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Dilip Kawad wrote:
@ Freddie Saturday night was fishing at colaba the Barra's were feeding all over as usual, got 2 big hits on my popper did not connect, the third fish I connected was about 10-12 kgs it straightened my popper hook after a 20 min fight, then I went to the prongs light house this Sunday trolled around and sent some bait down got nothing just got sea sick in the strong current and got back, so looks like bad luck is running every where.

Sanjay would love to see some pics of the boat and any natural wonders that you saw while out at sea off Ratnagiri.
[/size][/size][/color]
Hi Dilip
Tried to search those photographs but could not locate them..still searching. regarding natural wonders ..we used to be in sea for more than 12 hours some time 48 hours at a streach in the sea .And the sea as a nature has lot of things to offer. The most wonderful experience, we used to see groups of DOLPHINS (bit small in size locals used to call them Gadya masa ) welcoming us, always when we used to enter jaigadh, just after crossing warvde, even once they circled and circled our boat for quit long period . In full moon night if you are lucky the group of fished if swiming shallow shines like a glittering silver jwellary. Have seen many big fishes dancing on tail- perpendicular for quit some distances (actually they were running out in fear) . and many more -the experienes can not be put in words...it has to be experienced . Had some bad experiences also due to bad sea conditions but still the sea is splindid and you all will agree it has to be experienced. :-) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

sanjaysomkuwar wrote:
Hi Dilip
Tried to search those photographs but could not locate them..still searching. regarding natural wonders ..we used to be in sea for more than 12 hours some time 48 hours at a streach in the sea .And the sea as a nature has lot of things to offer. The most wonderful experience, we used to see groups of DOLPHINS (bit small in size locals used to call them Gadya masa ) welcoming us, always when we used to enter jaigadh, just after crossing warvde, even once they circled and circled our boat for quit long period . In full moon night if you are lucky the group of fished if swiming shallow shines like a glittering silver jwellary. Have seen many big fishes dancing on tail- perpendicular for quit some distances (actually they were running out in fear) . and many more -the experienes can not be put in words...it has to be experienced . Had some bad experiences also due to bad sea conditions but still the sea is splindid and you all will agree it has to be experienced. :-) :lol:

Ya we all love Dolphins in fact I still remember I used to spot dolphins early in the morning at the colaba sea shore but dont see them any more but still get reports of dolphin sighting's at the colaba prongs light house from the local fisherman and thats a lot of time that you have spent in the sea lucky you, I am very choosy when i venture out at sea as even though i have been out on the boat 100's of times I still havent got acclimatised to the boat and I get sick on every second or third trip depending on how choppy the sea is, I use acupressure bands and Avomine they dont help much but still that doesnt stop me from exploring, I envy people like you who could spend 48 hours on a rocking boat I wish I could one Day..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Dilip Kawad wrote:

i ditto that :D [smilie=coolup.gif] Angria Banks !!! guys don't you need some body cooking for you :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dilip
Thanks for the response. Even i was thinking that sailing in boat is quite enjoyable . I used to visit one of my friend at JNPT. From pune i used to get down at VT station (now CST) and then take a launch from GateWay to Navha Shiva the hour long journy used to be pleasent. No rolling no pitching of the boat as the area is some what a bay type. But when I first ventured in to sea that night in Ratnagari I was shocked due to the bad wether conditions also the sea is open from all the side. That day i still remember. Tough I had never tried avomin, and never vomited, but had vomiting sensations one can not escape it. we do wanted to get down on earth for that earthing. I had never seen the local crew members vomiting who get adepted to the conditions. Even some of our brave Navy peoples vomited they had habit of large vessels and not small fishing trawelers .