->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:33 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Those where the days
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Some picts of the good old days.Thats Ralph Rebello(Rolly)with his two big barras,the one on the bottom took him over a hour to land....line 20 lbs golden stren,Daiwa 4000 series reel,9 foot telescopic rod .[img][img]http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5671/14550101318836559576100.th.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][[img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/448/14550101318823226244100.th.jpg[/img][

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Dream..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

BAAP RE..

when will i land one if those..

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Fantastic fish. And that would have taken a lot of skill and patience landing them.

How long ago was this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

These fish where caught in the early eighties,it was normal for us leave the house at 0400 and back by 1400 with a Barra and a couple of Ravas.One of my best in a single day was 2 Barras over 30lbs and 3 Threadfin 10 lbs plus.Another local Fisherman caught 14 Threadfins in excess of 10 lbs each in 2 hours.I dont think we contributed to the decline because the fish caught was miniscule compared to the Commercial fishermen.Its the high level of pollution that has driven the fish away and killed the mangroves,After the Tsunami the local catch has declined considerably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

I used to leave the house at 4 am .. ride my speed king cycle with the rods tied on the bar , Haver sack with Sandwiches . Reel , Assorted plastic boxes with home made lures with home made trebles . long staff Gaff with a large mustad hook ( also doubled as a walking stick ) , Empty plastic bottles to fill with water from Kashas house or the local well near the end of the road ...with the damn stary dogs chasing me ... and then cross the ferry and try to patao the BEST bus conductor to allow me to hold onto my cycle outside the bus at the rear door for the bus ride to the Madh naka and then once again get chased by the strays .. have chai at Kasha's house and start casting in the dark ... Fluff those were the days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah Fred,
Those were the days. We used to cycle to Okhla and a few other places around Delhi. The rest is much the same story.

The Yamuna was a great river then. i have seen enormous Malli, Goonch and other monsters being hauled out and some even hauling people in. And all this happened around 20 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 pm 
Fishaholic

great stuff thanks for sharing :D
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:59 am 
Fishaholic

The second one is huge. Possibly could be in the range of 25 Kg's if I am not wrong.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

Niel,

Stop living in the past.. :lol: :lol: ,

Since last few days, Ravas are feeding on Mumbai cost like mad. Man the fishes are still there but the will to catch them is missing..

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali i wish i could but sadly i am at work in the persian gulf and even here the Kingfish are in form but unfortunately i cannot fish due to Regulations.I guess Fred must be out of his Office by Now :))))))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for sharing Guys,,,,,

Good old days.....

Where the Fluff was i., ....yes i remember....In school dreaming about fishing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Alibhai, kab jaana hai????? I am game as I have left my job and have loads of time............. 6 days of work and no fishing......... I opted otherwise. he he :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Sanju live the life :))))))))))))))))))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:32 pm 

now that's a fish yeah!!!

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:34 pm 
Fishaholic

I used to leave the house at 4 am .. ride my speed king cycle with the rods tied on the bar , Haver sack with Sandwiches . Reel , Assorted plastic boxes with home made lures with home made trebles . long staff Gaff with a large mustad hook ( also doubled as a walking stick ) , Empty plastic bottles to fill with water from Kashas house or the local well near the end of the road ...with the damn stary dogs chasing me ... and then cross the ferry and try to patao the BEST bus conductor to allow me to hold onto my cycle outside the bus at the rear door for the bus ride to the Madh naka and then once again get chased by the strays .. have chai at Kasha's house and start casting in the dark ... Fluff those were the days
fred how many years back was that,,,,,do u think there r 35 kg barra,,,some guys always talk about this barnacles attached barra who r well over 35 kg i wonder how much it is true,,ur opinion on this :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:50 am 
Fishaholic

Yes i very much believe there are some big barras yet lurking around.About barnacles growing on fish who else can give a better reply but a diver.I have spent thousands of hours underwater working and never seen a single fish with barnacles on it.Barnacles are often seen on crabs, whales, boats, rocks and on the shells of sea turtles. Although some species of barnacle are parasitic, most barnacle species are harmless, because they are filter feeders and do not interfere with an animal's normal diet and do not harm that animal that they live on in any way. Many species of barnacle are so harmless that in fact, an animal that is covered in them, may not even notice!.........The story of the Barra with barnacles surfaced in the late 70s and was narrated by Mr Ivan valles a keen Angler who was supposed to have hooked this big barra of Manori point and lost it just before he could gaff the "Beast".That fired my imagination as a kid and every weekend i spent in pursuit of the monster.I caught loads of fish but no monster,it was estimated to be 125 lbs plus,well with the yrs gone by it should be 500lbs plus. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Niel,

I was great seeing pictures of good ol Rolly..brought back memories. Truly the good old days.

Ivan's Barnacled Barra and the porpoise you fowled hooked, parabolic rods and timing the running ravas..

Even recalled Vincent’s story where he used to tell about one of his mates who claimed that a ravas feeding so close to the water where it leaped out and slapped him on the chest with the tail …HA HA

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Niel,

I was great seeing pictures of good ol Rolly..brought back memories. Truly the good old days.

Ivan's Barnacled Barra and the porpoise you fowled hooked, parabolic rods and timing the running ravas..

Even recalled Vincent’s story where he used to tell about one of his mates who claimed that a ravas feeding so close to the water where it leaped out and slapped him on the chest with the tail …HA HA

Bobby
bobby is this ivan a old guy from mumbai who is to be a mayor of mumbai in the good old days because i have heard from some mumbai anglers talk about a guy who would drive to goa from mumbai and and had a old car and was a mayor of bmc and was a diehard angler is this the same guy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:22 am 
Fishaholic

Will you guys ever see the like again ?
I doubt it !
I can go out and buy Indian Mackerel, Indian Pomfret and Indian Barramundi from my local supermarkets here in the the UK and they're all caught wild.
Your seas are being raped and sadly, it's your own countrymen that are doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 am 
Fishaholic

MERWYNTIGER wrote:
Bobby wrote:
Hi Niel,

Bobby
bobby is this ivan a old guy from mumbai who is to be a mayor of mumbai in the good old days because i have heard from some mumbai anglers talk about a guy who would drive to goa from mumbai and and had a old car and was a mayor of bmc and was a diehard angler is this the same guy :lol:

Old he was, Mayor he was not :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:28 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
MERWYNTIGER wrote:
Bobby wrote:
Hi Niel,

Bobby

Old he was, Mayor he was not :lol:

@Bobby was he or is he the guy who used to work for some german based company Ivan Walles. Just wished could have spent some time with him.
@ Neil i was sad when those pics went missing from ur fb profile. But happy to see them again realy and desperatly wish to land a biggie like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:50 pm 
Fishaholic

for me, these are the days. :D when i was a kid, i hardly caught anything. the river was filthy, no canals no fish nothing. i sincerely hope i dont have to say "those were the days" many years down the line. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Aamir, at least we have one good story from your place. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:48 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Will you guys ever see the like again ?
I doubt it !
I can go out and buy Indian Mackerel, Indian Pomfret and Indian Barramundi from my local supermarkets here in the the UK and they're all caught wild.
Your seas are being raped and sadly, it's your own countrymen that are doing it.

Its not our countrymen! its a universal factor called greed! It can also be our country men but most of our country men are poor! they do this for a simple living to support themselves and their families they don't get half of what they catch! neither the fish nor the money Most coastal areas have 30-40 ice factories in each and every city at least Ratnagiri does, so most of the best fishes caught are being frozen, preserved and sold overseas! I don't blame the fisherman, I blame people who are going out at sea catching more fish and then exporting it for money! yes our seas are being raped and the way things are going soon there might have to be an initiative in place to conserve all types of fishing, was happy to see that the Mahseer is being looked at in a big way and our rivers might have many Mahseer with regulations of catch and release. But after looking at what you've said. What must be done about the sea? esp. when most people believe it has an eternal supply of fish! that can never be depleted. After hearing stories from veterans where they used to catch atleast 3-4 fish in a few hours of fishing its heart breaking cause there are many a time a whole day goes by with nothing..... Well in todays world I guess there's no point getting disheartened about nothing cause for most! consumerism will fill the void!

Best Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

mailme.mario wrote:
Bobby wrote:
MERWYNTIGER wrote:
Bobby wrote:
@Bobby was he or is he the guy who used to work for some german based company Ivan Walles. Just wished could have spent some time with him.
@ Neil i was sad when those pics went missing from ur fb profile. But happy to see them again realy and desperatly wish to land a biggie like that.

I don't know what company he worked for, could not spend that much time with the guy, but I do have a picture of his somewhere that I will post later and you can then find out.

Big Barra like that are still available, you just need to know where to find them :wink: , and it is not like people then were catching barra like that every time they went out fishing, some of us just got there at the right time, like some of us do now and some still catch more fish than others now, as they did then.

But yes, there are fewer fish now than there were then, the sea does not have an infinite supply of fishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Omesh. When I was a boy, I used to be able to look down from the coastal cliffs and see shoals of mackerel (ours are similar to yours but quite a bit bigger) chasing small fish right up to the beach.
On really calm days, I could look down and see individual bass (not dissimilar to Barramundi but smaller) hunting over the sand. Those days are gone. There are still fish there but in much smaller numbers because of the greed of the politicians and the fleet operators.
With some species like the Atlantic cod where the fishing takes place outside the public gaze, entire population have totally collapsed due to consistent fishing at politically decided levels way above the quota's recommended by fisheries scientists and they aren't showing any signs of recovery.
I don't blame the individual fishermen (for the most part) because as you point out, most are just work a day guys doing what they can to feed their families but as I have watched sea angling around the British coast deteriorate massively in my lifetime, you will have to forgive me if I occasionally point out what may be about to happen to others who currently do have sea fish resources.
It takes political will to save the stocks in the face of a promise of quick cash and that is unlikely to be present without some degree of prompting from the people who mandate the politicians and who's birthright is at steak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:02 pm 
Fishaholic

About a day back I was watching BBC and there was a programme covering Iceland on why Iceland has retained its currency and not shifted to Euro.

The main reason pointed out was that, today, the biggest GDP contributor to Iceland's economy is commercial saltwater fishing. The presenter went on to say that Iceland had maintained its sea fish stocks at sustainable level while Euro zone policies had emptied the European seas of fish.

I had assumed that the green movement in Europe was very strong and wrong environmental policies were just not allowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Though the bright side is that we all forum members are discussing such issues and are aware that there are many people out there who are as concerned as we are.

If something can be done to stop fishing by those giant trawlers who's mandate is to empty the sea's and fill the pockets of their owners and then move on the the next lucrative business then the sea can be saved.

Local (small mechanized) boats can do some damage but nothing compared to these monsters.

BTW, on hearing the sea report it looks that managing Mahseer waters is much simpler. Its boils down to patrolling, educating and restocking the critically effected areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:39 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="Bobby
I don't know what company he worked for, could not spend that much time with the guy, but I do have a picture of his somewhere that I will post later and you can then find out.
.[/quote]

Bobby i have only heard of him never met or seen the man but have a book which belonged to him. The print is some where of the late sixties and purchased by him in 1975.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Omesh. When I was a boy, I used to be able to look down from the coastal cliffs and see shoals of mackerel (ours are similar to yours but quite a bit bigger) chasing small fish right up to the beach.
On really calm days, I could look down and see individual bass (not dissimilar to Barramundi but smaller) hunting over the sand. Those days are gone. There are still fish there but in much smaller numbers because of the greed of the politicians and the fleet operators.
With some species like the Atlantic cod where the fishing takes place outside the public gaze, entire population have totally collapsed due to consistent fishing at politically decided levels way above the quota's recommended by fisheries scientists and they aren't showing any signs of recovery.
I don't blame the individual fishermen (for the most part) because as you point out, most are just work a day guys doing what they can to feed their families but as I have watched sea angling around the British coast deteriorate massively in my lifetime, you will have to forgive me if I occasionally point out what may be about to happen to others who currently do have sea fish resources.
It takes political will to save the stocks in the face of a promise of quick cash and that is unlikely to be present without some degree of prompting from the people who mandate the politicians and who's birthright is at steak.

I can feel the sentiment here... There are a few species here that are facing the similar fate of the Atlantic cod and there are i suppose everywhere..... How can the politics be stopped! people who mandate politicians, where to find such people and what guarantee their not hand in glove with the politicians? the greed to live a more comfortable life blinds most people from a noble cause, Its not just fish were talking about today, Fuel!, Food!, Real estate prices.... you name it! everything is on an increased level of depletion and are becoming more expensive to procure, as a boy in school we had a lesson in english which was titled 2020!, It was a funny story about a family that lived in (in the future) 2020! A few things I remember is there was not only central Air conditioning but central oxygen!, an individual needed to wear a mask to go out the weather forecast was something like Nitrogen clouds moving out and Sulfuric dioxide clouds coming in, forecast are Carbon dioxide clouds. There was no vegetation across the globe except the dessert as there was some drastic weather change which made the desert get all the rain in the world, there was no food, humans survived on carbohydrate, protein and mineral/vitamin pastes, LPG had become illegal and no one could afford a stove besides even if they could there was no food to. Petrol was a luxury and was estimated at Rs 1000 a liter all families just had one day out in the month where they would fill in some gas and go to the museum where the kids could see what an eggplant/ladyfinger or tomato looks like! at that time it seemed like a nightmare that would never turn into reality! Today I sometimes think maybe 2020! really ends up being 2020! I'm sure politicians also indulge in angling! rest aside even if they don't or are dumb enough to deplete most resources I believe an initiative to breed fish in their natural surrounding and then letting them free is a good solution to fix the situation! I also know a capital is required for the same and one individual might not be able to make the difference, however if some people get together and make a proposal to their governments with the appropriate influence in place through research then maybe some anglers in every pat of the world can obtain government jobs, enjoy their sport, make a difference to the environment at large and also earn a substantial living in doing the same. its just that the right people need to get involved and form a good network which promotes conservation! However most of us are involved in the rat race and people who can make a difference and don't need to be rat racing since they are in a better position financially won't really take the initiative! and that is how it has been and is so I guess praying for things to improve should solve the situation! Pardon me for the outburst!

ashokpkl wrote:
Though the bright side is that we all forum members are discussing such issues and are aware that there are many people out there who are as concerned as we are.

If something* can be done to stop fishing by those giant trawlers who's mandate is to empty the sea's and fill the pockets of their owners and then move on the the next lucrative business then the sea can be saved.

Local (small mechanized) boats can do some damage but nothing compared to these monsters.

BTW, on hearing the sea report it looks that managing Mahseer waters is much simpler. Its boils down to patrolling, educating and restocking the critically effected areas.

hmmmm all this is supposedly been happening forever! still we face Mahseer extinction! we still have 70% tilapia in pune rivers! thread fin snapper off the coast has become rarer than ever!

*I propose we make a clan! and destroy em trawlers! like a Anti Fish depletion Squad! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

AFDS!

:lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry folks! but the saying is "laughter is the best medicine!"

Best Regards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice read Niel.. Fred and Alibhai. and the fonts didnt hurt my eyes too.
[smilie=ebil-thumbup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

@Neil dont remember much but my uncle and dad used to come home with a barra or two and mainly rawas. Thats me on the right in the picture say some twenty five odd years back . Had another two pics of barras but not getting a hand on them one 28.5kg and another 20kg.

Sorry for the picture quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:07 am 
Fishaholic

Thats one huge barra there Mario... You have inherited the passion from your dad, what better thing can happen to an angler??

Hoping to see your kids with even bigger barras...

Regards,

Dr. Prasad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Super barra Mario.. No wonder you are mad about them and a true outdoor guy ... :))

My younger kid is very keen on angling , since the age of 3, he can identify all Indian game fish. he is 5 now and all set to get started. A true angler material. :))

Soon he will be posting his own catch.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Big Barra Mario! I hope you catch some as bigger or bigger!

Real cute sons you got Santosh! I fondly recall the Beach boys post! I know it got a little highjacked with the number of fish caught etc. but none the less it was gr8 before all of that happened!

Regards,

Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
Real cute sons you got Santosh! Omesh

Thanks Omesh,

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
I know it got a little highjacked with the number of fish caught etc. but none the less it was gr8 before all of that happened!
Regards, Omesh

:roll: :roll:
I guess you should revisit it again.. :lol: :lol:

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.p ... beach+boys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Its clean!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Those are some lovely images Mario and Santo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks all you guys.

For old times. When the thread fins were more common catches.
Where are they Where are they.

@ Santo You are realy a lucky Father thats your sons are very soon in line to get their hands on your takle and you suerly will take pride in letting them use it.. I myself feel very lucky and blessed that i belong to a family that realy supports me with my love for fishing which, in time may mature into Angleing.