->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Tarkarli
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 pm 

These are some photos of my Tarkarli Fishing trip. A detailed post will soon follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwyn
Good show, Congrats.
Did you try out your Loomis & Franklin rod?

Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful! Fish on a lure in the water, now that's a picture that really captures the rush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwyn,

Congrats for the queen. Its a beauty. Ur lucky to hook one.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwyn,

Very nice queen. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics. ... brought back many memories :)))

The reef in first pic. is the place where I have hooked (and lost) many fish.

Santosh

Post subject: Grea catch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:14 pm 
Enlightened

Hi,
That was a good queenie.The other pictures on the boat looked great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:41 am 
Enlightened

Ashwyn

Beautiful fish and a world unknown to me!

I often wander along the coast of my country-Bangladesh and wonder how to fish hose ever inviting waters.

I hope to learn from you and others on this forum!

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:24 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats Ashwin, all the research paid off after all. That queenie is lovely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:35 am 
Fishaholic

Great Pics Ashwyn, looking forward to your detailed post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:14 pm 

Gentlemen, thanks for all your wishes.

The queenie is really a majestic fish. It was the only fish brought back, all the rest were released (hopefully to be caught another day). I told the boat guys that out of all the fish I catch, I will keep one for them and this was the one they wanted.

Caught up in office with loads of work and therefore have not been able to post the story. Planning to put up the story by tomorrow evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwyn,

Hearty Congrats! That a nice Queen. Good Show to release other small ones.

Thanks for sharing the pics with us and looking forward to your detail report.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwin,

Great that you released the smaller fish, next time however you may consider a better handling process for the ones you release.

Bobby :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah Bobby is right, get your self a good Boga grip or any other lip grip of a good company this way you don't remove the protective slime off the fishes body and can safely handle the toothy fish, pose for a picture and safely release it,

Dilip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

great show [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwin,

Great fishing and nice pictures. Would love to hear the complete story that how the fishes hooked you.. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

No it was not the fishes but it was you who was hooked on the other end of the rod.. :P :wink: :lol:

May god bless you..

Keep it up and congratulations.

regards,

Ali.

PS .. I see through the pictures that you in one place and the boatman in othe instance are de hooking the fish very casually.. Take care man or ask Santosh, Mohile sahib or Bobby how it can lead to an accident in a blink of eye..

Post subject: Good show.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwin,

Thats a good catch for sure. That place called tarkarli is a heaven on earth. i plan to go there probably in December. Hope to see you there then.

Whats the gear used Ashwin???

Adios amigo,

Desmond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:58 pm 
Fishaholic

beautiful queen there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 am 
Fishaholic

Great catch. waiting for your report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

looks like you had a good time, a good catch , well done
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:49 pm 

My apologies for the late post, but work has been bit of a bitch lately. This is the trip report for Tarkarli.

We left for Tarkarli on Friday, 4 AM (sharpish). Took NH 4, which is glass smooth, all the way to Kolhapur and made it in 5 hours. After a not so brief stop for breakfast, where a freind who is on this trip decides to have a couple of beers for breakfast, we head towards the Bombay - Goa highway (NH 17), thorugh the ghats and a place called, "Gagan Bawda" (why is it called that and after local inquiries, no one knew, and its not a make beleive name, you can chack the Maharashtra road map).

Now the reason I say "we head towards" and not "we drove towards" above is becasue to dirve, you need a road, and there was no road (maybe in patches, cant be sure). So we did 75 odd kms from Kolhapur through "Gagan Bawda" in about 3 and a half hours, partly due to the road (or rather, the lack of it) and partly because of the freind who made us stop the car 15 times to piss out the beer breakfast.

So after some more bad roads and not so bad roads, we get to Malwan. From here, a narrow lane (litterally!) tuns left to Tarkarli. It is very easy to miss, suggest you make sure you have a navigator to point it out, when you dirve there (or head there, if you come through "Gangan Bawda"). And the lane to Tarkarli stays narrow all the way to Tarkarli and beyond up to Deobagh (seriously, it never broadens enough to be called a road at any point). And then you have the State Transport buses plying on this lane, you get quite an adventure when you get there.

So we get to our hotel at Tarkarli around 2 ish, have our lunch and crash out. The rest of the day is devoted to holiday activities, and arranging a boat for next morning.

Next morning: Wife and me get to the jetty at 5:30 AM (sharp....ish), get on the boat, which Santosh will be happy to know, still has the puny little 8 BHP yamaha outboard motor. To get to the sea, the boat has to drive up the river for about 30 mins, winding through some seriously pretty places. Small virgin beaches all along the way, breathtaking green carperted hills, simply fascinating. Its worth going there (lack of roads not withstanding) just for the beauty of it.

Anyway, back to fishing. While on the boat, I had rigged up the rod and had the lure trawling behind the boat (the boat guys, Sura and Dada, had also put a big mackerel lure on a handline over the side, but were unfortunate not to catch anything).

First bite came when about 200 mtrs. off the reef while trawling. The first run was long, stripping about 75 mtrs of line on heavy set drag. Then a few more runs and had the fish close to the boat. It was the beautiful big queen which is there in the last picture. Then suprisingly it did one more run, where it just went straight down. As per my deal with the boat guys, they let me know that this was the fish they wanted to keep. So Sura expertly gets the Queen in the boat, unhooks it and puts in the hold. I guess they wanted the first fish I caught, cause deep down they thought this guy wouldnt be able to catch anything more. Wrong they would be.

After this, we got near reef and asked the boat guys to hold the boat there. Started casting towards the reef, on the third cast, this time across the reef, the lure was violently hit and reel strated screaming again. The first run again was long. It wasnt fast, but relentless. Then when the fish got close to the boat, realised it was a barracuda. Then I realised that I didnt have a landing net, grip or anything to handle the fish with. My god, what a fish, beautiful and meanacing at the same time. Then, got my wife to hold the rod and get the fish close in to the boat, then wrapping the leader once around my wrist and with one yank, pulled the fish on to the boat. Once on the boat, covered its eyes with a towel and pinned the fish gently (but firmly) down with a plank of wood (just enough so it cannot thrash violently) and unhooked the lure. Then picked up the fish (with the help of the towel) and put it back in the sea.

Now, the above prcedure might not be text book prescribed, or a good way to do it, but I tried to be as gentle as possible and the best I could come up with under the circumstances to ensure neither me or the any of the boat guys lost any fingers. It has also reinforced the need to get a landing net or something to avert this in the future.

Anyway, moving on. The next hour was spent trawling/casting which yielded some more fish, noteable was 1 yellow fin trevally, which is a very pretty fish. All these fish were small and were returned back to sea.

When I had caught about 7-8 fish, decided it was enough. After consultation with my boat freinds, wife and I put on our snorkeling masks and dove in amongst the reefs (the sea was quite calm with no big waves). The water was not very clear with a lot of sediments (I was informed by the boat guys that I should try again in December when the water clears up) but it was an experience none the less. We saw lots of small fish, bat fish, etc. and coral growth along the reef walls.

We headed back ashore shortly thereafter and abck to Bombay. But what a trip, almost spiritual. This is a place I would like to keep going back to again and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanx for taking time to write such a nice report.

Keep it up and go on posting.. :-)

Regards,

Ali.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

nice catch nice post
Cheers!!!
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the trip report. The write up was great.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:05 am 
Fishaholic

ashwyn wrote:
. get on the boat, which Santosh will be happy to know, still has the puny little 8 BHP yamaha outboard motor.

Now, the above prcedure might not be text book prescribed, or a good After consultation with my boat freinds, wife and I put on our snorkeling masks and dove in amongst the reefs (the sea was quite calm with no big waves). .

The last time I was there, I took my brother- in -law on a small 14 /3 ft fibre boat with a 5 hp OBM... right on the reef and the poor soul still curses me for the adventure i gave him. :cry: :cry:

next time you want to dive down near the reef, carry a good knife, yup some big sharks in there, the knife is not for them but in case you get in to discarded nets that are all over the place.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 am 
Fishaholic

Excellent advise Santosh..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:20 pm 

good catch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Catch.
Keep it up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautyful catch , a very good report ! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Good Catch the Ashwyn and a Good piece of Advice from Santo....the best knife is a kitchen devil or any knife with a serrated edge...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
Good Catch the Ashwyn and a Good piece of Advice from Santo....the best knife is a kitchen devil or any knife with a serrated edge...!

Pay heed to the man in the Mask :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
heliox1965 wrote:

Pay heed to the man in the Mask :D

indeed mate the guys knows what he is talking about and if the report is correct from the competition he is some kind of wizard as far as the sea goes :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Great stuff Ashwyn,

dont know how I missed posting on this earlier.

I'm sure you had a blast.

Rajat, u better get your devil / angel knife out & start cooking, I should be down in less than 2 weeks

:o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:02 am 
Fishaholic

Excellent narration Ashwyn,

Wonderful report and some beautiful fishes. I wish you hook some giant travelly next time. And i really wanted that to happen so that you will explain the experience in words which will be very much exciting to us.

Wish you all very best for next trip.

Salmonmani