->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: 2008 Pics
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Here are a couple of pics from last year. I've been a member of IA since 2007, but this the first time I'm postings pics.

Heres a nice Peacock Bass I caught in a canal in South Miami in May. Around six pounds.

Now half way around the world, and about 11,000 ft. higher. These pics are from my trip to my favorite trout lake in the Northern Areas of Pakistan. Its quite remote, about a day's drive from my village, followed by a four hour hike .

I tried to be a flyfishing purist but I didnt catch a single fish on the fly during my three days at the lake. Resorted to medium spinning tackle and floating Rapalas and got fifteen. Ten of which were released.

The weather was horrible, rain, wind and hail/sleet throughout, couldnt even fly cast most of the time.

The trail up to the lake.

The lake.

The biggest fish of the first day, about four pounds

The two bigger fish of the second day, one around three pounds and the other touching five.

All in all it wasnt a bad trip, but even this place, as remote as it is, is not what it used to be. In my childhood the fish would average at around five pounds and anything above ten was considered a good fish. My dad caught an eighteen pounder here. It's still one of the best trout spots in Pakistan though.

Last edited by Ali on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:49 am 
Fishaholic

Fantastic, love the colouring on that Peacock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

nice fish
and beautiful pictures....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject: Re: 2008 Pics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali wrote:
All in all it wasnt a bad trip, but even this place, as remote as it is, is not what it used to be. In my childhood the fish would average at around five pounds and anything above ten was considered a good fish. My dad caught an eighteen pounder here. It's still one of the best trout spots in Pakistan though.

Hi Name Sake,

Nice fishes you have there. Great spot and lovely lake. Keep it up.

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice pics. And what a fantastic trout lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali,

That location looks spectacular. Could you please tell me what mountain range that is in the background?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:46 am 
Fishaholic

Those mountains are the eastern extension of the Hindukush range, the Hindu Raj.

The altitude of the lake is around ten thousand feet and right now its frozen and the valley covered in several feet of snow.

The pics were taken in the middle of August and even then the rain was freezing while coming down. brrrr!

The water actually stays warmer than in other lakes of the region because it's spring fed. The other lakes are full of glacial melt water which is much colder. Thus the trout in this lake grow larger.

Post subject: Re: 2008 Pics
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

Ali wrote:
Heres a nice Peacock Bass I caught in a canal in South Miami in May. Around six pounds.

HI Ali,

thanks for sharing the pics.

I hope you didnt eat the peacock bass.....for its size & weight, it could be full of lead. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a ton Ali!

Ali wrote:
Those mountains are the eastern extension of the Hindukush range, the Hindu Raj.

The altitude of the lake is around ten thousand feet and right now its frozen and the valley covered in several feet of snow.

The pics were taken in the middle of August and even then the rain was freezing while coming down. brrrr!

The water actually stays warmer than in other lakes of the region because it's spring fed. The other lakes are full of glacial melt water which is much colder. Thus the trout in this lake grow larger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:07 pm 
Fishaholic

The peacock was released.

I have tried PB's before, they dont taste very good. Maybe it's the lead.....on the other hand largemouths from the same canal system taste great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali wrote:

Looks to me that this terretory is prime location for the ever elusive Snow Leopard. Am I right. :?: I would love to see this animal in the wild. Hopefully some day.... :-)

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear namesake bhai,

There are supposed to be a few snow leopards at the head of that valley, but I have never seen any or heard any eyewitness accounts of them.

Theyre actually more common in the gorges around my village, go to youtube and look up "snow leopard chitral pakistan" lots of good clips.

This valley has a few black bears though, which is rather odd given the fact this region is beyond the range of the Himalayan Black Bear, and the bear that should be located their is the Brown Bear.

Their have been a few instances of anglers getting the shock of their life upon encountering the black bears drinking from the lake, but luckily no injury has resulted from these incidents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Such a nice pics, I can feel the breeze.
I love that traditional cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:45 am 
Fishaholic

Gud to see u back Fateh.

Must say lovely pix mate. The PB coloring is awesome and what can one say about the great North of Pakistan; breath taking.

Any plans for the future????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for sharing the pictures... I have heard Hindukush range is beautiful please share more pictures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Ali wrote:
Dear namesake bhai,

There are supposed to be a few snow leopards at the head of that valley, but I have never seen any or heard any eyewitness accounts of them.

Theyre actually more common in the gorges around my village, go to youtube and look up "snow leopard chitral pakistan" lots of good clips.

This valley has a few black bears though, which is rather odd given the fact this region is beyond the range of the Himalayan Black Bear, and the bear that should be located their is the Brown Bear.

Their have been a few instances of anglers getting the shock of their life upon encountering the black bears drinking from the lake, but luckily no injury has resulted from these incidents.

I am a total fan of your Mr. Salim and love his film made on snow Leopards. Great Chap and his love for this lovely cat is phenomenal.

Bears are very adoptive and there habitat varies a lot. Still they can give you a fright and often they are dangerous too.

Regards,

Ali.