->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 pm 
Enlightened

Dear Friends,

Was busy on Sunday with my laptop completed work by 3:20 pm, was not sure will go for fishing or not, later a true angler instinct made me to rush by 3:50 after taking bath and Lunch to nearest location on Narmada river.

With my farm keeper after reaching place noticed water level was perfect for good catch, we devoted a coconut to river Narmada, as since many days I was not getting a decent size fish.

I tried many lures like Swim Shad, Rapala Magnum then Dancing Tail, but no luck also the river was full of weeds which it carried from upstream was entangling on lures, destroying lure actions.

Then I decided not to use any swim baits rather shifted to heavy spoon, after 2 or 3 long casting, 100 yards away in current, on deeper side I left it to sink. Got the strike it seems to be 4 or 5 kg Mahaseer in current as Mahaseer is on my mind, I was reeling in and in it did not gave me hard fight like Mahaseer at all but surely not lesser too, I decided to make it tired 3 times I made it run then reel in all over in just in 5 Minutes Was surprised it was Cat fish from fast flowing current.

It turned out to a day to celebrate and SAD TOOooooo.

I let the dust settle down, shifted to other place 100 Meters up stream, changed to other rod loaded with 14lb mono, loaded light weigh Spoon, and few cast, hey I got a bigieee strike all off sudden reel started craking…. I screamed and asked my guy for help, as kept on loose drag, Before I could understand any thing I came to know that fish already gone to heavy current and realized that spool was empty, Mono broken from the Spool knot, even tried my hand on it , got a cut on finger.

It took 80 yards of Mono and spoon along with it. Feeling pitty on it.

Later returned to home, my Son was over exited and he took out his little fishing rod, started practicing on dead cat fish. It was 3.1 Kg Cat fish.

I hope you guys will like the pics.

Rgds,
Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats a Good Size Catfish Congrats! Next time make sure you check your drag after the cast :P And whats up with all of your guys ...This father and son thing.. Everyone whose got a son is following fathers foot steps or is it that are forced to??

Once again a good catch Anoop and whats up with the nickname "Finebaba" sounds like "Pilotbaba" Amrishpuri :) LOL

Regards - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:13 am 
Fishaholic

Anoop.
That's a lovely fish but looking at the second photo you were very lucky not to have broken your new rod.
Lifting bigger fish with a rod is generally a bad idea but lifting a fish and holding the rod near the tip puts huge presures on a tiny bit of carbon.

Right. Now I'm off to look up the Narmada river. I wan't one of those babies !

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:53 am 
Fishaholic

Anoop! that is a very nice Malli (Wallagu attu). Great catch mate. And yes they do take plugs, spoons and spinners in fast water. Good fighters too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Anoop,

Nice catch. We in Assam call it Borali. The fish is tasty too.

It is sad to loose spoons and lines. Every angler has lost good tackles in the quest for big fishes. With that you will fine tune your techniques and do better in the future.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:58 am 
Fishaholic

Yeah nice good size BUAL (Wallagu attu). Your wife would have made a nice curry with it... Good going buddy. What lure did land it with? Hey I would stick to Ken's advice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:13 am 
Enlightened

Nice fish...but as Ken says....you were very lucky not to break your rod....ask me I know from experience :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 am 
Fishaholic

Anoop,

Great catch and nice pics. Particularly the one with your Kid. :wink:

Its best to start them out young yeah.

Be careful the way you handle your rod man. you could have lost your rod as well.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

Good malli and nice narration. Keep it up and next time make sure that your drag is tight.

:lol: Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Anoop, nice picture of you 'wrassaling' that mulley...surprised the rod held up :lol: :lol: :lol: did it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:51 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks guys!!!,

Will surely follow the suggestions.

Actulay i didnt carry landing net that day, else things minght have easy for me to handle it, also was aware of its lazer sharp tooth.

About the SAD part the knot broken :- my experience was that I was not expecting such big one there on small spoon, which was close to thrift, doubled the power.

I have used 3 inch Silver heavy wieght Spoon. Had braided 20lb line on Michel 6000 Spinning reel and Fenwick Eagle 8ft Rod for Cat fish.

Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:04 pm 
Enlightened

Ken L wrote:
Right. Now I'm off to look up the Narmada river. I wan't one of those babies !

Ken

Ken you are most welcome plan some time we will have good sessions.

Not only Cat but many Species... especialy Silver Mahaseer. :-)

Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
Yeah nice good size BUAL (Wallagu attu). Your wife would have made a nice curry with it.

Curry....Nah.. some good fish pakoras with XXX rum :D :D

Nice fish buddy

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:43 am 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:
Curry....Nah.. some good fish pakoras with XXX rum :D :D -Inder

Yeah.....:D