->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:14 pm 

Greetings from a very cold and icy UK,

I am a friend of Scott (worldfisher) and travelled to India in 2006 with him for barramundi and mahseer fishing in Goa and Karnataka. I have been asked by fellow forum member 'Rajatmukherje' to post some pictures of the 20lb pike I caught recently back here in the UK:

This one weighed 20lb 6oz and was caught by fishing a deadbait 'sink and draw' style around the margins of the lake. It is the biggest pike I have caught after many years of trying to get one bigger than 20lbs. Very pleased!

These 2 are between 16 and 18 lbs and were caught earlier this season by floatfishing static deadbaits. Also from the same lake.

In the summer period I fish alot for the Sea Bass which are very similar to Barramundi in their habits and ways but do not grow as large. The British Bass record is just over 20lbs. These days they are very pressured due to extreme overfishing and consequently their numbers are not what they once used to be, therefore fishing for them is a real challenge and a good fish a very rewarding experience. Anything over 5lbs is considered a good catch these days....

My best of 2008 at around 10lbs. I returned the fish as it is a large breeding female to leave it in peace. This was caught by fishing a large mackerel bait in the surf at close range.

The smaller ones happily take lures too, heres one taken on a chug-bug surface popper.

This one took a Rapala J-11.

In mid-summer we also have an inshore migration of small shark species called 'smoothounds'. They move in large packs preying on many species of crabs as they become soft and edible during the moulting process. They grow to around 25lbs, this one was in to mid-double figures. They fight extremely hard fromthe shore too. This was caught fishing a soft crab at 75yards from the shore.

One final picture for you guys. This is a freshwater Barbel. they are one of the hardest fighting fish in our rivers, growing to around 20lbs max. This one took a lump of flavoured meat fished hard on the bottom in a weirpool and weighed 12lbs. A real good looking fish.

Many thanks for reading and I hope you like the pictures. Tight lines for 2009 to you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

very nice report n pics... [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pictures Sam! I love the way pike look. I mean they are so perfectly built for the purpose of predation. That triple fin end must generate a lot of power. Do they fight long and hard? Or are they rockets that fizzle out after a short burst of power?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pics mate. the Barbels a real beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Sam great report and Pics some excellent catches there Mate i must say. I really liked the pike pics thanks a ton for sharing . when are you coming to India next? look us up in Mumbai when you are here. I wish you tight lines for 2009 too
cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 pm 
Fishaholic

nice pictures mate and a variety of fish caught.....
wish you year ahead full of fishes

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

:wink: Nice Pics Mate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:00 pm 
Enlightened

Hi,

Very nice show.

Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam
Congrats on your 20+ lbs Pike.
Nice post. Enjoyed the pics.
Tight lines.
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:26 am 

Mahaseerken wrote:
Nice pictures Sam! I love the way pike look. I mean they are so perfectly built for the purpose of predation. That triple fin end must generate a lot of power. Do they fight long and hard? Or are they rockets that fizzle out after a short burst of power?

They are master ambush predators and can be found lurking around snags or in weedbeds where they race out with amazing speed to snatch their prey. In the warmer months when the water temperatures are up then the pike fights amazingly hard, often jumping, tailwalking and performing acrobatics. In winter they are a little more subdued in line with the water temperatures and their corresponding lower metabolism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:48 am 

Thanks for all your replies guys! :D

I have a few more pictures for you all:

A big fat common carp.

Thornback Ray.

Lovely Tench.

A specimen thick-lip mullet.

Perch.

Wells Catfish.

Allis Shad.

Sea-Trout.

Grass Carp.

Me and Ken L (fellow IA forum member) with a couple of Querim Barramundi from our trip to India in 2006.

Me, Scott (worldfisher) and Angelo with some nice mangrove jacks and a barramundi also from 2006.

And of course the beautiful Mahseer from our Cauvery trip also in 2006.

Thanks for looking guys! All these pictures and talk of fishing makes me want to get out there and catch a few! :wink: But it's freezing cold here and the fish are not biting, I have been out for the last 2 afternoons to brave the cold and not one single bite.....roll on the spring!

All the best for now,

Sam.

Last edited by samfish on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Some nice fish there matey. Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Sam some superb catch there matey good show keep posting :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Fantastic stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

nice show thanks foe sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 pm 

Good too see that you can get good size fish in the uk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:14 pm 

rajatmukherje wrote:
Hey Sam some superb catch there matey good show keep posting :D :D

Ok I have been searching through my photos and have found some more interesting ones of some fish, beautiful places where we fish, amazing scenery etc... I hope you like them!

This is a photo of my brother, he is currently travelling in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. He spent a day fishing at one of the Thai commercial fisheries and caught the biggest Arapaima in the lake. 220lb (100kg+). It's an amazing concept taking these fish native to South America and growing them on in Asia for use in these fisheries. I think the grin on his face says it all though....lucky guy!

Scott, Ken L and a fellow called Steve? fishing from the Flat Rock near Arambol, Goa 2006.

Surf fishing for Bass in the Channel Island off the NW coast of France.

A very greedy little bass with eyes bigger than his belly!

My local river in the autumn, many good pike and sea-trout can be taken here.

Feeding the crocodiles whilst barramundi fishing in Australia.

A beautiful roach, I think one of the prettiest fish in our freshwaters.

The old, derelict pier that burnt down a few years ago along my local beach.

Amazing sunset seen in the Northern Territory of Australia.

The Seven Sisters. Some great fishing to be had under the cliffs.

Whitsunday Islands, Australia. Many huge stingrays and sand sharks can be seen in the shallow water. No fishing though as it's a protected marine park.

My local beach calming down after a heavy storm.

A nice fishing spot known as 'Splash Point'.....I wonder why? :-)

Close up of the business end of a pike...amazing colours and markings.

Well thats about the lot I reckon......I need to go fishing now :lol:

Tight lines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:08 am 
Fishaholic

mate can just image you sitting in with a cupper and reflecting on the fishing gone by! going to be a long winter i tell you.
vikram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Great pictures. But they are making me incredibly restless. Dam I hate winter. Can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit. Even the fish in my daughter's aquarium are hugging the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:09 pm 

It's been the coldest winter for many years back here in UK. The temeratures have been as low as -12 some nights. Today there is a thick layer of ice on everything outside my window. It looks amazing. I must get out and take some photos today as it is a rare occurance to see everthing like this. Like you say it's going to be a long winter! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:59 am 

Ok, so made it out to take some snaps in the arctic conditions...here you go.... :-) Pretty chilly but looking good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:42 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pics and thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:54 pm 
Fishaholic

very beautiful pictures there sam
i have an itch to put some pictures as well
i think i will upload few pictures of my office that i took today
we have lots or migrating birds
will upload it as soon as possible....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Samfish for Amazing pictures, of both fishes and UK winter landscapes.

Thanks for sharing. Which is the best season for fishing in U.K.? My nephew stays at Croydon and I am planning to make a trip there. I might as well do fishing there if you could suggest me the best month for fishing.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 pm 

Hi Arun,

Undoubtedly the best time would be the summer months as there is a wide variety of fishing to be had in both the sea and freshwater, also the days are much longer then too.

I think from June untill October is the best time. Lots of options then.

If you come to the uk please feel free to contact me via PM if you are interested in meeting for some fishing. I live only 35 miles from Croydon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, Samfish,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I shall definitely contact you on PM, once I fix my visit.

Thanks very much indeed for inviting me to join you for Fishing in UK.

Warm Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:07 pm 
Fishaholic

The season for coarse fishing on UK rivers runs from June 16th to March 15th so don't go planning an early June visit if you want to fish the rivers.
Light lure fishing is probably my favorite summer pastime and chub are my main target. I would say that if you fancy trying this, the first three months of the season are the time to do it because as soon as the chilly nights set in, the chub are much harder to target with lures. Warm summer temperatures are also when any pike that you hook are likely to jump and generally give a good acount of themselves.

Sam, When do you find that the bass start hitting lures consistantly along the south coast ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:22 pm 

Hi Ken,

Can be patchy at the best of times, but I find the biggest spring tides around the september equinox and on untill the end of october are your best chance of a good inshore bass migration with the larger specimens. The sea temperatures are at their highest then so the bass are literally munching everything in sight and the lure fishing can be great. With the late summers we've been experiencing recently then November should not be ruled out either if the conditions are right.

I have found that earlier in the season you really are relying on prolonged settled periods of weather and clearer water for the sport on the lures. If it's blowing a gale and the water is coloured up (like the summer just gone) then bait fishing during the bigger tides is the way to go. Too much rain and freshwater pouring into the sea from the many rivers along my stretch of coast is the kiss of death.

If we get the settled weather and clear water then from may onwards you are in with a good chance. I'm praying for a good summer this year, the last was a washout!

You are always welcome down south for a bit of bass action anytime, drop me a line if you fancy it.

Sam.

Last edited by samfish on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:40 pm 
Fishaholic

May well do that. Living so far in land makes my bassing exploits a bit limited. I have a bash in mid Wales once in a while and sometimes get a day or two in south Devon in July or August. I get a few bass (as well as wrasse and Pollock) on lures but so far, the biggest fish (to 11lbs) have all come to bait.
As you say, last year was pants and I hardly did any fishing and didn't dip a line in the salt in the UK at all. Hopefully, 09 will see a few more fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:49 pm 

I have all the marks and tides well sussed so the hard work is all done. You just can't beat being under those majestic chalk cliffs with a good bend in your rod. It's one hell of a hike up hill and down dale though and waders are a must. I'll give you a heads up later in the year when things start to happen.

Have you read the two books written by John Darling? -

1)Shore Fishing
2)Bass fishing from boat and shore.

He lived in Seaford, East Sussex and devoted his lifetime to fishing and documenting these areas. What he did'nt know was'nt worth knowing! God rest his soul.

Well worth dipping into. Got my copies cheap on flea-bay.

Last edited by samfish on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Never read his books but I do remember some of the stuff he wrote for "Angling Times". I might try to track the books down because I've just googled them and they appear to have been universally well recieved for the quality of both his writting and his photography.
I do like a tinking angler (which is what he appears to have been) because I enjoy the process of learning how to catch more than the next man almost as much as going out there and doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:57 am 

I guarantee you wont be disappointed! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:
very beautiful pictures there sam
i have an itch to put some pictures as well

as promised
here i put few of them

LONE FLEMINGO

Migratory Birds
was able to take them when they were taking on the flight

View from my office (backwater starts from my office baundary)

Birds and Power Plant in background

Lone Herring

Unedited Beauty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:44 pm 
Fishaholic

i was wondering how fihsing will be in backwaters
its not deep at all.... at shore during high tide it is 2-3 feet deep and during low tide it goes back 500 plus meters....
can anyone put some light on backwater fishing and possibilities of hits...
i have always seen minnows in action (and felt that they are running for their life) but never tried fishing here....
your advice is highly appericiated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:02 pm 

Hozefa,

Thanks for posting the pictures, it sure looks alot warmer in your pictures than mine! So thats where all the birds have gone, can't say I blame them!

As for the fishing there, if you are seeing the small fish leaping to escape hungry jaws then maybe it is worth a go. Do you see big swirls from the predators when chasing the smaller fish? If so then you could be in business...

I would try wading out if it's safe and using a small spoon or spinner or using fly-fishing tackle with a small fish imitation if you have the gear. Give it a try.....you just never know - this is the beauty of fishing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam,

The diversity of fishes and location is really breath taking. A very nice collection you have there. I know it will be real hard to wait for the winter to end and then hit the waters again. Thanks for sharing the photographs of amazing fishes and locations.
The Barble and Pike are very nice looking.

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Some excellent info and pics there sam keep them coming cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:24 am 

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share a few more pictures from recent weeks. The weather is still cold here and the fishing very slow. I have manged to sneak a few hours fishing in here and there with mixed results, another few weeks and things should start to improve....hopefully!!

Here is a picture of my friend Ron, he came to the lake where I have been fishing all year and caught the biggest pike to come out in many years...23lb's in weight and on his first try at the lake....beginners luck I reckon...a very beautiful fish!!! I just popped up to say hello and thankfully had the camera with me to record the capture.

I also found a nice brown trout hanging in my local river....a big fat worm soon proved his downfall!

and a big, fat chub that also had a taste for a worm! Not too bad considering it's been very cold and icy here for many weeks, bring on the sunshine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful fish. And about that beginner's luck, I hate the dam thing as I never had any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:25 pm 

Finally the seasons are turning and we have had some nice spring weather. Warm sunshine and blue skies for a whole week!! Almost unheard of in the UK.

The rivers are now closed for 3 months to leave the fish in peace to breed so it's a tricky time here for fishing. With the rivers shut and the sea not yet warm enough to bring the summer fish inshore we are limited for options. By May the sea fishing should be in full swing with the bass, mackerel, bream, garfish, smoothounds and tope available but untill then it's time for some flyfishing for trout. Heres a couple of pics from last weekend......

Nice rainbow trout caught on a Gold Head Nymph with floating line and 12 foot fluorocarbon leader.

Roll on the summer....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Thats a beauty of trout there matey congrats tight lines for the season :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Pix mate,

thats a great collection of fish you got there. expecially the trout pix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 am 

We tried for the Perch this weekend at a lake near to home, it has turned cold again which made the fishing a little slow. We still managed to catch our target species but not quite the sizes we were looking for, still good fun on nice and light tackle. Successful baits were worms and small-fish livebait....

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:12 pm 

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have been on IA as have been very busy with work. I have manged to sneak a few fishing sessions in with a few nice bass and lots of beautiful black bream from a trip out on a friends boat. Hope you like the pictures:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

some very nice fish there mate keep it up :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm 
Fishaholic

rAJATDA ... MACHE JOL !!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:09 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pics and nice catches. Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:

I know buddy over due just give me couple of days more just raping up an ad film and then we are having a party at home :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
Fredfish wrote:

just raping up an ad film :D

You are one sex starved bong with a broken hand for company ... im sure u meant "rapping up " . If not count me out of that Mache Jol Jal dinner still your plaster comes off and you have amply satisfied all carnal urges :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just Joking pal .... keep the shirt on ... lemme know whens the party ... im off to Singapore for a day on Sunday night and back monday evening ... U need anything ???? gimme a call ... if i have the time ( which I never do ) will pick up .. and i dont have place for the BMW X 5 in my luggage as I dont have no luggage :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:45 pm 
Fishaholic

you know fred the only thing i want is the protec popping rod
Model no PT-MP804-2S lght 8'0" Drag 10kg Jigwght 100-180g
it would be really great if you can mange cheers :D :D I will make a special dinner for you that's a promise [smilie=coolup.gif]