->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Caught Today
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

I caught them today at my own pond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey thats a Nice Catch man :)

Have fun playing...

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 pm 
Fishaholic

What fish is that, Apoo?

Rustam

P.S.: Can you get landing nets locally or are these also imported?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

I bought this landing net from Srinagar. (Sunchaser supermarket)

Earlier I used to ask the net makers to make a net for the frame I made for the landing net. Since they were made from 6mm sleel, they were very heavy.

I am going to Vaishno Devi Temple on 3rd of Nov. Srinagar is around 300km from there. I may go there to look for angling materials. If you need one let me know. I can get it for you. I lost the bill but i remember it was for 1100/-. Still it is a great thing for me as at times when you land a fish (big one) what happens the fish breaks the line or the hook. Now a days I dont lose a single fish.

I will try to find out the bill and let you know the exact amount of the landing net.

Regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

I am myself confused regarding the big fish. It does not look like katla or even rohu. We have one more fish in our ponds for the bottom feeding which we call mirika which looks like rohu only but they dont have the red colour in their body and they are slim like the rohu only. This fish had the body like the katla but from the size of the head it says it is not a katla.

Now I wont be able to tell you from my side as the fish had been brought to the table and there is nothing left for the post mortem.

regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

What are the dimensions of the net and length of the rod? May be interested, though the first preference is for a telescopic type so that it takes up less place.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

The net cost me 1195/- and the length is about 5.5 to 6ft. It is a two pc telescopic, aluminium handle and frame with rubber grips and it can be folded into two pcs. I had seen the telescopic net there at Srinigar. It was a little costly and the handle was fibreglass. I had a lot of experience in breaking fibre glass rods, so i did not go for it. The length is also around 8-10ft. When folded, the circular part stays in a semi circular sjape. It is a disadvantage also. You cant pack it properly. You can have a look at my site

http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/apoonbubun/detail?.dir=471ascd&.dnm=a116scd.jpg

http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/apoonbubun/detail?.dir=471ascd&.dnm=9682scd.jpg&.src=ph

When folded, it can be packed in a airbag also.

Regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:34 am 
Fishaholic

Apoo,

Your net should do. Will let you know closer to your date of departure if I haven't got one by then.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

What you can do is call up Azaz Ahmed(owner of Sunchaser mall) at 0194-473850 ank ask the availability of those nets. He keeps a few tackle boxes also. But charges a lot saying he had to pay a lot of import duty. You can give my referance as the customer from Assam.

Regards,
Apoo

P.S: I am sending you a letter (you know why) via the same one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

Check out if any body can bring you stuff from Mumbai as these people buy it from there only.

Regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="apoo"]Hi Rustam,

I am myself confused regarding the big fish. It does not look like katla or even rohu. We have one more fish in our ponds for the bottom feeding which we call mirika which looks like rohu only but they dont have the red colour in their body and they are slim like the rohu only. This fish had the body like the katla but from the size of the head it says it is not a katla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="apoo"]Hi Rustam,

I am myself confused regarding the big fish. It does not look like katla or even rohu. We have one more fish in our ponds for the bottom feeding which we call mirika which looks like rohu only but they dont have the red colour in their body and they are slim like the rohu only.

Can't see the tail, but it looks to be a Mirgal. Certainly not the Catla, which has a deeper body and a very distinguished upper lip that is shorter than the lower lip.
The Mirgal tail is pointed.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 pm 
Enlightened

Don't you think it might be a good idea for the future having a new topic or fish databank showing pics of all the different game species caught by members. I notice that even for many of the Indian members it seems to be very difficult to decide or know about a species name. Literature about this matter is rare and often only displaying old unclear plates. The best I found till date is GAME FISHES OF INDIA AND ANGLING (sorry forgot about the authors) and a very scientific book with a identification key (no I idea about the title, have to check at home).

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Dr Hora's ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:54 pm 
Enlightened

No it is written or compiled by Raj Tilak & Uma Sharma. Is there really a book by Dr Hora? I thought his work to be acticles written for a Mumbai scientific periodical only?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes that's right it was for a periodical. Haven't been able to get my hands on any of them.
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Apoo, for some reason the pics are not opening on my PC.. However going by wat u have said regarding this fish, its something which we call locally as a Nadim.. This is a result of when a rohu poking his business when two adult catlas are doing their "thing" :twisted:
So basically u get a fish that has a body structure comprising of both parents. Either a body of rohu and head of catla ( which happens in most cases) or vice versa..

Them freaks be strong !!! :wink: Mixed genes and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Hey Apoo, for some reason the pics are not opening on my PC.. However going by wat u have said regarding this fish, its something which we call locally as a Nadim.. This is a result of when a rohu poking his business when two adult catlas are doing their "thing" :twisted:
So basically u get a fish that has a body structure comprising of both parents. Either a body of rohu and head of catla ( which happens in most cases) or vice versa..

Them freaks be strong !!! :wink: Mixed genes and all that.

Soon we'll have Rohtlas and Catlus being caught on this forum :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Soon we'll have Rohtlas and Cutlus being caught on this forum

I was wondering why they call it Nadim. Now I know. :mrgreen:

TAXI!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

[smilie=ebil-thumbup.gif] [smilie=grinz.gif] [smilie=grinz.gif]

There goes another thread, crashing into Rustam's gutter!