->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Personal Record Fish
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:15 am 
Fishaholic

Alligator Gar caught yesterday on the Trinity river, Texas. 7ft 5inches, 218lbs, 38inch girth. Caught on a 1lb piece of carp with a Salt Striker 8ft rod, Tidewater reel, 100lb Power Pro braid, 8/0 treble hook. I included a picture of the river to show how small and tranquil it is yet it contains such monsters. There are bigger ones there. Also included a picture of the teeth as someone on the forum had enquired about them. Not a pretty sight if the fish clamps down on your arm, leg etc. as they have tremendous jaw pressure.

Fish was released and it did swim away.

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=136&i=riversmallcn6.jpg][IMG]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/22/riversmallcn6.a3c6a5aa88.jpg[/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:58 am 
Fishaholic

Congratulations!!!
How was the fight? You must have had a great time.
Looking at the size of the stream, did it make a long run,and did you catch it from the boat.
Sorry, too many questions,but just curiosity !!
Syd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:35 am 
Fishaholic

WOW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

WOW
thats a huge fish and now i know why they are called ALLIGATOR GAR
looking at those set of teeth i think it can really rip open any thing.....
congrats on the catch
keep them coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Its amazing that such monsters lurk in these tranquil waters.. Great catch! Cheers.Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:43 am 

WOW that is an amazing looking fish it must have put up a lovley fight! :P congratulations on your new PB! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:47 am 
Fishaholic

Sydney, basically you need a boat as these fish will run with the bait either upstream or down. But landing it from shore is much easier once you have played the fish (or it has finished playing with you). For instance, this fish ran around a submerged tree so we had to take the boat to prevent entanglement. It then decided to suddenly swim under the boat so we cut the engine. Then the line caught on the transom so the fish was now pulling the boat sideways upstream. If ever there was an endorsement for Power Pro braid this was it. It then cooperatively stopped while I got the line free and we took the boat to shore. For the next 30 or so minutes I thought the line or rod would break as this fish will randomly run, roll, even tail-walk. Well, finally I managed to get it close to shore and and my friend slipped a "stretcher" (old tennis net and two bamboo poles) underneath it and drag it on to shore.
Both my friend and I are pretty active guys but at the end of this catch-weigh-measure-photograph-release episode we were aching in places I did not know existed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
Both my friend and I are pretty active guys but at the end of this catch-weigh-measure-photograph-release episode we were aching in places I did not know existed.

:roll: :lol:

Great fish and beautiful fight. Looks to me that it was a dream fight. Congratulation on your recod fish and keep it up.
Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:33 pm 

Whats the unhooking tool MM? or can you hold the jaws open with a billy/priest or something?brrr, scary thought!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Whats the unhooking tool MM? or can you hold the jaws open with a billy/priest or something?brrr, scary thought!! :shock:

Jefe ,,, MM carry's Jeff Corwin in his tackle box :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

lovely monster!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats amazing that such monster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:19 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Whats the unhooking tool MM?

What's wrong with using your hands? You shove your arm in up to your shoulder and gently uhook. Bob's your uncle. You don't believe me? How about if I told you that I made a 40 inch, 3/16 inch diameter, steel rod with a sharp S bend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:21 am 

Impressive. That's simply one of the biggest I've seen caught on rod and line. Quite a serious capture, it must be exhilirating to fight a fish in relatively close-quarters like that knowing it's not coming up too quickly. I'm imagining the fight being similar to a very big pike or arapaima..

I think since most people value their arms, the S bend seems the most plausible option. :-)

Well done!
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I'm imagining the fight being similar to a very big pike or arapaima..

Pike, of course, don't get nearly as large but do present a decent fight. Arapaima or pirarucu do get as big but resign quite readily from what I've been told. I once had a student of mine from Manaus (Amazonia) who told me about arapaimas being caught on hand lines. Not a thing to try with gar.
Carpe diem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

Nice fish, have you seen or heard any first hand case/record where someone had a part of his body in those jaws?

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:42 pm 

MM, i use an old graphite no 5 club shaft with a u bend as a snake hook-have managed with upto 9-10ft king cobras, but those jaws are ...scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Nice fish, have you seen or heard any first hand case/record where someone had a part of his body in those jaws?

Bobby,
As I had mentioned in another post a fellow standing in the boat in shorts had his calf raked by those teeth as a gar violently thrashed about. It took 61 stitches to sew him up after much loss of blood. It's a fact that gar roe is poisonous so gar saliva in one's bloodstream doesn't sound too attractive.

Can't say I've seen or heard about direct bites to human limbs as gar guys are very wary of these powerful jaws but I know of a hardwood oar being snapped in half by a miffed gar. The damage is done not by the bite itself but by the massive torque of that muscular body after it locks down on whatever. I don't think your tibia will present much resistance. But you're welcome to visit me and we can try!!

All the best

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
I don't think your tibia will present much resistance. But you're welcome to visit me and we can try!!

mm

Thanks for the invite mm and glad you spoke in the plural, I watch and you dangle those tibia in the water, no socks, lets see if the old shins hold up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting to note the roe is poisonous. And congrats on that record, hope you better it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch and great fight MM really congrats looks like you having a hell o wa good time in that great state of Texas I visited it couple of time was not into fishing then otherwise surely would have tried to catch up with you. May be next time if I manage to do another film there in the mean while tight lines keep them coming pal
Rajat [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:28 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
And congrats on that record, hope you better it soon

Thanks to all. The trouble with catching something like this is like winning big at the gaming table..... you keep going back to roll the dice. The ideal conditions for gar are June-September so I'll be on the river every opportunity I get. So come on down and we'll roll them dice. Who knows, we may hit the jackpot. I don't think I caught the last or the largest fish in the river.

Happy trails,

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Congrats MM, that's a super PB!

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

That is an act of bravery, very dangerous fishing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:26 pm 
Fishaholic

(Hi MM this is a forum to dicuss about catching fish and not alligators and crocodiles)

WELL DONE. I am sure you still will be dreaming about the fight the fish put up! But tell me, what do these fish normally feed upon?

RAVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
But tell me, what do these fish normally feed upon?

A study done on several hundred gars found that, very surprisingly, the majority of food in their stomachs were shad, which is a small baitfish. They also found several larger fish such as catfish, carp, perch, also ducks, snakes, nutria (a kind of beaver), and wild boar piglets. There are plenty of boar on the river and are sometimes seen swimming across with their piglets in tow. A friend whacked one with an oar and supped well that evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
A friend whacked one with an oar and supped well that evening.

:o ... Aren't these wild boar aggressive?? can't think of doing some thing like that with our local ones though.

Regards,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Phew!!! Just got a kinda feeling that we play with the minnows :(
Congratulations MM,

Regards
Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:00 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Aren't these wild boar aggressive?? can't think of doing some thing like that with our local ones though.

Yes they are. On land they will chase you into a tree. The aforementioned whacking was done while the sounder of pig was swimming across the river. Easy pickings.

Saiki, size does not matter. Size matters. Depends how you look at it. I still enjoy very much catching a 3kg maral. Eating biriyani every day would get boring. However, a 7 foot 5, 218lbs plate of biriyani every so often, I will admit, is terrific!!

Post subject: hi MM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:51 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats for the monstor fish caught. did u use a leader wire ahead of the powerpro??
regards,
spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:11 am 
Fishaholic

Spoonangler, yes, I use a 40 inch 180lb stainless seven-strand leader that I crimp myself to the hook and to a swivel. The PowerPro wouldn't last too long without this leader.
Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey there MM,

Great Catch mate. Thats one hell of a fish. How long did it take you to land that buger.

Great going. Whats the biggest Gar caught on Line and Rod yet????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:18 am 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
Hey there MM,

Great Catch mate. Thats one hell of a fish. How long did it take you to land that buger.

Great going. Whats the biggest Gar caught on Line and Rod yet????

It took about 30-45 minutes I think. The world record for rod and reel is also in Texas, and I believe it is 296lbs, taken in the 1950's. I am determined to catch one larger and I think we have found the location where very, very big fish lurk. But how I will land this beast I'm not so sure.
BTW, since this has been posted I have got many enquiries from people wanting to visit me from all over the world!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
BTW, since this has been posted I have got many enquiries from people wanting to visit me from all over the world!!!!!!

Come on mate, it is just that you are such a likeable guy…don’t for a moment think it was because of that fish :lol: :lol:

But sincerely hope you succeed in your quest to better the best,going 300+ will be some achievment. All the best mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:10 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Come on mate, it is just that you are such a likeable guy…don’t for a moment think it was because of that fish

Thanks Bobby, but there are some that might disagree with you. Ask that bum Cauvery Cowboy. No, these are guys that wouldn't travel 50km to see Jesus riding a surfboard. But when they see a fish like this they come knocking on my door.
Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

:lol: :lol: :lol: that tickles..but come to think of it I would not go to see Jesus surf either :lol: :lol: :lol: Sienna Miller, different story.