->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 7:52 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Guys,

Check this artificial Saltwater fishing pond in Hong Kong. A good place to teach kids how to fish if the real thing is not good enough.

I dont fish here, I'm the guy that gets the drinks and snacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Looks like a perfect place to teach kids how to fish. It's nice when kids go out on a trip and catch something otherwise they tend to get pretty bored.
Once they start and catch fish regularly they'll be hooked for life!

Mighty M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Just received a call from Eljefe. He's on his way to the airport... :mrgreen:

That's a brilliant idea! We have pretty decent lake (Ulsoor lake) 5 minutes from my place and literally across the road from Eljefe's but they don't permit the public to angle there as it's given out on contract. :roll:

What type of fish do you get there and is it restricted to bank fishing only?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:15 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam/MM,

For me its abnormal and unrewarding, I don’t fish here, but it is a great place to teach kids so I occasionally take mine there.

I prefer going there on week days as it is can get really crowded on weekends. People in Hong Kong do not know/have too many wild places that you can go too to fish. Also a lot of people here are spoilt and can be weird/lazy when it comes to walking that extra mile especially when there is no financial reward :roll: .

The picture at the top is my daughter with a fish on, I think it was a Redfish but I did not see it. It broke the line, she was using my reel with 4lb line.

Water is pumped from the sea into the pond almost continuously, the pump brings along a lot of life along with water. I know for certain that shrimp and fish are spawning in that pond as I have seen several fry there.

As for what fish you get, it depends on what fish they stock in there. Normally there are:
Permit
Rock Cod
Redfish
Barramundi
Croakers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
That's a brilliant idea! We have pretty decent lake (Ulsoor lake) 5 minutes from my place and literally across the road from Eljefe's but they don't permit the public to angle there as it's given out on contract. :roll:

Hey Rustam,

My first fishing trips with Prathap when we both were in college together were to Sankey tank and Ulsoor lake (early 90's). We both made6ft, 6-piece bamboo canes that we carried in our college bags and took of during the lunch break to fish. Eventually we spent more time at Ulsoor/Sankey/TG halli than at college.
I remember one day when we landed up at the lake at 4am and fished till 11pm. Our main catch was tilapia and we'd land the occasional carp.
After the lake was emptied and the fence came up it became harder to fish and we eventually stopped. Most of our fishing there was on bait, maida with a liberal dose of vanilla essence and idli form a small canteen in Ulsoor. We became quite famous among the angling farternity there that comprised of drunks, ganja sellers and general good for nothings :lol:
Hmm those were good days when the line was light and fish were small!

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Eventually we spent more time at Ulsoor/Sankey/TG halli than at college.

Should have moved to B'lore earlier...

Quote:
After the lake was emptied...

Are you refering to the cleaning that took place a year or two back or much earlier?

Bobby, thanks for the list of fish. Can understand you not being excited about fishing in that tank but I would enjoy it - better than nothing.

Rustam[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I actually stopped fishing there after there was a fish kill at the lake. How fish survived in there in the first place.... I have no idea :shock: :shock: But it was full of pint sized tilapia..... not like the ones we see at the WASI lake.

the stormwater drains used to empty into the lake back then and they were full of sewage. Place got pretty nasty at one point and we just called it a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
But it was full of pint sized tilapia..... not like the ones we see at the WASI lake.

Still....beats catching for mahseer you can't reel in. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:19 pm 
Enlightened

Wow...Bobby- is it a natual salt water body ? ...Good way to get people hooked to a this sport..wonder if something like that would work in Bangalore...
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Belli,

It is a man-made pond the water is natural seawater that they pump in from a close by channel/gutter that brings in the saltwater from the sea.

The problem with Banglore would be stocking the place, in Hong Kong the live fish (for food) market is so large that it is easy to buy fish from farms and stock these ponds...

You pay to fish, you have a limit on the weight=type of fish you can take, if you do not catch fish (which is almost never) or catch fish short of the limit they will give you fish from a tank near by or if you are slightly short may be a few bottles of drinking water to help you on your way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Mighty Marlin wrote:
But it was full of pint sized tilapia..... not like the ones we see at the WASI lake.

Still....beats catching for mahseer you can't reel in. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let's keep it on that thread? Shall we? And spare poor Bobby's thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:16 pm 
Fishaholic

belli wrote:
Wow...Bobby- is it a natual salt water body ? ...Good way to get people hooked to a this sport..wonder if something like that would work in Bangalore...
Belli

Couldn't agree with you more Belli. I wish we had a similar pond here in Bangalore stocked with freshwater fish.

Perfect place to spend a free afternoon and stay out of trouble. I'm sure something like this would work very well in Bangalore. Anyone here willing to start a new business? Have a feeling it would do really well

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
Anyone here willing to start a new business? Have a feeling it would do really well

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Or somebody needs to give a hint to those contractors at Ulsoor Lake :wink:

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:09 am 
Enlightened

Mighty M.....I am sure we could get something like this going out here....just have to work with the people who get the contrats for the lakes & do some good marketing.....we should talk about this over coffee..what say..
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Just say when Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Do I get the be an honorary member?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Sure thing Bobby,

As soon as I get Belli to do the needful.