->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Largest Catfish ever
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Cant beat this i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Holy Crap!

Wels Catfish??? Where did you get the pix. I have seen some stunning videos on Youtube about catching them in France.

Need to get me one of those too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:04 pm 
Fishaholic

heard anglers in Italy catch big Cats with lures.. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Fish of 100 lbs.+ are fairly common in the Ebro in Northern Spain.

Their is a lake near to the University where I did my LLB in England that was stocked full of em. Trouble is my only buddy with a car was an anti-fishing freak, so I spent my time lure fishing for pike in the river that ran through town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:40 am 
Fishaholic

Santosh!

Do a 'Wels Cat Fishing's search on youtube or metacafe and you'll see how people jig for them using artificials. The lure is some kind of squid like thing with a bit of bait on the hooks. Pretty interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:20 am 
Fishaholic

I have an article saved somewhere about this catch - i guess it was caught in UK.

chk this out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sout ... 735717.stm

and thats not all - do a google image search for largest catfish catch and you will be reeling :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Gentlemen thats Catzilla...... :o

Good Lord!!!!!

How big do the goonch in or river systems grow tooooo..... any idea. I have heard of 50kg + goonch ( or Fauji Khagga) being cuaght but never seen 1 personelly........................ :roll:

Any Update????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:10 am 
Fishaholic

Around 20 years ago a few of us were fishing at the Ramganga. The bites became slow and then stopped so the 15 of us (it was a school trip) decided to go swimming. A mate had carried his swimming gogs so I borrowed them to get a better look down below. what I got was the biggest fright of my life.

As I dived into the pool and went under I saw the biggest goonch ever. It was atleast 5 feet long and ugly as sh**. It just sat at the bottom looking at me. Everybody got out of the water fast. The School Headmaster, an Irish Brother, tried baiting with a 2 lbs mahseer but it did not take. Must have been waiting for the next kid to float down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Does the goonch attack humans.. any reported incident.??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

If Mr Wade's stories are to be believed, Small children are just a snack. When a really big goonch gets peckish, it drags whole buffalow into the river for a proper feed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:32 pm 
Fishaholic

well i guess that there are a few out there waiting for us :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Yr 1978 -we were shooting ducks in Mudmeshwar - maharashtra .Madmeshwar is a semi marsh 4 X 2 Kms These local fishermen asked if we would like to buy fish - I said “lets see” and they took their nets and brought out a similar size mallee- (as in the photo)they had captured it earlier and put it into a big long pool (30Yds X 60 Yds)(Volcanic lava depressions) to keep it alive.I was shocked at the size of it and they wanted to sell it for Rs 200/-.I did not buy it
As regards Goonj - I feel they only go in for dead stuff. They generally feed by sitting in the fastest of currents and keep their mouth open(for oxygenation and for food) and anything that comes goes- in and out v soon for their intestine is v v small. And they generally sit around bends where solid food will come to the corner as it goes round the corner.
I have hooked 7-8 of them one evening after I came to understand them. They just straighten out the hooks and then I did get the better of them. Fought one for about an hour-the 8th one- and it was about 50 Kgs (conservative estimate).Did everything right but she just would not come into dead water (Ropar- opp boat club) Will post photos of 2 I caught on the next trip.
Will tell you one thing that you can not get a goonj to come to slow water for she feels lack of oxygen and will flip like mad and get out one way or the other. She has skin similar to you and me - no slime and the best way is to keep her in moving water and then just catch her tail and lift her clean out (Upto 20 odd kgs) .Looks horrible - big teeth - but quite harmless - will live for long outside water.
She has yellowish flesh. Bland taste - and when you fine carve one for fish fingers with no trace of glands or the red meat or skin - you get 5.25 kgs of fish fingers from a 21 kg goonj.
The biggest mistake I did in Ropar was to share my knowledge with the local anglers and then the goonj there went shy.
Will get to her again – Nov 1st and 2nd week is the time to get them.
Thanks for listening…..cheers….Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:04 am 
Fishaholic

Crazy Pic and nice writ up Ham... i agree with you... have some wild goonch pics i need to scan and upload...

As far as the wels catfish goes, I once witnessed 2 guys bait out winch cable with a full chicken in a lake near my apt. Left it there all night and pulled out the largest fish i had ever seen... the hook the used was bigger than my foot (size 9)!!! The wels catfish they landed could have easily swallowed a 5 year old and not burped!

In france it was against the law to release them once caught!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:14 am 

Askari sports , Germany, has some great video's of Catzilla fishing -2m 150kg Wels are regulars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 am 
Fishaholic

There a similar reports of Giagantic goonch here as well.

What do u think is the prime habitat for Goonch. In Pakistan its mostly lower Pujab.

Whats the situation in India......?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
Whats the situation in India......?????

There is still plenty of Goonch to be had in N. India (don't know about the other regions)... its numbers are pretty safe as noone wants to go after it... only time i've heard of people go after it when fish is needed en masse (feasts etc.)

The goonch basically is a wonderful way to ruin your tackle... unless you specifically go after it with heavy duty gear; try regular mahseer/rohu/carp/catfish tackle and you'll have broken rods, stretched mono etc... basically the last thing you want t hook... every time I feel a snag, i pray that its a rock or something rather than a goonch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:39 pm 
Fishaholic

IG,

Northern India would mean colder water? Cause the goonch we have in Pakistan are in the warmer water. Whats the primary habitat they survive in.....

How do they fight????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

I've come across goonch in jus about all mahseer waters... basically a cool waters with a high oxygen content... don't know if they migrate with the seasons. Will try to find that out though.

Up here, they can be found in just about every river in the terai, but i don't think they prefer 'trout country'!

Never seen one come out of really warm waters, and I don't think they have them down south. I might be wrong on this though...

Back in the days of the raj was a different story though... there is picture in a book of a 150 lbs goonch caught and landed in Okhla, Delhi... but that was sometime in the 1800s'. think its the Rod in India... can't remember!!! There are even reports of Mahseer being caught here. Today, sadly there is nothing at Okhla... not even bacteria. Only thing in the waters: plastic bags and heavy metals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Sometime ago I watched a local fisherman hook a large goonch at Narora. He was using the traditional gear - 14 ft bamboo pole, Gitti with thick line and a large solly as bait.

The fish took the bait near the open sluice gates and swam a few meters. Then it went to the bottom and sulked. No amount of pulling or throwing stones could get him to move.

Here comes the interesting part. The local fisherman got his mate to start playing the 'violin' on the taut line. The mate rubbed a smooth stick on the line apparently to send irritating vibrations down to the fish. This carried on for a while a while and the fish did move a bit. (I think it would have any way)

Then the mate went and got a small mutka. this was broken keeping the mouth intact. The gitti and line were put through this and the mutka piece was sent down to the goonch.

Now this worked like a charm. The mutka piece kept bumping the goonch on the snout forcing him to move. And little by little the line was retrieved and the goonch was brought in. It must have been about 20kgs.

Now I wish I had taken pictures of that strange day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:56 pm 

Down south, we have these brass rings, about an inch high and 4-5 inches in dia-used to keep the Brass water mutkas on.I think i'll get a few to throw in the odds and ends part of the tackle box...never know! :evil:
How on earth does the goonch 'sulk" and stay in position? does it have any sucker apparatus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Doc I think the suckers are at the other end of the line. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Doc I think the suckers are at the other end of the line. :D :D :D

Good one Ken! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:54 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Down south, we have these brass rings, about an inch high and 4-5 inches in dia-used to keep the Brass water mutkas on.I think i'll get a few to throw in the odds and ends part of the tackle box...never know! :evil:
How on earth does the goonch 'sulk" and stay in position? does it have any sucker apparatus?

carps and mahseer sulk with their head down and tails up, while a gonch simply shoves his head between rocks and just sits there!!! it won't budge... the matka trick (can also be done with a pad lock) is the only way to get m to move... basically dead weight in the water... no spectacular runs no crazy fights!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 pm 
Enlightened

Can someone post some pics pls????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:47 am 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
As regards Goonj - I feel they only go in for dead stuff.

I feel goonch (Bagarius Yarrelli ) prefers to go for a live bait, that too a fish. The normal method of catching goonch in Pakistan is through a live fish. Conversely, Malli (Wallago Attu) goes for the dead fish as well. Infact it goes for anything and everything which has meat contents, whether dead or alive.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:53 am 
Fishaholic

indiangypsy wrote:
The goonch basically is a wonderful way to ruin your tackle... unless you specifically go after it with heavy duty gear; try regular mahseer/rohu/carp/catfish tackle and you'll have broken rods, stretched mono etc... basically the last thing you want t hook... every time I feel a snag, i pray that its a rock or something rather than a goonch!

True IG, i fully agree. One has to go fully prepared if there are big goonch around.

The biggest goonch i have seen (caught by a commercial fisherman by netting) was 58 kgs. it was a huge thing but i have still never heard of goonch attacking humans. Are there any confirmed reports or its just a speculation seeing the size and ferocious teeth of the fish???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:16 am 
Fishaholic

Thats odd, in the Indus system the goonch is almost always found in warm waters in the plains, whereas in the Ganges system it prefers cooler waters in the Terai. They might be different sub-species.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Goonch found in Indus system is Bagarius Yarrelli. Goonch in Ganges system could be Bagarius Bagarius which is a close relative, only a bit smaller in size (It also grows to 5 ft). Secondly, i think goonch in ganges sys is found in plain areas where the water gets warmer, just like Indus. Someone who knows can throw light on it. In indus system also, goonch are not found in colder regions and are in abundace in central and southern punjab area. However, few odd fish can always be found in slightly colder regions but certainly not trout waters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

The only thing that was confusing me is that all the pictures I have been able to dig out on the net have shown goonch in Masheer water, even in up stream Ganges where as in Pakistan Sighara and Mulley are still found up stream ( Mangla) but no goonch :?:

I think are Indian counter parts can shed more light on the topic :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Goonch belongs to Sisoridae family. There are many species of this family found in subcontinent and are commonly known as 'Khagga" in Pakistan (dont know what they are called in India). Some of them are even found in freezing cold waters. About 12 different types of Khaggas are found in Pakistan (Reference: Dr Nazir's book "Freshwater Fish of Pakistan"). Goonch is the one with camouflage colours, something like the army uniforms. That is why it is called 'Fauji Khagga' in Punjab. Most other large size Sisorides are brown or gray in colour. I havent heard of Fauji Khaggas from cold areas of Pakistan, though certain other types of Khaggas are found (mostly of small size) in the mountains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Well, Species clarification aside, IGFA world records for Goonch and the Shovelnose Catfish are free if anybody wants set out with certified scales and the ail of setting a benchmark.

http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a_intro201.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats a great incentive indeed. :D However, one may find IGFA documentation procedures more cumbersome than designing a rocket engine. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

I have a video on wells cats. It's mostly brute force required to get them in. Seems like if they are below you, they are virtually impossible to raise. Some strange methods employed in catching them in Italy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:27 am 

Not all ichthyologist consider bagrius bagrius and bagrius yarelli seperate species. According to my research and analysis there are two factors to consider as for distribution of this species in Indus system which are causing confusion for you guys.

Goonch is also a migratory species just like mahseer. And has important predator and prey relation with mahseer. But goonch migrates to much lower reaches of rivers then mahseer does and for longer time in cold months. The main reason it is not found above mangla and tarbela is that this species is not able to move upstream due to construction of these two dams.

Second factor is creation of various man made constructs in lower reaches of river which provide suitable habitat for this species.

Goonch is fish eating species and grow to maximum length of 2 meters and 250 pounds in weight. Compared to mahseer which has been recorded up to 3 meters in length. I have seen goonch of 80 Kg caught in gill net at head rasool on jehlum river in 1994.

Goonch is capeable of living in extremely polluted water (It is still found in river ravi at lahore). It has capability to stay out of water for long time.

As for attacking humans i have come across incident when great white sheatfish (mullee) attacked foot of this angler and gave nasty wound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:29 am 

btw ... catfishing with stinkbaits is quite a thing in united states. We should have seperate thread for catfishing as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:25 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
I made this ring -its a piston ring of a vehicle engine.Then same length of lead I moulded of pencil thickness . Curved the lead to the shape of the piston ring and tied the two together with elastic. I then put about 8 pins through the elastic and cut the pins blunt. The rear of the pin got a bit of adhesive and the job was done. the snap closure is a bit of wire. Now put this on to the line and it goes down fast -and straight on to the face of the Goonj. Once the ring is in place she loses her abality to think whats happening and only avoids the blunt pins which do not dig in ,but keep irritating. hereafter the goonj is a dead weight and is rather easy to handle.She is the only fish which elongated my 30 lb mono berk big game line .
Here in Punjab we have then in the warmer waters though during summer they move up. Population is pretty hvy in the Beas but they are super smart. You get these baby goonj on your hooks and thats what proves their population.
The first run is sustained and powerful - about 20 days back the goonj took away one fandi wala (D'pur--Yamuna)and while I was fishing there the relatives were all there waiting for the body to rise.
Cheers Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Hammy, that's the strangest method yet :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:28 am 
Fishaholic

hasham2 wrote:
As for attacking humans i have come across incident when great white sheatfish (mullee) attacked foot of this angler and gave nasty wound.

I have heard my father saying the same about great white sheatfish on the brahmaputra river at Guwahati. But someone said that it can be Goonj too. However both look very different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:48 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
about 20 days back the goonj took away one fandi wala (D'pur--Yamuna)and while I was fishing there the relatives were all there waiting for the body to rise.

fandi wala? Ham can u shed some light on that????????

They are alot myths regarding Goonch and Mulley in Pakistan as well but no concrete evidence yet. With more of the fishermen after fish they can eat Like Rahu, carp family, Sol, Singhara I guess the goonch takes a back seat........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
about 20 days back the goonj took away one fandi wala (D'pur--Yamuna)and while I was fishing there the relatives were all there waiting for the body to rise.
Cheers Hamdhingra

Thats horrible :cry: The poor guy, may his soul rest in peace. So finally there is a confirmed evidence of goonch attacking the humans. Did the people see goonch dragging the man inside the water Ham?? Must have been a big one. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
Cheers Hamdhingra

Yep, I would also like to know about that Mr.Dhingra, Anybody saw goonch taking that man because that area is famous for cooking up stories.. Was it really goonch or Diwali celebrations started early.. I have heard that Desi is selling pretty cheap there nowdays.. :D :D

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:31 pm 

Hamdhingra wrote:
Hi,
Cheers Hamdhingra

Excuse me ham, you mean a goonch attacked a human? I opresume fandiwala is the human behind the Fandi, which i understand is some sort of a fish snare.Do excuse my ignorance.
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

It must have been a Cock-odile :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Gentlemen sorry for replying late. Actually I think I did not post correctly presuming you would know how the phandiwalas operate. They at Dadhopur come down in inflated tubes in pairs at night . Between the tubes these guys have a loop line/net and let it brush against the floor of the river.It is believed they take away a lot of fish and since the river is shallow –it is also difficult for the fish to dive down to avoid. Phandi is a loop made out of line(stiff type – like our XT grade) or then earlier it used to be 10 strands of horse tail hair-twisted together and then made into a loop which always remains opened up, till something tries to go through it. .For weight they use a couple of potatoes –it rolls well along the ground. It was one of these guys who got the goonj and his pair fellow also could not save him-The goonj just rushed down to the falls below –through the arches and down the waterfall slope and then disappeared.
This is one incident that is true for I saw their entire clan mourning and waiting .Next days stories would be bigger and better.
Happy Diwali…Cheers…Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote
Quote:
Hammy, that's the strangest method yet

Owen if you like I will photograph it and send a pic. Also if I put it against a human face , the pins dont prick but absorb your total attention and you can't think.Anglers in my circle have all experienced it.And so I presume the fish too does not have her uncanny senses working for her when the ring is in her face,though only 2-3 would be in contact/irritating. Necessity -the mother of invention. Earlier the goonj just sat down tight.
Tight Lines...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:07 am 
Fishaholic

Hami so if I am not wrong that means that the poor fella was pulled along with his phandi and the goonch didn't attack him. Am i rite..........??????????????? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:28 am 
Fishaholic

yes that's right. Actually night time has its own secrets - some of which can never be known but in this particular case I am positive that the goonj tangled/got snared in the phandies and thats when this fellows last ride started. My experience and knowlege of Goonj tells me she will only eat dead / rotten / bleeding bait.
Cheers...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Some of these stories may be stranger than fiction. However the fact remains that the poor soul got drowned in a fishing accident. What really transpired only the victim and that goonch would know!

On the subject of fishing methods like Phandi and stuff I am least surprised as the most ingenious methods are mostly devised by the tribals and the natives rather than us the so called sophesticated "Angler"

In the Maldives I saw Bill fish weighing 100 Lbs and above landed on fishing line without a hook!

Well, The method goes like this: These guys take a 12" section of a 1" diametre white nylon rope and unravel it seperating each and every strand. This bushy nylon section is bunched to gether and tied up at one end to resemble a large squid or atrolling lure. This hookless lure is trolled from the traditional boats using 150lb mono.

Now the interesting part, Bill fish normally tap and immobolise their prey with their bills which are covered by tiny spikes /burs that resemble a rough file. The bill and the nylon fluff of a lure act like VElcrom tape!! and the fish is tangled by the bill. Once this happens, the fish is landed without a fight as these fibres wrap up both the lower bill and the upper to gether preventing the fish from breathing ( the water running into the gills through the mouth). THe tangle is so bad that once fish is landed the fishermen use soap to remove these fiberes from the bill.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

interesting methods. But of course then thats not sport fishing, handy capping the fight of a fish :?: .

The thrill of landing a Fish the fight. the anxiety that the line may snap. the mates intrigue wether its a big one. Thats goes unmatched.

Hope you'll agree. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Shapan,

The difference is that these tribals fish for a living as opposed to what we fish for "pleasure" for them a quich straight fight is just what they want.

What Jeen is trying to point out here is how ingenious these guys are in their approach, given the limited resources they have on hand. I think their method is brilliant given what they are fishing for.

Bobby