->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

HI guys,

I know that I have not been posting for some time now. Been busy with work & 'trying' to catch some decent fish.

Bops, I took your advice & went fishing the day after I spoke with you.

I went to Sharjah break waters this time as Dubai fishing isnt so great at the moment.

Didnt manage anything significant, just a hamour (rock cod) @ 2kg & a whole lot of smaller stuff like dory snappers, sheri (spangler emperor).

The interesting part of this trip was the fish that followed the lures, but didnt hit it. A MJ followed the lure right to @ 4-5 feet from where I was standing. That crazy chap kept following the lure all over the place & kept comming back. Something like a pet dog. My friends Kit & Chua (Tackle bloke) were also there at that time.....we changed lures (all the possible types & finally bade good bye to the fish & left) :roll:

2 days later I went back to that spot (we had 4 days hols for EId).
I did manage to get @ 6 barracudas & some smaller stuff again. The most interesting thing was another angler testing his skill @ 20 mtrs from me.
He ended up catching a cobia.....nice decent size. I would estimate the weight to be @ 25kg.
This is proof enough that the big guys are in.

(Caught by another angler)

Last 2 weekends I have spent at Dubai Marina. Nothing significant again...but it did get me thinking....I actually still am thinking.

I was spinning & spinning, tried various types of lures for @ 1 hr & then got bored. I decided to set up the bait runner (6000series) & hope to get something there.

I had 20lb mono on the reel, with a 30lb yo-zuri fluoro leader, set the hook @ 3 feel from the lead (3oz) & cast.

I then decided to go back to spinning. Before I could cast my lure, I could hear my baitrunner gooooooooooo.............. Phew ! It sounded like someone accelerating on a bike.....I cranked the handle & struck......there was no way I could slow this down. It was a few seconds later that I realised that I was getting spooled out. I tightened the drag a bit more, but I still couldnt slow it down.
The 'CREATURE' (I still dont know what it was) was now @ 200mtrs away & I barely had @ 50m left......so I tightened the drag a little more & it broke free :(

Chua was just laughing his Butt out...saying that for the first time he has ever seen me panic......I'm sure it must have been quite amusing.

anyway, I went there again last saturday @ 5am (the moon was still out). seemed like full moon. I cast my rapala X-rap, blue sardine & on the 3rd throw something hit.....hit really hard...it felt a jolt & it was gone. the drag wasnt all that tight & the line was 30lb fire line (yellow) I usually dont even use a wire as its near impossible to bite through the line (I spent 2 mins chewing through my line to test it & couldnt even get my teeth impression on it)

I changed lures cast for some time, but didnt get anymore action. I then switched to rubber shads & managed to get it all chewed up after a good fight. (actually very dissappointing for me) :evil:

In the end I managed just one Barracuda (@ 4kg) & some snappers.

However, I did see a turtle surface @ 3 times in 1 hour, in the area that I was initially fishing. A damn big guy.When it stuck its head out & coughed, I thought that it was a man swimming.... :lol: but then noticed the shell.

I could have probably been the turtle that hit the lures, but I guess I wont really know.

I did speak to a friend who dives in that area. he did mention that his friends go spear fishing & that big king fish @ 1mr - 1.5mtr have started coming there.

All in all its been really frustrating time, but I hope to get back at the finned guys. Lets see what this coming week has in store for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
HI guys,

The interesting part of this trip was the fish that followed the lures, but didnt hit it. A MJ followed the lure right to @ 4-5 feet from where I was standing. That crazy chap kept following the lure all over the place & kept comming back. Something like a pet dog.

Hey it must have fallen in love with the lure.... :lol: Good going keyur a bucket full of fish you have there.... The behaviour seems like a turtle to me. They put up a mean fight if they get hooked.

Last edited by Tathagata on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Nice report. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Keyur, see if you can catch some live bait using a sabiki rig. The live bait will work great if Kings are in the area. Use a heavy float to cast the live bait out some distance. Even a small coke bottle half filled with water will do well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Keyur, could you describe the method and bait used by the angler who caught the Cobia? Was this from the shore?

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Bops,

the bait fish (Ballyhoo) are found in abundance. I did catch them (10 in 5 mins) :lol: All I used was a float with 2 dangling hooks set @ 2ft from the water surface. I used really tiny pieces of shrimp as bait.

The surprising thing was that all of the ballyhoo were @ 12 to 14 inch long, except one which was @ 3 feet long :shock: Caught it while retrieving my line. Least expected it to go for the bait while reeling it.

Anyway, I didnt try using the smaller ones as bait for fish, but used them as bait for my building watchman (he has been pleading for fresh fish). Now he cleans my car really well :twisted:

I thought of Sabiki rigs & actually made some flies, but that was for queens. They too are present in abundance (can catch @ 1 every 2 mins), but are of really small size (@ 1ft long)

anyway, chua (tackle bloke) tried live bait for a couple of hrs, but didnt get any strikes. I wasnt really prepared for the big guys, so didnt really bother. Will most probably try it out this weekend.

The Cobia was caught on sardine (they call it uma). No fancy technique, but just a lot of luck :-)

I do all my fishing from the shore. Each trip last for @ 3hrs (max 4hrs). Dont have any more time to spend on fishing due to various other commitments (cricket, choir & wife)

I should be planning a boat trip off Umm AL Quain in a couple of weeks, but nothing confirmed. I'll wait for the divers to decide where & when :lol: