->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: another friday
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Took the the boat out for a couple of hours today morning.We were trying a pack of lures from the pile of stuff we had.And bingo this one really worked and fish were all over it. Its made by Storm lures and called “wild eye curl tailed minnows” These are rubber shads that look exactly like small fish and the tail action is good. Anglers always go for big lures to catch big fish, Though it may be true in certain cases like big poppers for GT and large plugs for Groupers. When you really look at it sometimes big fish gorge on whats around them.For example if the fish are feeding on 2” anchovies or 1” sardine fries then the best bait is always what looks like the stuff they are feeding on no matter how small the lure is. The trick is to only ensure the strength of your terminals like leader, hooks and swivels. We hooked on to many decent fish and learned a lesson ending up with busted leaders, one broken rod, one jammed reel and heightened blood pressure.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Excellent pics jeen. Keep them coming.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen,

Very nice pics. Keep posting.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Jeen, splendid pics and report as usual. What size and colour curl tail grubs were you using?

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Another day in paradise.

Jeen! Please post a picture of the lure. I have also discovered rubber baits (softies) this season thanks to a few cooperative murrel. They really work as the have a more natural action. Thanks for the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mahaseerken
Do murrels come for the soft plastic lures more than the plugs??? What is your experience?
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Jeen,

Those are some nice fish on earth. Amazing pictures.

I want to fish with you one day. Do you have an appoinment for a surf fishing trip. What about the South African trip?

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops , Ken & suleh,

The Curltail we used today is the silver 2"

THe green which is 5" according to my son Rahul in Ahmedabad is a Murrel killer

The green shad is not up loading will try later

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:55 pm 
Enlightened

Dear jeen

Absolutely stupendous I am hoping you can recreate the same magic in cochin. BTW since you stay in munnar have you been to that lake(forget the name) where the TATA's have reportedly stocked up with Mahseer and there is supposed to be excellent freshwater angling opportunities

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Here is the "Murrel Killer"

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Phish,

There is no Masheer in Munnar. Munnar is between 5 to 6000 feet altitude and there are no rivers. There are a couple of dams that hold carp & catla. The fish you are relating with Munnar is the Trout ( Rainbow). THe trout streams are bit higher up and there is a small lake that used to hold trout. The trout fishing in Munnar is not what it used to be.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Muruthu,

Any time mate . Lets plan early next year.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:09 am 
Fishaholic

excellent pics and good information.... keep it coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Sualeh,

Yup murrels prefer Softies more than plugs (my little experience with them). I think it is more because we use the softies as jerk baits giving them lots of time to sink slowly between the jerks. This allows the murrel to sneak up on them. I tried this retrieve with a few plugs but their swim action is not the same. The way a softies tail wiggles when it sinks is the big advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:14 am 
Fishaholic

Great Pix as usual Jeen, and looks like your experiment paid off.
I have identical softies and have never tried them for murral.
We have been so hung up on mepps, but i notice they are not as effective anymore. Must move over to softies.
The lunker lure was an eye opener for me, i thought it would never catch a thing, till i saw a friend who had one trailing behind the coracle (quite by mistake), and then this huge mother came up and made a grab for it. Missed the strike as the rod was resting inside the coracle as we made our way to the spot we wanted to fish.
Derek later reported that he had great success with the same lure for murral. Will post the correct name of the lure in a day or so.
Yes it does pay to experiment.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:

We have been so hung up on mepps, but i notice they are not as effective anymore.

I also had the same experience with Mepps while trout fishing. At a place where more than 95% anglers were using Mepps, I could clearly see the trout chasing the spinner initially but not going for a strike. At the same place i used a different type/colour of spinner and had a strike every second time. So i believe fish do develop a recognition of lures which are very commonly used. And as you said, one must keep experimenting and trying new things.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject: hi jeen
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

nice catch dude. i never thought that the rubber baits would be so effective. i have some made by berkeleys. i will surely try them next time i go fishing. congratulations.

regards,
spoonangler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
Derek later reported that he had great success with the same lure for murral. Will post the correct name of the lure in a day or so.
Yes it does pay to experiment.
Regards
Owen

The lure has a few different names Spinner Bait, Lunker Bait are the two common names Ive known, Jude caught a few murrels aswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Jeen,

fantastic stuff as always. Too bad I missed the boat this friday.

I did go to Sharjah break waters & although I didnt get anything worthwhile, I can confirm that there are quite a few big guys already in.

The very first cast with a Yo-zuri deep diving minnow got a red snapper @ 2ft long following the lure & came close to where I was standing) I couldnt use the same lure anymore as it was too close by. I changed to the yo-zuri floating minnow, changed @ 5 lures, but couldnt get the fish convinced.
Kit & Chua (tackle bloke) too tried their luck, but couldnt either.

I later changed to bait casting but only managed 3 sherri's & a sea bream (all returned to the water)

Later on just before packing up, I was trying out my new Abu 6600D6, while Kit tried some rapalas. @ 2 throws later something @ 4 feet across followed his lure. It didnt surface, but you could see it long & broad shape below the surface (not sure what it was), the next throw, kit had a birdsnest & the lure broke free :roll: that was the end of our trip for the day.

Although we didnt catch anything worthwhile, I'm glad that I tested out my back (its still holding up after the trip) & am all set to get going next weekend.

With fish teasing me sooooo much, I definately want to get back at them with a vengence :twisted:

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:08 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Jeen,

Great catch, great pictures as always.
Appreciate your interest in keeping us informed. Keep it up.
Good Luck.

Regards,

Ronald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen,
Thanks for the pic’s on soft bait. As for your decision on settling abroad, I am game for a trade :twisted: :twisted: