->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Jain Kul
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

This is a picture of JainKul, in the gorge area. It used to contain some great big masheer, silund, wallago attu & rohu. Haven't fished there in 5 years. This stretch comes under Saad Bin Jung's outfit now. Anyone been here recently ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen,

What a beautiful pool that is. I checked it out earlier this year when waters were perfect. I met Saad at Sangam and we went down and had a look at the stretch. There's some really fantastic water there. Its a much harder stretch to fish, but a 60lber in that water would be a fight of a lifetime.

I've fished just under the 'leap' and landed a few small catfish and a couple of mahseer. Nothing big. The bit I like is 'hanerudu chakra' just upstream. No idea how I'd land a big fish but.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,
Yes JainKul is truly an awesome place. I have hooked some big fish in this pool. God help you if the fish goes over the rapids, you just have to jump in and follow. The rock face offers no holds, and there is a whirlpool waiting for you just below. Truly scary joint!

I have a picture of "Hanandh chakra", my old haunt, would you like me to post it ? We called it "Ontigundu". Caught some big fish there too.

I will never forget the first time i took my brother there in '86. He had the rod between his legs and was trying to light up a ciggie. As i was about to tell him that what he was doing was a big mistake, a huge fish took off with the ragi ball, and took the straight channel and just kept going. My brother almost fell into the left channel, and was saved by Bola who caught him by the seat of his pants.

Man that channel looked like certain death. Anyway the fish just could not be stopped and went over the falls and all of a sudden the line went slack. On checking we found a 8/0 O'shaunnesy hook straight as a door nail. My brother was speechless for over an hour, and still shudders when i remind him of that fish.

John Wilson in his book "50 years a fisherman" says that his best ever day of fishing was at Ontigundu, and he bagged 2 fish of 90+ lbs in one session of fishing there.

I have had a monster on all night while fishing alone at this, finally had to cut him free. Broke my heart, but there was no way i was going to get him out alone from that spot. It is so essential to have a good buddy along, to atleast hold the flash light if nothing else in such situations. Have sworn never to fish alone after that experience, but then i did it again.
Ah well that's another story!
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Owen,

Better than a buddy holding a flashlight is a headlamp! If you do regular fishing trips at night I suggest you get yourself one of these.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... ec_eos.htm

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Hi MM,

I have a picture of "Hanandh chakra", my old haunt, would you like me to post it ? We called it "Ontigundu". Caught some big fish there too.

Regards
Owen

Sure Owen,
Would love to see it. I might also have a few pics somewhere. We called the Campsite and the huge pool the river forms there 'Ontigundu'. It then narrows down to form 'Hanerudu Chakra'. Karia told me 'hanerudu' was twelve and 'chakra' was whirlpool. Said there were 12 whirlpools before the river reached the 'leap'.

I remember casting out with Ravi at a point where the river splits into 2 channels.... roughly 500meters from camp. Ravi was in the channel that branched to the left and my bait was snagged in the middle. Luckily Ravi didn't get a strike and I did with the fish going down the channel to the right. Small black mahseer that was easily landed.
That's all live/dead bait territory. I have another amusing story for you. I was at the same place where the river splits into the 2 channels I mentioned to you. I was fishing with 2 abu 7000's, one with ragi and the other with chilwa. Had both reels on baitrunner and was sitting on a small sand bank. After half an hour I'd fallen asleep only to be woken up by a screaming baitrunner. I grabbed the rod with the chilwa and struck....... Nothing :oops: Then reeled in the other rod and there was no ragi left. Called it a day and walked back to camp for some tea. Till today have no idea which rod I got the strike on!!

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen,

Have a look at this picture. I'm a bit confused :oops: Its been taken from on top of the gorge, if I remember right its a picture of the rapid just after Jain Kallu. Does it look familiar? I have a whole lot odf the stretch but I should have made a note of what I was shooting.

The water was high then, but falling. Does Jain Kallu get submerged? If so then its possible the rock is not visible (bottom right)

Thanks,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats it mate! Jain Kul. If you look straight down nearly 75 to a 100 feet below where you took the picture, you will see this big huge boulder that is called Jain Kul. Wonder if we will ever get to fish this spot again as WASI members ?
Tell you what, if you wait for the water to turn just the right colour, and even if the water is high, but atleast 10 feet below Jain Kul you have a great chance of hitting a biggie at the left corner. I have seen baby pigeons that fall out of the rocks above being plucked out of the water at that place. When the water is lower, only the smaller fish hang around the corner. You can see this spot in the picture that you have posted. It is just before the fast water begins.
Posting Ontigundu left & right channel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:59 pm 
Fishaholic

AAAHHH!!! Fantastic. The very same channels :-) What a piece of water this is Owen.
The small sand bank I was fishing from is just out of your photo... on the right hand side.
Ravi had cast into the channel to the left of the pic. What fun if he had got a whack, the fish would have taken him over in the blink of an eye :twisted:
I was snagged in the middle and the fish ran straight down.
Brilliant!!
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops!
Anything like that headlight available in India ? Run out of favours asking people to get me stuff.
Nothing like having a fishing buddy mate. Someone to keep the fire going, or fix the ragi when i'm pooped!
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

You need to fish this place from the spot where i took the picture. The sandbank side is where one fishes from when you are camped on the right bank. From the spot where i took the picture there are 2 places to cast. One straight down the right channel, and the other just under your feet, keeping the bait from going down the left channel. Getting a fish out of the left channel is a night mare.

We once hit a Carnatic Carp from just below my feet and it went down the left channel. I had both Suban and Bola with me, and they had to launch a major operation to get back this 12 lb carp.

We all had a good laugh later, thanking our good stars that it wasen't a masheer.

Some great spots about 50 to 100 yards above Ontigundu, which is where John hit those two biggies. Good fishing also possible below Ontigundu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen,

I did swim across the channel the next day to where you've taken the photograph from. I wanted to investigate the 'left' channel. It's madness to fish that one from the left :twisted: , but if one managed to hook and land a fish, what a ride it would be :shock: .... kinda like having the rug pulled from under your feet!!!

If I was where you were when you took this pic, I'd probably be a chicken and cast straight down into the right channel :oops:

Talking about casting under one's feet.... did that at Mosslehalla while fishing there at night. It's awesome to have a fish take the bait from so close.... I must have had 15 to 20 feet of line from my rod tip.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Dude we better fish together soon and catch up on all this stuff!
The rest of the guys will think we are nut's. :?

I tend to take it with a pinch of salt when some of our forum express the idea that the Kaveri is not wild enough for them, they have been given to understand that the fish have been caught before and there is no fun in fishing there any longer. God what a river this is, and you can never have fished the whole stretch in a lifetime.

Talk about wild, i have spent a night in Mekadatu caves with a herd of elephants on top of the cave. They had the gorge shaking with their trumpeting. Never slept a wink :shock:
If inly they knew!
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Dude we better fish together soon and catch up on all this stuff!
The rest of the guys will think we are nut's. :?

Well Owen,
Sounds like a plan. Let's fish this stretch as soon as the water's right. Have been dying to go back and fish Ontigundu/Hannerudu Chakra. Still should be some decent fish hanging around if one tries hard enough. Will be interesting to see what comes out of this bit of the river. No one's really fishing here.
Also won't have to run into team building techies and the mob that haunt Galibori these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Please don't stop.

Until I get a blasted rod, I will have to live vicariously through your tales.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Hi Bops!
Anything like that headlight available in India?

Not a prayer, Owen. Or at least highly unlikely. It's a good headlamp and you could test drive mine if you like.

What we need to find is a source in the U.S. that carries this lamp without charging you an arm and a leg like Cabelas does.

www.lighthound.com has reasonable postal charges but at present they only have EOS's bigger and more expensive brother - the Apex.

You could e-mail and ask them if they could send you a EOS.

Another site that may be worth checking is www.brightguy.com
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=PRIEOSBK
http://www.brightguy.com/policies.php#international See International Orders.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rustam,

Lighthound has very reasonable shipping rates. Brightguy charges $66.41 only for shipping the headlamp to India [smilie=holyshit.gif]

I'd rather go with Lighthound if they can procure the EOS.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:52 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
Brightguy charges $66.41 only for shipping the headlamp to India [smilie=holyshit.gif]

Decidedly dim when it comes to postage! Are you sure about the price?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rustam,

On Brightguy I added the EOS to the cart and then chose checkout. I used all the correct details like address and country, pincode etc. It gives the shipping price just before you input your credit card details.

I found another site called Night Gear who has the EOS for $31 + $16 shipping. While browsing the site I found an interesting light called the Petz Tactikka XP. It seems an interesting light with specs similar to the EOS but with the added feature of a diffuser and a red lens.

http://www.night-gear.com/-strse-134/Ta ... Detail.bok

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Rustam Bana]

Not a prayer, Owen. Or at least highly unlikely. It's a good headlamp and you could test drive mine if you like.

Rustam[/quote]

Hi Rustam,
Is this the same headlamp that Prathap has now? It's pretty decent for fishing. I found the battery pack a bit bulky but.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
Hi Rustam,
Is this the same headlamp that Prathap has now? It's pretty decent for fishing. I found the battery pack a bit bulky but.

No, MM. The EOS when packed up is 3/4 the size of just the Pelican's headunit, leave alone the battery pack and straps. Try it on Sat night.

It's light is more flood than spot but a very clean light (without dark patches) and illuminates pretty well upto 30 yards or so.

Will do some pics for comparism later on.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Will do :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

Let me know how many want the EOS headlamps from the US? We will get huge savings in shipping if we combine the orders.

For those that want a full review of the light take a look at this link.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... ec_eos.htm

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Just one word of caution. If you order too many then you may be asked for an import licence by Postal Customs and you wont be able to claim "it's for my own personal use and not for any commercial purposes." Unless, your name happens to be Ravana.

On second thought's if you do get a Show Cause notice, you could always write back saying that this was a group order by individuals and each individual gives a letter saying that one of the units is for his own personal use. Maybe worth a try.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Think we have hi-jacked this thread far enough, so pics added on a seperate thread.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=108

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

What's with this flashlight fetish? :roll: :shock:
I think I've missed something somewhere. By the way I don't own a torch/flashlight. They are like lighters and ball point pens, I buy them and give them away/lose them all the time.

Now I'll have to string one of you torch bearers along on my next trip. Glad I'm meeting you this weekend Rustam :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mighty Marlin!

Post subject: Pun Alert!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:27 pm 
Fishaholic

You mean to say you have never heard of Flashaholics Anonymous? :shock:

Sheesh...talk about Philistines...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:35 pm 
Fishaholic

As long as its only torches that are being flashed Rustam.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:05 pm 
Fishaholic

LOL. Nice one! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry.... couldn't resist!! You walked into that one.
See you tomorrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Sorry.... couldn't resist!!

Kindly desist from resisting. :wink:

Now where did I keep that itching powder....

Rustam