->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: My biggest Rohu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

2 Rohu weighing 14 kg and 9 kg respectively, caught at sunset time, float fishing, bread peices (roti) as bait. The bigger one fought ferociously for 50 mins.

Here She Goes

Last edited by Sualeh on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Nice fish! Be kind and post all your pics under one post heading instead of making multiple threads for every different fish.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Whoa! Slow down mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Awesome catch. :shock: :shock: ..Dude...Keep it coming.. :D :D ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Good Show Mate

was it catch and release?
or for the pot

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:08 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Lanny

I released the biggest one (pic 1 and 2) and the one in pic 4. Except the two in pic 1, all other were caught on different days. The biggest one fought so hard that it almost broke my rod. In view of this gallant fight, it deserved to be released although i had to listen very stinking comments from some local fisherman who were watching me since afternoon and developed serious doubts about my mental stability. Also 'ye to ameer logon ke chonchle hain'. But its part of the game. I tried to make them understand my logic but in vain.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:45 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I released the biggest one (pic 1 and 2) and the one in pic 4.

Great fish and a great sentiment but fish (especially big fish) don't survive well if they're held up by the head and allowed to hang. This damages the spine and tears internal organs.
Similarly, fingers in the gills will cause damage to these delecate structures that will often prove fatal.

I think maybe we need a fish handleing thread to go with the barbless hooks one. Obviously, this will be a perfect world picture which isn't always possible in reality but best practice is best practice and if we all try to do most things right, more fish should survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the advice. I will be careful in future.

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Pictures of a good catch, keep it up and do not stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going.......

really nice catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

damn those are big fish!!! good show... would ove to land of them my self!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Sualeh - Great pics but very bad handling.. i seriously doubt if that fish would survive after fighting for its life for 50 mins and then being held up by its gills.. Not done, mate :evil:
But I guess we learn from our mistakes. There is a thread on handling fish, suggest you go thru that. Lot of valuable tips from there, that I have also personally learnt from..

Also, the first two pics are not rohus, mate... The bigger one is a silver carp while the smaller one is a mrigal..

All in all, good catches.. Do you need to pay a fee to fish here ? or can anybody wet a line ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Keep the fish swimming mate. And we will all never stop smiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gavin

1. I have read that article already and feel much wiser on the subject. Will be careful in future. :cry: Thanks for pointing out.

2. As for the fish in pic 1, both are Rahu and were caught from the confluence of Chenab and Jammu Tavi Rivers. Perhaps due to glare caused by the flash and due to my incorrect holding of the fish, they look a little different.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gavin

Forgot to answer regarding the fee. The place is confluence of Jammu Tawi and Chenab Rivers. No fee because its not a private property. You certainly need to have a fishing license of Punjab which costs Pak Rs 300/- per anum.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:29 pm 
Fishaholic

The reason why I said htey were not rohus, is because I had a long look at the body structure, colur and the mouth shape.. None matched that of the rohu..
Even if you compare the fish in pics 1 & 2 to the fish in pic 3, it might just confirm the fact...

Let me know if i need to explain further...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:51 pm 
Fishaholic

The two fish in the fist photo are definatly not the same species. The shapes of the two tails are completely different.
Neither of those first two fish are the same species as the "Rohu" pictured in photo's 3, 4, 5 & 6. As GRC points out, the body structure is entirely different.

We could definatly do with a fish identification guide as part of the site to try to get some uniformity in the names used to describe fish species.
Such a feature would definatly be a major boon to us visitors who don't get to target Indian fish species very often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:54 pm 
Fishaholic

There was a post by one of the members that had both the mrigal and the rohu on the same plate..
That is a wonderful example to cite the differences in both the fish..

Any attentive members out here who can help me out with that link :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gavin

Please note that as already pointed out by you, due to my wrong holding of the fish, the shape of the mounth has somewhat been distorted. Second factor could be that sometimes in nature, Rohu and Mori (mrigal) cross breed and produce a hybrid which is much like Rohu except that it has a comparitively sleaker body than the pure Rohu. The mouth shape is nevertheless like Rohu and it also fights very hard. But two of my friends (one of them is a serious angler since the last 30 yrs) also recognised these as Rohus. But one thing is for sure, i am really learning a lot at this forum. Thanks a lot buddy.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Sualeh,

Possibility of the cross breeding there, but studies reveal that for some reason, cross breeding between rohus and mori dont grow too big.. At the most they would grow to, is about 2kgs..
Also once mrigals get over a certain size ( normally about 3kgs+) their body shape changes and they get more rounder with a fatter belly.. This could be due to their diet which becomes more carnivorous.. They tend to eat a lot of snails, thanks to their tough mouths.
A clear give away is that the mrigals and other bottom-feeders ( ala Khalbouses ) have whiskers or barbles on the side of their mouths..
The shape of the head of a mrigal is also more sleeker as compared to that of a rohu, which is more round in shape..
Even if you talking about a hybrid, in this case, there is nothing to show of any rohu parentage ofthe fish in the pic
But then again, I could be wrong, have been fishing for a about 10 odd years only..

Fluffing kaka, am going all serious [smilie=holyshit.gif]
Bops - What have you done to me ?? :shock: :shock:
Bobster, Freddie, Owen, Eljefe, Doc Sai..... somebody ....... HELP [smilie=smack.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the information Gavin. I stand educated.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:46 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh bhai,

superb fish, mate . Keep it up.

Pls post details of timing, groundbait, tackle and hook bait .

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Sulah,
Nice fish mate. We all have much to learn on fish handling, so i won't harp on that.
I think the fish in pix, 4,5,6 are definately rohu.
As Gavin says the smaller one in pic 1 is likely to be a mirgal, as for the bigger one in pic 1 i am in 2 minds.
A better view of its mouth and body with the fish held in the horizontal position position would have helped.
Tight lines
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Jude

Different rods and reels have been used to catch these fish, like DAM 7.5 ft med action tele rod with Ryobi SX 4000 reel loaded with 19 lb mono, DAM 6.5 ft 2 piece solid rod with Shakespeare Navigator reel loaded with 19 lb and 15 lb mono (spare spool) , Okuma 8 ft solid rod with Ryobi GB5 reel loaded with 23 lb mono and Mitchel Goliath 12 ft med action tele Carp Rod with Banax ST7000C reel loaded with 23 lb mono, Daiwa Primarin 9ft 2 piece rod with Sidewinder FES5013 reel loaded with 29 lb mono etc. However, the first on remains my favourite combination, specially for lure fishing. Bait used in all cases was bread piece (roti or chapati). The area was also ground baited an hour prior with bread pieces. All were caught using a float suspending the bait in mid water depth. Mostly caught during early morning hrs or around sunset time. I hope it answers your questions. Have a nice fishing trip.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:37 am 

Good show Sualeh, keep on doing it, this time, better fish handling mate!
As for the 'locals'- we've met their first cousins here-same story...
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Axx

Thanks for the comments. To be honest, releasing fish (specially a big one) is not the tradition in my area and till 6 months back, i also never released any; hence poor handling skills. Apart from becoming a laughing stock on the fishing site, i have ended up anoying my friends sometimes who thought that if i did not want the fish, i could have sent it to their place instead of releasing it. On my trip to Northern Areas where i fished for trout, i caught approx 100 trouts of varying sizes, biggest being 1.6 kg. i released about two third of them. Now trout is very expensive (approx Pak Rs 800 per kg) and daily trout licence costs Rs 100/-. Many, therefore, doubted my common sense.
Thanks for guiding me on handling the fish. Good learning.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sualeh,

I totally understand what you are saying about the release... when we guys drop the fish back, the locals politely tell us that we have been out in the sun too long!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 am 
Fishaholic

Great going mate!

Where did u catch these beauties and on what ws the bait???

Great going, what time of the year were these Rahu caught.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:33 pm 

But then again, we ARE, Ken. 6 hours in 45 deg celsius is no joke till the dehydration kicks in AFTER the last bot of water is over- :oops:
BUT we'll still do. Right?
Tight lines all, and keep on doin it
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Shaphan

Most of these Rohu were caught from different places in Marala. Bait used was roti in all cases. The area was ground baited with roti pieces about an hr prior. Mostly caught during evening time, before the sunset. Few were caught in early morning hrs.
How about prospects of Sawl fishing near Pindi/Islamabad? you know any places. The other day i went to Rawal Lake for a while. Saw many people fishing but none caught anything. May like to share notes.
Cheers
Sualeh