->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: My grass carp
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:09 am 
Fishaholic

A 10 kg grass carp.

By sualeh, shot with E5000 at 2007-08-10
By sualeh, shot with E5000 at 2007-08-11

Last edited by Sualeh on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:11 am 
Fishaholic

wish i could see it dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:20 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry, i am trying desparately. Hope i am successful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Sualeh

The mistake is that you are using the first link from the Imageshack page. You need to use the box that is right below the image on the Image Shack page. The box which has "Hotlink for forums (1)" written next to it.

Bops

PS. Post an introduction of yourself under the Introductions section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow! And it is hooked in the mouth... caught the right way.

I have been trying for some time to get one of those beauties. Please fill me on the details. That is what bait, groundbait if any, the tackle set up... were you using a float or was it off the bottom.

Sorry lots of questions but that is one great fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Fish dude... Very rare to get a grass carp hooked in the mouth as they tend not to go for any bait..

Beautiful fish mate..

Released ?? :roll: :roll: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Mahaseerken
Thanks for comments. i will try to reply the questions asked. Surprisingly, i have found it easier to catch grass carps. This one was caught using bread peice (roti) as a bait, suspended in mid water depth. distance from float to bait was approx 4 ft. I had ground baited the same spot with bread peices for three day, approx an hr before sunset. Rod: 7.5 ft DAM tele med action. Reel: Ryobi SX 4000. Line 19 lb mono. I have experienced that both Rohu and Grass Carp prefer to eat from the mid water as compared to depth or surface. So the trick is to suspend the bait in mid water depth and sit alert and have the drag set properly because the take is going to be ferocious, otherwise you might break the line or even your rod. Rohu and Grass Carp tend to run away with the bait at a high speed. This one was played for about 35 mins. In the last few months, i have been able to catch more than 10 med to large size grass carps with this technique. Hope it answers your queries.
Sualeh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a ton mate.

Will try this the next time I meet these beauties.

Just a few more questions. Is the lake very deep? (The one where I have seen monster carp is.) And how far of the bottom do you think they feed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:10 pm 
Fishaholic

it was not a very deep water, 7-10 ft deep. Grass carp perhaps do not like fast flowing water. Like to stay in kind of weedy, near stagnant water areas towards the river margins. Good luck.
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch Sualeh and thanks for the info on grass carp and rohu feeding techniques...
By the pics posted by you, I think that this pind is a public pond where it looks like the people could be feeding the fish, hence the affinity to your bread bait and the hook-ups..
Nonetheless, good going.. Looks like really good waters and am sure you gonna have more pics on the forum..
Suggest you have a bait at the bottom also, there could be some good size mrigals in there..

All the best, dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gavin

These Rohus and grass carps have been caught from different places. The 10 Kg grass carp was caught from the lake of a public recreation park. Remaining have been caught from Marala where three river, ie, Munawar Tawi, Chenab and Jammu Tawi meet. Since the place is beautiful so many recreational spots have also come up in the area. There are many permanant ponds along and in the areas between the rivers. I prefer to fish in these ponds. In monsoon, these ponds (some of them are huge) become a part of three rivers and the entire area becomes one water body. After the rains these ponds start emerging and contain a lot of fish. I used bread (chapati pieces) as bait in these areas also and had good success so far. Perhaps the anglers have so far not spoiled the eating habits of the fish in this area by using fancy baits (charai).
I do bottom rigging as well but that is normally done for mrigal (called mori in Punjab) and common carp (gulfam) of which i am personally not very fond of. Rohu fights hard and secondly the pleasure of watching the float disappear is a great sight. Just a matter of personal liking. Otherwise i do resort to bottom fishing while fishing for mori and common carp. Thanks for the tips buddy.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the feedback on the ponds.. Its good to know that the place and fish are not used to charai..
I totally agree with you on fishing for rohu.. They are very strong fish and pound for pound, one of the strongest fighting fish u can find..
I prefer catching rohus over mrigals, any day of the week..

Good going mate !! :D Wish you catch many more fish...

By the way, any catlas here?? :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot Gavin, its been a pleasure interacting with you. There are catlas here (we call it Thela meaning a sack) but somehow, it remains a least caught fish here. Perhaps because of its habit of eating from the surface. I only caught it once. Can try for more though. The one i caught was just by chance. I used a bread piece (naan) with a float and no weight. As you know how naan are prepared, it started floating on water surface and there came a Thela from nowhere. i think i can try it again. Thanks for reminding.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Catlas ( Thela ) are very timid fish.. Here in Calcutta, you are considered a good angler if you can repeatedly catch them..
It takes a lot of patience to catch this fish and lot of hard work and studying the water to know where exactly it is.. But its worth it, to know you caught a fish that is one of the most difficult to catch..

Thelas are surface feeders and usually eat the algae on the water, however to catch them you need them to sit at the bottom and to do this, you need to groundbait. This does not mean using charai, but you can use a lot of rice mixed with maize flour ( satoo ).. Float fishing is the best way to catch them..

Any chance of pics :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gavin thanks for the info on Thela. Its same here , any one who catches Thela is considered to be hell of an angler. But i am personally more fascinated by lure fishing. But one should know all tricks of the trade. Will try for thela in the next outing. Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

All the best, Sualeh...

Post subject: grass carp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:24 am 

Hi, here in the uk there are a few lakes with grassies in them, they do take baits of the bottom but the majority are caught for the surface with a number of different baits, chum mixer, various breakfast cereals.

They dont do much fight wise until they see the net, then all hell breaks loose, best let them tire in the water as they can be a hadful on the bank if not tired.

they can also be caught on green weed :lol: mad but true, I have not tried but some have.

tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:59 pm 

hERE IN DENMARK I USE MAIS CORN SOFTNED IN WATER FOR A NIGHT THEN BOILED WITH HONEY, RIG WISE I USE SLIDING BOTTOM RIG WITH THE CORN ON A HAIR.

SKA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andersen

Please do not use upper case letters, it's not allowed on the forum.

Regards
IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 pm 

Sualeh - congrats for great catch and thanks for the great pics! Since you are so fond of float fishing, do you think such big ones come near the edge of the pond, unless the edge of the pond is at great depth? I think we cant do float fishing at greater than say 10 feet away from the shore? Is there a way to reach longer distances with greater depth just to catch such big fish using float? Sorry for so many questions, but would appreciate your response. Thanks

Post subject: Re: grass carp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 pm 
Fishaholic

essoxx wrote:
They dont do much fight wise until they see the net, then all hell breaks loose, best let them tire in the water as they can be a hadful on the bank if not tired.

Absolutely right. I remember once hooking a large grass carp (over 10 kgs perhaps) which was brought to the net with ease. once inside the net, it jumped with enormous power, broke the 23 lb line, broke the net and :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kulsdood
All my grass carps have been caught float fishing. It normally does not eat from the bottom like mrigal or common carp. I normally keep the bait few feet above the bottom. Here you are right that this technique does not work in deep waters but for waters upto 12 ft deep, this tech works well. Frankly, i have not been able to develop a technique for float fishing in deep waters. therefore i float fish at a point which is not more than 12 ft deep. One can find such places in a lake/river and cast the bait at a farther distance. If the place is very deep, go bottom fishing as advised by Owen. May like to read the thread "Bottom fishing vs float fishing" in bait, tackle and tech.
Anyone who can put us wise on the subject???????
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't know how i missed this thread. Great grassy Sualeh, must try nan and chappathis next trip to the lakes and float them down.
One thing different here is that we see the grass carp moving into the the current from the banks and stay there for great lengths of time near the surface.
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

That's one very nice fish, congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
One thing different here is that we see the grass carp moving into the the current from the banks and stay there for great lengths of time near the surface.
Owen

Thats true for the wild grass carps found in the rivers which also jump quite frequently in open waters (I thinks grass carps originally come from Amur River in China). Grass carp is an introduced specie in India and Pakistan. I have observed that farm raised grass carps and those which have been bred naturally in rivers behave quite differently. What do you say. I think is for sure; grass carp needs very condusive environment to breed in nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:40 am 
Enlightened

welcome back sauleh! quit a while since your last post.
whats your expert opinion on fishing in winters especially for Rohu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rana. There is an informative thread about winter fishing in bait tackle and tactics. May like to have a look.
Regards

Last edited by Sualeh on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:05 am 
Enlightened

yeah! thanx, read that, quit infomative and agree to the most part of it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:11 am 
Enlightened

just went through Mahaseerken thread, its a different story altogether..