->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Brown and Rainbow Trout
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:48 am 
Fishaholic

A 2.3 lb brown trout caught from a 11500 ft high lake using spinning outfit.
[img]
Stocking brown trout fry in a lake at an altitude of 13800 ft.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image

This is the lake (Riochug Tso). Takes 4-6 hrs of climb, depending upon the fitness.
Lure fishing in Satpara Lake
This was the beutiful lake from which the trout in pic 1 was caught. Altitude 11500 ft. Unfortunately, it is still unnamed. Realy a heavens on earth.
Spinning at Katchura Lake
A beautiful brown trout
A rainbow trout weighing 3.2 lbs, caught with a spinner

Last edited by Sualeh on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:20 am 
Fishaholic

Finally beautiful fish dude ........ :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:24 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks buddy. i dont know how i managed to upload this one. its for sure that i may catch a trout more easily than uploading its pic.
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:52 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Sualeh,

Nice brown trout.

Where was it caught ?

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful fish. Keep them coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Sualeh, I corrected the images after you posted. Your post was not showing the image correctly.

Now it appears that the lower image is missing from Imageshack. Suggest you send me that pic so I can correct your post.

IA

Last edited by IndianAngler on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Flyfisher
Thanks. This one was caught from an unnamed lake at an altitude of 11500 ft in the northern areas of Pakistan (near Skardu). Tackle used 7.5 ft DAM tele rod, Daiwa SX 1650 reel, 10 lb mono line, Blue fox Vibrax #2 spinner tied with a link swivel. Time approx 1400 hrs PST. Do you ever use spinners. Please send details because i am quite crazy about trout fishing.
Sualeh

Post subject: Brown Trout 2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:40 pm 
Fishaholic

These trout have been caught from northern areas of Pakistan using lt spinning outfit, Mepps and Blue Fox Vibrax spinners #1,2 and 3.
[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]
A rare (and surely accidental) take, a rainbow trout attacking a spinner. Taken just by chance by my friend.

Last edited by Sualeh on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sualeh,

Nice fish, and beautiful waters.

All my trout fishing is using fly fishing gear.

Are these trout wild, or stocked (from hatchery) ?

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:51 am 
Fishaholic

Hi, thanks.
All these are wild brown trout, mostly caught from the very fast flowing streams of northern areas of Pakistan. In Pakistan, private farms normally keep rainbow trout and very few can be caught in the wild. The are found more in lakes, probably because they cant survive fast currents as well as brown trout can. Rainbows, however, get much bigger in size and fight much harder than brownies.
cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:21 pm 
Fishaholic

[size=18]Hi Makarand

I mentioned in the last post that these are wild trout. Well, they are not wild in the real sense because trout is not a native Pakistani fish. They were brought from England around 80-100 yrs ago and were stocked in various streams and lakes. However, all the brown trout that i have caught must have been born in the same stream or lake. Thanks.

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:40 pm 
Fishaholic

way to go sualeh bhai!!! :lol:
loved the scenic beauty of that fabulous location
must have been an experience :lol:
keep them coming

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sualeh,

Amazing pics.. the place looks beautiful.. :D

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

That's a beautiful location, happy fishing.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:04 pm 
Enlightened

Hey Sualeh those pics were great and so is the location.

Have a great time and gook luck fishin.

Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:49 am 
Fishaholic

Good sized trout, these are much bigger than the trout fishes in the Nilgiris in South India. Here we only catch trout on 00,0 and 1 spinners in the stream and 2 spinner in the lake. do you fly fish or what do you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Hi michaelaga

The size depends on the venue, ie, fast flowing stream, slow moving stream or a lake. In fast streams, normally brown trout of the size of 250 gm to 1 kg could be found though i caught a 1.6 kg Rainbow from a fast stream. In slow streams and lakes, they get much bigger, provided the spot is not over fished and left for few years. The biggest i have seen was a 7 kG rainbow and 9 kg brown. There are stories of Brownies upto 12 kg but i have never seen.
As for spinners, my preffered size is #2 Blue Fox Vibrax or Mepps (Black fury, Aglia longie, Aglia and comet). People normally use # 0 & 1 Mepps but in many areas, trout has perhaps developed a recognition of these spinners. In lakes i use # 3 & 4 when i am targetting big ones and normally #2. Sometimes i also add fish/chicken meat or local worms/insects to the treble hooks, its damn effective. And if you could just dip the spinner in blood before casting (i get some from the poultry shops) than it works magic. But this is done when i am going for a big one. And dont be afraid of losing spinners because you will loose quite a few, specially in fast streams. Enjoy the scene always and Good luck.

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sualeh,

really really great pics pics. the scenery is absolutely gorgeous & I envy you getting the opportunity to go there.

Keep exploring & keep posting the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:16 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Sualeh,

Simply adorable place. Feels like heaven.

keep it up mate.

Harryxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey there Sualeh Sahib,

Your pics are impressive, Ive been spinning for trout since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I have mostly shifted to flyfishing now, but I still spin for bigger trout in lakes.

That lake of yours looks ideal, how about this next summer you take me to your secret lake and I'll take you to mine? That area looks too green for Baltistan, is it somewhere near Astore?

I'm aslo sending you a PM, we have many things to discuss, Marala, mahseer, mulleys, singhara etc....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ali,

That area is Baltistan but part of Hamalyan Range. You know Hamalayas are quite green and Karakorams are arid. Haven't recieved your PM yet! Waiting for it :roll: I think we will have a lot of things to discuss.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:14 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali Sahib

How is trout fishing in Ghizer Valley, Shandur and Phander Lakes? any information about it? are there any places around Chitral? How about Chitral river? Are you coming to Islamabad in near future?

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:20 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh Sahib,

I may be in Islamabad in December, but Im not certain. The Snook, Jack Crevalle and bass fishing here in Miami is great, so I might just pass the time here.

By the way the good doctor you mentioned is a close relative of mine but were not on the best of terms.

Chitral has mediocre trout fishing, our main trout stream, the Lot-Kuh has been spoiled, you'll be lucky to get three fish in a day.

There are a few streams in the forested South of Chitral that still have decent trout fishing.

Ghizer is THE BEST place for trout fishing in Pakistan. Their are a few lakes known to only the locals and a handful of anglers which have wild Brown Trout averaging five pounds.

I have fished in Europe and America, but nothing beats catching a small stream trout on the fly or a lunker on a lure high up in the pure air of the Hindukush.

The first run of a mahseer comes close though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:23 am 
Fishaholic

Im very interested in doing some lure fishing for Singhara and Mulley in Marala. How many can you get in a day on spinners and spoons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:57 am 
Fishaholic

hey sualeh,
wonderful pics dude. u seem to be very lucky catching brown trouts. amazing pics. good job. dont the very fast moving waters hold some mahseers?? did u try for mahseers there??

regards,
abhi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:23 pm 
Fishaholic

hi Ali

I didn't know you are in Miami. Happy snook and bass fishing there. As for Ghizer Valley, its on my hit list now and I would certainly like to know about those secret lakes which have average 5 lb brownies. :lol:

As for Marala, it has always been a fishing heavens but since the last two years, there has been too much of illegal netting. There is still lot of fish but you see its a large water body, three rivers. You really have to be at the right spot and than one may catch plenty. There are still large size Malleys, singharas and sawls in the river but the majestic mahseer, for which marala was so famous is gone, courtesy ruthless illegal netting. It will indeed be a pleasure to have you here, either in marala or mangla. In the meanwhile, you can give a tough time to snooks and basses of Miami.
Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Abhi

Thanks for the comments. All these trout have been hooked from the northern areas of Pakistan at altitudes between 8000-13800 ft. I havent come across any mahseer in that area :cry: though it would have been fascinating to have both mahseer and trout in the same lake :D Perhaps trout waters are too cold for mahseer. Mahseer is found in Indus river at altitudes 5000 ft and below. Happy fishing.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Beutiful country side!!! and beautiful fish!!! good show Sualeh!!!

Tight lines!!!

Post subject: what a beauty
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,
ur photography and the catch -and it all -is just about magnificent ! After seeing these beauties and the beautiful Pics I am reminded of 2 places----Sikkim and Alaska . This is obviously virgin land and retains its beauty . Someday maybe we'll fish together.....Cheers...Ham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh Sahib,

I'll certainly let you know about my secret lake, its not that much of a secret anymore though the only thing that keeps people from going their is the four hour walk.

As for Mangla, this seaon I caught about twenty Singharas ranging between one and six pounds all on No.5 Mepps from Jharri Kus. Released half of them, fried and karahiofied the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:03 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Hamdhingra

I can only imagine how wonderful it would be in Alaska and Sikim. [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif] You know its my combined passion for trekking and fishing which takes me to such far flung places. There is nothing like climbing a rocky karakoram mountain for hours to reach a virgin lake, full of brownies. :lol: :lol: I think we will benefit a lot from your experience. By the way, what tackle, bait and technique you use for murrel and rohu fihsing???

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:09 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali

So you already had a good trip to Mangla this season. Never hooked a mahseer in Mangla??? What tackle you normally use in Mangla? What is your preffered technique??? I will be waiting for your arrival back home and we can go to Mangla, Marala or wherever. Cheers and happy fishing in miami.

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Suleh,

Beautiful places you have there. Nice pics too. The sizes of the trouts are good too.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Brilliant pics Sualeh! Thanks for sharing.Those places look heavenly!
Regards,
Yaj.

Last edited by yaj on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the info, will try out the suggestions.Keep catching the best freshwater fighting fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh Sahib,

I went to Mangla five times in April and May. All of my fishing was done from shore using my trusty Ugly Stik bigwater rod with which I can cast quite a distance, all of the fish were caught on spinners. Nothing touched the the chilwa rigs.

When I was a kid (not that long ago, mentally Im still one) I used to troll with the Sindhi maccheras, but these days the thheka in Mangla is limited because of the dam raising project which has been a blessing as the fish stocks have improved, but their are no boats around to rent and the motor on my own boat is busted so it was all spinning from shore.

Their are are very few mahseer in Mangla, in is twenty years of fishing there my dad has never caught one. This is surprising considering the fact that the famous tangrote stretch lies beneath Mangla. Its all about singhara and a few mulleys if you like spinning and also common carp if you like that sort of thing.

Tarbella is the only place left where one can go and catch decent mahseer regularly, but you'll need a good reliable boatman. I went on one trip in June and in a total of five hours of fishing caught a little three pounder, but it was more of a pleasure trip than serious fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali

Thanks for shanring the experience. How does singhara fight. I have never been able to catich a big specimen. Must have been a good experience. I will be waiting for your return and than we can coordinate a trip to Tarbela or Mangla or even Ghizer Valley. You know trout fishing always fascinates me. :lol: :lol:

By the way, i am going to Skardu in September. Though i have other committments but i will surely find some time for trout fishing. Will carry my travel kit along.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh wrote:
Hi Ali

How does singhara fight. I have never been able to catich a big specimen.

depends from sighara to singhara... some are dead weight... don't put up a fght at all, while others fight like there is no tomorrow... have always had mixed results with singhara... they take a mepps no. 5 aglia long very well... spin along the bottom in a sa place and you are sure to get a bite... very different bite pattern from a mahseer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:38 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Indiangypsy

Thanks for the tips. Appreciate. Would certainly give it a try. :wink:

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali
Heard your father caught the biggest trout in Pakistan a long time back. Where was it caught and what was the weight?? Can you please share. Do metion the tackle/technique used also
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:24 pm 
Fishaholic

My father's fish was caught from a lake that is quite an open secret, but I would still not use the name in print. Its in District Ghizer near the Shandur pass.

He used a no.5 Mepps and it was the first fish he caught from that lake.

His fish is considered to be the unofficial rod caught record at eighteen pounds, but I think a few larger ones have been caught.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow...18 lbs, what a fish it would have been. [smilie=coolup.gif] any pics Ali??? and when was it caught??
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:51 am 
Fishaholic

18 pounds :-) Thats one big fish.

Do post a pic if possible............... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 pm 
Fishaholic

The pics are in Pakistan, I'll post them sometime when I go back.

It was caught in September 83, two months before I was born.

If you guys frequent the PGFA site much it was from the same lake that our two webmasters visited this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:09 pm 
Fishaholic

18 pounds. That's Troutzilla!!!!!

Is this lake still stocked with these kind of fish or have the meat collectors come and done what they do best - exterminate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:13 am 
Fishaholic

Got it...Ali 8)
thanks
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:24 am 
Fishaholic

MKen,

Its not what it used to be but the average fish is still around the three pound mark. Five to eight pound fish are still quite common.

Most of the lunkers were killed by an old man from the nearest village who dynamited the lake in the late eighties because he thought that the lake was becoming "be-purdah" and the mountain spirits would punish them for it.

The meat collectors usually dont go there as it requires a three to five hour walk to reach it.

Their are still a handful of massive (15 lb. +) trout around, you can sometimes see them swimming about but they are uniterested in whatever anglers offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Ali,

If it suits u, why dont u, me and Sualeh plan a trip to this lake next summer ( God Willing) 8)

What sayst Thou Oh!!!!! Lord of the Trout!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow, a number of 15 lb uninterested trouts :shock: :shock:
No worries mate, we can find something that can be of interest to them.
Get ready for a trout trip nex summers Shaphan. :lol: :lol:
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Sure, August is a good time.

I havent been there in a few years myself, it'll be nice to catch some quality trout.

But before we go up their to enjoy the cool weather we're gonna have to catch some decent mulleys and singharas on lures.