->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:09 am 
Enlightened

PHG - a spot for you guys in delhi ...

this must be a surprise but you will be speeding to vasant kunj ...

there is a small pond / lake next to the biotech institute / sanjay van area where people gather every evening with a few rods in the water ... have been noticing it for a 2 weeks now driving back from work ...

the story behind this lake is that it was given to a fish contractor who put the stock in it but has left the lake now to the delight of the local anglers ... first it was the guys with bamboo rods and line ... locals who tried to catch the stuff once the contractor left to get some easy fish ... then some vasant kunj anglers must have noticed that this was a perfect spot walking distance from home ...

every evening there are a few cars lined up and anglers at work ... good sight in a city where mahseer was found once in Okhla ...

the sad part is that a bridge is being planned on this lake that will destroy the lake as well as the fish stock if the columns go into the lake ... will try and find out if this is a single span bridge or will initiate some action ...

my light tackle is in the mountains so I am going to watch this weekend ... or steal a tackle from a friend ... more about it later.

If you PHG guys want to meet up at the lake, let me know ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hey bagiganga m one of the anglers fighting for a catch every now & then come there today evening & u will find me there as 2 mumbers from PHG had already tryed there luck there with no catch, & me as far as had caught more then 40-45 fishes till now in the past few weeks....so join me today evening..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hi BG,

Like omeone on the forum said.... there are 2 types of anglers... those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish...

I've made 2 trips to the "Atomic Pond" in VK; the first trip was for curiosity and to find out whats going on in the back yard... the second trip there was out of sheer desperation and boredom..

At the end of the day, I'd rather undertake the 3 hour drive to the pump house rather than go and fight plastic bags... to add to that... like V Prashant says, he has taken 40-50 fish from there... besides him, on anygiven day when you drive past, you can see any where from 5 to 50 "anglers" (read local shikaris) sitting there and trying there luck. It is a matter of time before that place is cleaned out... the numbers hae already fallen since the lease on the place finished in Feb, and it is still netteed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:17 pm 
Fishaholic

As I have heard this pond was once a great spot for fishing but now the only fish found in this place is African Mangur. I think Prashant and other 5 to 50 anglers are doing a great service by removing them :o . If I have my way I will blast that place to get rid of these vermines so as to redevelope that place and give our own local fishes some chance to survive. Bagiganga please give that place a try and do some service to our environmental drive by removing some of the mangurs. In that process if you catch some plastic then also remove that. Atlest at the end of day there will be one pond with some plastic less. I will bless the day when this particular pond is cleaned out. :lol: . some of the fishes there are legends in themselves and are credited of breaking at least 50 hooks. Give them a try. You know how these mangurs are creating havoc for the eco system of over lakes and ponds.

We here of mumbai forom are designing one mangur trap to be tried in powai lake on the line of Crab Trap. Does any one have any experience / suggestion regarding this design. We will be highly grateful for any help in this matter. :D
Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ali

Use a 5 foot long, 6 inch diameter weighted PVC tube blocked at one end and baited with chicken intestine. Leave the pipe in the lake overnight and haul it out the next morning in one swift motion. Sure to catch one magur per pipe.

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank Bop,
Will give it a try. We were planning something big but yours is a simple sugestion. Hope it works. These mangurs are the biggest bloke in our drive to re-introduce mahaseer in this lake. We are releasing 30000 mahaseer fry this season in our lake. Lets hope for the best.

Regards..

Ali.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

On a larger scale here is the best way to remove many magur in a short span of time.

Use empty two litre bottles of coke or pepsi etc as a float attached to a 40 lb mono line baited with 3/0 hooks and chicken intestine. The bait should rest just above the lake bottom. Have about twenty of these made and leave these overnight.

By next morning the magurs would have taken the bait and tired themselves out due to the buoyancy of the empty bottles. Pull them out and reset the jug lines for the next night. You should be able to pull out a lot of magur in a weeks time.

Cheers
IA