->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:14 am 

Am planning a trip around 15th Aug for Mahseer/Trout.
Can anyone advise any good locations around chandigarh/kasauli/manali etc.
How are Bhakra and this place called Rodu ?

Much apprec yr kind feedback/comments/suggestions.

Cheers Rohit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mate,
Do not think this this is a proper time to go fishing in Himanchal due to rain. Why not try Sukhna lake of chandigarh. I am not aware wether the fishing is open there but you can try and if fishing is open we expect you to mail that so as we all will know the status of the same. I know of some places near Paonta sahib but the water will be muddy and this is the spawning time for mahaseer. :roll:

regards,

Ali :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Bhakra opens on the 15th (1st on paper but the fisheries guys wait an extra to weeks). It is pretty bad this time of the year. water levels are really high, right to the bush line, so there is no place to stand or sit. All the boats are hired as there is a mela (something like the kanwarias who trek to haridwar). thousands land up on foot, cycles and buses and guess where they all crap.

Ropar is doing well these days. But that is right now.

Pong will be better than Bhakra in terms of the environment but it is fished out.

Nangal will get you more fish. But only on bait. The fish don't like lures there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rohit,

If it's Manali you're looking at, the Beas will be shot (too dirty). The smaller streams neas Kulu and Naggar have some good brown trout.

'Rodu'- I assume you mean Rohru, east himachal. Yep, the Pabbar river has good trout but your problem will be dirty water and no sidestreams.

Mken has already answered the Bhakhra end...

Cheers

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

like the boys said... HP in aug. is a big no no... waste of time & energy! The water levels are high and the fish seem to vanish... you might have better luck with trout in the Larji area in mid september once the water levels go down...

Bhakra gets really croweded thanks to the pilgrimage at Naina Devi and pong is heavily netted... would not recommend that place last tim i was there, all I got was 2 fish (weights are not worth mentioning) in 3 days!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:23 pm 
Fishaholic

I have been roaming around Himachal between 1991 and 1998 didn’t do any fishing, I don’t have any clue what’s the situation at this moment however I have seen some streams with fishes. Get down at Mandi then go towards Sudharngar / Aut, basically to your left you will get the Steam once you take a right from Mandi, the water is clear during the fishing season one can spot the fish from the banks. Give it a try if you are going there.

Tathagata

Last edited by Tathagata on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
I have been roaming around Himachal between 1991 and 1998 didn’t do any fishing, I don’t have any clue what’s the situation at this moment however I have seen some streams with fishes. Get down at Mandi then go towards Sudharngar, basically to your left you will get the Steam once you take a right from Mandi, the water clear during the fishing season one can spot the fish from the banks. Give it a try if you are going there.

Tathagata

The Beas in the Mandi area is off limits to fishing... there are boards all along the way till Pandoh Dam which say no fishing... i think what they really mean is No Fish... :cry: a new dam has been created up stream from Pandoh, and the bBeas waters have been diverted into the Sutlej....

Been there done that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:35 pm 
Fishaholic

CURSES!!!!!!! They will Kill every thing for more electricity.

Tathagata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats the reason why HP is a "Power Surplus State" today... they have gone to the extent of damming small springs/nullahs and setting up hydro electric projects to take the local villages off the main grid... this has really hit the mahseer hard cause these are the very springs and nullahs the mahseer breeds in...

Till a few years ago, the HP fishiries dept. ran a very successful Mahseer Breeding Prog. for the yellow and red fins, but sadly, today they focus on the RCC variety (rohu, catla, carp) cause thse fish are more "commercially viable"! Besides the RCC, the only other thing they are breeding today is trout... they have hatcheries around Larji. Most of the trout is sold to the locals to raise in the kullu/manali area... this is then sold fresh to the local yuppie toursit or packed in trucks for the 5 stars of Delhi...

sad but true...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:15 am 
Fishaholic

I received a mail from Mr.KB Ralhan, Secretary General of Himachal Angling Association [of which I am a life memmber] for the annual meet for trout fishing in Kullu sometime in Sep, 07. I have little interest because there are too few fish. If only we had a few water bodies in HP which were well maintained. Do feel free to write to Mr.Ralhan at [1] himachal_angling@yahoo.com or at [2] smctrust@bsnl.in.

Request Mr.Ralhan to give correct , up to date advice on the quality of the water body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashok,

HAA is a dying society. I remember meeting Mr. Ralhan sometime in 1998. He had retied from active service then and taken up his post with the HAA full time then. The waters in HP held a lot of promise then, but a decade on, I sadly can't say the same.

I too am a life member of HAA, and I sadly state, that 95% of the members of the HAA are excellent meat collectors. And its not just the members, but collection is on in the ranks of the governing body, specially with the Palampur crowd. I will not take any names, but I think you know who I'm talking about.

To be fair, HAA tries to do what it can to promote angling, but it does nothing to protect the reason of its existance.

I remember a time when it was safe to call Palampur the angling Mecca of HP, but sadly those days are gone, and I wonder what it will take for them to return.

Cheers,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear IG,

Last year was the first & only meeting of HAA I have attended to date. I was disappointed. I wanted a situation where we said that these are 2-4 water bodies for mahseer/trout ; this the situation today and this a roadmap for the period 2008/09 or so.

Unfortunately most people were not in that frame of mind, had food & drink and finally went home the next day.

IG, I have no personal war with meat collectors but even they need to know that there is hardly any meat around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashok,

Personally, I'm not at war with the MCs'... all I want is for them to see the bigger picture, which unfortunately most don't.

Trust me, I was introduced to the great wide open by meat collectors, and was one my self till better sense prevailed...

Unfortunately, today the HAA is like an old lady... most of the members are past the prime of their life, and the meetings are reduced to a bunch of people rambling, but nothing being done about it. I guess this is because HAA is being activly run by a MC... Mr. B... you know who i speak off...

A lot of anglers who are keen on conservaton have had really bad experinces with him and therefore today they want to have nothing to do with HAA... The Biggest Meat Collection drive they organize is once a year under the guise of an Angling Competition, where everyone kills their mahseer so that it can be weighed in by the fishries dept. (I know cause I've won the trophy many a times in the past) There is no active participation on the part of the HAA or HP fishries to conserve fish other than the closed season from the 1st of June till the 15th of August.

As far as HAA is concerned, it is only alive today because of Mr. Ralhan. If and when he leaves, it will be the end of the society.

Anyway, on a lighter note, are you based in or near Palampur? Where do you usually try your luck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:41 pm 
Fishaholic

I live in Panchkula [Chandigarh]. I have not properly fished for the last year but do make it a point to visit Corbett and Rishikesh area regularly. Hope Vedan can fix a trip to Ramganga for Mahseer this October.

When I visited Larji in Sep 07 I saw a whole lot of trout jumping out of Thirtan which has become a lake downstream [confluence of Thirthan-Sainj] of the rest house because of the barrage on Beas further downstream. But the trout [many looked like brown] did not take my spinners at all.

Coming back to main issue - we do need a pan india association immediately - with local chapters - who are bound to implement plans in a business like manner!!!

Any suggestions Bops? As correctly pointed by IG HAA today has only 5% people who are active & passionate about sport fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Ashok, please PM IG, i'm sure you guys can work something out.

If there is anything I can do to help you guys please let me know.

I have met with some rather influential people here in Bangalore and have discussed the opening of an all India Association of Anglers. I will update all of you once things actually get underway.

Bops