->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Friday 22/June/2007 Afternoon.

Santosh calls up. What’s up buddy. Nothing great. So what about fishing. Lets go Saturday morning. Sure, why not. What about Dr. Yejnesh. He is busy with his newly born angler. O.K. see you at Powai 10.30 P.M.

Friday 22/June/2007 Evening.

I call up Zainul, my friend and an avid angler to join us. He is also Game. The program for Saturday is fixed.

Saturday 23/June/2007 Morning.

It is cloudy and the lake is almost full. Only one Machan is available. There is a sense of expectancy in the atmosphere. If it rains heavily the fishes will start biting. Man this is Catla season. We all are fed up catching Mirgals and Silvers.

Saturday 23/June/2007 Noon.

It is still cloudy. No bites yet.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 1.30 P.M.

Santosh catches a big Tilapia. Is he not happy.?

Santosh’s tilapia

Saturday 23/June/2007, 2.30 P.M.

Still no bites. One of the member, sitting next to us has just caught a big silver by line touch method. There is a great temptation to follow his method but the imposing image of the water god is restraining us. No foul fishing man, no foul fishing.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 4.30 P.M.

Still no bites. Santosh and My brother Hussaini are landing Tilapia one after another. The same member has caught another silver. It is huge man. Must be more than 40 lb. There is a inquiring look from Jawwad, my driver, his unspoken words are screaming. Why do not you also start the line touch method. Almost all the member of the lake pulling their line through water in hope of catching some thing. The temptation to take there path is so great. Nooooooooo foul fishing man, no foul fishing. Santosh and Hussaini have landed some more Tilapia.

My Brother with his Catch.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 4.35 P.M.

First bite of the day. The float dipped nicely as I am lighting the #%$# cigarette. Missed the strike.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 5.30 P.M.

Zainul catches the first fish of the day. A 5 lb Mirgal in prime condition.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 6.30 P.M.

Still no luck. One of our friend Jawed has just caught a Great 10 lb Mangur. Still no catch. The ground bait bucket is almost empty. The fishes are circling round my float. The rising bubbles show their activity underneath. There are huge splashes in front of us as the fishes jumps up or whirl on the surfaces.

Jawed’s Mangur

The first rain drop strikes the lake. Soon after, it is raining. Thank god, the rain is here. Now the fishes will bite.
Zainul catches his second fish. Again it is a 3lb Mirgal.

Zainul,s Mirgals

Saturday 23/June/2007, 7.00 P.M.

The wind is picking up. The moderate drizzle just a few moment ago is becoming a heavy down pore. Every one and every thing , despite the protection of boat-roof, is wet.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 7.05 P.M.

The heavens are pouring. The strong wind just a moment ago has become a raging gale. The other wise calm surface of the lake has turned into a swirling torrent of water and wind. The Machan with witch our boat is tide is groaning with the wind pressure. The boat is lurching dangerously. Santosh is still holding his rod in the hope of catching a fish. It is too dark for me to see the float. It is hope less to even think of going out of water in that strong wind. Our boat will be swept away. Mrs. Santosh is calling up repeatedly to ask him to come out of water. She is sure afraid.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 8.00 P.M.

It is still pouring. Every thing is wet. The wind is slackening a bit. A boat is coming towards us. It is Afzal, the expert boat man of the club. He will toe us out.

Saturday 23/June/2007, 8.30 P.M.

Finally we are out of water. It is still raining very hard. All of us are receiving calls from our wives. Looks like they are really afraid about us. All of them are sounding scared and angry. They want us to come home immediately but we are busy making plan for tomorrow, fully aware that we have to face angry sharks at home to even think of going to the lake on Sunday. What then, it has rained today and the fishes will bite tomorrow. I did not caught a single fish today but tomorrow is another day. Surly the fishes will bite. LONG LIVE ANGLING.

Sunday is another story and will be told on some other day..

Rgards

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:58 pm 
Fishaholic

congratulations Ali, Santosh, Zainul....
fishing amidst of thunderstorm :shock: must have been an experience
good thing that ya people didn't follow the foul way... :lol:
keep doin it...good luck for future...

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:00 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ali,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any fish......but there is always a next time.Hope you catch a big 1's the next time you go out there.

Best of luck for the next time.

Congrates Jawed for the Magur.

Bye
Take care

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Cannot forget that rain.. :shock:
for a moment I thought Ohh God this is like 26th July 05.
Never seen that big waves in a lake.. :shock: But I truly enjoyed fishing in that heavy rain, gusty winds & big lightning’s.. a mini version of The Perfect Storm.. :wink:

What happened after I went home is another story & cannot be told... :roll: [smilie=smack.gif] [smilie=spank.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:13 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
What happened after I went home is another story & cannot be told... :roll: [smilie=smack.gif] [smilie=spank.gif]

You do not have to tell man. the above is self explanatory.

:twisted: :lol:

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice one Guys....Keep up the good Job.. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali, Thanks man...

For those who haven't met him, he is very passionate angler I have came across.. his words as above are self explanatory about his love for angling... I have so far learned a lot from him..

Mucho gusto en conocerlo... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:20 pm 

Bash on regardless guys! Great going!!
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:00 am 
Fishaholic

amazing narration and amazing angling!!! keep going guys!!!

Cheers,

Dhruv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Next time carry a snorkel.

Great going people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Everyone,
With the change of month it seems my luck has also changed. The previous failures to land any fish on previous occasions were taking its toll and the malaise of self doubt was some how creeping in. The best day to fish in Powai is the day when the dam adjoining the Powai garden starts overflowing. The overflow started on 30th June 2007 but as you all must have seen on the news channel that the rain fall in Mumbai on that day was so horrible and all the roads were converted in small rivers it was impossible to reach the lake. This frustration was also compounded due to my inability to join Santosh, Yaj, Godfree and Charlmichal for a day trip to river Kondalika due to some unavoidable circumstances. (Though it proved a blessing in disguise, as due to heavy rains the river was flooded and it was not fishable. Every one has to wade through the flooded streets of Mumbai to reach their homes. It was only santosh who got a bite but how and where, I will let him elaborate.) :twisted: :twisted:
Next day (1st July 2007.) I along with my driver Jawwad (who has been converted to religion ANGLING by handing over a rod and after experience of joy after landing some fishes. Now he is the one who tells me what to do and what not to do while fishing.) Interred the lake while sun was still not up. It was still raining and the overflowing water cascading down the dam was like music in the calm early morning. The lake was full with anglers who have not gone home the previous night. After lot of speculation and haranguing one spot was selected and we caste our first hook as it was light enough to see. Till 3’O clock there were no bites but after that we caught two Mirgals of each 5 lb. At abut 8 O’ Clock as we were planning to stop but lo and behold, the float dips nicely and on strike the line started ripping the reel like mad. With the first run the fish takes about fifty meter line off the reel. The weight on the rod is tremendous and despite the medium drag the fish is taking the line like mad. My god, it is a biggi. After 15 minutes we both are game and determined. After say about 25 minutes we both are still game but a bit tired. Till now the fish is playing in the clear water but suddenly the line started arching towards a small rocky mound over witch the oxygen pump is situated. I am trying to control the fish but the bugger is determined to circle the snag. Oh god., what to do now. The only thing I can do is to minimize the drag in the hope that the line will not snap due to some sharp edge of the rock. As the line is slacken the fish makes a determine run and circle the mound. Suddenly the line goes limp. The fish is gone man the fish is gone. Jawwad is near tears. The only agonizing word a angler fear most comes on his lips—It is gone sir. As I start reeling the line in there is a small jerk and again the line goes limp. Suddenly there is another jerk and then another jerk. It can not be the fish. The jerks are nothing what I have experienced in my entire angling life. Only immediate vicinity around my boat due to the light of patromex is visible otherwise it is pitch dark. There is a boat tied beside the mound and one Mr. Jawed Ansari, one of my friend and the best angler I have ever met is sitting there. I started calling him like mad in the hope to ask him to bang his boat so as if the fish is still hooked it will again move in the clear water but he is not picking up the phone. As I try to reel in the line there are again some jerks and again I let go the line the line goes limp. The excitement factor is at its peek and to be very honest all limbs of my body are shivering due to the mixed emotions of disappointment, anticipation and uncertainty. Suddenly there is a shout calling my name and asking me to let go the line. Jawed has caught hold of my line and he is controlling the fish with his bare hand. Oh god the fish is still there. Meanwhile Jawwad has called up the club asking them to send a boat immediately. At lost after a wait which seems like an eternity the boat arrives and takes me to Jaweds boat. The fish is almost dead by now after the fight and it is landed without any trouble. It’s a Catla of 33 lb. (weighed later.) This one is the fish of my dream. Man am I not happy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Shot at 2007-07-01

Shot at 2007-07-01

Last edited by angler_ali on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:43 pm 
Fishaholic

nice going guys.
Keep it going.
Cheers!!!
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:01 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ali,

Nice Fish yaar.....great catch.

So my best wishes have come to your rescue.

Congrates yaar.......every sould be proud of you.

Bye
Take care

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Good show Ali :-) .. Catla of 33 lb, :shock: :shock: that's a HUGE one..

Congrats finally you got your dream fish.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ali Bhai Mast Machli re Baap kya bindaas size mara re, apun ko bole tao maza aa gela jhakaas re jhakaaaaaaaaaas :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:49 pm 

lets rename you 'awesome ali'?
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow!

Great fish mate. Keep on rocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi 'awesome ali' great catch man
keep it up
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Ali! The elusive Catla bites the dust!
Great going! Heres hoping to many more Huge ones!
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

amazing..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali bhai.... :shock:

Thats a fish or what !!!

Did you fill it up with air ????

Jude

Post subject: Great going
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:31 pm 

Hi Ali, congrats on probably the 'sweetwater catch of the season'! Some fish you got there. Could you share some more details like hooksize and bait. I guess luck was really with you over the weekend. Firstly, missing the Kundalika escapade by default and then ofcourse, the big one bugger at Powai. Would love to join you guys there some time, if you have place for one more guest i.e.
What did you do with the fish? Bake, fry, curry, or all three?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:23 am 
Fishaholic

Truely...AWESOME :shock: :shock: :shock:

Man thats a CATCH... :shock: :shock:

Keep it coming... :D :D

Post subject: Re: Great going
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

carlmichael wrote:
Hi Ali, congrats on probably the 'sweetwater catch of the season'! Some fish you got there. Could you share some more details like hooksize and bait. I guess luck was really with you over the weekend. Firstly, missing the Kundalika escapade by default and then ofcourse, the big one bugger at Powai. Would love to join you guys there some time, if you have place for one more guest i.e.
What did you do with the fish? Bake, fry, curry, or all three?

Carl
Thanks for the compliment and let me comfess that i am happy like a child.
You are most welcome to join me any time you feel like. My machan in Powai will be ready within this week and all of us can fish together there.
Just talk to santosh and fix up a plan. it will be my plasure if all of you join me for one day of fishing.

Regards,

Ali.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ali ,, Great fish ,,, I just posted a Mumbai get together this coming Sunday .... what say ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali Bro...

congratulations for that monster Katla...
i agree with Carl, that this is the sweetwater catch of the season... :lol:
way to go...keep them coming up...and good luck ahead [smilie=superkewl.gif]

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:54 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ali,
Man thats a nice fish... and a great experience too. Congrats!

30th June was a good day for me too at Powai. I managed to land two Silver Carp (13kg & 13.5 Kg), 3 Mirgals (5 kg, 3kg, 2 kg). I missed a big one, guess it was a Catla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Vishal .. Call me ... have lost your new number ... have suggested a Sunday trip to Powai for Mumbai IA guys ... you on ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:05 am 
Fishaholic

Hi 'Awesome Ali',

great going.......Congratulations !

Thanks for the narration part...makes it really interesting. feel like I am personally there.

Keep it up. hope to catch up with you guys in Dec/Jan when I'm down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

vishalgonsalves wrote:

30th June was a good day for me too at Powai. I managed to land two Silver Carp (13kg & 13.5 Kg), 3 Mirgals (5 kg, 3kg, 2 kg). I missed a big one, guess it was a Catla.

hi Vishal,
Alas I could not come to Powai on 30th June.. that day was the day to fish.. waterlogging and all.. Why do you not post the pictures of your Silvers so as all of us can admire your catch.. Sorry that you missed the big one.. Do you fish often in powai.. lets fish together some day along with other bombay/ Pune members. we can fish from my machan.. As sunday is very crowded lets plan on any other week day. What say. All the Bombay members are requested to contact santosh and fix up the date..

Regards..
Ali

P.S. If you all are intrested i will start ground baiting in advance for two three places..

Post subject: congrats
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Man I had no idea that fish are so big. Thats a monster sir and how I wish that I catch one someday. Fabulous fight and story.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:32 am 
Enlightened

Hi Ali,
I have taken pics of the fish i caught on 30th. But i am not excited enought to post them. Sorry for that.

The pics are available i can send it via email to you. let me have your id.

Fred is meeting me this sunday and we are going to fish together. He did mention that you guys are going to join as well. Lets meet at 7.30 am at the club.

I would prefer fishing at the dam, the one near the broken bridge, next to the pipe. Thats a good spot for catlas.

Ali, i do remember seing you at the club. Infact you were fishing just next to me. Its the day when you guys were running out of luck and moved out of the dam area at around 3-4 pm. There were 3 of you and you were on the dam. I was along with my bro-inlaw and was helping him fish.

I fish very often at powai, as its the only where i can reach after a tiring days work. Its close from my work and office place. I try and make it on 2nd and 4th Sat. Some times on a sunday's (if family permits).

But But But.. i never leave an oppurtunity to go fishing..

See you on Sunday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vishal,
Was that you who caught a small silver that day and missed the big one in the morning...

My email i.d. is angler_ali@yahoo.com

Regards...

Ali...

I heard owen is also joining us on sunday.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:47 pm 
Enlightened

Yep it was me.. and it was not one but two misses. The actual problem was the line. I had left my favourite reel in the locker and had carried the spare one in my bag. Did want to go back to get it as i dint want to lose my favourite spot.
One of the big fellows just dragged about 100 mts of the line and since i was running short of line i had to tighten the drag.. was successful to some extent..fought the fish with that condition for a long time and the it started all again...zurrrrrrrrrr katak... the line just went off.

should be getting a penn 8500ss and a 321GTI shortly, hopefully should be land those big guys with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Have fun. Great fishing. [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject: Congrats Ali
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:05 pm 
Fishaholic

You seem to good thriller writer as well as fisherman. Good Show Man Good Show. Its full of emotions.
Regards
Tathagata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:33 am 
Fishaholic

Nice fish guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

Great fish Ali, can imagine the emotions during the fight.
You were lucky to have some help in the right place.
Hope to meet you guys this Sunday.
Tight Lines
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Superb, Ali. I was hoping to fish Powai some years back, but was told it was hopelessly polluted and no one fished there anymore.
Next time I'm in town, I may have to get up there and give it a try...

I've never caught a catla before, but I'm fired up after seeing that fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops saw Powai lake today & he loved it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Firstly let me thank Santosh for taking time off and meeting up with me as well as for the superb lunch at Yoko's :lol: I had a nice time and got to visit Lake Powai.

You guys are really lucky to have a lake like that bang in the middle of Mumbai. It's really pretty with the forested areas around it and it was amazing to see the large number of anglers on a weekday. I was equally impressed with the floating machans some of which are floating houses!

I always thought lake powai was a polluted lake, boy was I in for a surprise :wink: The water looked green but it was clear and there was no floating debris or smell.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:24 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops,

Welcome back to the madness. How was your trip? Post pics and stories soon.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Soon Apoo, lots of pics to sort out.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

HI Bops,

hope you tried the awesome garlic & pepper sauces [smilie=madking.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yup loved the dips :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Just a short note, I visited Powai lake yesterday and met up with Ali, Santosh, Yaj, Fred, Hussain, Godfrey and Vishal Gonsalves. It was a nice experience and though I got an hours fishing at the jetty, I didn't have much luck as the fish weren't on the feed.

It was great meeting all of you, thanks for making me feel at home. I wish I could have stayed on for longer but I will come again to settle scores with the monsters in the lake :-)

The flight back home was re-scheduled three times and I ended up reaching home at 3 AM :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bops, it was nice to have you in Powai, you are right.. the fishes were not feeding yesterday.. plan a couple of days trip so that we can try different tactics to get the giants.

I got busted on last two sundays by big fish & on this sunday got no bites.. :( .. the only lucky angler among all of us was Hussaini to get one nice 5 Kg. Hybrid...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

It was entirely our pleasure Bops! Hope to see you take another crack at the Powai fish soon :wink:
Regards,
Yaj.