->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

Well done Tosh. Nice looking Rohu. You guys can make a difference and get people to change their angling style.

I do think that for high pressure water the European boilie style of fishing will work very nicely given time.

Extensive groundbaiting with boilies will be required for a while till the fish switch to the new high protien baits.

I have a great book on the eveloution of baits for still water fishing that i can lend you guys during my next visit to Mumbai. It will give you an idea of how baits have evolved.

An important thing is that it is a clean style of fishing, and huge amounts of soil will not be sent into the lake every day along with the ground bait, which finally create mounds of soil in the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen,

Working on the boilie style of fishing, hopefully the fish at powai start taking it. Don't know how many will change, (somewhere on the forum had a similar discussion on people fishing for pot) also some members are total meat collectors and will catch as many fish they can and almost on daily basis. Unless the method is totally banned or at least a catch limit is fixed, sadly I don't foresee much changing here.

Owen, it is also very difficult to land a big carp (5 kg plus) with size 3 or 4 rohu hooks (I hope I got the nos. right) you lose the fish in very first run even on light drag, this is my personal experience. Any suggestions??

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Had a session of boilie fishing on hair rigs at Powai a couple of saturdays ago - caught two carps - cleanly - both released. This was my first experience with the hair rig. By the way, a couple of "regulars" at Powai would not even acknowledge the fact that boilies could work at Powai and looked at me increduously when I claimed to have had some success !

Santosh, that was the saturday the club had its managing committee meeting, I believe you too were fishing with Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Tosh,

The boilie style fo fishing if done by a number of you guys on a regular basis, will eventually get the fish eating boilies more frequently than the present baits, due to the nutrition value of the boilie.
It might eventually put an end to the fish even looking at traditional baits that have been used in the lake till now. When you read the book you will understand why. You will also need to change to carp rigs along with the boilies for better hookup's.

Guy's have tried this out on the Kaveri for mahseer with the boilies being in the form of ragi on rigs, but landed up catching a lot of rohu instead of mahseer.

Regarding hook size for rohu, i have had good success with size 8 hooks. The hooks should have a wide bend. You can go upto size 4 hooks for rohu, any bigger than that and the hook will invaribly be too big to enter the small mouth of the fish easily, and result in nibbles rather than clean take, turn and run by the fish. Ensure that the bait is small and cylinderical for rohu and mirgal.

For the other's like catla or silver carp, size 4 hooks should be a good choice, but ensure that the thickness of the wire of the hooks is less so that penetration is better and that the hooks are needle sharp and super strong. Same goes for rohu and mirgal hooks.

I took a look at the hook you were using for the rohu in the landing net. I think it is a touch thicker than necessary. I would prefer a bent back eye hook when fishing float or ledger.

A good hookup for rohu will usually be at the corner of the mouth as it takes the bait and turns to bolt, rather than in the top or bottom lip, which i think are lucky hookups as the fish tries to back off or eject the bait.

Many boilie hooks come with bent forward eyes. Will spare you some hooks of both types next visit. You will find a definate improvement in hookup ratio, and may find a pattern that works better for you.

To sum it up, try using smaller thinner hooks with a wide bend. The pattern of the rohu hooks from Kolkata are fine, but they are lousy when it comes to strength.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hawk,.. yes i was there.. came there at 5 PM and caught a 3 Kg, Mrigal.

Thanks again Owen, will change and experiment with hook setups & carp rigs . so when is your next visit to Mumbai..? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:53 pm 
Fishaholic

As soon as my friggin boss calls :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
As soon as my friggin boss calls :lol:

why dont you call him up and say your missing him .. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:06 pm 
Fishaholic

That was a good show Santy :)
Congratulations....

Regards
Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Doc

When are you coming??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:21 pm 
Fishaholic

where is Ali Bhai ??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:32 pm 
Fishaholic

V Prashant wrote:
where is Ali Bhai ??????

You have his cell No. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Santo....
My family trying to send me in exile...:((
I'm fighting with all my weaponry....
Lemme fix up everything...till then good bye
And all the good wishes for that "elusive ones"

Regards
Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Fight well .. my best wishes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:37 am 

Fredfish wrote:
Asif .. no mate .no freshwater frenzy - just cayching up with some real good company and human being --Sanotosh / Ali / Jawad/ Vishal/ Virendra / Yaj --- all great guys .. keep yourself Free in the 2nd week of Ocober -- Thursday to Sunday --- will make a salty out of you YET

thnx for the invite Freddy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi santosh nice fish ,wish to join you all once more with different style of fishing (protein filled boiles)
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
Hi Tosh,

A good hookup for rohu will usually be at the corner of the mouth as it takes the bait and turns to bolt, rather than in the top or bottom lip, which i think are lucky hookups as the fish tries to back off or eject the bait.

Regards
Owen

Hay Owen,
Your post is really informative but to say that Santosh's catch was a lucky hookup is not fair :evil: . It was a proper angler's strike through which Santosh caught those Rohu :roll: . The bait taking pattern of same speciec of fishes in diffrent environment differ and as per as Powai is concerned the fish will never take the bait and bolt. It some time takes the bait in its mouth and then spit it out. That is the time you exicute the strike. That is why dead line never work here. Here in Powai no fish will hook itself. It is the angler who has to exicute the strike at the right time. That is why the fishing at Powai is so exciting :D :D . The best way to land a fish here is to use of zero weight hook set with floating weight concept :!: .

What say Santosh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,
I agree your Powai fish are an extremely shy lot, and fish all over the world get thet way when they are under constant pressure from anglers.
That is why the boilie style of fishing with variations was developed.

As you mentioned in one of your very early posts, a running lead is a good way to bring back some confidence in the fish, so that they don't spit out the bait at the feel of the slightest resistance.

I will give you some running lead that i have developed which gives the fish a couple of feet to move before they feel resistance, and with super sharp hooks, heavy lead and a proper rig you will catch fish ledger style even in Powai.

Check with hawkeye, i think he has had success with boilie fishing (on rigs i assume) at Powai already.

Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Interesting.. Owen, we are experimenting a lot with rigs.. i have also noticed that one can tell the species by the action of the float dipping. I have caught some mrigal and rohu in powai & this is what I have observed.

Mrigal: the float will have either two quick half dips (strike on the second) or one very fast half dip and soon after one complete dip (once the float make a fast half deep, you have to be prepared for the strike as the mrigal will again take the bait)

rohu: one or two half dips ( medium speed).. it does give time for strike if you are watching the float and you don't have to sit with your hands on the rod.

Saiki, Gavin, Ali, Owen your take on this..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

There is an explanation I read somewhere for this kind of float behaviour: the mirgal after it takes the bait moves away before swallowing - hence the half dip followed by the full dip. The rohu on the other hand takes and swallows the bait at the same place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
"Here in Powai no fish will hook itself. It is the angler who has to exicute the strike at the right time."

Ali, I disagree.
I have personally caught mirgal on more than one occasion where the fish has hooked itself and bolted. No strike on my part. Just lifted the rod when I felt the fish.
Agreed, it is not a regular occurence - and perhaps those were lucky hook ups :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

You guys need to read these two books.

Hints to amateurs on tank angling in India
by: P. N Bhattacharyya

Tank angling in India
by: Henry Sullivan Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Where could i get one from?

Any idea Bops!

By the way Trout Tales is fantastic. Brilliant writer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I'm reading one more book from Corey Ford on sporting dogs, makes for very nice reading. I remember reading the second book a long time ago, let me see if I can find a copy tucked away somewhere. Maybe Gavin can find the first one somewhere in Cal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Maybe Gavin can find the first one somewhere in Cal?

Aye Aye Kapitan [smilie=copper.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
You guys need to read these two books.

Hints to amateurs on tank angling in India
by: P. N Bhattacharyya

Tank angling in India
by: Henry Sullivan Thomas

Hey Bops, you got the ISBN number for the 1st book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Dhruv, this is the obly info I have.

Publisher: Thacker, Spink (1915)
Language: English
ASIN: B0008CG3QK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Tank Angling in India is out of print.
I have been trying to get hold of a copy for umpteen years !

Another angling classic by Henry Sullivan Thomas 'The Rod in India" has been reprinted recently by Natraj Publishers of Dehra Dun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

i think either Natraj or EBD in doon might have a print or two lying around...

if anyones got a copy, it can be reprinted without any legal problem... copy-right is only for 70 years!

thanks for the info bops!!!

Last edited by indiangypsy on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dhruv, let me know if you have any luck. I will ask around as well. On a side note, have you spoken to Vedan lately?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

I have a copy of rod in India, but honestly guys i think most of it is outdated and the word kill really kills me.
There are better books available
Regards
Owen

Last edited by Owen on Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:46 pm 

Sudhir Arora, Natraj Publishers , Dehra Dun tel is 987227669
great guy, if its available, he can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
I have a copy of rod in India, but honestly guys i think most of it is outdated

I agree, Owen. In fact most of the available books on Indian angling are out-dated, although a few like 'Circumventing the Mahseer" by Macdonald, "The Compleat Indian Angler" by Masters and "Sunlit Waters" by Conway make interesting reading.

Can you recommend any others?

What happened to the ambitious project for a new book on contemporary indian angling by IA members ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

The best i have read from more recent times is "In search of a legendry fish" by the trans world fishing team, and "Somewhere Down the Crazy River by Paul Boote and Jeremy Wade. Both books are difficult to come by.The former was published in India by Natraj publishers.
The complete Indian angler is also a fine book.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
The best way to land a fish here is to use of zero weight hook set with floating weight concept :!: . Ali..

some lucky dudes had a blast at Powai on Sunday :-) .. Ali looks like your zero weight concept is going to work well.. pics please with the tactics..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

hawkeye wrote:

What happened to the ambitious project for a new book on contemporary indian angling by IA members ?

Hey Hawkeye, aren't you an IA member as well? Where's your contribution to the book? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Check my post again - I said you can count me in ..............to buy the first copy :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
some lucky dudes had a blast at Powai on Sunday :-) .. Ali looks like your zero weight concept is going to work well.. pics please with the tactics..

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes man, we had a blast. The count was something like..
Catla 20 lb 1 Nos.
Rohu 20 lb 1 Nos.
Hibrid 18 lb 1 Nos.
Hibrid 10 lb 1 Nos.
Mirgals 4 to 8 lb 4 Nos.

I will post pictures soon. The zero weight concept with floating weight is a miracle. In addition to that the only hint i can give is that we were using liquid hook bait :!: :!: .

Hay Vishal post the pics please.

Regards..

Ali.. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,
These are some photo. The 20 lb Rohu :!: was caught by Vishal and the 18lb Hibrid was landed by Jawwad :!: .Now do you belive in our liquid hook bait theory. :lol: :lol:

The Nice Bend

The Screaming Run

At last the win

Jawwad’s 18 lb Hibrid

Vishal’s 20 lb Rohu

My photos are with Zainul and I will post them as soon as possible.

Regards.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow! Ali,

Way to go mate. This is what the sport is all about. Finding new ways to rig up and then catching fish (Big Fish) with the new set up.

Cheers mate. Hope fully I will be able to get there and learn something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry, I think I missed someting. What is a liquid hook bait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali, that Rohu & Hybrid is HUGE :shock: .. DAMN.. I missed the action [smilie=disgust.gif]

But I am happy for you guys & glad that the liquid hook bait is working [smilie=hellyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali bhai again your new concept new bait has made me to plan a 2 days trip to Pawai
as said by santosh Ali, that Rohu & Hybrid is HUGE .. DAMN.. I missed the action
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going Guys ! [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Riaz, please dont empty the place of all its fish, before I get there.

Btw, what is this liquid hook bait ? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

The pic of the 20lb rohu looks disturbing.. Presume it was foul-hooked..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:

Mr. Gavin
Your presumption itself is foul. If you care to read the above mail, the fish was properly hooked in mouth.

Riyaz,
When :?: :?: . I am very excited about one new concept of fishing and would love to try it with you. Waiting for you. Just give me a call.

Rulerofsun,
This is a new concept which i will post very soon with photographs etc.

Ken,
Why not this satureday. Come soon man. (Do not leave Dr. Asif behind. :lol: )Would love to fish with you.

Keyur,
Dont worry man. I am groundbaiting one special spot for you only :wink: . The Powai lake can never be empty as here we stick to the best way of conservation. Our policy of catch and stock is doing wonders.
Sure you will catch the :wink: biggi.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow Ali! You guys had a blast! Impressive fish! Cant wait to see your new setup/bait ;-)
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:

Hey Gav,

Was in powai today just for one hour from 5.30 to 6.30 Pm .. That picture may look disturbing to you.. mate look closely and you probably will have the answer.. yes, its bleeding but from where..????

anyways.. had a rocking time today.. one rohu by Ali (6 kg plus) and one rohu caught by me of about 4 kg. on 15 lb line .. will remember the jumps forever.. And for the pessimistic..this was on single baited hooks, cleanly hooked in mouth, fish was released, don't care to ask as no pics taken....

As for the secret??? those who want to know.. pls PM Ali..

Yaj, go to Powai ASAP .. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Yaj, go to Powai ASAP .. :-)

Going there this Saturday :-) .You gonna be there?
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:35 am 
Fishaholic

a bit busy till 7th oct :cry: .. if possible I will be there in the evening.. catch a big one.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

The presumption was based upon the description on the methods of fishing given by Ali himself on one of his threads sometime earlier..
If am also not mistaken, a comment was also made somewhere that the fish in Powai don't take bait, and I for one haven't seen a fish grabbing a bare hook.. ( But I haven't fished in Powai so I wouldn't know )..

Different strokes for Different Folks, I guess.