->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: The Pump House Jig
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

Hit the Pump House again on sunday. Boy was it hot... 45*C in the shade. So was the place.

We reached at around 6 and had our turtle lines out in 30 seconds flat. We call them 'turtle lines' coz that's what the smely gut/liver/fish seems to attract.

Then came the surprise. Dhruv got out a casting rod and set up a small top water plug. This stirred up the water but not the fish. Looking into my bag I found the packet of Storm softies that Bops had sent. Dhruv and I both were very skeptical as we loaded one on.

The first cast was a "hey look at how nicely it swims". The second cast was a hit but the murrel got off. The third cast was a strong hook up.

Caught and released.

And this is the way the rest of the morning went. Practically every softie got a bite. We had frogs on a couple of lines but they were nothing compared to the softies.

The one that got away!!!! In the last 15 mins I got hit by a very big murrel or mulley. It ran even though the drag was pretty tight. And then snapped the 8lbs line like thread.

Unfortunately softies don't survive after being bitten. And we ended up with just one left. BOPS NEED SOME MORE PLEASE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,

good show champ....glad to know that someone is enjoying themselves in the heat.

btw, excuse my ignorance but what are you referring to when you say softies ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Soft lures. Made out of soft rubber/latex/plastic. very realistic and with an added chemical smell.

check the storm lures site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:11 am 
Fishaholic

Man What a trip!!!

First time i've seen factory made stuff work better than the real thing!!!

Bops!!! I need some storm lures too!!! boy were they magical!!! the sol did not know what hit 'em!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:52 am 
Fishaholic

thanks Ken,

didnt know that they were called softies. Seen some of my friends use them. I used to just call them flexible rubber lures :roll:

My pop had some of them in his collection, will salvage them when I get back to B'bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:46 pm 

Ken/Dhruv,
are these the Gulp and other soft worm lures?
If so, wait on, I may be able to get some!
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Doc,

I dunno the srdid details... ken help us out!!! The only thing i know is that they were pink in colour, smelled likeough syrup and the sol were gay!!!

but at the end of the day, they worked wonders!!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there Doc,
They were Storm minnows. Got them from Bops. Yes they were very pink... But when they came out of the closet they kicked some Sol butt. (Incidentally, I wanted the pearl but ordered the Pink Pearl, sometimes making a mistake is a good thing)

Post subject: Murrel at the Pump House
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice post Mahaseerken.And nice photo too. Looks like you had a great time. No more smelly liver and chook guts! Keep them Storms swimming!! pink pearls eh?Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Good job Ken.

So South Asian fish do take soft plastics. Have you tried them on mahseer yet?

I havent been fishing much these days, alot of tense bueraucratic stuff to do, I'll be going to Mangla tommorrow though and cast some hardware to those Singharas maybe I'll get a big Mulley if Im lucky.

Have you ever caught a mulley on a spoon or plug? I know that they are supposed to love lures but Mangla Dam where I usually fish is full of them but all I ever get are Singharas. My dad says Singharas also fight better than mulleys.

Anyway, I hope I get my work succesfully out of the way so I can head up to my ancestral home for a few weeks and do some fly fishing. If I have time I'll try to go to some secret lakes I know of high up in the Hindukush and toss out some hardware for huge carnivorous Brown Trout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Mulleys here take plugs very well. Have caught quite a few of them on plugs (fat raps).

We suspect that the big 'thing' that Ken got on his last cast was a mulley, he bit straigh through the line... Ken was using a Storm lure.

tight lines,

Dhruv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:11 am 
Fishaholic

Taken a lot of mulleys at a place called Narora, now controlled by the UP mafia. They love noisy plugs and hit them pretty hard.

On one trip with the late KK Singh we got about 5 gunny bags full of them and a few Chital (mohi). The smallest was about 6 kgs. But sadly those days are gone.

Like the gypsy says Fat raps are great. So are Rattlin Rapalas, large shad raps, husky jerks and what KK had, a great big 8 inch Abu Terminator dressed in brown and orange with muddy stripes. The damn thing had four sets of trebles.

I remember right there putting a post about this earlier. But the trick was to cast into the sluice gates where the water boiled and rip the plugs out fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
On one trip with the late KK Singh we got about 5 gunny bags full of them and a few Chital (mohi). The smallest was about 6 kgs. But sadly those days are gone.

hello MK,

dude how do ya get hold of this chital (mohi) ???? :-)
need all infos about the tackle setups...please
actually got a pretty big lake (about 50 acres of water) at the suburbs of calcutta, it has got some chital (white in colour, kinda like cats), mindboggling in terms of sizes...some of them are way above 70-80 kgms :cry:
and do i have to use wire leaders for them?

regards
saiki

P.S. guess apoo shall appreciate this infos as well :twisted:

Post subject: help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:56 pm 

can someone please tell me where this pump house is? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:22 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:

Man I still have this spoon he gave me... a daiwa coho... it's got a flo. orange stripe doan the side, and I've got some of my biggest mahseer on that!!!

May he RIP...

IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:26 am 

IG,
i just sprayed my latest 'loo spoon' fluroscent orange! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:04 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ken,

Nice catch buddy.........

Keep the good work going .........

Bye
Take care

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Good show guys! Looks like you guys had Fun!
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Good going guys. Nice murral. I'm still traveling and will check with my suppliers to see if the Storm soft lures are in. The last time I spoke with him they were out of stock :cry:

I'm in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The weather is gloomy and it's really cold. Missing India like crazy :lol:

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Bops ... missing the prongs here ... should be back around 4th July right ... gimme a call .. need some feedback from you on the europe trip