->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Bhakra weekend
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Just got back from a great trip. The weather was a bitch. It rained and was stormy all the time. But after each blow out the fish bit like no tomorrow.

Most of the fish were 3-4kgs. A few above that but none above 6kgs. In all three rods caught about 25 fish in two days.

Some strange things happened.

Fish See In Colour
We were using the regular silver shad raps, silver jointed, silver and shad tail dancers and a few silver husky jerks. The fish were taking these plugs well. Bt suddenly the bite stopped. We started changing plugs till we hit upon a gold tail dancer and a blue magnum (thanks Bops). These plugs were like magnets. We swapped plugs... changed rods... changed the amount of line trolled out... but everytime the fish only hit on these two colours.

Singara take plugs
We got a few big singaras on the blue magnum. the fish were in great condition and about 3 kgs each. Looks like bhakra is going the Pong way.

Drift fishing. Trolling was also very productive.

Lalaji with his mahseer. The red fins were much brighter.

Sorry about the pictures. did not carry my camera or phone out coz of the rain. But on the last morning I did manage to get a few shots of one mahseer caught from a drifting boat.

Last edited by Mahaseerken on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice pic of the mahseer.

Would they allow to fish there after 10th of July?

I am planning for a monthlong trip up north and Vedan told me that angling in Himachal and uttaranchal is closed during that time.

Cheers,
Apoo

Mken, could you PM me your phone number. Or you can SMS me your no. at 9435105161

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

beautiful fish !

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

beautiful fish... :lol:

nice infos MK...

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ken!
Nice going mate. Sorry i missed the trip.
Beautiful looking fish.
Look foward to seeing some pix of tor tor.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Wanted to take more pix but the rain did not let me. Was walking around drenched most of the time.

Apoo!
July is a NO!. The season in HP closes on the 1st of June and opens on the 1st of August. Sometimes they extend the 'off' period to the 15th of August. And then the party begins again.

Please don't try poaching in HP. They are pretty strict and you would not want to lose all your tackle.

Owen!
They looked even more beautiful face to face. We did get a few that were thicker and more red. But as I said no camera in the rain. Got to buy myself a cheap throw away for these trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Ken, splendid stuff mate! Good show.

I'm glad my plugs worked out for you. Maybe you should order some more :wink:

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Amazing fish mate...keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Ken, could you post pics of the lures that worked?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:01 am 
Fishaholic

Sure thing Bops.

Give me till the weekend to shoot the plugs in nice bright sunshine. Or else the colours will be pretty dull. Except for the blue magnum. That one I lost to a very vicious plug eating rock. (Bops! that means i will be surely ordering a few more of those)

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:06 am 
Fishaholic

Nice stuff MK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:19 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Ken Da good 1 keep goin, was Pappu also there even we were planin for the last weekend but got some important jobs to be done :oops: & heads off to Umrao Lala Ji he is an Inspiration for all of us even at this age he is the best as I call him the King of Bhakra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Ken,

great footnote. I suppose that would be applicable to almost all of us....lol

Its good to pick up stuff over the net....the wifey cant keep track of that :wink:

Its working for the moment, especially since she hasnt started counting the rods & reels that are increasing every forthnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Sure thing Bops.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt[/i]

Tell me about it.... :cry:

And I am not even dead yet...She almost gave away :shock: some stuff to the maali the other day . My Berkeley monofilament 30lb ... was almost used as plastic wire to tie up some money plants ...

Great fish,Ken.

Here fishing is restricted on Mahseer and Murral.
Breeding ...The fish...

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

I ve had my rods used as _ " a lamba Jhadoo"to clean the frigging ceiling . The bad thing is that she know which one to use as I had explained to her the 2 piece 3 piece concept ... but she got smart and used the telescopic as the height could be altered by just using the required segments ..and as for the rest of the tackle .. ive run out of places to hide them -- a reel timbling out here ,,, some mono or braid used to tie up the moneyplants -- yes thats not a first -- im lucky shes not fried my arowana when there no fish in the freezer --and used the Congo grey for soup :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but my duaghter a doll --- half the stuff is stored away in her room --- Mken -- daughters are the best at least till they meet some jerk like us with poles in our hands and chiken liver under the bonnet of the car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
till they meet some jerk like us with poles in our hands :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No comment :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Right Fred!

Daughters rule. Mine has her own tackle (both the real stuff and the little magnetic rod and fish) and we go fishing whenever we can. On the carpet, on the bed, in the bathtub, etc. Twice a year for the real thing. And she has caught fish. A little trout in the Ramganga and a pufferfish in Goa.

About the wives. Trust me mate, when it comes to fishing they are just humouring us. Just keep earning the brownie points and cash them in the minute you get a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobster ,, that you ???? ... thought it was Gavin ... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:20 pm 
Fishaholic

hey Fred & Ken how you doing big Brothers......... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Fluff Mken ...now were "related " to the bloke ...Im doing fine PeeVee ... last heard Mken was locked outside his house for stealing all the Cheese from the refrigerator :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Right now I am in exile for three months. Will manage to get parole for good behaviour, if I try hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken, Amazing fish,.. :D

The driver seat looks comfortable with a nice foot rest..
:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:17 am 
Fishaholic

Santosh!

Those boats... they are like the Titanic mated with the Hindenburg. With perpetually drunk... high drivers. Guess the foot rests are to remind everyone that they are stoned.

Post subject: Closed Season- HP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:11 am 
Fishaholic

FYI: The fishing season in Himachal is officailly closed (1st June) (except for trout). It will re-open on the 15th of August

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:28 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I call him the King of Bhakra

Wait till you go to pong with lala ji Prashant!!! you'll crown him emperr then!!! :-) :-) :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:17 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Guess the foot rests are to remind everyone that they are stoned.
:lol: :lol:

I & Yaj once trolled in a badly maintained paddle boat with weight distribution of 76:120, a perfect combination to sink like a stone.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks like it was a great trip.

Ken,

Im planning on going mahseer fishing in a large reservoir soon. I have a few Rat-L-Traps and a couple of similar flat lipless crankbaits by Cotten Cordell, will they work on mahseer? Can I troll them or are they exclusively for casting and bringing in with a jerky retrieve?

Ive never caught a mahseer on a plug before, other than the above mentioned ones I also have some regular swimming and countdown Rapalas and a really nice Chinese Deep Diving plug. Which ones should I concentrate on?

About the Singharas, I went to Mangla again today. The weather was really wierd, still and and extremely hot one minute, windy the next and raining heavily a couple of minutes later. Only caught two small singharas on Mepps no.5 Aglia spinners, released em both. Nothing else touched my lures after that, so I practised my flyfishing by casting out some small wet flys on a sinking line, caught a few chilwas. Then it got too windy to fly cast and I started spinning again. I foul hooked a little kalbonse and caught a brightly coloured tilapia.

Anyways good luck in your further fishing adventures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Howdy Ali,

Mate al I can say is that every plug has its day. I follow a very simple practise. I cal it top to bottom. First I use the top water plugs. Slowly at first and then I work up the retrieve speed. If I get hit by nothing I start using the big lip deep divers. And do the same slow to fast retrieve. If still nothing then i start with the sinking plugs like the Rattlins. I let them hit the bottom and then bounce them off the rocks with the retrieve. This way you work the water from top to bottom.

Another suggestion I have to make is that you cast from left to right or right to left. Working your way from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. This way you really flog the water.

If nothing still bites ten walk 100 mtrs away from the spot and start again.

Trolling is the same. Play with the boat speed. But Don't go faster than walking speed (the tube well engine we use just about idles). And play with the plugs. None are sure shot. but each plug works different water. Just make sure you let the plug out atleast 60mtrs. And keep a very loose drag. Stop the boat the minute you get a hit and don't start playing the fish till the boat comes to a stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the info Ken!

Most anglers around here dont know about lure fishing and I find baitfishing for carps quite boring, so most of my fishing is experimental/groundbreaking.

I think im the first person since the British Raj to have caught chilwas on a fly rod. I would take pics, but Id become the laughing stock of the PGFA.

Anyway about trolling, Ive done quite a bit of it but only with spoons and dead bait. In the smaller lakes a rowboat is good enough but on the bigger ones we fish from odd looking monstrosities which use a propeller attached to a generator as an engine.

Whats your take on soft plastics? Have you ever caught a mahseer on one? If so its time to raid my dads huge collection of Mr. Twister stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ali,

Never really given softs a chance. Though I have a few of them. The next trip is going to be just a softs one. Will let you know then.

Here's my take on them. I think they will work great when the mahseer are chasing chilwa, the boil that is. But till now I have never been ready with one. Curse myself every time.

Try them and give me your feedback, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:18 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Ali,

Long time no hear. Where have you been? Where are u planning to go? Did u visit that secrect place of yours?

We are planning to go to Tarbella once again before the water level starts dropping.

Mahaseerken. Great going and lovely pic of the Masheer. How big were the Red fins?????????