->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

I have never fished the Cauvery although I certainly hope to do so. I am not an accomplished angler either but i do enjoy fishing.
I have read and heard much about the Cauvery fishing camps run by Jungle Lodges at Bheemeshwari and Galibore.
Unfortunately, I have also read that more often than not, the Bheemeshwari camp is often full of non-anglers with families using it as just another holiday resort.
The description, if I remember right, was '... kids running all over the place, a game of cricket being played by the riverside, noisy mealtimes and nobody interested in fishing !'
To plan a "quiet and restful fishing vacation" and land up in such a situation could be quite disheartening, to say the least.
I would appreciate some advice from the regulars on this forum as to what the ground reality is at Bheemeshwari ... and the right time to visit the place.
Professional angling is not on my agenda nor am I seeking the record-breaking mahseer. All I ask for is a few days of peace and quiet with some birding and fishing thrown in ... is that asking too much from Bheemeshwari ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:48 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Hawkeye,

I fished at both Galibore, and Bheemeshwari in Nov. 2006.

The Bheemeshwari camp, has a lot more traffice. This is mainly because there is full electricity, with air conditioning at Bheemeshwari.
Bheemeshwari also has cottages, in addition to tented accomodation.
The food was also better at the Bheemeshwari camp.

However I loved the stay at Galibore, because you feel like you are staying in a jungle. And there is less of the non-fishing crowd :D

Galibore however fishes well from Jan - March when the water is lower.

The Cauvery regulars will be able to give you more details.

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks like the "cauvery regulars" dont wish to divulge any details on this topic :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

The day Jungle Lodges stops the dynamiting of the river in their protected stretch we will reccomend them. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Dynamite! Just for that I think you should never recommend them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Dynamiting : [smilie=holyshit.gif] :shock: :shock:

I thought they are Protecting their strech well.... :?

If this is the fact ......then this should be made Public & make sure that no serious Anglers should go to that camp..till they stop doing that, [smilie=hate.gif] [smilie=hate.gif]

Bops ...is there any thing that we can do to stop them from doing that,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

When we were camping just above monkey pool last Sat and Sunday we saw groups of poachers throwing dynamite into the river from the opposite bank. We heard the blasts and soon there were dead fish floating in the pool in front of our tent. I shouted out to the poachers hoping that would scare them away but to no avail.

They just moved downstream and we continued to hear blasts close to the Bhimeshwari camp.

When we reported it to the JLR staff the next day they said what can we do saar? We can't be everywhere at the same time.

Frankly this is not on.....unless JLR can protect that stretch I don't think they should have the lease on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:47 pm 
Fishaholic

What we really need to make a strong case is photographic evidence. Since most of us carry cameras it should be easy to get some.

We also need to get some journalists involved in this. which brings me to the question 'Dp we have any press people as members of IA'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:06 pm 
Fishaholic

MK i think shooting videos shall do better...

after some hard hitting evidence...we can move to court even

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:12 am 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
I shouted out to the poachers hoping that would scare them away but to no avail. .

Bops carry ur .22 next time.. u know where to aim..

Jokes apart... i hv seen it.. feels sad....

I had a talk with the resort owner at kundalika last time.. i'll do it all the time till he acts on it.. since he is at the location most of he time & with business interest, he can make big difference..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:07 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Sandeep c, u havent looked into these posts. What says u? Take the matter up with WASI. I have reported the same earlier, but this is evidence that someothers have also seen this happening. After Sunder been shifted out the matter will become worse. The dynamiting will go beyond M`shalla. We wont have any fish in this stretch any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:33 am 

JLR being a part of Karnataka gov,there is a strong case for bringing it to the notice of the powers that be in B'lore by IA in case the locals are turning a blind eye.
Encouraging eco tourism and conservation would get a sympathetic & patient hearing.
Else a good case for a writ,provided there is evidence to back it up.
Best
Sanjay

Post subject: Photographic evidence
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi
i am game for photographing such an intrusion, have long lenses too
if I dont get fish, I can get the pics, thats for sure
been in the media for over 25 yrs now, willing to shove something up those dynamiters.
cheers

Lenny
www.gnnglobal.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

I am extremely surprised and shocked at the response.
I always thought that Jungle Lodges were commited to protecting the environment. Dynamiting under their very noses in their so called protected stretch ... shockingly unbelievable.
No wonder they are happy catering to a non-angling crowd at their "resort". Seems that angling has take a back seat here :evil:

The sad story of our so called ecotourism - once a place gets popular, the environment is no longer priority and the very purpose of existence of the place is lost. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hawkeye we have gone blue in the face discussing JLR, so if you don't too many replies don't get pissed off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:27 pm 
Fishaholic

We shouldn't let them off the hook that easily :evil:

after all they charge a fortune from all the tourists that come over there,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:06 pm 
Fishaholic

OMO /ops , I can put you guys in touch with some Journo's in Blore ... you guys game for it .. gimme a name and number and ill get the guys to call you ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:43 am 
Fishaholic

This is too darn upsetting. Those lazy buggers throwing dynamite should have some shoved up their........

Guys I feel helpless, lets try & do something before they destroy the environment any further. I'm sure that some of the lodge buggers & some big wigs are also hand in glove.

I know that I am not in India, but if there is anything that can be done, or any way that i can contribute do let me know.

Dear Boozards :lol: A bottle each of JW (I will decide the colour based on your performance) if you guys can go & camp outside the lodge & get them to do something about their stretch of water. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddie
I am one of those breed, and you have my no , so does Bops.
Give me a call some time you old timer :D :lol: Given you haajar missed calls, never seemed to get a call back.
Some of the Bangers need to get together and chalk out a plan in this regard.
I can ensure a news item in the local papers, about us as well as the JLR thingee

cheers
Lenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Hold your horses. I will take this up with Jungle Lodges and the Forest dept. soon and report on this forum.

Meanwhile:
- Can we collect photographic / video / other evidence about poaching without making it public.
- Can every angler who has fished on the JLR stretch of the river record any non environment friendly / non conservation activity with the MD of JLR.
- Can the members of the Press do some research??

United in conservation.

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Sandeep
you were present at the conservation meet we had in April
no mention was made about the dynamiting, and the JLR chap was there too
any info from his side regarding this, I believe your in touch with him.
kindly enlighten us on this please.
We can go about it in a more organised manner, planning etc.

cheers
Lenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Lenny,

Yes, I am in touch with Sundar, the Manager of the Bheemeshwari Camp and when we last met he told me that he had deployed his men for anti poaching duty. I cannot comment on the extent of coverage or the effectiveness of the action initiated.

If anglers on this forum, who are fishing on the Cauvery, report violations to either the MD of JLR,if they are guests of JLR or to WASI if they are angling with a WASI permit, then pressure can be brought on not just JLR but the forest dept. as well.

I did send a written complaint to WASI when my wife and I heard blasts while camping at Monkey Pool in November 2006.

I would request other anglers to do the same. If we are silent then nothing will happen and the poachers will get bolder by the day.

Evidence should also be collected to strengthen our case for more effective survellance on the river.

Regards,

Sandeep