->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

It all started with Vedan landing up in Bangalore on a family trip. After much discussion on angling and other interesting topics it finally came to "Hey, Tuesday is May day, let's go fishing". To add to it Alexis younger brother Marcus was in town for his summer holidays....more the merrier!

Bookings were made at the WASI office on Monday and we were all set!

We left Bangalore at 3:45 am and made our way to Shivasamudram and got there at daybreak. The road from Bangalore to Shivasamudram via Kanakapura was very bad.

We started off with spinning for mahseer and Vedan got lucky on his first cast! A mahseer took his lure in the canal and was duly landed.

The action continued with all of us catching small mahseer on lures.

Since the water level was pretty low, a couple of spinners were lost to the sandbags buried in the canal.

We moved on to Forbes Sagar for some murral action. As soon as we got there Vedan caught another mahseer on a plug at the point where the canal empties into the lake.

Leaving Alexis and Marcus to fish along the bank Vedan and I hopped into the coracle with Raju the WASI guide. It was a while before we started having some good action on spinners. Murral were taking the lure but hookups were bad because of all the weed in the lake.

I switched to using a home assembled spinner with a single hook. This seemed to work better and I landed a murral. Soon after, Vedan landed one as well.

After that it started getting too hot to fish and we headed back to the bank for some rest. Alexis and Marcus went out for a beat in the coracle and returned with two good murral.

We rested for a while, drove up to the shivasanudram falls to have a look and got back to Forbes for an afternoon session of Murral!

I used a rubber worm on the single hook to make it weedless and had great luck with Murral after that. From the picture below you can see how weedy the lake is!

In all the four of us caught 25 fish that day. 14 Murral and 11 Mahseer, a good day of fishing :lol:

Some more pics from the trip.

Cheers
Bopanna

Last edited by IndianAngler on Thu May 10, 2007 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:02 pm 
Enlightened

Hey Bops....

Good report...nice pics..!!! 8)
I thought you were going with Riaz and gang to Manchanbelle, last week...!!

Cant believe it is Vedan in the pic....!!! :shock:

| Cheers
| Sreekanth Soman
|
|
|
¿ < º)))))><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Photos Dude....Iam sure u must have had a hell of a time :D :D

How heavy was the Murrel in Pic 8 (kid is holding)...Looked like a huge catfish.. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

The one Marcus caught was a 2.5 kilo, I had one of the same size as well. Those two were the biggest murral of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops/ Alexis/ Vedan / Marcus,

Really nice pics. The size of the Murral were nice too.

Hey Vedan, when did you cut your Che's beard? You look totally different.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:10 am 
Fishaholic

Good job. Theirs nothing funner than lure fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops / Vedan,

you guys had good fun.. vedan man u look so different.. looks like u not only lost ur hair, but lot of weight too.. :lol: :lol:

Marcus, ... :shock: .. good show dude..

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:51 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Marcus! Well done young man, you caught the biggest Murrel and outdid the men.I am sure you are proud of yourself! Can see you have a good teacher in your older brother!Keep it up and you will soon be King of the Snakehead!! By the way do you go to St Georges at Ketti? Good school Marcus. Study hard mate.
All the best,
Kind regards,
Glenn.

Bops, excellent photographs especially the scenery with the bird and it's nest in the reeds. Is that a bottle bird?
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:07 am 

Hi Glenn,

Yep, Marcus studies in St. George's Ketti, he's just completed his 5th grade and home for the summer holidays.

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:17 pm 

Hi Glenn,
the bird is a Baya Weaver..

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject: hey guys
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

fantastic pics out there i am heading to blr by july look forward to have a gr8 time out there.
cheers!!!
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pix. Long day and a lot of fish. Just perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:23 pm 

Great report Bops,
Whats the rod you're using?
single hook+rubber lure-is it the carolina bait?
Yup, I lost a couple of biggish ones in Forbes, reeds were bad.There were a bunch of workmen clearing out reeds due 12 o clock from where the canal meets forbes,Putta had a problem getting th coracle over the reeds!

I swear I'm going to test Vedan for piscine (ab) normalities in his DNA-that guy is part fish, i'd swear.
He looks a lot lighter (and younger) without the winter padding and face warmer ;)
Congrats Marcus on some great fish, keep on doing it and all the best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Carolina or not i'm unsure, it was just a 3 inch motor oil color grub bought from . It has a thick body and a curly tail.

The rod is a rowen tackle 20-50gm Snakehead rod. It performed very well.

Once a strand of weed attaches to your exposed hook, the murral will not strike. It's very important to cover the hook bend with something, in my case it was the rubber worm. I will be making some weedless hooks using thin stainless steel wire.

Cheers
Bopanna

Last edited by IndianAngler on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done Bops / Alexis/Marcus / Vedan,
Seems like you guys had a very busy day on the water. Nice pictures.
Looks like Rowen tackle has lost it's viginity to a good cause manytimes over :lol:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

That's the same rod that landed a 35 lb mahseer three weeks ago in a thunderstorm :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pics,folks.

Nice haul...

That weaver bird was just building its nest in reeds when we had been to forbes sagar last...

Looks like Forbes Sagar is a good place for murrel spinning if you can tackle the weeds .

Jude

Post subject: ? carolina rig
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:40 pm 

Bops,
as above?

Sorry, leonardo I'm not! :cry:

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Alexis,
Thanks for the info on brother Marcus and also the weaver. Pretty thing!
By the way heard you were married recently, so please accept my belated congratulations and wish you a happy and prosperous wedded life with many strong sons and daughters,and scores of grandchildren to give you bliss and contentment over the years!! And don't forget to teach them to fish!
Bye for now,
Glenn

Post subject: Snakehead 20-50
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,
I thought I recognised the snakehead rod in the pic. I tell you what? mine works really really well and I have been catching some nice plump bream recently on some light line using a 3500 Diawa Samurai7i[spooled with 6lbmaxima] no1 hook and pea sinker on an in-coming tide. The rod gives me a quick reflex contact with the fish's mouth as against a softer rod [Jarvis walker black queen which has been around for 30 odd years and built expressly for bream fishing]which saw me missing a few of late and had sand kicked at me! Thought it was memory lapse on my part due to the old age, but then one is supposed to be more keen and ready now rather than in youth!!Anyway thanks to your rod and my new found enthusiasm I have grown in stature in the sight of my wife Jen and all the sniggering children!! Good feeling to be boss again!! I think the renewed catatact removed vision helps a great deal too!
Question. Am I using the right reel for the rod? Feels good.
When are you going to post some big Masheer next?Sorry to put you under the hammer!!
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Asif, your diagram is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops,

great pics......I'm really missing India right now. Fishing is down to almost nothing here in Dubai for the past 2 weeks. hopefully things chnge tomorrow when I go fishing for some cuddas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:15 pm 

Thanks Bops, thought I got it vaguely right! ;)

Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry for not being able to visit the forum for a couple of days was bisy with work.

Great going BOPs and CO. Good pics and a good write up as well.

And yes lure fishing is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
That's the same rod that landed a 35 lb mahseer three weeks ago in a thunderstorm :wink:

Kidding or what :lol:

Post subject: Re: Snakehead 20-50
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Hi Owen,
Question. Am I using the right reel for the rod? Feels good.
When are you going to post some big Masheer next?Sorry to put you under the hammer!!
Cheers,
Glenn

Hi Glenn
With the right reel mounted on the rod, the rod should balance perfectly on a finger in the center of the foregrip. This is the fulcrum point, and good balance will ensure low fatigue after hours of fishing.
The soft action of your old rod has its advantages with light line, but this rod is meant for use with heavier lines, in the range of 12 -20lbs, so watch that drag setting Glenn :wink:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Owen, i'm not kidding. It took me all of twenty five minutes but I landed a Tor Khudree of 35 lbs using that rod and 30lb fireline.

It would have been done sooner but due to the fast action of the rod I had to be careful to ensure that I didn't end up breaking it.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:53 am 
Fishaholic

Great skills Bops!
That rod was neither meant for 30lb line, or a 35lb Kudhree especially on fireline which has low stretch. Must have been quite an experience. :lol:

Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Admin

The whole situation was rather comical and scary. There I was fighting a large fish on a medium rod with a thunderstorm in progress! Lightning hitting the trees close to where we were and my fishing partner and I stuck in a coracle in the middle of the river and me holding onto a graphite rod!!!

Add pouring rain into the mix and a fish that was towing us up the river....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops, your description of the situation fits beautifully with the way your avatar is depicted on the left side ... just imagine the rod in place of the trident ... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Not hawkeye for nothing mate :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:07 pm 
Fishaholic

that must be an amazing experince bops...
congratulations...

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:04 am 
Fishaholic

Guys a carbon / graphite rod in your hand in a thunderstorm is just not adviseable. Bops was lucky, he could have been a Bopfry, and i am sure that it must have been quite scary at the time.
But then who the heck will miss out on a big fish just because the sky is rumbling:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

bops u using that daiwa ur selling? is that the rod in the picture?(blue rod)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

That's one of Owens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops 35 lber in a thunderstorm with a carbon graphite rod .... Man you got a whole packet of sweets between youre legs .... i would never try that and ive seen the thundershowers in Blore ... and OMO gave you a rod !!!!!!!...Hey OMO when you coming to Mumbai ....!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Came and went Fred. Was a flying visit, spent mostly at Vasai.
Sorry i did not get time to clock in with you.
Where have you been dude ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

A bit late in the day here for this but here goes an account of a good time on the banks of the Kaveri. Many thanks to Bops, Alexis and Marcus for everything.

I was in Bangalore, visiting family and managed to get through to Bops. Talked fish for a bit, met up with him and Alexis. Talked some more fish and of course, the itchy question was- Can we go fishing? They came up with the best ever answer- Yes. Where? Some very pleasant headscratching and fantasising later, we decide to hit Sivasamudram, one of the pilgrimages in my long list of 'Mahseer Darshan'. The 'Headworks' was something I'd only read about, the place stuck in my head for the 60lber Paul Boote caught from the canal on a plug. This place I just had to fish.
We set the time for a 4.30am departure from B'lore. At 4.25 am I get the sms- 'Come down'. I do and find Bops pacing outside with Alexis and Marcus and we drive off in Alexis' fully loaded Adventure. I see a landing net, tubes and a cool box in the back. I contribute a flask of tea (which leaked off...) and a bag of sandwiches fixed by Revati and her sis, their contribution in lieu of their presence.

4.32am and we're on the road, pelting through B'lore town. I decide on a photo essay and out comes the camera. Below is the blow by blow account of the tour. Bops and Alexis shot the pics when I wasn't shooting so my contribution can be called the plugged gaps...

5.06 am- we're still pelting through, there's some great tunes lulling Bops and Marcus to sleep. I'd been on the road for a while and no recent music so I enjoy the tunes and the drive. Alexis drives like Mika Hakkinen except that he knows when to slow down too. I can relax, which I do and ask inane questions about the water. "You'll see when we get there".

5.57- We're there and this is what the water looks like- fast canal, a little smaller than the Roorkee canal which I've fished since chilhood but with Kaveri springfed water. There are hints of structure and plenty of vegetation along the banks where the cement ends.
It all empties into a lake loaded with weed with an interesting flow pattern. I could spend so much happytime figuring out the fish plot...

6.05 am- "Hey, photo kheencho na, Indianangler ka!". Bops looking mighty, Marcus looking cold and Alexis, amused. We pick up a gillie, Bops having secured the permits in advance (the norm, as I find out). A bit of powwow and Raju, the gillie, recommends the Headworks. We go.

6.22 am- the Headworks. I see a very impressive sign put up by the WASI. Wish we had something like this up North.

6.23 to 6.47 am- we break out the tackle. I had none, but the brotherhood of anglers looks after it's own and both Bops and Alexis open up their tackle boxes to my eager hands. I take the first rod to come out of the tube, which is a beautiful, heavy, German catfish rod and a Shimano eggbeater loaded with 20, courtesy Alexis. Bops is rigging up and digging around his tackle pack. I notice both these chaps have pulled out lighter gear. Marcus goes- "Do I get the broken rod Alexis?".. "Ummm...."...
I turn to Bops for lures since 'Lexis and Marcus are rigging up. Bops drops his rigging to advise and offer up the entire contents. I settle for a rubberbait. Raju, the gillie goes-" Kuchh bhi lagao Sar, Hathi marne ka, bakri nahi!" I like that. All these guys must be used to big game mahseer shikaris and it shows.
Now I never expect to get lucky, especially on the first visit so I'm determined to just enjoy a great day on a famous piece of water. The fish were equally determined to garner all attention to themselves. First cast brings me a mahseer. It is handled very well by Raju, photo'd by all (except meself). For all intents, my pilgrimage is over- Mother Kaveri has given me Darshan and prasadam. I can get on with checking out what these old hands do.
I am thoroughly delighted at the fact that everything in these guys' tackle boxes is barbless. All three-hook plugs are converted to two-hook jobs to avoid damage to fish and there are no wire leaders. I have never seen anything like it outside of my own tackle. Yes, these guys are as sporting as any 'Phoriner', and would gain Respect from my boys, who are as snooty about sport as we all are.

7.10 am- we flog the bit near the canal staff quarters for a while. Nothing took so we moved to the gates. I bag another fish, same size as the first. It goes back without a photo since the cameras were a bit deep into the kit.

7.11 am- Alexis gets into a fish which is duly landed and picced.

7.14 am- Marcus also bags a fish. He's also an old sporting hand by now, at all of 12 years of age- he wets his hands before handling the fish too, and gets photo'd with remarkable poise.

7.15-9.00 am- Nothing stirs so we shift location to above the gates. Bops moves down while I take a hike along the embankment on the right bank. There's a 'mela' or something happening on the other bank, there's probably a religious shrine or something because all the people are cooking up, bathing and disappearing only to return, cook, eat and throw tons of food into the water just above the gates. The big fish are probably too gorged on the easy pickings to look at our fakes. Bops harasses them for a while while we watch the fish follow every lure before shying off near the bank.

9.00-10.12 am- I try my luck again, this time below the gates, same spot as the first fish but the opposite bank. Alexis and Marcus move down and I wait for Bops to catch up.
Marcus gets a mahseer. Bops hasn't reached us. I bum another lure from Alexis and catch another mahseer. It's bigger, Raju estimates 4.5-5kgs. Alexis runs up with the camera but the fish is too shy and leaps out of my hands into the canal. No problem. Bops has caught a mahseer (finally), above the gates. That's good.

10.13-10.38 am- we decide to move to the lake. Just where the canal empties into the lake, there's a shallow run on ths bank. In this run, we see some mullets (Rhinomugil corsula). These are weird fish, they swim with their eyes above the water and are known not to take any lures. A couple of casts disperses them and I get into another mahseer. It is brat-sized so does not get the honour of a camera capture. The brothers flog some more while the coracle is brought out. Alexis and Marcus pair off and very generously give Bops and I the honour of molesting the murrel, which we do.

11.40 am- Bops hooks and lands the first murrel after several hits.

11.44 am- Raju goes-"Cast madi sar- doddamurrel". I also hook and land a murrel.

The murrel's weedy haunt...
11.45 am-12.00 pm- Bops bags several more murrel, one of them in the 5lb class. It was crazy- we could see the spinner flashing back to us when this long streak raced out from very close to the coracle and slammed into it. I'm not so lucky but I do have the opportunity of watching a good angler at work. Bops is not just an angler, he's also a craftsman- he's using spinners which he makes himself and they're much lethal than what I'm using. He also knows murrel better than I do so it's no shame to lose out to knowledge. I learn, too. We return to the bank by 12.00.
In the meantime, Alexis and Marcus have been spinning for murrel from the bank. Marcus is the luckier one, with a murrel and a mahseer.

12.00 pm- 1.51 pm- Alexis and Marcus have a go in the coracle while I chat up the gillies and Bops catches forty winks. Pics in Bops' post.

By 1.45 pm the brothers are back and Marcus has caught an enormous murrel.

This one had swallowed the spinner. The permit allows 2 murrel of under 2.5 kg weight, so this one was marked for surgery in the kitchen, with an honourable discharge into the curry pan.

2.00pm- 5.00 pm- It Is Hot. We try various things to rest. There is no breeze.

Even the Pheasant-tailed Jacanas were sleeping, in spite of it being the breeding season. The Striated Bayas and the Grey Herons also took a break. The watchers' tent is too hot and too small to crash. I drift around, 'observing' fish 'movement'. Bops tries to crash with his favourite pillow which has made a trip from his lower back in the car to under his head. We give up and devour some of the food and move to the dhabas for some more. Then we run out of water. All 15 liters of it between the three of us- Raju went for the canal water which he was immune to.

We move to this town near the Bluff, score water and cold drinks. There's a bit of a breeze and we elect to have a last go at the murrel.

5.00pm-6.00pm- Alexis wants a rohu so Bops and I commandeer the coracle. Raju brings out ragi for Alexis and Marcus. We go wth the only other gillie who's not so great but may be so in time. Bops bags some more 'Dodda' murrel while I take pics.

6.00 pm- we bid adieu to the water in spite of the remaining fishing light since I'd promised Revati I'd be back by 8pm so she and her sis could go to the movies. The day's bag stood at 11 mahseer and 14 murrel, something to be thrilled about. We didn't get back by 8 so she couldn't go to the movies. I have been recently forgiven and can go fishing again.....

What I took away from the trip-
- That we need something like the WASI up North if we anglers are to stop moaning about declining fishing.
- That we need to be scruplously honest about dropping the fish back and make sure the gillies understand it.
- That there are so many species in the Kaveri system that there's room for all sorts of angling and anglers.
- Everything is not perfect down here- like we have meat collectors from Delhi turning up at prime mahseer spots and carting them away, there are their brothers from Mysore doing the same thing. These are 'loaded' people who can damage the gillies. I heard stories of them carting away 50lbers and spreading a lot of trash..... but I refuse to give up on Utopian dreams.... there's going be a time when we have enough fish.
- That we need to look at bodies of water where our meat collectors can have their fill without us sporting types getting pissed off. This means we have to get a WANI going as El Jefe put it some time ago.
This sprouts from the fact that you can actually take 2 murrel and nothing else for the pot at Forbes Sagar and everything other than mahseer at the other reserved areas like malvalli and Bheemeshwari.

A HUGE thanks, again, which words can't do justice to Bops, Alexis and Marcus for granting me an incomparable day on a beautiful piece of water. Also for opening up their tackle boxes and sharing their fishing with me. If ever you guys are up North....

Cheers

Vedan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Fishing Bops,

Must be great to land so many fishes in one day. One quastion - is the murral same fish what we call in north as Saur.

Congrats mate.

you know you are converting me to a catch and release type. Caught one mirgal yesterday and immidiatly released it.

keep the passion floating.

Regards,

Ali.. :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pics Vedan

Cheers,
Apoo

Vedan, you will receive a PM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Apoo.
Got it.
Cheers

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Vedan,

looks like you guys had a fantastic time. Great going.
Bops, you're one of a kind.....keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

guys where can i get spinners around here in bang?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 am 
Fishaholic

Nice report Vedan, it made very interesting reading.
Glad you liked the water and had plenty of rod bends.

Lots written about this spot in "Quest for a legendry fish" by he Transworld fishing team who took a masheer of 70 out of this water.
The Paul Boote story of the fish he took on lure in dimnishing evening light at the headworks, always spurs me on when i fish here.

Pity you guys were not allowed to fish the small lake on a day ticket. It is something very special with record rohu and grass carp, and the odd mahseer.

Maybe another time!
Regards
Owen

Last edited by Owen on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Vedan,Bops,Alexis,Marcus...

nice pics and nicer catches...

That Forbes Sagar is a place your cannot forget in a hurry !!!

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Aaron wrote:

Aaaron uncle ,where are you ??/

Spinners in bangalore ??? You must be dreaming.

We have to start making our own very soon ..

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys.
Mahseer water is mahseer water, no matter where you are, bent rods just keep the faith going...

Owen, I didn't know about the 70. We did see the small lake on our way out- including a croc as it slithered off!

Bops says they were introduced there to keep poachers away.
Dang right, we'll do it another time, and in cooler weather for sure.

Cheers

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Vedan!
Rumor has it that there could still be a very big one in Forbes.
I have heard stories about it from Raju, and how poachers have tried throwing dynamite at it without sucess.

But on the other hand it could just be folk lore.

Get yourself a copy of "Quest for a Legendry Fish". It was printed in India.
Even better than "Somewhere down the crazy river" if that is possible.
The 77 was taken by Sundar who was their guide. This on a hand reel (probably made of wood, and a short stick).

Sundar lived with his family at Shivasamundram in those days, and later became the camp manager of the Galibori and Bheemeshwari fishing camps, was the guide to the Trans World Fishing team, that spent more than 6 months on the stretch between Shivasamundram & Ontigundu which is close to Mekadatu (the gorge section).
This was in the 70's.
Two fish in the 80's & 90's were also taken at and above Galibori camp by the TWFT besides many more during the trip.
Exciting reading!

Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen

Have started sniffing out 'Quest...'.
I already have 'Somewhere down...'

Raju mentioned Mysorewallahs landing up, groundbaiting massively on weekdays and make a killing one fine day and carting everything away in cars.

Ok. Coorg- done. Forbes Sagar- done. Next shot- Bheemeshwari area. Lets see what happens. This will be the same sort of a trip as the first two i.e. a good, long, hard dekko with whatever that hooks itself, focus- catfish. I'm absolutely dying to bag a silund and a good mulley. Mahseer? I mean, who am I to expect a big fish already? Gotta pay the dues, as you rightly say.

Cheers and regards,

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Aaron wrote:

hey champ,

when you turn 18, you can get your credit card & buy them off the net. :lol: