->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Monsoon timing?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:59 am 

I tried to post this a few minutes ago but it wasn't recorded, perhaps I pressed the wrong button!

Anyway, seems I have someone to lease my house, so I should be flying out to Delhi in around 4 weeks.

I'm visiting a friend in Chandigarh en route to the mountains; I should arrive in the Manali area around the first or second week of June.

I'm packing a fly rod (as well as a spinning rod), I'm hoping to spend some time after Brown Trout in the Himalayan rivers.

I have 2 questions:

1/ Will the monsoon have rendered the rivers unfishable by the time I arrive? If not, will it do so in the weeks ahead?

2/ I'm planning to bring a box of assorted nymphs size 6-14, and various lures e.g. muddlers, cats whiskers etc etc. Can anyone recomend any successful patterns I should add to this list?

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:13 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ricco,

1. Your fishing will be dependent purely on the rains, or rather, the lack of 'em.
The Beas in Manali will have serious meltwater so you can kiss the fishing in it goodbye. If it hasn't been raining much, you should look at the side streams near Kulu (the Phojal and Chakki tops for browns) and Katrain (the Haripur stream between Naggar and Manali, left bank).

2. See if you can lay your hands on some Alexandra and Coachman streamer versions. Also, all large flies in gold, red, or combinations. Flesh flies good early mornings and evenings, smaller nymphs and heavily ginked march brown dries also good. Make sure you have plenty of fly floatant if you're a dry fly practitioner as all these streams are extremely vigorous freestone type. Flyspoons superb, esp. when you're sick of being a purist.....

Cheers
Vedan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

How about going to Uttaranchal or Himachal during Mid July? Will it rain too much? I am planning to go out of Guwahati at that time but a little bit confused whether I would be able to fish at that time. And I dont want to go to a very hot and humid location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

It'll probably be too wet, but giver the unpredictability of the climate, we just might be totally dry.
If you want to go to a guaranteed cool , dry place try Ladakh- it's in the rain shadow and you have this strange cousin of the snow trout- the Diptychus maculatus.

Cheers,

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks to global warming you just might be able to fish the entire monsoon. Problem is that it just might be the last fishing season ever.

Damn come to think of it every season could be the last one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Not likely this time, Mken.
The scientists predict a 90% rainfall for our parts this year.
Better make the most of the October sessions- who knows what'll happen next year.
Keep the noose ready though, in case the whitecoats mucked up, we'll lynch 'em

v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Vedan / M Ken,

I might have to get more information from you regarding north

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Anytime, Apoo.

Cheers

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:34 pm 
Fishaholic

vedan,

What i have seen is that if the whitecoats say it will be bright and sunny then you should carry a raincoat.

I've got my fingers crossed. The past two monsoons have been ok up north and that has had a good effect on Bhakra. The water levels have been high and a lot of small mahseer (2 to 6lbs) have been caught. You can also see a lot more chilwa and other stuff in the lake.

Also my little lake Damdama needs a good bit of water or it will go just like surajkund and badkal did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:10 pm 

OK well I've arrived in Kullu. The weather has been kind; little or no monsoon rains, the rivers are low and clear.

I'm having some difficulties with logistics though, would really appreciate some help!

The Beas itself, while big and fast, looks fishable, not too coloured. Does it hold a stock of Trout?

Otherwise, how do I get to the rivers around here that may give me more of a chance; can anyone recomend a specific stretch?

And finally, where do I get permits to fish?

Any help most appreciated; I've 3 rods burning a hole in my rucksack here!!

I'll post my result, once I've actually wetted a line.

Cheers
Ric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

There are a few other places.

Larji, Aut and the stream in sundar nala are good. for permits try the fisheries dept at manali or the main office at kullu/bhuntar.

hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:38 pm 
Fishaholic

hi ricco,

I went to himachal last year for trout fishing and fished the tirthan river near gushaini without much luck. it seems there was a huge flood in the himachal rivers 2-3 years ago and all the trout were washed away including some of the hatcheries. for the permits try the himachal tourism website. hope you have better luck than me.

regards,

aamir.

Post subject: try out these spots
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:18 pm 
Fishaholic

hey man,
try out the Beas streach near to apple valley resort on aut kullu highway. or when u cross the second bridge on the way to himalayan trout house D tirthan valley the strech towards this bank is the best beats for brown trout but be a little carefull for wooden snags which are plenty in this area.
use the black fury spinners / size 2 or 1 spinners in golden / cooper can try dressed one's also.
Another good sureshot spot is near to the curve before u enter the parbar tunnel (longest tunnel u come across) well before aut/kullu here the water is calm but has a stron undercurrent and the river broadens before the dam you also get some mahsheer & singhara (cat fish) here.
If u fish the tirthan valley u can get permits from the fisheries office out there which is a 20-30 mins walk from the trout house. its located right next to the back and offers a good beat 2. check the 2 pools above this area. i have caught loads of brown and rainbows out here.
good Luck
Mayur