->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I just got back from India, had some great fun fishing. I could not make the trips I had envisaged because of work and reasons I had made the trip. But did get and hour to 3 fishing when the time permitted. I fished within 3 minutes from my doorstep in Mumbai.

When I forwarded friends these pictures they asked me; where, they were surprised when I told them. People often ask me where should I go fishing, and I answer, wherever there is good reasonably clean water preferably with some structure/s or cover. They look at me funny, but it is the truth. A lot of people like things on a platter and do not want to take the time to work things out. Just a few minutes from my doorstep I have caught several species of fish and just on lure have taken Barramundi, Barracuda, different species of lutjanus (Mangrove Jack/Fingermark family), Giant Trevally and Bream and I am sure I have missed a couple. On bait you can add several more to that list.

Only on 2 of those days did I not catch anything, I could not understand why, only when changing a lure on the 3rd day did I realise I had no leader to my braid, I broke off the leader earlier as it had gone a bit too short and forgot to tie a fresh leader to the line. It made all the difference, I do not use clips and tie the lure directly to the leader as clips can change the lure action. I had taken my young nephew with me and was distracted looking our for him so I forgot to tie the leader...This only emphasises my point, the fish are there, you just have to get your basics right and find the right balance on the day and you will catch fish.

I also did go to a place close to Mumbai and witnessed the most incredible feeding I have ever seen in fresh water, they were all Mahseer and it was explosive. I did manage to get the lures right and caught a small one and lost a real beauty. But the boats came in and the feeding stopped, by the time it resumed it was no where as intense as it was in the morning and it was time to leave. I cannot disclose this location as I was taken there in confidence.

I encourage a anglers to explore and experiment if you want to catch fish. The fish are there, you just need to get the basics right and find the right combination. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:03 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Guys,
People often ask me where should I go fishing, and I answer, wherever there is good reasonably clean water preferably with some structure/s or cover. They look at me funny, but it is the truth. .

Very well said Bobby. Exactly the same advice I gave to one, when he asked about fishing locations. But the looks on his face was like I am hiding all the secret locations from him.. :D

Regards,
H.Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Venky,

I am glad someone concurs, this is especially true in Salt Water, in freshwater there are several other factors that can determine the fish population as freshwater bodies are a lot smaller and much more prone to human abuse.

Regards,

Bobby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:27 am 
Fishaholic

Here are some pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:44 am 
Fishaholic

Some More Pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am 
Fishaholic

Here's some freshwater action, check out the bait-fish that the Masheer were feeding on and the almost identical lure I had with me. Too bad I had left that lure in the car. I recalled it when i foul hooked the bait fish but I was too lazy to walk back to the car and search the lure in my kit. The carp were not caught by me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice variety of fish there, Bobby.

Do you catch anything in Hong Kong? Wonder what the angling scene is like there?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:08 pm 
Enlightened

Bobby wrote:
Some More Pics

It is impressive to see fishing images with lures, such images helps other anglers to chose lures, and also if they have such lures and failed to catch.
Thanx Bob for sharing such great images,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report Bobby. Thank you for sharing!

Some people just don't get it when you tell them that the fish are everywhere.
I just tell people to find submerged rocks/structure or estuary mouths with or without a jetty for that matter.

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Kingfish, Abdullah and Maruthu, there are a few pictures that I could not find may have deleted them by mistake when clearing my phone, yes, I do occasionally fish here in Hong Kong but it is not the same, I have a river flowing just behind my house but I have never wet a line in there, the water varies so much that sometimes it is just a little stream. I just cannot get myself to fish in it though I always say I should for the last 9 years. We have several Saltwater and freshwater fishing ponds about 15 - 20 minutes away from my place, I used to take the kids there when they were little to teach them angling, but again it is not my scene. As far as saltwater fishing goes I do that rarely, it just does not have that appeal, besides you first got to think where you can park your car, it just does not have it's Charm. The lakes here are quite nice and picturesque, none of them are natural water bodies, but this is the only place where I sort of feel like fishing in Hong Kong, though I have never caught anything here but Tilapia.

We get grouper, barracuda, Ox-eye herring, mullet, Mangrove Jack, red drum, bream, whiting, rabbitfish, GT, Sea Bass (common), Ladyfish, the odd Barramundi, Blue Threadfin, the odd Jewfish, Spanish mackerel. There is an offshore scene too but it is ridiculously expensive. Hong Kong is a well oiled machine, efficient and productive bit it lacks a heart and a soul. I just do not like to fish here. This time on my return from India I said I would go fishing here for for want of activity and exercise, but I left most of my kit back in India as I will be back there next month.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Thanks for the info on Hong Kong fishing .... doesn't sound very appealing, I must say.

I guess we are lucky that we can go back to India and have good fishing in diverse locations.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

It is not appealing to me, but it could be someone else's cup of tea. There are not many people who speak English here, so there is also a huge language barrier, most of the people here do not even make an attempt to help or try to understand what you ask them, it is not so much racist, they just do not want to make an effort to help they are a weird bunch. If you try to ask them some thing 90% will respond with a "NO" even before you ask, so you go "excuse me" and the most common response "NO". To give it a Star Trek analogy, it is like living on Vulcan without the Logic :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have caught Lady Fish, Barracuda, Mangrove Jack, GT, Barramundi, Redfish, Seabass here, but it just does not appeal.

Regards,

Bobby