->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Bheemashwari - Strange
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Was up at Bheemashwari for the weekend and landed a small Murrell which was probably a good thing considering no one catching anything. I was told there were no big ones there and the only thing that was happening was small bites from really small Masheer, size 4/0 or 3/0 did not yield anything.

A strange thing happened though, I was teaching a friend of mine how to use the spinning rod, considering the terrain I used a small plug so she would have not problem practicing with that (and I wouldn’t loose it too). Around 6 she yelled a Fish, I was like no way and then landed the fish into the landing net, I was quite surprised to see a Cat Fish, I thought it was a false hook and asked her to try again, the next cast yielded another cat fish and another and another all the time the cat fish were actually trying to bite into the lure and I had a few which has all the three hooks from the treble hooked on. I have never seen this or heard of this before, I asked the Gillis around and they had never heard of this too. Any insights on this???

The next day fishing in front of the tent I noticed a strange thing saw a group of Frog looking things floating around upon enquiry I was told they are called Frog Fish again a first one never heard of them before. They look exactly like a frog from the above but moved like a fish, apparently they always swim on the surface. Another angler actually landed one of them using a Fly. I don’t know what the actual name is, tried Google with the search word Frog Fish and no luck. Would like to know more on this one.

Other encounters included a Wild Boar trying to wake me up, a Deer and ahhh nearly hooked into a Croc while using a spinner ;)

A strange weekend.

Post subject: Frog fish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:47 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Derek,

The frog fish? Not a bunch of tadpoles? Mate I think the pundits should answer this one. Perhaps Bobby may know, but then he is a Salty!
I'd love a wild boar to wake me up! I don't think I would go to sleep for the rest of my life!!! And what did the deer do?? Showed you the peace sign? Incredible Derek! Sure you did not binge on the local hooch.?!!
Do tell us more. Hope the mermaid was safe?
Cheers Glenn Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Sometimes fish hit a particular lure like crazy, just like what Derek described, I have seen it happen and my brother who is a very good angler has experienced this a few times. He once told me a story about Sea Trout when he was fishing in New Orleans, loads of them, but would not touch anything until he shifted to a silver spoon and then he was catching one on almost every cast. I have had similar experiences but the colour of lure was not the catalyst, just the type (in the broad sense of the word) of lure. Some years ago there was a day in Lands End bandra where Ravas were smashing into anything, people caught 3 - 4 fish each.

“Tadpoles” was what initially came to my mind as well. If they are not tadpoles they could be freshwater puffer fish. I have noted both these fish being referred to “Frogfish” by locals in India.

Owen, might be able to share some light…

Cannot comment about the Wildboar, Deer etc mate perhaps you watched "Lion King" a few times too many :lol: :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Bheemeswari Strange
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Derek,

THe cat fish thing is not surprising if you were fishing in the evening in fading light. THe cat fish ( i persume they were the yellow ones with a black spot on the tail) normally feed agressievely in the evening and go for bugs, small frogs etc.
As for the fish with those eyes sticking out I have seen a lot of them in the Narmada they look exactly like mullets except for those eyes.They do go for flies as they they hit anything ( bugs that land on the water).

could be from the carp family?Iam sure somebody from the forum would come up with the name.

Jeen

Post subject: Re: Frog fish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Incredible Derek! Sure you did not binge on the local hooch.?!!
Do tell us more. Hope the mermaid was safe?
Cheers Glenn Todd

Hahaha hope I did, i wouldnt be scared then, but unfortunately no I didnt, had some whiskey though. It was incredible the deer was fine ran away as soon as I got and started looking around. There was no mermaid though in the water not sure if I fancy one around, catching a Masheer would probably do the same trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
“Tadpoles” was what initially came to my mind as well. If they are not tadpoles they could be freshwater puffer fish. I have noted both these fish being referred to “Frogfish” by locals in India.

Owen, might be able to share some light…

Cannot comment about the Wildboar, Deer etc mate perhaps you watched "Lion King" a few times too many :lol: :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats the first think I thought they were puffer fish but unfortunately I dont think it is as the Gilli told me people eat it, well then people eat fogo (puffer fish).

So Im still looking for an answer

Post subject: Re: Bheemeswari Strange
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Hi Derek,

( i persume they were the yellow ones with a black spot on the tail)

They werent the Yellow ones with the black spot but were Sliver Ones (they are called Banana Cat Fish or Butter Cat Fish by the locals)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:37 pm 

Derek,

I've seen what your talking about at the WASI Lakes... My younger bro thought they were baby crocs when he first saw them :D :D They are not tadpoles. They look more like mudskippers, move around in shoals with their eyes above water.

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

derek wrote:
I thought they were puffer fish but unfortunately I dont think it is as the Gilli told me people eat it, well then people eat fogo (puffer fish).

So Im still looking for an answer

Fugu is mostly salt water puffer. With the exception of the liver I understand, fresh water puffer-fish edible, not recommending that anyone consumes it though, anyway here are a couple of freshwater pufferfish pictures,

alexisgreenwood wrote:
Derek,

They look more like mudskippers, move around in shoals with their eyes above water.

Cheers,
Alexis

What Alexis says is more likely what you saw a fresh water goby.

Mud skipper

Freshwater goby, note there are several species of Goby this is only one of them:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

derek wrote:

The next day fishing in front of the tent I noticed a strange thing saw a group of Frog looking things floating around upon enquiry I was told they are called Frog Fish again a first one never heard of them before. They look exactly like a frog from the above but moved like a fish, apparently they always swim on the surface. Another angler actually landed one of them using a Fly. I don’t know what the actual name is, tried Google with the search word Frog Fish and no luck. Would like to know more on this one.

Hi Derek,

I think the fish you're reffering to is the freshwater mullet. They swim on the surface and their eyes are visible jutting out of the water. I have some info on them, but in Bangalore. I know of them being taken on fly on the Cauvery or floating bread with a small hook in it. They swim along the surface in shoals from about 4 to 5 fish to huge shoals seen often at Forbes'. The last time I fished Forbes' the Mahseer were whacking them as they made their way up the canal. Fascinating to watch.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
derek wrote:

Hi Derek,

I think the fish you're reffering to is the freshwater mullet. They swim on the surface and their eyes are visible jutting out of the water. I have some info on them, but in Bangalore. I know of them being taken on fly on the Cauvery or floating bread with a small hook in it. They swim along the surface in shoals from about 4 to 5 fish to huge shoals seen often at Forbes'. The last time I fished Forbes' the Mahseer were whacking them as they made their way up the canal. Fascinating to watch.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Yep, I think they were mullet. We saw many at WASI lake. they were there in group of 4-5. First we thought they are baby crocs but when i showed them to Putta he said they are a fish called Mullet.

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Saw them too, when I was there... We saw them at the crack of dawn and I got excited thinking the eyes belonged to the famous WASI croc...
Bloody disappointing :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:

Hi Derek,

I think the fish you're reffering to is the freshwater mullet.

I saw the pictures of the Freshwater mullet I dont think thats the one, they look like the Mud skipper pictures posted by Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

While searching for some information I came across this interesting link, I thought this might be useful

http://fish.mongabay.com/data/India.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

I know what they are ...................................they are Fish ,,, they swim dont they ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Interesting link Freddy..

Post subject: frog fish
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Derek,
Having gone thru the list of fish you posted [and I honestly did not know there are so many types of fish in India's waters] I say they were mud skips or blind catfish---- the type we caught in the Cooum[sp?] river in Madras whenwe were young adults. I believe we called them 'kelthies'!
Quite an incredible list of fish though and full marks to the dedicated guy/ guys/ladies who put it together.Sorry, still can't help mate.
On puffer fish please don't eat as you will be playing russian roulette with your life.Surprisingly, there have been quiet a few deaths in Australia, mainly migrants who have caught the larger species and forgot to take the liver [ or is it the gall bladder? ]out!!! They must have been very hungry to eat one of them! I believe in China they are a delicacy! It must be the dare in eating that adds to the flavour!!
Trust you find your answer soon Derek bhai as you seem to have created a lot of feverish excitement with your post
Cheers mate,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hiya Glenn

Just a bit about the puffer fish. It's a delicacy in Japan where it is called Fugu. You are right about the eating it for the dare factor. But in my mind it is nuts.

Post subject: puffer fish
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the info re the Japanese eating the puffer rather than the chinese. I stand to be corrected and thanks again kind Sir!
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject: Re: puffer fish
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:34 am 
Fishaholic

I heard a story from a house keeper in Gorai (those of you who are fimilar with this beach in Bombay).

Apparently a Honneymooning couple who were fishing (Wonder Why?) caught a couple of puffers took them in cleaned them and fried the buggers. What saved them was the caretaker taking a look to see what was cooking (into the pan :badgrin: ) and got them to throw the fish out.

The poison Tetrodoxin (same used in Botox) is what is in the puffer and in Lethal proportions, I believe that it is present in lethal amounts in the Skin of the Saltwater puffer as well, it is heat stable so cooking does not affect Tetrodoxin. Now it is also present in the flesh of the puffer in limited quantities and that is why you get a “High” after you consume Fugu. Talk about drug abuse.

I have posted this earlier..

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5089 ... 71aae3.jpg

Post subject: Re: frog fish
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Hi Derek,
Having gone thru the list of fish you posted [and I honestly did not know there are so many types of fish in India's waters] On puffer fish please don't eat as you will be playing russian roulette with your life.
Cheers mate,
Glenn

Glenn if you are interested in a better list in the sense of the world then it is here you can get is, this is an awesome database and pratically you can search anything that swims. This is just not awesome but its ultimate http://www.fishbase.org/search.php.

29800 Species, 223700 Common names, 43900 Pictures,
39400 References

In regard to Fugu I think its a Japanese Delicacy, the Fugu chefs undergo a special training on cooking the fish they have to display their certificate before they serve you. I think I will try it one day it cost more than $500 per plate, so I think I will use the money to buy some fishing equipment for now atleast. But will try it one day.

Post subject: Re: frog fish
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:15 pm 
Fishaholic

derek wrote:
In regard to Fugu I think its a Japanese Delicacy, the Fugu chefs undergo a special training on cooking the fish they have to display their certificate before they serve you. I think I will try it one day it cost more than $500 per plate, so I think I will use the money to buy some fishing equipment for now atleast. But will try it one day.

You are correct about the certificate mate. Good luck with your gastronomic adventures mate, I think I will pass on the Fugu Japanese Delicacy or not. I stick with my salmon sashimi and the occasional Toro

Last edited by Bobby on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:13 pm 
Fishaholic

And I'll stick to Ravas gassi and manduli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Right On Bob and Mken