->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys. a while ago I said i'd do a report of the fishing over here in south France. Well we've been out on the River Tarn, Garonne and Aveyron for a few session and now is the time for the report.

A bit of background to help you guys understand the fishing a little better...

Here in South France the climate is pretty good. Winters can be quite cold, with snow falling but the summers are long and hot, with rain falling sporadically at this time, and when it does it usually from a travelling thunder storm.

The rivers here vary a lot, from small streams to the bigger pieces of water like The Tarn and Garonne rivers. Both of these, where I fish, are considerable bits of water, ranging between 60 and 150 metres wide. The Tarn has been more tamed than the Garonne and, hence is slower flowing. On the Tarn large barrages can be found every few kilometres, and between these the water is fairly slow flowing, whereas on The Garonne only a couple of barrages are in place so overall the river is wider, shallower and faster flowing and consequentially harder to fish.

These rivers and most of the lakes around here are full of fish of all sorts of species, ranging from wels catfish, which have been caught to 100kg, Black bass, pike and zander, Oh and of course the carp which are numerous and can also reach very good sizes.
The catfish aren't actually native to the area but were introduced back in the 70's in an bid to control other alien species such as american bullheadsand sun perch. Today there is a very healthy population of catfish in the river and they have become one of the most targeted species.

My main goal while i'm here is to master catching the catfish with lures. Last year when I first started fishing I was yet to catch a wels catfish but now the tally is creeping up and I'm slowly starting to understand their habits. It's definately not an easy task to catch one of these fish on the lure, but the effort is definately worth it. My first fish took considerable effort to find but turned out to be around 120lb so was not only my biggest lure caught fish, but also my largest freshwater fish to date.

Since that fish I hadn't fished again due to the winter and also because of the closed season for lures which runs up to that start of May. So with this lack of fishing I decided to start the season by fishing hard, with the best bit being Markus would come down by train from Austria, and join me for ten days. Jochen was also due to arrive from Germany a few days after we started fishing so the trip looked like it would be a good one!

A bit on tackle....

To lure fish for the catfish we used 8000-18000 sized reels loaded with 80-110 lb braid. I can't see the point of fishing light when monster fish are about. I used a shimano catfish spinning rod which so far has done a pretty good job and Markus used a light popping rod. Both set-ups were perfect if a little heavy for the fish we caught. But as I mentioned there is no reason a very large fish can take the lure next cast. The top lures of the trip were rapala shad raps, spoons and a couple of rapala magnums. Soft plastics are also successful but we stuck mainly with the hard-bodies simply because they worked in the spots we chose to fish.

And when we weren't lure fishing we tried some livebaiting for the cats, which was highly successful.

During the time we also fished for the carp in a couple of different spots, with a total of four nights out by the river. For the carp we fished 4 rods with baits being a variety of tasty morsels; pellets, boilies, dog biscuits and maize. Before fishing we baited heavily with maize and dog biscuits and then baited more throughout the session.

So on to some photos.....

All the best, Scott

The Tarn

The Tarn

The Tarn

The Tarn

first catfish that i caught last year, first on the lure too...

casting lures for wels catfish

fighting a catfish from the float tube

Markus and the biggest catfish of the trip.

Jochen and his first catfish :)

cat for me

markus gets lucky again :)

River Tarn

Jochen fights a big cat on a very small rod...Only one outcome here!

Markus unhooks a cat caught on live bait

carp for Jochen

crazy fast action packed carp fishing

big carp for me :)

Breakline live baiting for catfish

Markus' first cat on live bait...caught while fireballing from the boat.

good one for me from the float tube

Markus and his second biggest

First carp fishing spot

biggest carp of the ten days

Crucian carp for Markus

Markus and his first carp. happy days :)

River Tarn

float tube lure fishing

float tubing cat fishing

sunset float tube view

Markus gets another :)

Markus and Florent (local catfish guru) with a cat from livebaiting with breaklines..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful catches Scott! Those are really big cat fishes. The place looks beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Scott,

Brilliant report and pictures ..... it was worth the wait !

I wonder if you have tried for the Indian Goonch ? or anyone else on the forum?

Would they take a lure, as well?

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Excellent report Scott! Thanks for sharing!

Those Cats must have been a lot of fun on lures.
Can't beat fish caught on lures, especially the ones with feet on land

I was hoping that you would've nailed some on your favourite storm shad lures :-)

Maruthu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pics, awesome location.
Thanks for sharing

fish4fun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:08 am 
Fishaholic

Super report Scott. Very good pictures. Top locations.got to do this some time. Was on Spain last year touring with the wife and missed out on an offer to fish for the cats.

Cheers

Jeen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The fishing has been good here but seems to have slowed now it's got hotter. I just got back from a 2 night session and things were much quieter than last time. This time however I didn't bait up like before so maybe that is the reason.

Marathu...All my storm shads are in India. Sure they would work though. The big fish I caught last year was on a shad very similar. But a little bigger at 7 inches.

Jeen..I think Spain is a good place to go if you want to land some big fish. I do know live baiting is banned there so most of the fishing is done using static baits of halibut pellets. I'm not sure how the lure fishing is there but I imagine it will be quite tough. Maybe soon I will have a small inflatable boa,t so if you fancy joining me please do; having the boat will open many fishing opportunities here. It is also a very pretty area her, and the fishing is quite intimate and personal compared to Spain. There is even a good chance to get cats here on the fly :) just give me a shout!

Kingfish....Goonch take lures for sure. Problem is there are so few individuals in most places you will need to be a very patient angler to get one on the lure. 100 years ago it would be a different story. I seem to remember Jim Corbett or someone similar complaining of one taking his spoon...

All the best, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:28 pm 
Enlightened

Superb!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:44 pm 
Fishaholic

After a very long time a very nice report with super images... Much thanks for sharing Scott. This sure is a treat!