->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: fishing spots in Pune
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:51 pm 

Hi folks
I've jus joined the forum recently. Does any one know of any good fishing spots in Pune?
Will appreciate if any one can shed some light.
thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

Guys This is not me !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

OK FishyFred, we believe you :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

hey Freddie ... theres a lot you can catch in Pune ... what u wanna catch ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:02 pm 

fish. what else ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:08 pm 

I mean, any kinda fish. as long as I catch something...some spots look really cool. but u cud sit there all day and not get a single bite...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin we now have two Freds on the forum. How you gonna handle that dude!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddie (Pune),

If you have contacts in the Army, you could try the Khadakwasla lake. A cousin in the Academy used to poach mulley, rohu on nightline, but some other officers used to bag mahseer trolling with a 2" spoon.
Also, Bhandardhara falls are good for bluefins on small spoons. If spoons don't work, try chana(gram/chickpea).
Also, Wai and the Mutha-Mula rivers have mahseer and some monor catfish.

Cheers,
Vedan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:10 pm 

Hey thanx for the tip Vedan.Will follow up on that.
And as for Owen's question about handling two Freds on the forum, u figured that one out pretty good: by putting 'Pune' next to my name.

ciao!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

Or we could call him FishyFred....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Whatever man ..

Post subject: fishing spots in pune
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:14 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddie,
Mate this is a tongue in cheek suggestion and who knows it may pay off ! Have you tried the Empress Gardens canal? just under the road bridge where the canal exits the gardens, Have caught some 'balm'[electric eels] in my time, back in 1958. Fixed line on a bamboo rod with peacock float and small hook baited with garden worm! Never failed and also succeeded in getting my backside tanned when I got home!. Another spot was the river at Golibar maidan. I caught a fair sized snakehead there on live mundook! Scared the hell out of my aunty when I took it home and slid it along the concrete floor! She almost dropped her newborn babe she was trying to put to sleep. If no luck at these spots Freddie, try the Salvation army pond out the front of their Church property at 23 Napier Rd. I caught a few large Gold fish on bent pin and worm using undercover handline and ran for my life when I hooked their turtle instead! The sad thing is my mum made me return the gold fish which I told her someone had given me!! So it was 'true confessions' at sunday school the following sunday!
Hope you get a few! By the way, I lived at Kirkee near Spicer college and also Ramtikree, Sholapur/Poona Rd not far from the rifle range. The last place of residence was 4 Napier Rd opposite the mosque which was not far from Bishops High school which I attended for a short time. Good old days!!
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:17 am 
Fishaholic

Good Stuff Glenn :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Last post to Freddie!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hello again Freddie,
That was 1948, NOT 1958! In 1958 I had but one year to finish my schooling. Sorry!
Regards,
Glenn

Post subject: Fishing spopts in Pune
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby, And while I have your attention can you tell me why two postings registered on this thread when I only submitted one? What did I do wrong?
Enjoyed your pics of the breakwall and the trevally. I have targetted all species of trevally but enjoyed catching the Golden Trevally[ie the one with the soft large mouth and tiny scales]. I have not come to grips with the use of lures yet although I have plenty of them. But having read your article I may put some more time into it. The best one I caught was 18 lbs GT ,caught off Harvey Bay jetty on a live whiting. It was a great experience which memory is still fresh in my mind.
You seem to have been blest with the location of your home being right on the water! What a great place to live!
Keep safe and happy fishing!
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Glenn,

I have almost completely given up live bait for lures, and can safely say that I have not used live bait for over 6 years now.

With lures catch and release is a lot more feasible, I have seen too many dead fish that have been released when caught with live bait perish because they have swallowed the hook and it has penetrated some vital organ inside. I take my kids fishing in an artificial pond where most other anglers fish with live bait and it has shown me this. A lot of fish released back die and they remain there, unlike in the wild where dead fish are eaten by scavengers very fast or carried along with the currents and anglers do not get to see them believe they are safe. When you fish with lures the fish is hooked in the mouth 99% of the time unless it is fowl hooked.

I live in Hong Kong now and fish only 2 – 3 times a year with one serious fishing trip so gone are those days. I had responded to Owens post under the thread “too many GTs’ teasing me” under the tackle and tactics topic, I said there that I did not have stills of that large GT, just found that I did and the only reason I do not want to post them is that the pictures were take 2 – 3 days after the fish had been caught and I would not want to display it like that.

I do not know why your post was duplicated, perhaps Bops may be able to advise..

Take up to lures mate, they are a lot friendlier to fish.

Have a good weekend

Bobby

Post subject: too many GTs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks again Bobby for your advice on lure fishing! I will certainly give it a concentrated effort in future. I only release undersize fish and eat all legal sizes!!! Nothing like a meal of fresh fried fish, pepper water and rice. I don't know of a single restaurant in Australia that serves masala fried fish, and coming from Putnam, my liking for all types of cooked fish[moli, any curry, dopha, etc] is still very much alive. So legal size fish dont go to waste!
Tell you a story about two guys and I that went lure fishing after flathead. I did not know they were catch and release boys. I had just caught a 31/2 pounder and put it in my keeper net and over the side into the water to keep alive[ and fresh] After several castes and change of lures and the boat running short of fuel[fortunately we were rowing distance from a marina] one of them latched onto a sizable flathead about six pounds. Out came the other guys camera and snaps were taken, and I pulled in my keeper net and loosened the draw string and leaned forward towards the guy to put the fish into the bag. To which he shook his head and said"This goes back into the water" So I said " mine is still alive, release mine and I'll keep yours" His was huge when compared to mine, or so it seemed at the time! and I had visions of him in the fry pan!! Not to be! so after that I went out with guys who "catch and Eat"!!! I believe the flathead is one of the best eating fish in the sea and if cooked right is succulent and tastey. You are absolutely right about fish being injured when a hook is swallowed, which happens often when bait fishing. By the way these guys were using 5inche deep divers. Colours were green and smoke grey. Cant remember the brand name right now.!!
Yes I read your postings on the other thread. very interesting and thanks for sharing.
These days I take my middle son and his children fishing and it is good to see their keen interest until it is time to go to Macdonalds!Actually I had another grand daughter on the 24th, 2 days ago. !! Life would'nt be the same without them!!
Catch you soon,
Regards and best wishes,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:02 pm 

hey glenn,
u aint pullin my leg are u? but funny how i'm meetin up with guys from good ole ,pune and now all over the world. jus the other day got a message from henry gonsalves also from pune. st vincents school. now in england. hope we can meet up when he's here on 19th next month.

pune's changed a lot now glen. so forget the canals, even the rivers are so dirty and polluted like sangam bridge, bund garden etc. so if u wanna even get a bite, u gotta go to the waters slightly away from the city. and these are the spots i meant when i posted my request on the forum. only the regulars who fish in pune now would know of these secluded, little known places.

since u mentioned baam (eel in marathi) what depth does one set the float for these? or is there no such specific depth?

regds

Post subject: fishing in Pune
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddie, seems like I know you really well already. No mate you are too far away to pull your leg!! But thanks for the update on Poona. I vaguely remember saint Vincents . It was at the busy end of town and an uncle, Geoff Roze studied there for a short period. If you go to the Salvation Army fisn pond look for my hand line because I left it there when the turtle got hooked up and ran away!!
Yes BAAM and not BALM ---- was thinking of Tiger Balm! Regarding the depth you have your hook under the float, well I would start with near the bottom, about 6 inches up. I used to fish the eddys close in [I could hardly think of fishing anywhere else could I ? with 6 foot of cat gut fixed at the end of a bamboo rod! ] I would chew channa and spit it into the eddy for berely. This was taught to me by a guy who cycled past and stopped when he saw me alongside the bridge. I remember he wore a fez with a tassle!! He would take my rod and re-do all the terminal tackle adjustments and fish away! Most times I had to grab it back off him because he would not give it back once he settled into some 'serious' fishing !
Cheers Freddie. Hope you find some spots soon and you are rewarded with some big ones!! By the way use light line for eels, say, no mre than 10 lbs. And if you are ever in Brisbane let me know and I will organise some fishing for us!
Good fortune be yours and stay safe,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Glenn,

Nice story mate. Yes I like flathead too, find the flesh slightly oily but that is not a deterant to the flavour at all, probably improves the texture :-)

I know of a couple of places just out of Bombay where you can catch flathead.

Dont get me wrong mate, I do not have a problem taking fish home for the table but I do return a lot of the fish I catch back especially if they are small.

Keep those stories comming..

Post subject: Flathead
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby, Thanks for the info on flathead--- Did not know you can catch them on your shores-----very interesting indeed. That should'nt surprise as we share the same waters more or less! My surprise comes from not seeing them in the fish markets when we left India 37 years ago. Over here we get 3 types although I find it hard to tell them apart unless we catch one of each and they are side by side in the net! They are The Dusky or mud, Bar-tailed andSand flathead. In Queensland there are 2 legal sizes. The fish must be no smaller than 30 cm and no larger than 70cm. They have concluded , and rightly so, the smaller ones have very little flesh on them and the larger ones are invariably egg bearing females. They seem to enter our many estuary systems in Sept /Oct to spawn and depart in Feb/march. But you do catch them all year round, in more numbers during the cited months. I have found to get the true flavour of Flathead is to put them in a frypan of HOT unsalted butter witin an hour of capture and fried to a crispy golden brown! This could be another man's poison naturally!!By the way, our Melbourne brothers and sisters enjoy Flathead to about 10inches that seem to jump on your hook each time your bait hits bottom and you catch them in Port Phillip Bay, most often two at a time. Moral of the story----you don't want to be Snapper fishing when flathead are around!!!!
Again, thank you for sharing your widespread experiences and knowledge as I am sure some of our forum members must be picking up a few tastey morsels here and expanding their salt water expertise--- if not to catch, then to eat!!
It's been nice chatting with you on this hot saturday afternoon Bobby. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Did you say you already know that !!??
Wish you the best,regards,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:23 pm 

howdy glenn,
U sure have some interesting stories about ur fishing days in Pune mate. my sons aged 12 and 10 were really laughing their heads off at the part where you scared your aunt with one of the fishes you took home. just their kind of stuff.
i live in aundh, quite close to spicer college. I will definitely chek out the Salvation army pond (if it still exists) and see if i can find your hand line that u left there :lol:. Thanx for the tip about the baam, will remember it when i hit the river next time
hope you get the big un on your next trip.
ciao, until next time

Post subject: Re: Flathead
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
It's been nice chatting with you on this hot saturday afternoon Bobby. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Did you say you already know that !!??
Wish you the best,regards,
Glenn

I have been accused of a lot of things in my lifetime, this is a first :lol: besides I am a real modest animal :wink:

Thanks Mate...

Post subject: fishing spots in pune
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:05 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddie , Glad to know your sons liked my story re my aunt and the snakehead. True story Boys! I was 9 at the time. Long time ago eh? I was 9 then and now have 7 grand children aged from a few days to 10years and he[the 10 year old and his younger sister] loves fishing which makes me happy.
Here is a nice joke for your boys.
A Lady in Arizona set out to see her husband in her four wheel drive .When she reached the Highway she saw this elderly Navajo Indian woman walking along the road and since it was going to be a long lonely drive to her husband's place she decided to offer her a lift. The Navajo lady hopped in and sat very quietly with her eyes wandering around the inside of the car until they settled on a neatly wrapped parcel on the seat beside her. On seeing what she was looking at the lady said "Box of chocolates for my husband" To which the Navajo woman replied "Good trade".
I'll take you up on that offer to check out the salvation army place and if they are still there please let me know. Thanks. And don't forget the handline!! I am glad this thread ended with a fishing spot in Pune !!
Good luck,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

FLUFFING KAKA !!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
TWO FREDDIES !!!!!!!! [smilie=holyshit.gif]

there goes the neighbourhood... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Anyways, on a formal note, WELCOME ABOARD FREDDIE from PUNE !!! If you are anything like your namesake, then things are gonna get mitey interesting :wink: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:04 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome Gavin.
Reading and looking at the pics of the stuff most of you guys have caught, and the mountains of knowledge u all seem to have abt fishing, I have a really loooong way to go before you can even compare me with Fredfish. He sure is a veteran at this game and certainly 'whales' ahead. And the neighbourhood will be safe. Don't u fret Gavin.
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Whats pune see our Bangy!

Post subject: How about Lonavala?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:40 pm 

Hi, is fishing permitted at Valvan Lake, Lonavala? What about the other lakes around there, has anyone tried'em out?