->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:34 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:26 pm 

Finally got a chance to go out for a long over due Holiday. It was a kind of trade off with my wife and kids that they get to enjoy Goa for 5 days and in return i get 3 days of fishing after on our way back in Konkan.
In Goa Mornings were spent on the beach,afternoons at resort relaxing/swimming and nights at curio shops and dining out. On the sixth day we checked out from Hotel in the morning and started heading North towards the konkan coast.The route is quite scenic and takes you through many fishing hamlets,beaches and rivers. We finally arrived some time late in the afternoon and checked into the Hotel.Afternoon was spent relaxing and evening i started hunting for some fresh bait. Managed to get some Sardines from the beach from local fisherman. Started bait fishing at night with rising tide and in 2 hrs of fishing hooked a 1 kg Red Snapper and a small Fish (which was released back in water). I got several hits but the fish managed to sneak in under the rocks and cut the line. By then it was midnight and i retired to my room to start early in the morning for a trolling session.Set out in the boat at 0730 AM and after trolling for about 30 min got a huge strike,the reel began to sing and the fish ran with about 50 m of my line . I tightened my drag a bit more and started to heave until i finally got her in the boat . I tried to put the lip gripper in her mouth without removing the lure to weigh but suddenly she jumped and one of the trebble hook (2/0) went piercing into my middle finger through and through.The other hook stuck in the fish mouth also broke with impact. So i had the Yo Zuri Hydro Lure stuck to my finger and blood all over the boat. The boat man turned around to return back to the jetty and maeanwhile gave a call to the local medico in the village. In the next 30 min i was in the dispensary ,the doctor gave me local anesthesia and removed the hook by cutting with a steel wire cutter. A roll of bandage, some pain killers,antibiotics and a TT inj in all of 40 min i was back in the boat to catch up with the the tide. We again began to troll and this time another strike and came about a 3 kg Snapper. Trolled for another 1 hr with no more strikes we decided to go further deep into the sea. Just before we started to turn around to head back i got another strike. It was like a powerful man holding my lure in his hand and pulling deep down into the sea. I let go some more line to ease the tension ,after about 15 min of slack and heave i started picking up my line, a large snapper appeared on the water surface . With about 20 m of line left to be retreived to land the big guy it made a final run and this time with all its force .My drag was too tight and it could not bear any tension and the line broke. I realised that trolling with a 20 pound mon was definetely not the right thing to do when i had a 50 pound braid lying unused in my bag(but was too lazy to spool it)It was almost 11 AM and the effect of anaesthetic was wearing off so we decided to head back to the jetty.
Aftenoon was spent with family and relaxing and also i spooled the 50 pound braid on my Daiwa Cross cast 6000. Night was utilised for bait fishing ,caught a 1 KG snapper . Just around 1130 PM got a strike and the rod bent ,tried to heave up but felt that the line was stuck. It appeard that the fish had gone under the rocks(mavy be a large grouper) I waited for another 30 min for the fish to come out but finally lost patience and broke the line.

Next day again started to troll in the boat around 7 AM. First 30 min and got a Barracuda hooked by its back,next 2 hrs and no strikes. Finally at around 1030 AM got a massive strike with the rod bending in the form a semi circle. I eased my drag to let the fish run and reduce the tension on the line. I let out about 50 m of line on a say 5-6 kg drag. In between i would pick up the line when the tension reduced . From the pulling force i guessed it to be a large grouper upwards of 7 kg. After 20 min of fight the fish a Red snapper finally surfaced and was taken into the boat. I had an intent to release this fish as they say that when you catch many you should atleast release a decent size fish back in the water. Un fortunately due to the prolonged fight the fish's gills were badly damaged and it was highly unlikely to survive so i was unable to release it back and headed back to jetty

Evenings were spent on the beach and local shops

Fishes Caught: Snapper 5 KG , Two Snappers 3 KG , Three 1 KG Snappers,one Barracuda ,one cat fish small and a 1.5 KG Bream

Equipment Used: Rods:Abu Garcia Tounament Spinning rod 9 feet,Dam onliner 10 Feet
Reels: Daiwa Cross cast 6000 and Okuma Trinity
Lines: 20 Pound Mono and 50 Pound braid
Lures: Various

Lessons learnt: Always carry a nose plier for de hooking. Be carefull when the lure is in the fish's mouth

Last but not the least i would thank Santosh Kolwankar for his help and tips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm 

Great report and pictures Nadeem.. Loved your brief and crispy narration. [smilie=superkewl.gif]

I think I love the Konkan coast for the sport and the action available there.
Should plan for a trip like this in near future when the weather is still pleasant. If you don't mind shall I ask you for location, tips and places to stay, when I plan one?

Hope your finger injury is cured, better now, atleast not painful any more. Take care.

Wish you many more such wonderful fun filled trips!!
-Pradeep

Last edited by pravenka on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:30 pm 

Isn't the pink sauce in the side dish, in your last picture, kokum solkadhi?
I have had it in Bangalore in a restaurant(Kudla) and is a wonderful dish.
-Pradeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:34 pm 

Dear Pravenka. Thanks . It is indeed Sol Kadi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:47 pm 
Fishaholic

good one Nadeem, nice pics. Keep on doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done Nadeem.
Thanks for sharing.

Ravi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:42 pm 

Thanks Omesh and Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice trip report Nadeem!! Be careful while handling the fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:11 am 
Fishaholic

Well done mate, Some good fishing there! just a shame about your finger! It's worth making sure you have some decent heavy duty wire clippers in your bag so if an accident does happen with a hook it can be clipped off the lure asap.

tight lines, All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 pm 

Awesome mate