->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:37 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 am 

Hey guys,

I haven't posted for a long time. I haven't really had any decent success over the past year and had quite a few failed trips..

So, let me share my first decent success with you guys.

I am from Hyderabad and got interested in fishing last year. We were just playing around at a dam with some line and earthworm and caught a fish..

I got hooked.. After getting some equipment, I started a series of failed trips to dams near Gulbarga (This where I was studying).

We caught some small fish with baiting but got no luck with spoons. Failed trips were to dams like mullamarri, saradgi and some other damns near gulbarga.

Also, had a failed trip to kotepally lake in Vikarabad which was the most disappointing since it is supposed to be a haven for monster mulleys and I had the equipment for it. The desire to catch fish never diminished though and I made trip after trip. The biggest issue was that I did not know any experienced anglers and made trips with buddies who were also beginners.

So, this trip was last sunday. We reached the spot at around 8:30. The night was spent playing volleyball at a farmhouse but the sleep deprivation could not hamper our spirits.

So, I started using local spoons that are so popular in Hyderabad which I sourced from an aquaintance of mine.

We started casting for a good one hour with out results. I was using fast retrieve and medium retrieved with no results. I moved to a new spot and decided to try very slow retrieve as I saw a fish splashing.

As I hit the water, I could see a stream on the top as if a fish was moving towards the spoon. I dont know if this was an illusion or it was really the fish.

I felt the tug and then a couple more. I took a deep breath and counted to 5 and set the hook.
Really excited, I started to reel the fish in and expecting the fish to take off and send the drag screaming, something that I have always dreamed of. But no, that did not happen. I was able to reel the fish in with out any fight and saw a small mulley at the end of the line.

I was really excited and took it to my friends. Atleast, we caught a fish in this trip and declared our trip as successful. I was happy but disappointed that I could not get a fight out of the fish.

I started casting again using very slow retrieve. I moved away from the boundary and moved to a quieter spot as I thought it may help my cause.

Again, I felt a couple of tugs, Excited and hopeful, I set the hook again and started reeling it in like previously. But, this time, the fish took off and sent the drag reeling.

My prayers were answered. It was the first time I had experienced such power of a fish. I started reeling the fish in and it took off again. I got my other friends to rush back to me to try to help me.

I reckon I fought it for 5-7 mins and it surfaced. A decent sized mulley it was and it was amazing to look at. It looked so ghostly. The eyes were so demonish. At this point, All I wanted to do was get this fish on the bank. I was fishing from a slightly higher spot and it was 10-15 feet below. After a few more minutes of fighting, I decided to risk and pull it up by the line.

It was not the most intelligent thing to do, but I feel I deserved that luck after so many failures. It was so exciting to look at and looked like a monster.

Now, looking back at the pics, it does not seem so huge at all! I dont have any sense of how much it might weigh. I felt it must be near to the 5kg dumbell we use at gym. Some of my friends said it may weigh more and some said it may weigh a lot less. But, the fact of the matter is that none of us are experienced to judge it. So, ill, let you guys give me a guesstimate.

More pics..Holding the same fish in various poses ;) Can you blame me!

Anyways, Glad to have that done and looking forward to some more successful trips in the future. Any Hyderabadi anglers out there, drop me a pm if you can accomodate me on your trips. Would love to co-ordinate with fellow Hyderabadis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:14 am 
Fishaholic

Glad to see your first catch.

Have many more tight lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:35 am 
Fishaholic

Really awesome oblivion, as the saying goes its better late than never! Your patience and persistence has paid off!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am 
Fishaholic

Very good catch buddy....

Don't forget failure is one kind of success in this game....

Keep up good catch....

Happy Fishing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 am 
Fishaholic

Hi oblivion,
You reminded me of my start in angling, believe me it was just like you. Gathering knowledge, patience and hardwork is the key to success in this sport. Your first catch is really awesome........keep sharing :D

many more Tight lines
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch guys keep em coming [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

That was a nice catch. Congrats.