[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Stream in the clouds - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:21 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

Post subject: Stream in the clouds
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

The last time I fished for trout was in year 2004 in the Munnar stream. Until then,It was an annual trip that I never missed. The lovely landscape, fantastic weather and the plentiful bird and wildlife was like a shot in the arm that charged one’s battery and kept you going for the rest of the year.
But later, these streams became more and more difficult to access due to red tapisim , change of Tata Tea management, coupled with the retirement of some of my friends who used to work in these estates.
Years went by with me making feeble attempts to get back there with my boys whom I wanted to share the experience . Eventually we got through a couple of months ago, after 8 years , thanks to some friends who helped us get there as company guests.
The earlier days used to be predominantly spin fishing with the trusted mepps and nothing else. This time around we had picked up some fly fishing and wanted to test our skills.

Most fish were between 6 to 8" except the the one with the small rapala in its mouth that Rahul caught which was 11"

Cheers,

Jeen

-------------------------------------------

Last edited by jeen on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:53 pm 
Fishaholic

You cheated :D

Most of those fish definitely didn't fall to fly !

Actually, both the fish and the location looked lovely and after all, it's only a bit of fun.

Hopefully, I will be off chasing trout tomorrow. It's not quite so picturesque where I'll be fishing but the trout are perhaps a little larger.

Oh, and I'll be "cheating" as well.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes Ken,

Cheated big time :D. Fly fishing is not as easy as we thought. Good luck on your trip.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Practice, practice practice !

There are some excellent casting tuition video's on YouTube which is how I learned to cast a fly.
Using a 2lb fluorocarbon tippet takes a little getting used to after sea fishing though.

I don't expect to get my fly rods out until next month when it warms up a bit here and my local big river (the Severn) drops a bit. Until then, I'll fish the little river with spinners. I'd love to fly fish that to but the whole section that I have access to is heavily wooded and there's no room for a back cast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful trouts and looks like a very peaceful place to fish jeen. which ones are these ? Brown trouts ? And the one with the silver lure actually reminded me of the mongolian taimen... :-D thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

damn lucky jeen.. lovely trout.. lovely location.. wish i knew someone at tatas .. so many fishy spots are under them..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Jean, Nice Trout!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice pictures... The first ones depict a trout that is most unlike a brown trout in our waters.

As an ex shikari, I would be interested in knowing what game birds and animals were in those areas, Jeen?

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen, Nice rainbows.
They hardly get any bigger in south Indian waters (these days).
The biggest in S.India (Kodaikanal) as much as I know is a 6.5 pounder caught by a friend of mine. But then imagine the fight such a fish would have given on a 6 lb line and #1 Mepps!!!!!

Munnar is a fantastic and special place. Leave away the fishing.......the stay at Munnar (especially at Sooriyanalli) is something that you will never forget.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 am 

Congratulations Jeen!
Great pics of the of the trout ! Love the underwater pics, one can see the fish in its element.
And when did it get to 4 degrees Centigrade in Munnar? You sure the reading is right?
BTW, Rainbow or brown trout there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:25 am 
Fishaholic

Congratulations Jeen...
Lovely snaps...

Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 am 
Fishaholic

Nice catch. Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:13 pm 
Fishaholic

King Fish- The place we fished was close to 6800 feet on the top of the western ghats. The Mammals include Sambar, Gaur ( indian bison) Barking deer,Elephants, Tiger, Leopard, Dhole ( Wild Dogs) and the famous Niligiri Thar to name a few. birds would be jungle fowl , spur fowl, great horn bills, pied horn bills, various birds of prey like Bonellis eagle, Serpant Eagle, Falcons, Hwks Great owls like, The great Indian Horned owl , Eagle owl etc... etc... Not into hunting any more .. more into conservartion.

Ravi.. The last big rain bow caught there was close to 8 Lb about 25 years ago by a first time fisherman.

Suraj: This was the second day at 6 am in the Raja Malai. The first day it was 2 degrees. There was ground frost every where the grass was covered in ice.

There are no Brown trouts in Munnar its all rainbow. There are both Brown and rainbow in Ooty.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Fishaholic

Awesome pictures! esp. pic number 12. very different and nice with the colours and reflection and the fly in the trouts mouth! real beautiful rainbow trout.... congratulations for a breakthrough to familiar waters after an 8 year gap! thanks for sharing!

[smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Just one life to live, and so many places to go fishing....

What a lovely place to go fishing and enjoy nature, thanks for sharing Jeen.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:17 am 
Fishaholic