->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:52 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing in Ooty
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi fellow anglers,

I would be heading to Ooty this weekend.
Can any one please let me know any fishing spots there.Or how to get the license if it is there.

best regards
fishergomian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

There are many fishing spots at Ooty.
You can even try for trout but check the places with the fisheries department for trout fishing since lot of these places are under the forest department and any sort of fishing is banned.
You have to get a fishing license from the fisheries department which is close to the main bus stand.
All the best.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ravi,

That's really great, thank you very much for the information.
I will surely give fishing a trial there then .

best regards
fishergomian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:58 am 

did u manage to fish thereabouts? they arent issuing trout fishing licences any more... there is one place around there with plenty of carp though.. in the outflow from pykara lake, towards ooty..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

I did buy the license for ooty and Pykara lake but I did not choose the right spot so no hook ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 pm 

dude... Take a bus to Thalakuntha from ooty market bus stop. Once you reach thalakuntha, inside the forest on the lake side you will find a bridge.... this is an excellent spot where I have been fishing from my child hood... and my favorite spot......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bala,

Thank you very much for the information.
But I am back to Bangalore now. For sure I will use this information in my next trip. Be ready, I might bug you to join me then ...:)

regards
fishergomian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,
Seeing an old thread, just to let all know that the fisheries dept will issue a trout licence, but with a clear chap that trout fishing can only be done from private lands and is not applicable to fishing from Forest Land.
Net result is that in such places catching a trout is 99% not possible, as these waters have been spoilt due to pesticide and fertilizer runoff, and only hardy fish survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 am 
Fishaholic

michaelaga wrote:
Hi,
Seeing an old thread, just to let all know that the fisheries dept will issue a trout licence, but with a clear chap that trout fishing can only be done from private lands and is not applicable to fishing from Forest Land.
Net result is that in such places catching a trout is 99% not possible, as these waters have been spoilt due to pesticide and fertilizer runoff, and only hardy fish survive.

Do you mean to say the only way to do any fishing there would be illegal and without being noticed?

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Omesh
You can buy fishing licences for carp fishing in many lakes, but trout fishing licences have a clear printed message "no trout fishing from forest lands", if you do so and are caught the forest department will take action despite having a licence from the fishery department. It happened to me before the message was on trout licences, so now I have given up trout fishing in the Nilgiris. Trout fishing from private lands will get you no trout, as these waters have been spoilt by fertilizer and pesticide runoff and there no streams bring in fresh water. the best areas for trout fishing is now in forest land; trout fishing is still going on by locals and those who have connections or are willing to take the risk.
Regards
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Michael,
I got that bit, but if one gets caught fishing from forest lands what kind of action would they take at the most? Plus if there is good trout and if one can get to the spots unnoticed then there can be good fishing.... sometimes I really wonder whats with these connections and if one life time is enough to go about getting most of them...... I mean I was a boarder there and we had to do like a 30km trek just to get a bottle of home made fesh water prawn pickle..... and we did it without being noticed by all kinds of boarding staff...... how hard can it be getting to a fishing spot and catching some trout being nunnoticed, however having said all this I begin to wonder what made you give up trout fishing there all together? was the punishment from the forest department severe? apologies for me asking but I never knew trout were in those waters and fishing for trout somewhere in the nilgiris and actually catching the trout there would be a dream coming alive....

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Omesh,
When we were caught by the Forest Ranger we had to go to Ooty to the forest office where we were threatened with jail and confication of our equiptment and vechile; and that all the forest staff would testify against us. Finally we had paid a fine of Rs 5000 each and got a receipt fot it and the case was closed. Still in the local papers and local TV channel were given this bit of news with our names.
There are only 4 tar roads leading to the main trout streams and dams and there are forest check posts there. There are now big boards in Engish and Tamil that trespassers will be prosecuted. One has to accomadate the forest guard or be prepared to take a long hike through the forest. Now there are reports of armed groups hiding in the forests near the dams and the foresters and police of both Tamil Nadu and Kerala are combing the forests. If you are caught be prepared to pay a heavy fine or spend time in the cooler. Now I am not prepared to fish from forest lands, and fishing for trout from private lands is a waste of time, hence my decision to stop trout fishing in the Nilgiris.
Regards
Michael

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:42 am 
Fishaholic

This are the major Rainbow Trout fishing waters in Nilgiris and all are under the controll of the Forest department.
Even Fisheries department are not issuing licience if at all required they ask us to get a premission letter from the Forest department which is highly impossible.

Avalanchi was the mother plant for Trout fishing (River) in Nilgiris from 1905 to 1950. In 1950 the Dam construction came in to the picture. Still now we have beautiful Rainbow all around this lakes up to 3 to 4kgs.

Mukurthi peak Dam
Parithi manthu DAM
Upper bhavani DAM
Avalanchi DAM
Lakkadi DAM
Emerlad dam DAM

As michaelaga said not only they will fine us also will cease our expensive Tackles too without any warning.

Vijay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

hmmmmm respect your decision Michaelaga, it does get embarassing to have you names come out in papers for the wrong reasons.... plus tackle and vehicle are 2 things I wouldn't ever want confescated. Thanks for the valuable information about where to find the best trout in the region and also for letting me know its highly impossible to fish there, coming to think of it I guess its a good thing cause rest assured those waters do have fish and people are not netting dynamiting and messing with them, however having said this and knowing sport fishing is catching up in India is there any way we can like maybe contact the forest department and propose licenses with bag limits like they have in some parts of North India?

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Omesh,
Netting and worms are used by locals, and by the lower level employees of the EB and forest departments. As you may remember Wellington has the Staff College for the defence services. Even they have been stopped from trout fishing. All what you have suggested has been tried but to no success. the forest dept, says that trout is not a native species and must be eliminated eben though there is a defunk hactchery of the fisheries deptartment.
Regards
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 am 
Fishaholic

hmmmmm interesting! the funniest thing happening in most parts, the government is indulging in many a malpractice! so if the locals and the lower level employees of the EB and forest departmentsare catching then where is the fish going? consumed or distributed, exported or sold? and if there is a hatchery and people are getting very touchy about the native and non-native bit of the species then why does the hatchery exist? This is a little weird.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Omesh,
Most of the illegial trout fishing is for home eating and some is sold in the interior villages. The hatchery was built by the British in around 1890, and now the fisheries department is prevented from running the hatchery as it is in forest land.
Regatds
Michael

Last edited by michaelaga on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Any sort of trout fishing is totally banned in Nilgiris (excepting from patta lands, but you do not catch anything here).
But trout is available at the ooty market at Rs.300/- per kg.
Useless freaking government laws. To hell with the fisheries, forest and the EB department.
These sons of good fathers create laws to suit their requirement for their own benefit.
Can you believe that trout from the hatchery was sent to Chennai and other places on a daily basis?!!!!!!!!!!This was almost a decade ago.
The sort of lovely time we had at upper bhavani, lakhati, devabetta etc..... a long time back.......no words to describe it. Just fantastic. Now you have to beg around the govt. GOOD people to fish and that too on the sly.
Sure enough Michael was wise enough to stop fishing for trout.
I would not want to fish trout at Ooty anymore.
WELCOME TO THE OOTY MARKET IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME TROUT.

Post subject: Trout
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

I was posted at Wellington, Coonoor at the Army Staff college from 1990 to 1991 . We used to head out most Sundays at 3am to Avalanche or Upper Bhavani for trout fishing. We invariably got lots of rainbows on Mepps Spinners. The area was packed with trout & entry was permitted only with Fishing licenses from the Forest Dept. The trout hatchery at Avalanche was a treat to see how these exotic fishes were bred & used to stock up these lakes. Sadly a decade ago all this has come to a halt. Poaching is rampant now as evident from the trouts available at the Coonoor & ootry fish market.
Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:16 am 
Fishaholic

Yes, My fren's father was into fishery development department who retired a decade ago from service. He use to tell me that now a days the people working in fisheries do not have much knowledge and maintiaining a good water environment and everything is commercialized.

Anyone tried fishing in Kodai lake for Carps, Cat fish. Heard lots of Carps available there.

Ezek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:53 pm 

Hi, Ooty has lots fishing spots. There are number of beautiful lakes such as Avalanche Lake, Ooty Lake and so on. The best time to visit Ooty to enjoy fishing in monsoon season. Fishing in Ooty’s crystal clear waters and small burble streams is a memorable experience.