[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
First Success At Surfcasting - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Had my first success with surf fishing after failing with inline spinners from the beach for a quite sometime now.Was wanting to learn the art of surf casting cause i live close the sea shore rather than travelling to the breakwaters which happens to be far away .Started fishing in the evening with cut pieces of small frozen goatfish as bait.As i had failed earlier i didn't expect to catch anything this time either.On my first cast i started to feel resistance on the line.Thought it got stuck somewhere in the sand.Kept reeling in slowly to prevent losing my precious weights that i had got from abroad.Then after two minutes or so i saw a fish beached up on the shore.Was pretty excited at that.Ran down to get my hands on the fish and asked the locals to take a snap .Soon after that i caught another catfish.But then as usual i had to lose something and this time it was the PVC rod holder which i lost in the waves as i was cleaning up to go back.The sea reminded me how intimidating it can be.

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Rjm. hope to see more of your catches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats buddy.
Wish future catches grow bigger.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks angler_ali for all the encouragement.Will try fresh sarines next time.I am using a paternoster rig without a leader.Is it possible to make a leader of my own out of wire?Just a thought.Thanks dr aamir , apoo and dmelloralf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:31 pm 

well done, good luck for your future catch.

Cheers,
Vijay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulation!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey thanks Vijay and Arish!Went fishing yesterday evening.First cast and i managed to land a good sized cat.Soon after a fishing boat came along and dropped nets parallel to the beach right in front of the area i was casting and started signalling me to move away.Then a couple of guys started swimming in that area.Moved further away from them to have a peaceful fishing experience.But unfortunately for me my line got stuck in one of the fishing nets losing my hook and sinker in the process.Got a bit frustrating.also saw broken pieces of tube-light lying on the beach.So walking barefoot into the surf for casting may not be a good idea anymore.

Uploaded with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats RJM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats RJM.

Like Ali said use a running rig/fish finder rig. Most importantly fish from one hour prior to sunrise and an hour thereafter. Use fresh sardines. cut half of the sardine and use it as bait. Believe me breams and snappers have big mouths and readily take large chunk of baits. I use 6/0 hooks for these large baits and the tail portion of the sardine as bait. I pass the hook through and get it back from the same side but make sure you tie the tail and the hook with a thread or bait elastic. By this I dont want you to mummify the fish else you will be catching egyptians :)
Also remember one thing its not about casting far but casting it in the right place. When you cast the place when you bait lands on water is NOT where the bait will land it will come back a few or several meters. So ideally speaking cast a few meters away from the zone where you want your bait to be placed. And yes avoid putting your rod in the rod holder for a while till you master and land a few fish this is because some fish are vary of foreign objects. So a strike in time makes your day. Big breams will often run with you bait and get hooked but make sure you strike to confirm the hookup. With your rod in hand you will be able to feel the slightest bite at the end of your line. There are fishes like silver grunters and sole you wont even feel the bite and they dont make a run like the breams. This is purely on the basis of my experience and should work for you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:43 pm 

angler_ali is right surf casting in open beaches is one of the best way to hook up big catches, here few catch i got lucky with ......

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey congrats,
The surf looks good. Keep fishing and you will catch big ones too.
Like Alibhai advised, look those rigs up.
Last november I was in Pondicherry (Pudducherry) but was able to fish only for an hour and caught one....... catfish.
But I am sure you should get some good stingrays or guitar fish (sandsharks) too.
All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:52 pm 
Enlightened

Wonderful, RJM and congrats. Very happy to see you have managed to catch fish from the shore.

I have caught only once from the shore and have lost many lures, broken a rod but nothing after that first catch.

But still I intend to persevere and taste success no matter what. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

@spoonangler Thanks dude!Your username reminds me to use that spoon in my tackle box!

@teritex Thanks for all that valuable information.will update my progress

@afi91 nice catches man!I remember the dentex fish you caught earlier.btw did you catch these beauties in the UAE?

@sanju_freeworld Thanks!Hope you enjoyed pondicherry!:D Yeah i need to prove there are big ones down there!

@Rajeshnamb Hey...spot on.Angling has taught me a lot of patience and that success is inevitable if you keep trying!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 pm 

yes Rjm these catches wr in UAE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic