[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Shovel nose shark, Yellow tail kingfish and a jigged whaler! - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 am 
Fishaholic

hi Guys,

Things have slowed down over here in the last week when fishing from the beach but luckily still some fish are on the chew.!

Last beach session i thought I would solely target mulloway/croaker and so went without a wire trace, rather chossing to fish a 50lb flourocarbon leader. Mulloway are known to shy away from wire so I would be running the risk of getting bitten off by sharks but then if it increased the chances of a big mulloway it would be worth it.

Fishing with squid baits and a double hook rig i patiently waited and very little happened for the first couple of hours apart from the odd tap-tap from the ubiquitous small fish that inhabit the surf zone. the 'pickers' were not as abundant as usual and i was happy the bait could be left for longer without getting torn to shreds..

Finally I felt a more solid bite, followed by the rod pulling around hard as the fish made off..it was solid, no doubt about that as line sang out from the saragosa 18000. bad news was the fish was heading for the offshore reef situated about 250 metres away and if it made the distance a line cut was almost inevitable. Although not enjoyable to catch small fish with I was now pleased for the heavy eqipment beacsue i could put some serious pressure on the fish and turn it's head.

After turning the mystery fish the fight continued for another five minutes, all the time with me hoping that a decent mulloway was on the other end. But by know suspicion was high that thye fish was a shovel nose shark.

A few minutes later the fins could be seen in the surf and sure enough another white spotted shovel nose was beached for a photo before release.

There are some pretty amazing sunsets over this side which makes it a real pleasure to be on the beach before dusk!;)

The local newspaper seemed pretty interested in some of our catches and ran a story in last weeks newspaper which was nice

Out on the boat at the weekend we did some vertical jigging and after a very solid hit I managed to battle this shark up..i was only useing a pe2 set up so was pretty pleased to get the beastie on board and retrieve my jig from the corner of its mouth! it was quite a struggle to pull the bugger aboard..

A week ago i also got my first yellow tail kingfish which was very pleasing. There aren't any great numbers of them around here so to get one is a bit special, particularly as it nailed the lure just a few metres away as I reeled in. they are renowned for their fighting capabilities and this one didn't disappoint..

a couple of weeks ago we made a weekend camping trip a few miles north on a deserted beach. Its an unbelivably fishy looking place and remarkably things were quite at night. Morning tho the tailor fired up and in a manic session with poppers and stickbaits we caught 20 fish and lost countless others. We kept a few for breakfast as they make fine eating when fresh:)

They were very keen but no they didn't all bite at the same time ha ha!

thats about it for now, hope you enjoy, tight lines,

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Enjoyed the post thoroughly, Scott.
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 pm 
Enlightened

Its always a treat to see your posts, congrats on your catches and thanks for sharing.

Jehangir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:20 pm 
Fishaholic

I so wish someday I could also come close to doing such fishing!. You are an inspiration for many.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the shovelnose without a wire leader, its real awesome to have a report written and published in the local newspaper! The shark looks a bit scary, bravo for being fearless and retrieving the jig, the yellow tail kingfish looks happy to be caught!(on camera but of course) :D :D

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm 
Fishaholic

awesome write up... you guys have become the locals celebrities man ! nice... that is a beautiful sunset caught on camera... b e a uuuutiful ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done Scott...
Congratulations,

Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the catch. And nice pics too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:38 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Scott,
Nice report & Amazing catches Congrats
Rgds
Mayur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 am 
Fishaholic

Good stuff again Scott. Looks like you fell for down under. Super pictures and some nice fish there.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Wonderful fishing Scott. The sunset is just too good. Thnks for sharing the pics and happy fishing.