->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:55 pm 

Had gone fishing yesterday along with my father who is a very keen angler.

Left from Kasauli and drove to Mashobra where we spent the night and next morn early (5am) headed off ahead of Naldera to a place called Tattapani and beyond to fish in the Sutlej.

Water was not very clear and spent bout 4 hrs fishing between 2 rods. Caught a total of 3 Mahseer both on spinner and aata but very small fish (300-400gms) and they were carefully released back without any fanfare of weighing of photos.

If anyone has any info they can give me on Mahseer in/near Bilaspur would be very interested as we want to make another trip early Oct.

My friend Misty has given me some gyan but more is always welcome from the fish guru's.

Anyone coming up to Kasauli do give me a shout as i spend a fair bit of time thereabouts work related and we can off course go off for some fishing anytime.

Cheers
Rohit Virmani.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Rohit,

Congratulations for the catch. Consider yourself lucky that you got some fishes in this weather. The fishes will be on bite in October, so make sure you are beside the water at that time.

Regards,

Ali. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 am 
Fishaholic

hi rohit, congratulations for the catch. you wont get a better guru than misty :D ( if you mean misty dhillon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the catch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

Rohit,

Have been there and the place around it looked very promising, the water was very high and dirty when we were there so the fishing was impossible.

The place seemed to hold mahseer as the fishmonger in Tattapani was quite keen to sell them to us.

Probably, they were netting the place.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:52 pm 

Yes off course was fortunate to catch even small fish but then again just being out is a boon by itself.

Misty (Dhillon) has told me of another place which i shall try in Oct and then post a report.

Meanwhile any suggestions etc for this part of the world are very welcome.

Cheers Rohit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:21 am 
Fishaholic

If only the HP fisheries department had managed about 2-3 river areas for Mahseer we would have better fishing and bigger Mahseer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:20 pm 
Fishaholic

perazzi wrote:
Yes off course was fortunate to catch even small fish but then again just being out is a boon by itself.

Misty (Dhillon) has told me of another place which i shall try in Oct and then post a report.

Meanwhile any suggestions etc for this part of the world are very welcome.

Cheers Rohit.

Gambar Khad or the mandir?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm 

Yes its on the agenda early oct , lets hope its better than Shiv Gufa.

Cheers Rohit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:49 pm 

hi guys

in fact i am also going to mashobra in mid oct. i am planning to try out sutlej fishing (Tattapani) then....i hope water would be clear by then and as Ali mentioned Oct is a good time to start.

Perrazi - pls share some locations ans spots around the Tattapani and some tips/techniques . thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Talking of local spots not far from Chandigarh a contractor who has done some work at our plant tells me that he has seen some good size Mahseer at "Hatnikund" barrage (YamunaNagar - Poanta Sahib road) on the Yamuna river. This place is about 40 kms from Yamuna Nagar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:35 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
Talking of local spots not far from Chandigarh a contractor who has done some work at our plant tells me that he has seen some good size Mahseer at "Hatnikund" barrage (YamunaNagar - Poanta Sahib road) on the Yamuna river. This place is about 40 kms from Yamuna Nagar.

Ahhh Hatni Kund... when you get there make a trip to the Kalesar rest house and ask the old man Khan Saab (if he is still around) for the catch registers from back in the day... the last time i was there (about 4 years back), the place was being dynamited in broad day light!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 pm 
Fishaholic

dynamiting .......that is very sad :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:50 am 
Fishaholic

Dhruv, I understand that along the barrage wall the water is deeper so the bigger fish could be found there.

Sure, there is no understanding or promotion of water sports (Sport Fishing, Sailing, Kayaking etc) there but when you come to Chandigarh we can make it a point to meet the Director Fisheries & Tourism Haryana and present our suggestions on the subject.

This water body extends from (say upstream of Vikasnagar) Uttarakhand to Haryana (Hatnikund) and two states need to work on it.

Hope for the best. Still the Yamuna is a great sight upstream of Vikasnagar. Only the Mahseer is missing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
Dhruv, I understand that along the barrage wall the water is deeper so the bigger fish could be found there.

Sure, there is no understanding or promotion of water sports (Sport Fishing, Sailing, Kayaking etc) there but when you come to Chandigarh we can make it a point to meet the Director Fisheries & Tourism Haryana and present our suggestions on the subject.

This water body extends from (say upstream of Vikasnagar) Uttarakhand to Haryana (Hatnikund) and two states need to work on it.

Hope for the best. Still the Yamuna is a great sight upstream of Vikasnagar. Only the Mahseer is missing!

Hi Ashok,

If one goes upstream from Vikas nagar to Berni ghat along the yamuna, the waters are brilliant for mahseer and at one point held monsters. Hatnikund was a fav spot of the Raj administrators and so was the tons. I remember from school, we used to run to this place called Bata Mandi 5 km down stream of Paonta Sahib in season to fish there. Today, there is a cement factory there. Dadupur was another brilliant haunt, but has been contracted out along with Tajewala by Haryana Fishries and the money factor involved is so high that I doubt that the fishries director will listen t us. Do PM me you number though, I'll be happy to give you a call when I'm in CHandi next and we can go and hammer on the directors door!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

I doubt there will be any Mahseer downstream Paonta Sahib. Last time I was there a year ago place was raped like anything by illegal sand miners.

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:03 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with you the bleak situation. But, if we could sell the idea that if overfishing is somewhat acceptable to the dept there is no need to have the contractor destroy the waters.

It suits the contractor to have a regular supply of fish too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Druv, should I try the stretch upstream of Vikasnagar in Oct? Would Rapala Jointed in J9 /J11 in Gold ? Brown Trout be good lures? Any specific place/stretch in that area ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:58 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
Druv, should I try the stretch upstream of Vikasnagar in Oct? Would Rapala Jointed in J9 /J11 in Gold ? Brown Trout be good lures? Any specific place/stretch in that area ?

Sup Ashok,

No point going to the Uttrakhand side of things... too much dynamite... Go up to the Giri, above Nahan and stick to HP side... Since you are in Chandi, head to Bhakra, its literally in your back yard... I'm a big fan of the rapal jointed plugs and they always work no matter what... all trout patterns are good, also try the black/silver ones... J 9/11 are a good size... keep an eye on your trebles though... the J11 trebs are on the large size and are easily bent by a mahseer...

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:53 pm 

hi

speaking of the place above...i was there few days back/.....posting some pics...such a lovely place....picture postcard....

but no luck with any fish...saw some small ones jumping around....

does anyone have any idea as why the water is so low at time time of year? and why there are no fishes around here?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:59 am 

Hello everyone..

Reading all the views of fellow anglers really enlightens me on the topic of fishing. I have been fishing in Europe, Latin America and now in India too.

It was my first trip to the Bhakra Dam a few days ago, it is really a wonderful place and I will be there in the month of April again. Is it a good time to fish ?

I have a house in Mohali and I am in India three to four times a year. I like all the views and I read all with interest.

I had a few photos which I intended to share but sadly I could not upload as I do not know how.

I wish all a wonderful new year to come and all the success.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ron,

Please go through this post to post images on forum and please don't forget to register yourself on imageshack website.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=5

regards
Manish.