->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

First hand account of First Ever Trout Angling in KIRCHI STREAM

In Dudu Basantgarh area of District Udhampur

GAUTAM WAHI

Angling is a passion no other outdoor activity equals the thrill, joy, adventure and satisfaction involved in Rod fishing particularly when it comes to Trout or Mahaseer fishing in India. I have been an active Angler with a deep involvement in Trout fishing in Kashmir over the past few years, having undertaken the fishing activity in almost all the trout beats of Kashmir and experienced the satisfaction of adventure of the sport fishing in world famous crystal clear Trout waters of Kashmir. My passion and involvement in the Angling grew to the extent that I started nurturing a desire to have such activities extended to the higher reaches of Jammu province where we could experience the thrills of the Game or sport fishing.

Due to my frequent interactions with various officers of J&K state Department of Fisheries, particularly Mr. T.Angchook, Director Fisheries I had an idea that some of the streams in Jammu province are being stocked with Rainbow Trout to develop sport fishing in the hills of Jammu province, but Director of Fisheries was reluctant to allow angling in the streams on the pretext that it will take time for the Trouts to establish and he never wanted to give a premature publicity to the efforts being made by the department in this regard.

At the start of this year’s season ultimately Mr. T.Angchook, Director Fisheries Government of Jammu & Kashmir invited me in his chamber at Jammu and disclosed that Trout fishing shall be allowed from this year at Bani(District Kathua), Kirchi(District Udhampur), Budhal(District Rajouri) including some specified streams of Ramban, Kishtwar and Doda Districts respectively. My joys knew no bounds and my angling instincts overpowered my reserved attitude and I immediately asked for permission to undertake fishing in anyone of the above. Taking note of my enthusiasm and impatience, the Director Fisheries introduced me to Mr. R.K.Dogra Joint Director Fisheries Jammu with the directions to allow me to undertake test fishing in one of the above mentioned areas. Later I was allowed by the Joint Director Fisheries Jammu to undertake Test fishing at KIRCHI STREAM in Dudu Basantgarh area of District Udhampur on 9.5.2011 and was accompanied by the departmental staff of district Udhampur for the first ever Trout fishing by Rod in the Kirchi stream.

I started my journey from Jammu on 8.5.2011 at 3.30 pm. and reached Chenani around 5.30 p.m., the journey being on National Highway was quiet comfortable, from Chenani I had to travel towards Sudhmahadev the place where lodging facilities were available both in Government Guest House, JKTDC Bunglow as well as in some private lodges. The journey from Chenani to Sudhmahadev is metalled road and is in a good condition. Reached Sudhmahadev(Chenani to Sudhmahadev is 25km journey) at 6.45 p.m and stayed there for night and next morning (9.5.2011) at about 5 am started journey towards Kirchi. The road from Sudhmahadev upto Latti(38kms) was in good shape whereas the road from Latti to Kirchi 26kms was rough bumpy and gave good experience of hilly terrain to me.

On reaching Kirchi I found the place very beautiful with scenic spots and with good forest cover having Deodar trees around and in no way inferior to any other hill station in the state. The beauty was so astonishing that I felt that how I could miss such a beautiful spot so far since I had been to Sudhmahadev and Mantalai a number of times but was never aware of fact that a paradise could exist beyond the usual stop over at Mantalai.

The Kirchi stream is fast flowing with crystal clear cold waters having both deep as well as shallow pools with a number of water falls here and there having white bubbling waters my instant reaction to the officials accompanying me was “How could you hide this place!” so far. Yes, it was definitely an Angler’s paradise. I started fishing at 8.30 am(slightly belated) from Thirdu bridge initially upstream and later down stream since I found that the Kirchi stream on that day was having excess water because of rains during previous days. At each cast of the rod I could notice movement of fish following the bait (Different types of fly) but the trout was shy to take my fly. After some casts and changing different types of fly patterns the trout finally took my muddler/march brown combo and i caught Rainbow Trouts weighing from 3-4pounds. I really enjoyed the fishing activity till 3p.m and kept two Rainbow Trouts as a trophy or souvenir releasing others. I could experience number of bites giving full thrill and exotic experience which an angler desires.

I would request the authorities particularly the Department of Fisheries, Department of Tourism, JKTDC, PWD and other related departments to provide arrangement for lodging facilities at Village Kirchi so that the Anglers/Tourists can have the exotic experience of magnificent scenic place and fun of Trout fishing in the area.

To sum up I congratulated the local staff of Fisheries Department as well as the local fishermen who assisted me as a “Shikari” and guide. I would not hesitate to praise the Department of Fisheries who has made a magnificent effort in introducing the Rainbow Trout in this area which is expected to go a long way in boosting the tourism potential of the area by inviting the anglers for Trout fishing in Jakhed Dudu area of district Udhampur which has already been established as Trout stream and has been opened to the anglers from this year onward.

more images to follow.::: :lol:

Last edited by king fisher on Wed May 18, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Super Stuff Gautam.. when shall I book my tickets..?? :)) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Super like!

Congratulation on you getting the privilege of being the first angler to have tried the first ever trout fishing in Kirchi!

could not wait to see more pics :P

Regards
Arish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 pm 
Enlightened

brilliant pics.....
& looks like some great efforts by the jammu dept. of fisheries....!

nice one mate...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 pm 
Fishaholic

fantastic rainbow. congrats.
How about more pictures of the beautiful stream?

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Lucky man!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice one buddy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

Excellent pics you have shared. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

very nice report....
and good to know that fisheries dept. is putting in efforts for trouts...
long way to go
all the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

thx all of the above. yes a momentous occassion for me and for angling in j&k.this article will be published in the local/national dailies soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats mate .

King Fisher i suerly would like to try my hand at salty Fly fishing some time in life. I realy envy you fly fishers. It looks awsome. How much would a basic rod reel line cost come upto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

thx mario.a decent beginners kit would be around $300 from us or around 200 pounds sterling from uk.for saltwater it would be a 7wt and above for rod, reel and line.search for the best deal on google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:46 pm 
Fishaholic

some new images for u all to enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks like a dream destination. Wow man, this location looks like heaven. Congratulations for being the first one to open your account there.

Regards,

Ali. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful place.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:10 pm 
Fishaholic

great going gautam.
best wishes for seeding more riverine systems!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

Wow, what a location!
Thanks for posting.

Ravi