->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Good Friday at Alibaug
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:40 pm 

Good Friday in Alibaug
We (Ashish, Rajat, Harshad & Vishal) were eagerly waiting for the Good Friday weekend to come. The 4 working days seemed like 36hrs long each day. 2 more people joined the team Tagore (Tags) & Vishal’s father.
Friday morning, loaded our gear and started off in 2 cars, got caught in some bad traffic on way to Vishal‘s beautiful bungalow at Alibaug. The estuary was about 30 mins from his house and the high tide hour was nearly up. A quick lunch Chicken masala & bread and we were out.
Rajat’s way finder comes handy- no one knew the route & we followed Rajat’s car through some very narrow by lanes and nonexistent roads. Reached the estuary and within minutes had cast out. First hour, 5 rods out… Rajat gets his first run but looses the fish. No more hits, so we moved to the mouth of the estuary which also doubles up as a lovers hangout. Quickly the couples disappear as the local girls seemed more interested in the anglers with their long rods. 3 hours we end up with about 10 catfish and 4 sand sharks (All on bait- no hits on prawns and sardines but squids worked). It was Vishal’s day he caught the biggest sand shark about 6kgs which we took back for dinner. The others were less than 2kgs and we released them. Catfish were given to the locals.
Back home and we drowned the fried shark in some rum, whisky and beers. Freshened up we started off (11.30p.m) to Mandwa jetty for some spinning action. At Mandwa, police stopped us from going on the jetty but Vishal gave some local references and they made way. The water levels were very low about 12-15ft below the jetty and no feeding sightings. So back to bait fishing. 1 hour no bites, then my reel makes the sweet sound… engage the bait runner and suddenly the line goes dead…wait for a few seconds and try to pump & felt a big load on the rod, but the thing on the other end refused to budge. For a moment the pressure on the line eased and could reel in some line, again the same dead load as if the hook has got stuck in the muck… Some more efforts then called out for Rajat … his first reaction… ‘you must have snagged in some rope’ some more mighty heaves and he screams NO ITS A FISH … some more exciting moments then silence…at the end of the line is long …long… about 8ft long eel… the 15lbs mono was doing its best holding the eel which by now had bundled into 2ft round ball above the water… Vishal stepped over the jetty railing trying to yank the fish … it was heavy but he managed to get it up to the jetty height… but then the line snapped and the eel disappeared into the sea… god know who was more lucky… we or the eel as none of us would have got close to unhook the beast on the line. No more action so we go home to drown our sorrow with some more beer.
Next day (afternoon)back to the same estuary in the ebbing tide. After some 15 -20 irritating catfish trying our patience Vishal got the run… some 5 mins later comes out a 3kg sting ray. Rajat who till then was getting bugged with the irritating catfish got a hit on his rod… but refused to act as he thought it was another catfish… after finishing a cigarette he decided to retrieve and out comes a 4kg sand shark. One more hour and we pull out more catfish. By now its dark and we pack up the trip. Gave the catfish, sting ray, sand shark to the local kids and we head home happy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[IMG=http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7766/catfish.gif][/IMG]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done guys.
Ashish, Thanks for sharing.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Guys .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:56 pm 
Fishaholic

:D Nice write-up. Congrats guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice trip... nice sting ray and guitar fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:08 am 
Fishaholic

fantastic fishing... i was thinkin of goin 2 exactly da same spot but changed my mind at last moment n went 2 sum other place where i spent da whole nyt on the beach but absolutely no fish.... anyways dats what fishing is all about.. congrates eveyone on ur catches... when u have rajat with u; u practically dont need anyone....

regards,

Dr. Prasad

***** NO SMS language please *****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats everyone for the fish caught. Thnks for sharing the pics and happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Good going guys. I am sure you guys had lot of fun. After the grind of Powai fishing, these trips are really refreshing.

Congratulations to all.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

lots of fish lots of fun !
nice .. thanks for sharing

cheers!
samit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catches and congratulation to the team, thank for sharing :D

Regard
Arish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulations on the weekend outing and the nice catches!

Regards,

Post subject: Fantastic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:18 am 
Enlightened

Great to see you in action Rajat..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajmallya,

Would you know Vijay by any chance??? :)

Kidding mate - tight lines

DeZZ

Post subject: Yes Sir
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:34 am 
Enlightened

Yes Sir, My brother (His name is Vijay!!!) :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice going guys. Specially the booze part!!! There in one of the snaps, it looks like you tried to sell the sand shark to the locals! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:
Nice going guys. Specially the booze part!!! There in one of the snaps, it looks like you tried to sell the sand shark to the locals! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm 

:D Cool stuff

I have got back to fishing after almost 18 years gap. Inherited some equipment from a wonderful family friend who used to take me fishing 18 years ago . As he said, its time to hang up the fishing hat . I braved the afternoon heat about 8 times in the last 2 months at Mandawa Pier - I have caught nothing ... One nice big MJ or Grouper - something took hold of the lure and slowly i managed to pull up this nice fellow - but my eagerness and excitement was too much after all these years and I rushed it and he jumped off .... :cry: Ah well, the thrill still hits me even thinking about it . Been searching for alternatives to Mandawa - does anyone have suggestions ? Is it possible to surf fish off the beach in Varsoli or Nagaon ? what kind of rigging would one need and what kind of results can one expect ? Any alternative jettys, rocky outcrops or special spots ? Anywhere from Mandawa all the way to Kashid ? Thanks guys ... but I would rather not land catfish or rays - just some nice fighting fish which i will catch and release ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 pm 
Fishaholic

hey ashish bro missed this report as i hardly come on forum now a days very well done mate nice report and pics i remember the overjoyed expressions on our local kids as they were hanging around and helping each of us on getting those fishes :D we must repeat the trip one of these days in fact just got some news on a location near Murud lets try there :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 am 
Fishaholic

congrats to the team..some very nice fishes to see :D

cheers
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks every one for the comments BTW the pic with locals is me trying to bargain with the local fisher woman to dress the fish. Vishal's father is the one standing next to me :D