->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: goodbye orissa !
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 pm 
Fishaholic

well after 2 and a half years of stay i am leaving orissa. it was a great time spent and i picked up most of my angling tricks in this state. it was a blast having a 70 acre lake all to myself and a few regulated netting operations. the port was also only 17 km away. a better place for angling will be tough to imagine and tougher to find.
other wise it is a great state having enough potential to power India into the next century. the only obstacle is the lack of local entrepreneurship.the naxals also compound the picture further. angling wise u can plan a road trip to orissa and i would suggest keeping the rods and the tackle box handy. any pond / stream u cross would be teeming with fish. my two favs the sol and mulley abound. the coast/seaboard teems with barra, trevally, mangrove jacks and even rawas. the major dam i.e. the hirakud and even the minor ones like around chilika have real big mulleys which i did not have the good fortune of hooking up with.
during my last few days i tried to spend as much time as possible on the water and while the sea was not obliging the lake did. i was able to hook and land decent mulley / murrel almost daily. the best part was that i did not loose any fish due to line breaks or pulled hooks , all my losses were in the initial hook up phase only. the tricks learnt from other members of this forum helped me to a huge extent. the fights were on a more open drag and bulldozing was kept at a minimum. the following are a few pics of the total bag i was able to catch and remember to photograph.

murrel
tilsan barra 120 mm scores
my first fish ever on a rapala lure
this one gobbled a yozuri sashimi jointed.

besides these the lures i found to work the best in orissa waters are the mepps size 3 and 4, suspending lures like the xrap shad shallow and the tilsan barra 80 mm, scum frogs, poppers like the yozuri zz pop and the roosta popper.
here is to the place where i became a rookie angler and learnt the "a" of angling. goodbye orissa !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Good fishing, Doc.

Must be sad to leave such good fishing state.

I understand that you are coming to Bangalore. Welcome. Hope to go fishing with you one day.

Tight lines.

Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pics Doc...I too want to catch a mulley but unfortunately there are none in the area that I go to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm 
Fishaholic

hi sailendra ! u have been having a good run yourself and we shall definitely get together someday. i am reaching bangalore on this 25th.
mm , thanks for the heads up ! there should be mulley in the waters u frequent. try switching lure's and have a reasonable range of plugs at hand to entice these guys. u can try these lures x rap shad shallow, yozuri sashimi rattlin vibe and the tilsan lures by halco. at times plugs out perform spinners as far as mulley's go. if using spinners the slowest retrieve gets u the most hits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:48 am 
Fishaholic

Ace-doc,

Sorry to see you leave Orissa -was hoping to visit and do some sea fishing.

Good luck at your new posting.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm 
Fishaholic

ace_doc , wish you good angling action whereever you are moving to. you are right the east coast has lots of action.
i think there are no anglers in this forum from around here. am sure the fish will miss you too :D

all the best !
cheers
samit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 am 
Fishaholic

Hi doc,
nice informations with excellent pics. Where are you now?