->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Was on vacation from 11-02 to 03-03 and thought I would land some big fishes in Konkan. Though I could not land absolutely anything had some pretty monstrous takes. There was ones where I went fresh water fishing and was using mepps spinners and some underwater creature took the spinner with all it might and left my spinner with straightened hooks. That place is known to have murrel, mahseer, occasional barras and MJ during monsoons. Not too sure what it was. And yes it was not a snag in the rocks as the hook came clean without any bent tip. And to add to it I guess I am amtured enough to identify the fish pulling and a snag :lol:

Saltwater encounters were extremes as on 2 occasions I was left with snapped 60 lbs wire leaders. One was me error as I believe it could have been rusted and the other one was a tug of war where I hooked a fish between the rocks and did not want to let him/her go any further. (Duarte: its the same place where you lost your rapala to the nets :lol:

To sum up the vacation was amazing as I enjoyed my freshwater encounters and pulled some good size fresh water eel and they served as a good meal after a few imperial blues. Could not do much saltwater as my movement as restricted due to mentors ill health. But he did accompany me to most of the places. So had to plan trips to places where I could take him easily. Nevertheless, we ended in him catching some good fishes in places like REDI, he landed a fish locally know as "churcho" hope to know what it means in english.

Vacations over and now back in Dubai. The same darn place where your fishing activities are restricted to weekends and only if weather permits. weekend dated 11-03-11 got me a Spangled Emperor and 2 catfishes.

I witnessed a strange behavior of a sha'ari (spangled emperor) where in I was about the land the fish and fish made a run into the rocks and stood there for a long time until it was forced to come out. Have never seen this fish make a run for cover and that too into the rock on the shore where there was barely any water due to receding tide.

Catfishes gave me good fight and while I was fighting them always prayed it not to be a catfish rather be a small cobia :wink:

They did put a good fight which lasted for 10-15 minutes. These fish was released back to the water to fight another day but not with me again :wink:

The spangled emperor was for the table as it is considered a good fish for the pan and is not listed under the endangered species list in UAE at least.

Keyur, how many trevallys did you land that day? 2 or 3 and i guess you bagged some more sultans. One more good day on the shores.

DeZZ

Spangled Emperor

Catfish

Last edited by teritex on Sun May 13, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Good one Dezz, nice fishes. be thankful that you are able to fish every week. :D .

Keep it up and go on posting.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:14 pm 

Nice fish Dezz! You came back at the right time.
Last one month was anyway bad weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:33 pm 
Fishaholic

jaguar.runs wrote:
Nice fish Dezz! You came back at the right time.
Last one month was anyway bad weather.

Imagine going to a good place where there are lots of fish and not being able to catch any :(

Talk to you sometime later. Call me tomorrow morning I will be in the port.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
Fishaholic

You bet Ali :) More couple of months and then a HOT and DRY spell in the Emirates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Dezz,

See you soon in Dubai next week. Fish or no fish, but will have lots of fun. Landing a fish is a By-product, being by the water is real pleasure. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the catches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch Dezz Congrats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the fish caught. Thnks for sharing the pics Dezz and happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:18 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Hey Dezz,

See you soon in Dubai next week. Fish or no fish, but will have lots of fun. Landing a fish is a By-product, being by the water is real pleasure. ;)

See you soon. Gimme a buzz should you want me to pic you at the airport and drop you to the hotel. You got my number don't you??

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Apoo, Lion, Spoonangler: Thanks for your comments.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catches Dezz! congragulations! :P

and let me wish Santosh happy journey in advance! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
See you soon. Gimme a buzz should you want me to pic you at the airport and drop you to the hotel. You got my number don't you?? DeZZ

Thanks mate, very kind of you, but I got it covered. Thrusday evening, you and Keyur pls come over to the hotel.. we will Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dezz,
Seems like you had a great time in India .
You really do not need to catch a monster to enjoy your fishing. The out door, by the sea/water/river side itself is a fantastic thrill.

While you were in India I was at Dubai fishing at YORK. But no photographs please!!!! :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
teritex wrote:
See you soon. Gimme a buzz should you want me to pic you at the airport and drop you to the hotel. You got my number don't you?? DeZZ

Thanks mate, very kind of you, but I got it covered. Thrusday evening, you and Keyur pls come over to the hotel.. we will Image

Dont forget to pick up ma bandook ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:44 pm 
Fishaholic

ravinp58 wrote:
Hi Dezz,
Seems like you had a great time in India .
You really do not need to catch a monster to enjoy your fishing. The out door, by the sea/water/river side itself is a fantastic thrill.

Everything was ok accept the tiring walks and the rock climbing. Had to take shots of our good old Imperial Blue.
Quote:
While you were in India I was at Dubai fishing at YORK. But no photographs please!!!! :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
Ravi

Hmm but you need additional flash to capture the africans that flock there.
Better ones are all at morooj rotana / longs bar / buddha bar and so on.. Now that i have revealed the secret locations please fish responsibly :0

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
santosh wrote:
teritex wrote:

Dont forget to pick up ma bandook ...

Muzzal Loada you mean :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:54 am 
Fishaholic

Friday 25-03

Had to head out alone this friday and the weather was awesome and tide was high. Fog blanket over the shore and the visibility was not more than 30 meters. I rigged one rod with sardine hoping to catch one more Sha'ari. Started casting popper in the direction of the bait fish ball. The popper cast really well and landed as if it was miles away and disappeared into the fog and whilst reeling gave some awesome splashes. The feeling was amazing I could see the water like mirror covered with fog and in one corner my popper was working its way with some huge splashes. But there were no takes. A few moments there was huge scream of the other line and line ran down as fast as it could. This one gave a bit of a good fight as compared to the rest and was my PB in that species. It fought for a good 12-13 mins and than surface. Grrrrhhhh yet another BIG catfish surfaced.

The fish was released to fight another day.

Channel Catfish:

Saturday 26-Mar

Joined Keyur on Saturday and forgot to carry my rod holder so was confined to using just one rod. After a casting out our lines with me using one rod and keyur on 3 rods. A few moments later Keyur had his lines screaming. The obvious guess was a catfish. It took some solid runs and fought well. As the fish came closer it took us by surprise. It was a good BIG Golden Trevally. Over joy knew no boundaries. This was one BIG Trevally Keyur has ever landed and one I ever saw.

Golden Trevally:

Keyur seemed to be catching all the possible fishes that day and I had blanked out through out with no takes at all instead lost one rubber shad and a rig with wire leader being ripped off without any notice or perhaps we were busy reeling other fish when there was a strike. Later part of the day Keyur had another take and this time it was a small sting ray which was released to grow bigger. and no sooner there was another power run which left keyur spooled out in a mere minute or so. The fish that took his bait was sure on steroids or perhaps had a tweaked engine. Never have I seen reel being spooled out so fast. The line snapped and the fish was free to go (unintentional release :? ). For a while keyur managed to land a few sand breams and a a couple sultan ibrahims and there was another take on one of his rod, this time he allowed me to fight the fish and guess was one more cat fish for me Grrrhhhhhh....(Released... next time I am gonna stab them and release) It was almost 0900 am and sun was shinning bright we were on the verge of winding up and one more power run on keyurs rod. Man this was one powerful fish and for a moment I thought it would be another spool out. But he fought the fish well and only to know that he had hooked BIGGER and I mean BIGGER STING RAY When it was beached, I tired to drag it out by holding it in its eye sockets. It was vacuumed itself in the sand it it did not move an inch from its place. WOW it was and awesome feeling and to know what power the ray hold even on sand. This fish weighed a whooping 13 KG I guess its keyur's PB in Rays. The fish was released back in good shape.

What an awesome weekend it was.

Apologies for not taking the pictures of the rest of the fish. The SAD news is that there were some contractors who told us that the place will be shut down due to security reasons. So we will be left with the beach portion to fish and the better spot will not be reachable. Well lets see what surprise we have next weekend :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats guys keep it up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dezz, Keyur,
Congrats.
Nice fish.
How big was the first cat fish?
What are those black spots on the GT?

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats, Dezz.

Good fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 am 
Fishaholic

ravinp58 wrote:
Hi Dezz, Keyur,
Congrats.
Nice fish.
How big was the first cat fish?
What are those black spots on the GT?

Ravi

Thanks Shailendra and Ravi,

@ Ravi
The catfish weighed oddly 3.5 to 4 kgs I did not weigh it as it was released immediately but I did pick it up to have a guesstimate.
The fish in the second picture is not a GT its a Golden Trevally. They often have stripes or spots or both of it. This had stripes that were nearly faded off but the spots were prominent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Facinating..... deZZ,
I was wondering how you failed to call me. My next visit to Dubai is between the 11th to the 15th of April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:
Facinating..... deZZ,
I was wondering how you failed to call me. My next visit to Dubai is between the 11th to the 15th of April.

Huh??? Call you when?? Where. I always thought you were in Kuwait. Hopefully if the weather is good in April will fish together. Gimme a buzz when you are here and we will meet up. 15th is a Friday so we can go fishing then. Hope you got my number??

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Dezz and Keyure on those fabulous catches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch, Congrats keep it up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:50 pm 
Fishaholic

I dont have your number, but I have sent you my mobile number in Dubai. Call me on the 12th of April. C u then. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Some nice action....
howz weather condition in Dubai?
here water is still cold......
havent seen any action in month of march... hope april wil be good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hozefa,

Weather is good so far. Temp hitting max 35. Soon it will be summers. And yes there has been good take in the month of March but mostly cats and Sha'ari and a few trevalys here and there. Surprising water is still colder there in March. Thought it should have been summer there already.

Tight lines - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 pm 
Fishaholic

I may visit Dubai again most probably next weekend. This time I wont waste time partying [smilie=me-likey.gif] and certainly wont be doing any charity work.. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Hozefa,

Thought it should have been summer there already.

Tight lines - DeZZ

Ha ha ha. Dream on. Here it is still cool in the morning and just warm in the noon. Best time to fish as we have a 2 meter high tide in the noon. I expect this to go on till the end of April. Wanna come to Kuwait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
I may visit Dubai again most probably next weekend. This time I wont waste time partying [smilie=me-likey.gif] and certainly wont be doing any charity work.. :evil:

That place where used to fish near the beach has been restricted since last friday :( Now there is no way you can cast into the channel for some spangled emperor however the beach along side does yield good fish though seldom :)

Post subject: My Queen!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

It was the first day of EID holidays. As such these holidays are hard to come in this part of the world. The plans were scheduled well in advance and on a Friday morning we hit the roads to the breakwaters. Considering the the climate, the tides, wind speed, etc etc... everything seem to be perfect. spirits were high. Headed on a long journey to the spot and reached there quarter past six. Not a soul in sight on the break waters and we were at peace. Water conditions looked good. Got are tackle ready and cast out lines. We had the leverage of casting three lines in different places. Keyur got his bait on bottom rig and I was determined to use a float as it was made ready the earlier evening. All set and waiting for the reel screams. We both then started spinning lures with not much luck in our favor, name it we have tried it. Right from rapala, yozuri, ruber shads, spoons, jigs, poppers etc.... It was already past eight and no sign on any fish around. Whist we both were busy spinning lures we did not pay attention to the rods mounted on the rod holders. When I just thought of asking keyur to keep an eye on my rod I tried to take a glimpse of where I had placed it. The rod wasn't in sight. WHAT!!!! Yes it was long bent down to 30 degrees with the fish having a tug of war. Pull the rod off the holder and a STRIKE! to reconfirm the hooks were well set. The fish took long and powerful strides striping much of the line off my reel. Was so excited that instead of tightening the drag I loosened it and the fish gained power and ran left with might and those awesome display of splashes though not revealing what it could be. "Prayers were for the spanish mackerel ;)" It fought well and finally gave in as I was reeling in the fish we were determined to release it back so I asked for the landing net instead of the gaff. The swell made it difficult to get the fish in the net. With much courage I extend the landing net towards the fish but it wouldn't fit in. The queen took severed beating on the rocks and did not put much resistance. It was the saddest part where I had to shove my hands up the gills to bring it on the rocks. The swells had already soaked me and the rocks were more slippery. Thanks to keyur for all his guidance else excitement could have played a spoil sport. Finally when we got it up, it was wow what an awesome looking big fish. I wish I had done more the release it. We had no option but to hand it over to some egyptian/jordanian/ some gcc nationals fishing near by in exchange of a ballyhoo :) to use as bait. Their happiness knew no bounds. They were anticipating a very happy EID :) Have a look at the photo and guess the weight ???

Tackle:

TSUNAMI 5 star 9 MH
Daiwa Tierra 4000
Powerpro 20 lbs
Floating rig with stopper at more than 5 meters.
Bait: Dead ballyhoo (halfbeak/needlefish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hearty Congrats for the Queenie
keep up the good work Desmond [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Fish, have a blast buddy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:28 pm 
Fishaholic

lionheart wrote:
Hearty Congrats for the Queenie
keep up the good work Desmond [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

MJ's are even better mate. Will call you when i am in mumbai.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats dezz. good fun on light tackle.. does it weigh abt 8 - 9kilos? all the best for more..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulation Dezz... a sparkling beauty she is :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice and Big Queen fish. Congratulations
The Bait u mentioned " ballyhoo " How is ur experience using it?
How Far did the fish strike?
How much distance did u keep the floater from the bait
Once again Really nice big fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going Desmond, a fine fish..

Keep on doing it. Heartiest congratulations.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:08 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats on the amazing catch.

cheers !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Very beautiful fish. Congrats.

I have been wanting to try the floating rig since long. I will try in the next trip.

Regards,
Sanjay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats... Very good catches...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:33 pm 
Enlightened

That is a very very nice catch Dezz. Congratulations :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:40 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Chris, arish, hamour, ralf, Ali, samit, sanju, sandip and atul.

@ Hamour: You are nowhere close. Sorry but thanks for trying.
@ Ralf: Ballyhoo are an awesome bait. Live are even better. All predatory fish that strike are known to strike in the head zone of their bait. The float was a free running one with a rubber band stopper at almost 10 meters. i used 3 oz ball sinker to get the casting distance and keep the bait in position.
@ sanjay: Floats will yield you good results but than its preferences and fish you are targeting. Bream and spangled emperor family so far i have had no luck on floats. They scoop bait from the bottom and prefer weedy beds. Kings, queens and barracudas readily take suspended bait on float. However, fish like rays they tend to take both suspended as well s from the bottom. There's no harm in trying just get the length right. I am certain you will have good results.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Some very nice fishes Dezz, congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

This fish seems to be around 2 n a half foot so may be weight wud be around 4-5Kgs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby.

Ralf:How long have you been fishing??? Good guess it weighed @ 4.60 kg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:19 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Thanks Bobby.

Ralf:How long have you been fishing??? Good guess it weighed @ 4.60 kg.

:wink:
Hope the Prize wud be som uselful advice on lure fishing as my target is to learn som good lure fishing.