->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
hamour wrote:
it does no matter if it's the pacu or pirahna, its worng to introduce invasive species... even though he pacu is mostly vegetarian.

Please shed some more light on this!, I'm trying to derive how a vegetarian can be an invasive species when there are predatory species too?

Referece to River Monsters: On invasive species, he was talking about some river is US where silver carp was introduced and now you dont find anything other than this fish. Reason, its feeding pattern...almost anything that can be eaten is filtered by this fish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
hamour wrote:
it does no matter if it's the pacu or pirahna, its worng to introduce invasive species... even though he pacu is mostly vegetarian.

Please shed some more light on this!, I'm trying to derive how a vegetarian can be an invasive species when there are predatory species too?

introduced species, even though they do not eat the natives, they compete for food. thus the native population declines. Tilapia is one such example, as you can find it every where, even at places where there are no native species..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

missed MM's reply. that is exactly what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks guys.... I understand now that they finish the food!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:16 am 
Fishaholic

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
hamour wrote:

Simple :!: they eats away food resources of other vegetarian species

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:49 am 
Fishaholic

Poona Gang,

Enough discussion and speculation have been done to identify the fish. It is time, you guys should make it a point to stay put beside the water body till you catch this specimen and take photograph for proper Identification.

I think a floating bread crust will do the trick.

Come on, show us this fish. :wink:

Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 am 
Fishaholic

Monday morning (15th Aug) everyone should be free... Lets hit this place or Khadakwasla. There are some pools with Carps, tilapia, snakeheads and some knife fish... Lets get going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

humaid wrote:
Monday morning (15th Aug) everyone should be free... Lets hit this place or Khadakwasla. There are some pools with Carps, tilapia, snakeheads and some knife fish... Lets get going.

should be! and fortunately the company has declared a holiday....

Regards,

Last edited by Omesh.Moorjani on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

@Omesh
As I told you, would be having some guests over the week end... So I can manage to come only on monday. You guys carry on for Sunday.

Manas Sounds good. But is it open for fishing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 pm 
Fishaholic

humaid wrote:
@Omesh
As I told you, would be having some guests over the week end... So I can manage to come only on monday. You guys carry on for Sunday.

Manas Sounds good. But is it open for fishing?

Its not but shotogan warrior has connections.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 pm 

Manas is not open for fishing, had been to Shivam lake resort couple of days back (its opposite manas resort) which belongs to a friend and tried fishing from a small pier like thingie. There are plenty of fish in the lake, could see them but didnt catch anything :( Planning on visiting again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:26 am 
Fishaholic

Adityap wrote:
Manas is not open for fishing, had been to Shivam lake resort couple of days back (its opposite manas resort) which belongs to a friend and tried fishing from a small pier like thingie. There are plenty of fish in the lake, could see them but didnt catch anything :( Planning on visiting again....

Ok! its not open for fishing you win! Thanks for the update. Can maybe try at shivam if possible.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:40 am 
Enlightened

Bro I checked out the first set of pics ... the golden/black fish is definitely a Koi Carp ... I have about 6 of these in a small pond outside my house. Not the same colours though shape is exactly the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Boppana,

I was out of Mumbai for a week on work and so could not open IA site.

Yes, you please do write to the Director of Fresh water Fisheries and bring this Dangerous trend of introduction of Piranhas by unscrupulous elements. I was not able to contact the person in whose pond these piranhas were found, but I shall definitely find out from where he bought the calcutta fish fingerlings for introduction in his pond. I shall then revert back to you.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

arun.mohile wrote:
Hi Aditya,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Fish could be correctly identified only when you catch it and share the photograph. However, since you mention two distinct colours, namely Orange and greenish and as the two pictures show a distinct Orange colour on its chest or lower front side with dorsal surface grey or greenish, I would not be surprised if the fish is a 'Piranha'.

To justify my above guess I would like to share an interesting incident in which my brother-in-law was bitten by a fish none other than a 'Piranha'.

In last November, my brother-in-law visited his Friend's Farm in Raigad district, where the Farm owner had created a man made Pond and had introduced 'Calcutta fish' (Rohu, Catla, mrigal and other carps). Unfortunately, in last monsoon the pond developed a bottom leak and most of the water got drained. The Farm Owner had therefore decided to net all remaining fish on that day. The water in the pond was very muddy and it was hardly 3 to 4 feet deep. My Brother-in -law had no hopes of netting any fish in such a muddy and shallow water.

However, when the net was hauled, to his surprise it had 8 to 10 pomphret sized piranhas! He held one piranha in his hand and wanted to photograph its human-like teeth, when the piranha quickly bit his finger and inflicted a deep bleeding cut !. The Farm Owner reported that this fish is named Fresh water pomphret and fetches him a good price as it is very tasty. He prepared a Fish Curry of these Piranhas and my Brother-in-law told me that it was really a tasty fish!

The important fact that the above incident indicates is that this South American Piranha fish is getting introduced in our Indian waters and this could harm the aqua culture in our country.

I understand that these piranhas are available in Aquarium shops as well and somehow they find their way into the Pisciculture industry, which is dangerous to other species like Rohu, Catla, Mrigal and other indian carps.

Wish you Best of Luck in catching your elusive Fish from the quarry and looking forward to see its photograph.

Tight Lines,

Arun

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

wonder why the bugger who released piranhas did not release peacock bass while he was at it ?
would have been more appreciated than those scalpels.
before u guys start with the brick bats i was joking!