->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

God knows how i missed this post. this was an awesome read. Liked the pics as well. Congrats. In Assam we call it Xil Ghoria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 am 

Can some one tell me that fish we call "Patthar Chatti" is there a another local/indian name for this fish? I was reading up and found out that "Patthar Chatti" is also andother name for Kalbanse in certain parts of North India like Kumaon.

Patthar Chatta on the other hand Glyptothorax annandalei is a small kind of catfish.

Hi Bobby, thank's for resurrecting this amazing thread, was a very good read. The first fish in the thread, greyish is a Labeo dyocheilus, I have seen several specimens both large and small being caught from the Sankosh river flowing down from the Bhutan Hills at Kalikhola, Jalpaiguri District, WB. Locally called Goraiya and as Apoo reported it's Assamese name Xil Ghoria. This is a highly prized table fish upwards of 5xx per kg for specimens over 3 - 5 kg and most often sold off in the local small town market of Barobisha near the WB - Assam state border and similar places.

The other fish with a goldenish hue as rightly pointed out by Bobbychyma is a fish of the upper reaches of the Himalayan watershed. I have encountered these at several places in North Bengal and Sikkim mainly in the Teesta. This to my observations is a Schizothorax possibly richardsoni. Locally called Osala by the hill people like Lepchas and Bhutias. Large specimens can be quite tasty too mainly due to their fat content but not that much by way of flavour.

Pathar Chatta is a name given to small fish of the Balitora genus which have no importance in the food fishery sector. Atleast that's the name used in North Bengal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pictures Bobby - U have good sence of photography...Very beautiful fishes too - I have not seen those fishes earlier. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks,
Sandip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:51 am 
Fishaholic

The second one mentioned by channabarca is called AAsla by the people of Himachal (if i remember correctly). I caught a lot of small ones near Kullu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks again guys, fish names are an interesting subject. Thanks for all the info it was really educational.

sandip_ghosh wrote:
Nice pictures Bobby - U have good sence of photography...Very beautiful fishes too - I have not seen those fishes earlier. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks,
Sandip

The photographer is my son, the only picture I took was the one with the sign, and that photo has a flaw :oops: if you look properly I think my finger was in the way :oops: