->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:42 am 
Fishaholic

“Angling is more about just being there”, some understand it, and true anglers believe it, the heathen just think it is a case of sour grapes. Last week I experienced a fishing trip that took this phrase to another level. It was almost the perfect fishing trip, and I say “almost” not because we did not land our “fish of dreams” but because we did not take a good camera to document the trip and had to make do with a phone camera.

After much planning with Maseerken, my son Dillon and I left Hong Kong for Delhi on the 17th November late night, without confirmed seats, on flight that was bursting at the seams, we were lucky to get on a couple of “Jump Seats” and this made sleeping impossible. The flight landed on schedule in the wee hours of a cool Delhi morning, 215 hours to be precise. The New Delhi airport staff were in a conservative mood and assigned baggage from several flights to the same carrousel, there were bags lying all over the place, and our luggage still somewhere in a tunnel because the baggage sensors would not unload fresh baggage onto a fully loaded carrousel. It was really frustrating, after all I had a fish to catch.

Mercifully we managed to get our bags at around 3:45 and were out in a Jiffy. On meeting Kenneth all that frustration disappeared, all we now looked forward to was some serious fishing. We reached Kenneth’s place around 4:15 to drop off some of our stuff and pick up his pride and joy. She came all wrapped up in a blanket and Poonam (Ken’s wife) tucked her into the back seat of the car. Still half asleep Alya greeted us such with beaming smile, that it seemed like the sun in Delhi had risen an hour early, catching a fish now became secondary and from that moment I knew this was going to be a wonderful experience.

Just as we started, we had to turn back because Dillon forgot his Wallet and Phone (our camera) at Kenneth’s place. Once we had got that, we were now firmly off. This was my first trip up north and I was really excited, every mile we covered was like opening a fresh page to an exciting adventure book and I drank it all in. The sights and smells were all new to me, the smells, almost, they sometimes reminded me of a “well” in Bombay in a “Dhobi Ghat” where I used to fish for Tilapia. Conversation with Kenneth was very interesting, educational and fun. We had met for the first time and so there was a lot to talk about. As the journey went ahead, Road signs like “Elephant Crossing” and “Elephants have right of way” were unique and others like “Blow Your Horn at Sharp Curves” were entertaining and stirred the imagination. We reached Rishikesh sometime late noon, the journey had gone by in a Jiffy even after several stops, some for reasons one must and others when we just felt like, to see a bird that we could not identify or to admire a statue or pick up an unusual fruit. The giggles in the back seat from Alya made the journey even more pleasant. All we had to do now was get our angling licenses and hit the Ganga.

Unique Road Sign (Elephant Crossing):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Under the watchful gaze of Shiva:

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us

Picturesque drive:

Bridge over the Ganga:

At Rs. 500 a rod per day I thought the charge was extravagant, but who the hell cared, I was finally going to tussle with a legendary fish. Growing up, I had heard tales of this fish from friends and neighbours alike who had lived up north and every story only added to the legend. Ever since, it had been a dream of mine to catch a mahseer in her element, and now my time had come. With licenses in hand we drove to camp, dropped our luggage rigged our rods and hurried to the river. I stood and gazed at the Ganges in all her glory, I was finally there. Kenneth being a true gentleman gave Dillon and me the prime spots and after a quick lesson on what lures work, where to cast and how to retrieve we found new confidence and set about landing this legend.

Being saltwater anglers, we were for the first time going after something of serious note in fresh water. I stared at the raging river in awe, how on earth could a fish actually take a lure in those furious rapids is something I could not fathom. It was time to find out, I put on a Gold and Orange minnow type lure and decided to get on with it.

Kenneth was the first one to hook-up and gestured to us immediately, after taking about 30 meters of line he landed his fish, the only thing was his fish had a problem, its head was too close to his tail! After a couple of hours and with an even number of failed hits I walked down to Dillon who was having even worse luck than me. Not only had he no hits to account for, he had also lost a lure. I suggest that we let the place “rest” a while and we walked down to where Kenneth and Alya were. Kenneth had now switched to Atta and in due course he managed to land another Mahseer with the same problem, only this time it was more acute, both fish were released unharmed back into the Ganges.

The fatigue of a sleepless night and the long drive were now beginning to kick in. So I decided to take a break and sit for a while. An Osprey dived into the Ganges and stayed as if anchored in the water for a good minute or so, it had obviously got something that was holding it down, it struggled to get out of the water and as it slowly made its way back into the air, we noticed it had a small Mahseer of about a lb. in its talons. It laboured past us I thought it would go into the drink again but it did not and gradually flew out of sight. I rested and tried to rethink my strategies, talking to Kenneth I realized I was over thinking and that the Mahseer was like any other predatory fish. All I had to do was apply the same basic fishing principles and I should be successful.

I decided to go back to my now rested spot and give it another go. Dillon decided to hang long with Kenneth who obviously knew a lot more than his dad about this kind of fishing and though he did not say this, he figured he had a better chance of landing something if he stuck with the Master. The water level had dropped further and had gone even clearer, a good sign, and I found new energy to get on with my quest. I looked for a rock or point that allowed me to cover more water where the slightly coloured water met with the gin clear stream. I put the gold and orange lure that I had started the day with back on and casted with renewed fervour. Cast after cast nothing happened, and then I felt something hit the lure, it made a very short run and then stayed its ground. “Could this be the legend?” I asked myself, it seemed completely different from all those stories I had heard about electrifying runs, yes, my drag was on tighter than it should have been, but still.. After a couple of dogged minutes of holding its ground, a long beautiful sickle like fin peaked from the water, “Kalbanse” I said to myself. I fancy myself as a bit of a specimen hunter I thought myself fortunate to have run into this fellow. He tried gamely to make a run for it, but the drag was on far too tight. As I got him in closer I noticed the beautiful blue hew over his body, and also noticed that he was foul hooked in the side.

The edge of the Gin Clear Stream:

The camp’s cook was eagerly watching the action and insisted it was a large Mahseer, the cheeky fellow also offered “assistance” by way of trying to relieve me of my rod to “help” me land my fish. Not a chance! I gestured to him to move away from the water’s edge and slowly landed the spent fish. When I picked him up I realized how truly beautiful he was, at about 4lbs., with flowing luxuriant fins and a blue hew across his body, he looked all dressed up to attend a ball and perhaps he was. In the prime condition that he was, he could have well been out wooing the ladies when he decided to take care of the pesky lure that was spoiling his Mojo. I put him in a small pool as I wanted some pictures of this handsome fellow before I could release him. The cook on the other hand insisted he would die from his wounds and thought he would be better off simmering in one of his pans instead.

All Dressed up:

I continued casting and after about 15 minutes, I saw Kenneth, Alya and Dillon returning back and beckoned them to come over and check out this beauty, they all thought the fish was gorgeous, we christened him “Tony Montana” because of the scar, and after a few pictures released him, he swam promptly back to where he belonged, into the raging river.

Tony Montana:

We ended the day by a campfire with a few beers and a nice dinner. Sleep was something I was really looking forward to now, the cosy beds in our tent looked as welcoming as any Mahseer could and I fell into a dreamless sleep.

I was woken up by a cheerful “Good Morning”, it was 7:00 and when I got out of our tent, Kenneth was standing there with a welcoming flask of hot tea. After downing a couple of cups it was time to hit the water. Having lost my gold and orange lure last evening, I put on a blue and silver lure, a favourite one for small GT’s, and we walked down to the river. The water had dropped considerably since last night. Dillon took the prime position up river and we went to the end, on my second cast something hit the lure but alas, it did not connect. After about an hour and a half of fishing there, I decided to go to where Dillon was and check out the action. Nothing happened. A sharp whistle from the camp at about 9:00 told us that Breakfast was ready. Dillon walked down to Kenneth and Alya to inform them about breakfast and we headed back to camp.

Ganges Sunrise 1:

Ganges Sunrise 2:

A quick breakfast of omelette and paratha was perfect, we hit the water again, this time I took up the position where Dillon was earlier and Dillon went to the end along with Kenneth and Alya to try fishing with some Atta. The water was colder than yesterday and nothing happened still. A screech from above prompted me to look up, an Eagle decided to teach an Osprey a lesson and went after it, I thought the Osprey was done for, however the Osprey being the more agile of the two, quickly turned tables on the Eagle and after some acrobatic flying, he had the the Eagle, now flying for dear life like a bat out of hell. It was quite a sight where a much smaller but very upset Osprey was chasing this large, now terrified Eagle.

The Eagle and the Osprey:

Shortly after, I saw Dillon walking towards me with a fish in hand, “Did you catch it?” I inquired “nobody did” he said, I was much surprized especially as I could see a jointed lure at its mouth dangling from its lower lip. It was the same lure Dillon lost last night. What was more surprizing was that the fish was a “Pathar Chatti” (or Indian Barbel we decided to call it not knowing its English name) not known for its predatory instincts and certainly not for taking lures, I was assured by Kenneth. What had happened was, as the water dropped even further Kenneth decided to walk towards where he thought the lure was stuck and found some fishing line, being environmentally conscious he decided to take it out to properly discard it. He realized that the line was wrapped around a rock and as he went around it, there was the lure and attached to it, was a fish. The fish was spent and would not have survived so we decided to keep this one for the pot, besides, it has a reputation of being a very good table fish.

Pathar Chatti(Indian Barbel) Note even the Barbels on the mouth:

True Barbel (You can see the similarity between this one and the Pathar Chatti):

We tried to understand what happened and came to the conclusion that swivel was stuck between two rocks, breaking the line only jammed the swivel firm between the rocks, after that, the lure danced loosely in flowing water right through the night, the flowing water would have given it action and the Pathar Chatti taking it for an injured or dying fish, found the easy morsel too hard to resist.

Dillon went back to Kenneth and I kept the Pathar Chatti in a small pool. In a short while three crabs came by to feast on it, I caught one of them and took it down to Kenneth so that he could use it as bait. Dillon had his rod resting on a makeshift rod-rest baited with Atta. I asked him to come with me so that we could catch the other crabs and he could take them back to use as bait. Kenneth was busy spinning in shin-deep water, so I asked Alya to pay attention to the rod should there be a take. As luck would have it, there was a take, and little Alya handled it like a pro, she picked up the rod, struck, played the fish and landed it, her first Mahseer taken all on her own, I could see the pride in Kenneth’s eyes when he related the story to me.

Little Alya with her Mahseer:

After some time, we decided to head back to camp for lunch, a funeral procession went past us for the banks, an inauspicious omen perhaps, however I recalled something Kenneth told me last night about how funeral pyres actually attract fish on the Ganges, maybe something would happen later in that day. Well nothing did, the rest of the day passed uneventfully, just before it got dark I switched back to my Blue Silver lure again, and was hit shortly after and I landed another Kalbanse, talk about Deja-vu, this one had the same physical defect as Ken’s Mahseer. We released this Kalbanse and headed back to camp, had some fish pakhoras along with other snacks. Over snacks Kenneth and Dillon decided to re-name me “Captain Kalbanse”.

Dillon Waiting for a bite

We decided to have another go after Dinner, Kenneth stayed back with Alya in the camp as she was sleepy. With the moon almost full and armed with only one rod and some Atta we approached the rapids just below the camp. The fast flowing water in the moonlight had an almost eerie glow, the fact that we fishing within 40 feet of the where a funeral pyre was lit a only a few hours ago only added to the surreal atmosphere. However, what really made us leave the place was the stench of rotting flesh and we like to think it came from some dead animal that we could not see.

We crossed the adjoining stream, walked along the river to the end, right to the bottom of the bank where we had fished earlier in the day and cast out our bait. It was hauntingly beautiful in the moonlight, a gentle breeze brought the sweet smell of burning incense and camphor from the across the river, it was mysterious, sacred and even slightly festive, after all we were on the banks of the holiest river in the world.

It was wonderful, now away from the camp, we waited in the moonlight with line between finger and thumb for some monster from the Ganges to rise and take our bait. We did have a couple of takes, but monsters they were not, as a matter of fact, we did not even find out what they were as we failed to connect. At about midnight we reluctantly decided to head back to camp. We had a long drive ahead of us next morning and so this was it. No Mahseer for either Dillon or myself but we were far from disappointed. The Mahseer still remained an enigma.

Time to say goodbye:

We woke up the next day at around 730, Dillon took his rod to give it one last shot but returned back within 20 minutes after having lost a lure. While he was gone, Kenneth and I repacked the car under the watchful supervision of Alya and very soon we were off. We drove slowly through Dhera-Dun – Pontasahib – Yamuna Nagar – Karnal – Haryana and finally landed in Delhi at around 1900 hrs. The Drive was fantastic, picturesque, with fields of mustard flower in bloom, colourful birds and shops selling handicraft, it was an eclectic experience.

We also had some amusing incidents along the way, while we had stopped the car to strech our legs, some loud music caused us to turn around, here a man in a tractor drove by with two large speakers fixed on opposite mudguards so that he was square in the middle grooving to the latest Bollywood tunes. Another incident, where at one point we were stuck in traffic-jam across a level crossing, for the first time I saw road traffic actually holding a train back. While we were over the tracks, one of the gates at the level crossing swung and closed holding us back along with the rest of the traffic. There was a lot of shouting, tooting and honking and the train driver did not want to miss out on all the fun, so he decided to join in the cacophony and blow his horn as well. I had to get off and hold the gate open so we could pass and once our car had done so, I had to keep holding it open so that the rest of the traffic could get through, if I let go then it would have surely crashed into some vehicle, and with so many large Sardars about, it was a situation I would not want to be in. After having done my bit of community service, I hopped into the car and we were on our way again.

We reached Kenneth’s place at about 2030hrs, had a quick shower which was followed by a scrumptious dinner of Mutton Curry, Rice, Roti, Dal, Salad, some Curried Rohu and Pabda with mustard sauce. A dinner fit for kings, unfortunately we could not lay back and enjoy the meal like we wanted to but had to guzzle it down like greedy animals as we were getting later for our 2450 flight. It was time to bid farewell to Kenneth and his wonderful family who in that short time made us feel completely at home. After driving for almost 13hours, Kenneth had to drive us again, to the airport this time as there were no taxis available. We were late and hurried to our airline counter which was almost closing, fortunately we got our seats, just barely, we even had to take one of those electric airport taxis to get us to the boarding gate on time but we did make it.

As we settled down in our seats my mind drifted back to what happened over the last few day, the trip was outstanding , in a way almost spiritual, we had been to the Mecca of freshwater angling, and though we never met the lord of the river we were fulfilled. With the Mahseer now running down the rapids, safe within the strict confines of our memory, I reminisced on the picturesque drives, the raging river, the haunting moon, diverse wildlife, exceptional company, Dillon’s anticipation, Kenneth’s incomparable hospitality and Alya’s smile, no Mahseer could compete with this. Angling is just about being there, how true.

From the bottom of my heart, Thank you Kenneth.

Last edited by Bobby on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Post subject: Just Fantastic
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 pm 
    Enlightened

Hey Bobby,

Fqntastic report and some really good locations.

Keep it coming

Post subject: Re
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:42 pm 
    Fishaholic

Congrats bobby on your Masheer.
    Thats one wonder full write up. It was fun and exciting reading the write up reminds me of reading one off Jim Corbetts ordels with the masheer.
    Thanks for sharing the Pics. [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:12 pm 
    Fishaholic

Hey! Fantastic write up mate. Made me go right back and relive the two days.

I looked up a good bird book and found out that was a Palla's Fishing Eagle.

The White stripe on the tail was a clear give away.

Thanks for all the compliments Bobby. Honestly it was a pleasure making this trip with you and Dillon. Alya still has not stopped talking about him and she's still giggling.

Poonam and I have to really thank you for looking after her and being so patient.

We are all looking forward to March/April. Then we'll get the big ones... Hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:34 pm 
    Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
    we did not take a good camera to document the trip and had to make do with a phone camera.

Excellent photographs for a "phone camera", Bobby.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 pm 
    Fishaholic

Gr8 narration and pics...for Alya - like father, like daughter :)
    Congrats to her for the Mahseer.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:42 pm 
    Fishaholic

Excellent photos and equally interesting write up.
    Keep it up.

Ravi

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:36 pm 
    Fishaholic

Quality post! Great to read Bobby, any fishing trip can't be anything but special [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Regards,
    Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
    Fishaholic

Great write-up, Bob. Was a pleasure reading and checking the pics ... And from experience, it is always special to fish with the Augustine family... Even though, the lil one always catches more than the so-called experience anglers :lol: :lol:

Tight Lines,
    GRC

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 pm 
    Fishaholic

Nice fish Bobby, Thanks for sharing your Experience

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:38 pm 
    Enlightened

Amazin.I just love the way you have put this trip in words here for us....

Some really nice pics... Yeh if ken takes me on a trip with him... I too would love to write a few stories...

@ ken I have not yet caught any good looking fish...
    And if we talk about size .... I have caught some crazy ugly sea snakes..
    Long but not good... When do we go for an amazing short trip..???

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 am 
    Fishaholic

Thanks Guys,

I am glad some of you actually read this long post and enjoyed it. In over 30 years of angling this was my first proper freshwater trip so you can understand my excitement, it was an epic for me so I had to document it properly and tried to paint a picture of what I saw, experienced and how I felt and the hours past.

It was a trip I enjoyed immensely, thanks to Kenneth. I would have been fantastic to catch a good sized Mahseer but the fact that we did not was really inconsequential. Honestly I really wanted Dillon to catch one more than me.

Kenneth, Alya was awesome, you took care of her 95% of the time anyway, having her around was a real treat.

Hawkeye, I was surprized as well when I uploaded the pictures from the phone to the PC, Dillon is a pretty good photographer some of the pictures he has taken with his camera are really good, but I did not expect pictures like this from his phone. His camera got busted when he when down to Tioman on a scuba diving trip last month. My camera fell into seawater a couple of months ago and if forgot to take my daughters camera when we left.

Gavin, you did come up in the discussion on the trip as to why you left Delhi, we conculded it had something to do with a bar of chocolate in Cal :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Can some one tell me that fish we call "Patthar Chatti" is there a another local/indian name for this fish? I was reading up and found out that "Patthar Chatti" is also andother name for Kalbanse in certain parts of North India like Kumaon.

Patthar Chatta on the other hand Glyptothorax annandalei is a small kind of catfish.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 pm 
    Fishaholic

Bobby,

That was a nice article and I personally wished that you had at least latched onto a mahseer for the thrill of it.

By the way, don't worry about those large sardars - they are really quite gentle and likable. I should know, I am one!

Kind regards,

Kingfish

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:00 pm 
    Fishaholic

Nice trip report, Bobby. The place is beautiful. I think that timing could be an issue with Mahseer strikes being directly proportional to the water temperature! I want to be there next April. Will keep you all posted.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:51 am 

Great Article Dad.. looking forwards to our next trip

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:30 am 
    Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
    Bobby,

That was a nice article and I personally wished that you had at least latched onto a mahseer for the thrill of it.

By the way, don't worry about those large sardars - they are really quite gentle and likable. I should know, I am one!

Kind regards,

Kingfish

Thanks Mate, I sure would have wished I have hooked into a Mahseer, after all that was the reason to travel all the way from Hong Kong in the first place, but I look at it like this, I have all the more reason to go there again.

I have a lot of Sardar friends, all sweet guys, in fact I was invited to a proper 7 day Sikh wedding in Nangal (Punjab) which happed a couple of weeks before this trip but I could not attend ....however, I was there holding that heavy iron gate :lol: :lol: :lol: I would rather not test anyone's temperament over a crash test :lol: :wink:

Thanks Ashok., may be we will meet up some time.
    Thanks Dillon...sure will.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm 
    Fishaholic

Nice Report Bobby. Like MM said quality stuff. I agree, a trip to that place is spiritual indeed!!

Jeen

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:40 pm 
    Fishaholic

Very nice report Bobby, after long time a very refreshing quality post. Thanks for sharing and congrats to you all.

Santosh

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:54 pm 
    Fishaholic

Fantastic report Bobs. Congrats for the mahseer caught and happy fishing.

PS: Our common friend recently went to Devgad and caught 1 queenfish 15kgs, 1 khajura and a couple of mangrove jacks.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:51 pm 
    Fishaholic

Quote:
    Gavin, you did come up in the discussion on the trip as to why you left Delhi, we conculded it had something to do with a bar of chocolate in Cal

Am sure Mken was complaining about what a pain in the arse I was :lol: :lol:
    And what is this "bar of chocolate" :shock: :shock:

GRC

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm 

What an excellent read...inspirational stuff...

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:11 am 
    Fishaholic

Hi Bob,
    Great reading!!
    Are you a fan of David Ogilvy?
    Fantastic pics for a phone camera, which one is it?
    Syd.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:37 am 
    Fishaholic

Thanks all for the wonderful, appreciative and inspirational comments

Gavin, actually Kenneth had surprisingly :lol: :lol: only good things to say about you. In the this case the "Bar of Chocolate" was a "Double entendre" :badgrin: :badgrin:

Sydney, I had to Google for David Ogilvy not heard of him, why do you ask if I am a fan?
    The phone was an IPhone 4.

Abhi, Thanks but I got to ask, are you sure you read the post mate :lol:? Please confess :lol:
    Yes I heard about the Large Queen, Barra and MJ’s spoke to him yesterday.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:32 am 
    Fishaholic

Gavin! Mate! You a 'pain in the arse'? No way mate. Those lucky chaddis make you more of a pain in the olfactory system.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:11 am 
    Fishaholic

Hi Bob,

David Ogilvy was the guru of advertising, he was the one who propagated long copy,and believed that people did read long copy, though many did not agree with him. He proved them wrong.

Bob, we enjoyed reading your essay!!.

Syd.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm 
    Fishaholic

Fantastic post Bobby,

congratulations to all of you. Really enjoyed reading every bit of your posts.

regards,
    Keyur

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:28 pm 
    Fishaholic

I have experience the hospitality of Mr. gentleman aka Ken and know it is a joy to fish with him and guys like Dhruve.

This report is but a shadow of how north mahseer hunt inspire the ever restless sole of us anglers. :P

Somehow, one can truly experience the spiritual aspect of Angling, while wandering in search of a Mahseer in North.

A very nice and inspirational report Bobby and congratulations for experiencing the joy of Mahseer hunting. You were more lucky than me that Alya was also with you for this trip. The girl is an amazing talent and her understanding of wild, specially birds is something extraordinary.

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:57 pm 
    Fishaholic

Quote:
    Gavin! Mate! You a 'pain in the arse'? No way mate. Those lucky chaddis make you more of a pain in the olfactory system

Quote:
    Gavin, actually Kenneth had surprisingly only good things to say about you.

[smilie=madking.gif] [smilie=madking.gif] Come to think of it, I had those chaddis on when I caught the Linear..
    @Mken - Some of the best fishing experiences I have had going with you mate... Just make a bugger feel at home.. Thanks Mate...
    @Bobby - Get your HK arse down here sometime, mate..

Tight Lines,
    GRC

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:59 am 
    Fishaholic

Nice report, nice pics and nice tackle

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:40 am 
    Fishaholic

Thanks again.

You are right Ali, words can only paint a fragment of what it was actually being there and living it. Can't wait for the next trip, it promises to be even more remote and enchanting.

Gavin, now that the son is old enough and more importantly his mother feels he safely can travel with me without her supervision, I intend to hit a few spots around India when I can make the time and experience what is like being there as well. Cochin, The Andamans, Lakshadweep, Kashmir (if I can), Cal - Bengal, Gujarat and now Mangalore, thanks to Ravi’s post and off course fishing the Konkan. The thing is getting the son off from school. I want to show my children what our country has to offer by way of some really diverse fishing among other things.

I should also get my paperwork cleared this month so I can start my deep-sea fishing adventures around India again. So as far as fishing goes things are begining to look rozy again. Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:04 pm 
    Fishaholic

superb report bobby fab pictures too congrats to you all cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Last edited by rajatmukherje on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm 
    Fishaholic

Bobster - you and your family are most welcome here anytime...

GRC

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 pm 
    Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
    and off course fishing the Konkan.
    Bobby

Let us know Bobby.. :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:19 am 
    Fishaholic

Thanks Gavin, as are you, most welcome to my place in Hong Kong.

Santosh, sure will mate, if not for fishing we must catch up for a chat at least. I will be in Bombay on the 18th this month and back on the 25th or the 27th or the 2nd depending on how things pan out. Given a very tight schedule I will not be able to do any serious fishing down the Konkan but plan to hit some of the old worn-out spots like Mhad, Manori etc and catch some invsible fish.

Besides my brother will be in town and its been over 10 years that we have not fished together so I am looking forward to this. Catching a fish will be secondary but a huge Christmas Bonus if we do. And I have to save one day for fishing with the entire clan, all my little nephews and nieces are looking forward to a days fishing with Uncle Bobby :lol: :lol: .

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 am 
    Fishaholic

Hi 'UNCLE' Bobby

Me along with a friend of mine had been to Karwar about 45 days ago to check out for 'potential fishing spots'.
    While there we hired bicycles to run around from place to place. (just imagine a couple of mad guys with suspicious looking long tubular 'thing' with back packs cycling along the konkan coast!!!!!!!).
    There sure were good fishing spots, but the time we went it was still raining and we could not do any fishing. the Karwar harbour break waters was one of the places.
    We went as far as Gokarna (by bus), Om Beach - another nice place to fish from. Here we witnessed fishermen laying the net in the bay and manually dragging it ashore to yield about 2 tons :roll: :roll: :roll: of small fish. Mullets, Sardines, tube mouth, prawns, squids, small reef sharks and few more varieties of fish which we were unable to identify.
    We then proceeded to Devebagh, a place I am sure, fished during the correct time would be very very interesting. It is an estuary from where you can fish for Barramundi, Barracuda, Jack............ It sure was a wonderful place and very near to Margao (i think about 40 Kms). If time permits please give this place a try (and keep us informed too). Jungle lodges have a resort here by the sea side, approached by boat.

All the best.

Ravi

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 am 
    Fishaholic

Lovely report Bobby. I enjoyed reading every word of it, and some nice pictures you got there!!

Regards,
    Binu

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:35 am 
    Fishaholic

Thanks Binu, Glad you liked it.

Ravi, I have fished Karwar, and OK I will spill the beans. Apparently you need to contact some local boatman to take you out fishing there if you want something truly special. The GTs are among the largest you will see anywhere. They call these Ghoda Konkar (as in horse) they catch them using floated plastic barrels baited. They easy reach 3 figures, and some unbelievable weights.

There was also a reward there for the 1st Fisherman to catch yellowfin tuna, this was a few years ago when I used to do Deep Sea trips and this is how we ran into this info etc. There are some knowledgeable and cunning folk there and you need to be tactful when dealing with them or they will grossly over charge you. There are even some tour small boats available and if you get the right guy you can enjoy some good fishing. Quiz them to make sure they know what they say they do.

I want to make a trip there on my next Konkan run to go after these Enormous GTs.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 pm 
    Fishaholic

Bobs,

Indeed you made me read the entire report. Now I can surely figure out the splendid experience you all must have got. Truely an awesome adventure. Congrats to Alya for her first mahseer. Didnt you try some spoons over there for mahseer? Coz they equally love spoons. I have caught majority of mahseers on copper, brass and silver homemade spoons.

Post subject: wonderful trip
    PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 am 
    Enlightened

Hey Booby,
    That looked like a great trip.Really nice report.Enjoyed reading it very much.Super photographs.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:05 am 
    Fishaholic

Abhi,

Dillon did try spoons, I did not, I tampered with a rubber shad, no luck. I did manage to land someone's spinner though and have that in my kit now.

Godfrey,

I have got to thank Dillon for those photographs, he is a qood photographer, if only his camera was not busted, I am sure we would have some more and even better ones. Shooting with the phone is not easy, I tried taking a few and messed them up.

Bobby

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:01 am 
    Fishaholic

Even I tried a few of spoons, medium Toby, a Lil Cleo and a local one we call Clacutta. But no strikes or even taps. I think it was one of those days where they were completely off the feed.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 pm 
    Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Your trip sounds so fullfilling and Ken's company is excellent!!

Cheers

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:44 am 
    Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
    Thanks Binu, Glad you liked it.

Ravi, I have fished Karwar, and OK I will spill the beans. Apparently you need to contact some local boatman to take you out fishing there if you want something truly special. The GTs are among the largest you will see anywhere. They call these Ghoda Konkar (as in horse) they catch them using floated plastic barrels baited. They easy reach 3 figures, and some unbelievable weights.

There was also a reward there for the 1st Fisherman to catch yellowfin tuna, this was a few years ago when I used to do Deep Sea trips and this is how we ran into this info etc. There are some knowledgeable and cunning folk there and you need to be tactful when dealing with them or they will grossly over charge you. There are even some tour small boats available and if you get the right guy you can enjoy some good fishing. Quiz them to make sure they know what they say they do.

I want to make a trip there on my next Konkan run to go after these Enormous GTs.

Bobbby....................any more beans in your bag? (like a boat man contact, exact locations etc etc).

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm 
    Fishaholic

Hi Binu,

It was a long time back and I had about 3 persons numbers, unfortunately, they were lost with my phone.

Bobby

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:09 pm 
    Fishaholic

Ah.. nice read Bobby. Its something to do with that area of Rishikesh and Uttranchal and you had great company with you.

Keep on doin it..

-Inder

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:15 pm 
    Fishaholic

Hi Bobbychyma,

My apologies to all for resurrecting a ghost here, I just saw a fish in your post "tale of two rivers" that you called Indian Trout. In my post above, I have posted a picture of a fish I called “Phattar Chatti” (I know that this name also applies to the Kalabaz) but drew parallels with this fish and Barbel. I am not very familiar with fresh water species, however I like to believe that I have a very good eye when it comes to identifying fishes. I could not help but notice the similarities between the fish you called Indian Trout and what I called Phattar Chatti. However looking at the pictures could you clarify if these are one and the same fish and what is the correct name?

Bobby

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 pm 
    Fishaholic

hey bobby

what you caught is called barbel locally but its actually a schizothorax which is an endemic fish species belonging to the same family Cyprinidae , as barbels and carp.

there are many species of schizo's all across the trans himalayan watershed and are considered good table fare by locals.....not so much by others due to their "bony" and "hard" meat.

i have hooked various species included the snow trout, indian trout etc...not much of an expert but these guys are all over the place in high altitude glacial rivers ...and they LOVE my nymphs :) :) :)

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 pm 
    Fishaholic

beautiful clicks..! congratulation

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:04 pm 
    Fishaholic

Beautiful pics Bobby :P

Interesting read :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:46 am 
    Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby,

I did not actually catch this fish, no one did. My son had one of his lures stuck into the rocks which we broke off, so the next day Kenneth went looking for it when the water was shallow, this fish too the lure overnight while it was swaying in the current.

We did eat that fish the flesh was very soft in texture and pleasant and there were not too many bones, but it lacked any real flavour, I wonder if being hooked all night in a current and finding it almost dead the next day contributed to the apparent lack of flavour. The guys at the camp site however told us that this was one of the tastiest fish in the river.

Thanks Arish and Whitesnapper, all those pictures were taken with an iPhone 4.

Regards,

Bobby