->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 am 
Enlightened

Hi Everyone,

just came back from a two months trip to Indonesia, and of course tried to catch some fish there.

Arrived in Bali didn`t like Bali and decided to go and have a look at the Island of Sumbawa. Find before some information about this place on the internet. And met up with members from a trail-bike and GT fishing club in Maluk. This to sports fitting good together in Sumbawa because the islands south coast, where the GTs are hanging out, is nearly not populated and the roads are very rough.

Was friendly welcomed there and they helped me with a lot of info's.
So we started planing the first trip to their favourite spot for landbased GT fishing. It was a bit of adventure to go there, 8 rivers can be already crossed by bridges but still 3 was left with no bridge. Seven Years ago when they started to explore this spot it must have been real adventure, with no bridges at all.

When we finally arrived at the spot we see at the first moment that here will be no fishing possible because the swell was massive. and every 15 minutes when the set (how the surfers call it) was hitting the rocks it was pure mayhem. But we decided to stay and see what the next day will bring. After unloading the gear from the car we decided to go and have a look around for a spot where fishing is possible. Which turned later out as not a really good idea.

We we was standing already for a while in the middle of a approx. 40m wide rock plateau it suddenly happened. For long time the waves was not hitting over the edge, then one came that was more high than the other waves before but still our position was looking very safe.

And then it happened the next wave crashed on the rocks. With no chance to run away i was taking position to face the water but there was no chance. See my two friends getting crashed by the wave and in the next second i was also taken by the water. There was no chance to hold anywhere it was just to strong after 20 m i was luckily to get stuck to a rock and could also see my friends next to me. Was very scaring getting taken away by the water because i had known for sure when the water will take one of us down from the rocks in the see there would have been no chance. And compared to the very few people fishing in this area there have been already a lot of deaths.

But we was luckily coming away with only a few cuts. We also could find the fishing rods again, but some other gear like my glasses and the camera was taken by the sea.

We didn`t make a single cast on this trip but learned a very important lesson.

Soon part 2 of the trip report will be only.

Take care when rockfishing!

all the best, markus

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by madvento on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:22 am 
Fishaholic

Insane!!!!

Chief keep safe whilst you are fishing else the fish you released into the sea will be feasting on you. Please take care and return safe and yes make sure you enjoy the sport as there is definitely a better catch tomorrow (if you survive)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey markus,

Bring on part two bro! sounds like a great fishing place and can't wait to hear the rest!! enjoy kl man..sounds like you should make a break for it and catch a few toman or kelah!!

speak soon, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Markus you luck really lucky looking at those jagged rocks gives me the creeps so much for fish......ah.I guess more men may have got hurt looking for fish then fightin over women ha ha ha...Take care and if you back in Bali dont forget to visit the "ENGINE ROOM"`poppies 3 a stiff Arrak attack will get up back into hi Spirits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Brilliant! Who needs fish when you have such a journey.

Long time ago a rally driver told me to 'drive dangerously but not foolishly'. That's the way to go through life mate.

cheers and stay safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:36 am 
Fishaholic

You had a close shave.

Take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome back Markus, from your close encounter.

Guys, this is only a small example of how unsafe it could become while fishing from the rocks, piers etc..
Do take care.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:27 pm 
Fishaholic

A very exciting and informative report. This report once again illustrate that utmost care is required while fishing from the rocks.

Marcus, the photos are beautiful and I can imagine the thrill of the journey.

Man that wave and subsequent moments must have been scary. Thank god nothing serious happened.

Take care and best of luck.

Ali. :P