->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing in Mumbai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:30 pm 

Hi Guy's.

Long time since I had time to be here.

I have managed to gain myself another business trip across to Mumbai this coming weekend and wantd some advice on where I can go fishing. Obviousley with the recent event I would be looking for fresh water rather than surf.

Only problem is I will not be able to travel with any angling gear and I wondered if there was anywhere that I could fish where I can hire the essentials from. Failing this can you point me in the direction of shops in Mumbai ( I will be staying in the Andheri area) where I can pick up a cheap rod and reel along with terminal tackle

I would be able to be out on Saturday for a day - only time I have off during this trip.

Cheer

Nocky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there,

A brief introduction will help you a lot.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 pm 

Hi Ali,

I had posted on the introductions forum however I do appriciate that it was a long time back - http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Just a recap.

I am based in Dubai and make fairly regular trips across to India in all areas.
I have been fishing for the last 5 years all fresh water fishing and mainly fish for Tench and Carp back in the UK.

I have never got the lines wet in India and I would never call myself an expert angler hence the reason I find usiing forums and and asking questions the easiest way to learn.

Since I first joined IA back in Febuary I have not posted as I have been over whelmed with work (and a little fishing) in other areas of the world.

Unfortunatley my trips do come at fairly short notice so I am unable to give much warning as to when I will be travelling but I normally make 1 trip a month.

My thoughts are I can either hire fishing gear whilst in India at various locations (if any available) or I can purchase a economical tackle box and rod and leave in my office.

Any advice on where and when lakes in Mumbai can be fished and also the legalities of licences etc would be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Nocky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

I do not think you will be able to hire tackles any where in India. Purchasing them is an option and you can contact IA for the same. The only freshwater lake, where you can fish in Mumbai is Powai . Unfortunately day tickets are not available and the only way you can fish there is as a guest of a member. I will not be free on Saturday but there are other members who can accommodate you. In case you can fish on Sunday, I will be happy to invite you for a day of fishing with me. :P

In case you are fishing in Powai, you will not require any tackles as we can spare one for you. Try Santosh, Rajat or Fredd as they may be fishing Powai on Saturday.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 pm 

Hi Ali

Regretably I will not be Avila le on Sunday as this is completely taken up with meetings however I graciously thank you for your offer and would love to take you up on the offer next time I am in town which I believe will be just after eid. If anyone is fishing on Saturday give me a shout and I can pop down and introduce myself in person. And maybe get a few pointers on the area.
X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi nocky,

I will be fishing at powai lake on Saturday, pls feel free to join me.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:22 pm 

Hi Santosh,

I would love to pop down and see the water and meet with you.

What time will you be there and can you PM me your number so I can call you should i get lost.

I will be staying near Andheri

Many thanks

Nocky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Nocky,

I will be at the powai lake from morning till evening. I will Pm you the location and my cell #

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:28 pm 

Fantastic news

I am really looking forward to seeing a different side to India away from the main office blocks.

A big thank you to all who have made me feel so welcome in such a short time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 am 
Fishaholic

HI Paul,

was just wondering if you were Paul Derek by any chance ?

anyway, whats with the Nocky ? Have you been fishing around Dubai ? The kingfish season a little over a month away.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:08 pm 

Hi,

No the name is Paul Nock.

Nocky is just a nickname I have had since school.

Not had chance to head out in Dubai yet

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 am 

Hi Nocky,

I've been in Mumbai for a couple of months now, and I manage to get in some fishing on the weekends.

From what I've seen, there's good fishing to be done in and around the Worli Sea Face. I've seen locals catch decent fish (including catfish) in those waters, by simple casting from the rocks on the seaface.

They use chicken intestines and worms for bait and they seem to be doing good for themselves. I myself have experienced a few bites, but am yet to land a fish of my own.. But as I mentioned before I've seen a lot of locals catch good fish on a regular basis, so its worth a try.

Edited as it contained information about commercial nature. Please read the forum rules before you start posting. It would also be proper to introduce yourself.

Think about it... :)

take care...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:27 am 
Fishaholic

@ rohit1987 ............... :arrow: ................. The Devil is always in the Detail

A majority of shop owners there have never used any of the stuff they sell to gullible new anglers at exhorbitant rates :shock:

Do you know that one can also get Quality stuff at INDIAN ANGLERS ONLINE STORE on this forum delivered at your doorstep ????
CHECK IT OUT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:40 am 

"Edited as it contained information about commercial nature. Please read the forum rules before you start posting"??

I just mentioned a good place to buy fishing equipment from, where's the 'commerciality' in that? I'd love the moderator of this thread to take this up with me over email....

Edited

cheers

rohit1987 wrote:
Hi Nocky,

I've been in Mumbai for a couple of months now, and I manage to get in some fishing on the weekends.

From what I've seen, there's good fishing to be done in and around the Worli Sea Face. I've seen locals catch decent fish (including catfish) in those waters, by simple casting from the rocks on the seaface.

They use chicken intestines and worms for bait and they seem to be doing good for themselves. I myself have experienced a few bites, but am yet to land a fish of my own.. But as I mentioned before I've seen a lot of locals catch good fish on a regular basis, so its worth a try.

Edited as it contained information about commercial nature. Please read the forum rules before you start posting. It would also be proper to introduce yourself.

Think about it... :)

take care...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Rohit,

Dude you have been a member of this forum from 2009 so I presume you know something about it. The person who runs this site does it on his own and with his own funds. Yet you FIRST POST is about buying equipment from some store where ever it might be.

I want you to understand that the only place selling equipment on this forum is the IA shoppe. This is the only place you can promote, advertise or recommend. If you have a problem with this then too bad. Just to make things clear this also includes hotels, boats and the rest.

What you can do is sell your personal gear. But here to there are a few norms that you have to follow. Like making sure you have a price mentioned.

What is really upsetting and in a way down right rude is that you have been lurking around here for a year or more. Never have you contributed anything. Not even a polite introduction.

I suggest you get down to that first before questioning things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:08 am 

Hi Ken,

Wow you're really uptight about this forum aren't you?

"The only place you can promote, advertise or recommend is the IAshop"

I'm not trying to 'promote' any store or make any money out of anything FYI.

Clearly you (and maybe the others) don't hold competition, and just getting the 'best deal' in the highest regard do you?

And FYI again, I haven't been 'lurking' anywhere... I've barely read anything on the forum (and from what I've read, I admit the forum seems to be a very useful resource), and I haven't posted anything since I wasn't in touch with fishing as I wasn't near a water body for the past year.

And again, I just don't understand your rudeness about wanting me to 'introduce myself'. It seems you're downright paranoid about IA members and want to run background checks on them for some reason.

You need to get your attitude right, and realize that I wasn't trying to create any trouble here. I was simply trying to help a fellow angler in need.

I recommend you first think about what really matters (helping people, and especially fellow anglers however best they can be helped) rather than first thinking about "how to make money off your fellow angler".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rohit,

Rules are rules. Either you abide by it or you leave the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for all the advice Rohit.

Here's some from me. Since you want to help people so badly I suggest you start an NGO. With your wonderful sense of what is right and wrong I am sure you will be great at it.

In the meantime read the rules. If you don't agree with them leave the forum. I don't think you will be missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Rohit,

Appreciate you taking so much time in writing a long post. An advise to you is to read the forum rules and regulations. Its about norms you need to follow and yes if you don't accept, you know what is best for you. Its not about buying and selling always. Should you be so interested in helping someone so much you better get in touch with him in person. That way you stick to the norms of the forum. The forum is not forcing you to buy tackle from its shop but at the same time you are NOT allowed to promote / mention anything of commercial interest other than IA.

Hope that helps. FYI I don't mean to be rude its just an advice. Let us be bothered about the things that matter the most. No one out there is questioning your modesty dude. You have a good weekend ahead :)

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

rohit1987 wrote:
I wasn't in touch with fishing as I wasn't near a water body for the past year.

rohit
looks like you lost touch of many more things rude dude
Fishing teaches an Angler two things : PATIENCE and RESPECT
PATIENCE : in a sense one doesn't catch any fish he patiently evaluates his setup and ponders where{location} ,when{tide & timing} ,how {causes} & what{ technique } was wrong in the trip and after correcting it patiently returns again and again getting better results

RESPECT : For Mother Nature, its surroundings ,environment and Respect for fellow Anglers

Your above post seems to lack both :evil:
Please respect the RULES of the Forum and SUGGESTIONS of SENIOR ANGLERS
Some of us are fishing long before you decided in which hand you were going to hold that ugly stick
before you get any thoughts FYI ugly stik is a fishing rod from a reputed brand

We at INDIAN ANGLER are one big family, we respect and value the suggestions of senior anglers even if they scold us we don't mind
and you are most welcome just ride by the rules and give respect you certainly shall get some
all in good faith :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:37 am 
Fishaholic

Hey! I think we should end this discussion. I am sure Rohit1987 has understood what we were trying to get across.

Thanks people. And no hard feelings everyone.

Let's get on with the fishing.

cheers