->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:32 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Okhla Barrage
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Once again need advise...

I went with my friend scouting for a suitable place to fish on Yamuna (Delhi).
Visited the Okhla Barrage from Noida side...though there was no guard that we encountered on the "bird sanctuary" road...and we did find few places ideal for fishing...and did observe some massive bubbles which we attributed to fish (cat)...However, at the end of the road (which joins the road coming from Kalindikunj to Noida), we met few ppl who told us that fishing is not allowed there and if caught there will be a fine and stuff...
- Any idea whether there is any scope of getting a license here???

Then we went to another spot...there is a road opposite the Mayur Vihar metro station which ends at our exciting Yamuna...the water was as clear as black gold :)....seems atleast one attempt can be made...but was wondering on availability of anything there...moreover there is no shade there...
- Anyone...any idea about this place?

And lastly...I found a place where some boats were parked...ones which (I am assuming) are used for fishing...
- was wondering if anyone has tried these???

Thanks - MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:48 am 
Fishaholic

Hey MM!

Stay away from Okhla Barrage. There is nothing alive in that water.

What you call "BLACK GOLD" is actually Black Garbage.

Do a google search for the state of the Yamuna. That last survey showed that it 0% oxygen. And about a million time the permitted level of crap.

If you want to fish the yamuna go up stream, beyond Wazirabad. Once the river enters Delhi it turns into a drain.

Also burn all the tackle you dipped into the water.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Mahaseerken...there goes my dream of being lazy and having a place right next where I can fish....

Well, Wazirabad was one of the options given by one of my friends...will explore and post :)

Tc...MM

Post subject: Re: Okhla Barrage
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

MM wrote:
Hi Guys,

...and did observe some massive bubbles which we attributed to fish (cat)..

Thanks - MM

Most probably the bubbles were handiwork of some Turtles stirring up the decomposing (and not very decomposing :twisted: ) waste on the bottom.

They are the other reason why Ken avoid these places. :P :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:08 am 
Fishaholic

hahaahahahahaahahaa

Alibhai, I wish there were turtle there. The bubbles are most probably toxic gases being released from the muck underneath.

And anyway I have passed the Toitle Jinx to a good friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 am 
Fishaholic

hmmmm... i wonder who this "good friend" is that you are referring to :p

So i went to the Bahti mines on Sunday . Went geared with carp tackle and a few spinners. There are 5 lakes in that place. Saw some huge carp in the first one and set up tackle early in the morning, and got quite a few nibbles. The lake is loaded with carp i think, didn't see much else. But, unfortunately before i could catch anything ( a good thing in hindsight) i heard some villagers discussing about how they wanted to catch us with fish, etc., so i quickly wrapped up my tackle and sweet talked my way out of trouble. Don't think it would have been so easy if i had in fact caught a fish !!!However, also got some useful info, because the villagers said that the second lake was a free lake, in which there was no issue to fish. Don't know if there are any fish in that, but definitely plan to check it out next time around.

MM want to accompany me for that next weekend maybe? Ken you on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

Even I keep looking at the Yamuna barrage area as a nearby spot to hit. but the river is really bad, I have been to the Hindon barrage with just one catch in years. There are a lot of handliners who keep pulling fingerlings out. Have seen some fish there in the winter.
The bhatti mines seems like a good idea if the locals are okay. The first lake must be on contract and that is why they would want to beat the sh*** out of any angler. Would like to give it a try. Misplaced your number long ago, please to pm if you can.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

I am game for it...and I hope there are more of us ( 4 to 5 atleast) :), hopefully should be able to manage the ppl there.

I will PM you my number.

Regards,
Mohit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:31 pm 

@ MM :- Lets plan it for coming Saturday... any one interested ?? Please PM me or MM ... thanks,

Post subject: google map?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:02 pm 
Enlightened

hi could anyone please share the location of the second lake, bhatti mines on google map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:20 pm 
Fishaholic

we have not been to that place...I also heard that there may be local trouble. So go only with an experienced person and a local.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:26 pm 
Enlightened

thnks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Over this last week, I have spotted fish being sold over the Kalindi bridge. Some footlong I assume Rohu and a lot of small fish, the type you fry in batches. So it seems like the river has fish but no telling how lethal. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Right now the water is good in Okhla and a lot of fish. Meet the Bata shop owner in Okhla Village, who carries "desi" tackle for guidance......

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:55 pm 
Enlightened

anybody planing to go???????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Suggest anyone intending to go must pick up a permit, from somewhere near Majnu ka tilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Damn this weekend was looking good but don't have the permit. Sam how about Hindon? That place normally has a tekedar who lets you fish with a permit for about Rs.10. It is normally safer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:33 pm 
Fishaholic

dev wrote:
Damn this weekend was looking good but don't have the permit. Sam how about Hindon? That place normally has a tekedar who lets you fish with a permit for about Rs.10. It is normally safer.

Dev, heard of Mangur there,unless its another place and there is no road to reach the spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Let me know if you plan to go there :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

samsondhi wrote:
dev wrote:

Dev, heard of Mangur there,unless its another place and there is no road to reach the spot.

Yes it should be the same spot and the road was getting dug up and all kinda strange things were happening. I had caught a small magur there long ago with Asif.

MM apologies for this weekend, have to practice for a qualification match.
What I am thinking is that if one of us can, he should pick up three or four permits from Majnu ka tila, then we can atleast do some muddy water fishing this winter. Another nearby spot would be Masoodpur, the river is clean and the view is also nice (atleast it was some years ago), we could go this winter, make a kind of fishing gang, carry a bit of lunch and enjoy the outdoors.

If we get fish then that's the icing on the cake. Saw fingerlings, lots of them last year at the Hindon barrage, we mistook them as tadpoles at first, then we saw that they were beautiful silver fingerlings. Maybe some have grown up now :-).

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Sure...lets work something out...Where's Masoodpur?