->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:06 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm 

I joined Indian Angler several months ago looking for information about possible places to fish after moving from the UK to Bangladesh. I was pointed in the direction of Mr Lakhyaman’s thread about his fishery and added a couple of comments and was very pleasantly surprised when he got in touch and invited me to spend a weekend sampling the fishing at his lake on a tea estate. I promised to write up our trip as a report for the forum and the results are below.

We arrived around lunch time on Friday just after a downpour, and began fishing. Although a few fish showed on the surface from time to time the action was decidedly slow. Lakhyaman explained that tea grows in very acid soils, meaning that run-off following heavy rain lowers the lake’s pH, and puts fish off the feed. Although we fished until late, all that resulted was a rohu and a mrigal, each around 2kg, both of which fell to the rod of Mr Lakhyaman’s brother in law.

The most exciting event of the evening was when one of Lakhyaman’s rods was dragged into the water and towed halfway across the lake (we suspected a large Pangas catfish to be the culprit). The rod was recovered with the aid of a large treble hook, and after some time spent untangling a large bird’s nest the fish was found to be still attached, but it made a bee-line for a large sunken branch and managed to free itself.

The next morning in order to raise the pH to a more fish friendly level Lakhyaman ordered his staff to carry out the most unusual ground-baiting campaign I have ever heard of - namely dumping 800kg of lime into the lake by boat!!

I have to admit to being somewhat doubtful about whether this tactic would pay off quickly enough to yield results in the time we had left, but when we resumed fishing after a leisurely breakfast the change was immediately apparent – the litmus paper indicated a rise in pH, fish were visibly more active, and the bites began immediately.

At this point I should mention briefly the tackle that we were using as it was, to me anyway, somewhat unusual, being a sort of fusion of Bengali and British equipment and methods.

This consisted of a 12 or 13 foot float rod coupled to a fly fishing reel, with a sliding peacock quill float that cocked against a stop-knot tied with rubber band. A small running weight was used to pin the bait to the deck and hold the float in position, and a very short soft braided hooklink completed the setup. We fished just beyond the rod tip, giving sensitive bite indication and good sport whenever a fish was hooked

This was not long in coming, and another of Lakhyamn’s guests was the first in with a lively rohu of a kilo or so. This signalled the start of a hectic period of activity, and Mr Mintu, another fishing friend was next in line finding himself attached to a good catla which stripped yards of line off a lightly set clutch, and rounded a bend in the lake, forcing him to take to the water in a boat in order to land it.

I followed with my first ever kalabaush which put up a lively scrap after being hooked just under the rod tip on a bunch of ant eggs. Not to be outdone Mr Lakhyamn followed up with a run of fish that included a nice brace of mrigal, the biggest catla of the day at around 5kg, and a couple of small but very spirited rohu.

All in all it was a fantastic weekend and I’m very grateful to Indian Angler for making the connection possible, and of course especially to Mr Lakhyaman for kindly inviting me to sample the fishing and being such a generous host

Beano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pics. they were awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for sharing your wonderful moments beano
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 pm 

Very well written. This has to be one of the best written reports ever. thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

AWESOME, WOW, TOO GOOD A PLACE TO FISH. HOPE TO OWN SUCH A LOVELY ROMANTIC PLACE. Mr Lakhyaman I wish I could come there and join you in fishing. The place, The Fish and the GIN they all looked good. Please would you mind uploading some more pictures on this place that you own. It is indeed a lovely fishing ground.

Thanks for the report Beano.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 pm 
Fishaholic

yes off course a very nice report. I am dreaming of angling in such a place.

thanks for sharing

Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Beano
That was a really excellent report,with excellent photographs. The place seems to be very nice as nice as the man "Lakhyaman" :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Fantastic report mate.

I just love the thought of having your own personal fishing hole.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:46 pm 

Good show Beano. Keep on doin it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Fantastic report mate.

I just love the thought of having your own personal fishing hole.

cheers

Dont we all mate ... dont we all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:20 pm 

Fred !!?? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulations on a very nice weekend you had and the fishes landed. Really IA is one of the best fishing hole an angler can dream of.

Regards,

Ali.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 am 
Fishaholic

Awesome... congrats to all you guys, for making these things happen. We need more of this networking, so we can have many Happily Fishing members at IA. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 am 
Enlightened

Thanks to Indian Angler for allowing me to have the wonderful company of Mr. Beano (he's got me down as Mr. Lakhyaman for some reason so I thought I had better address him as Mr. as well) for a weekend of fishing. Apart from being a perfect guest. the exchange of ideas that was possible was to me the highlight of the trip. We did catch a few fish!

I am posting a few pictures from my camera as well (though of doubtful quality).

ImageMrigal on the end of a line

ImageMrigal

ImageFish on

ImageFish lost and Mintu with the eternal desolation of the angler who has been cheated of his catch on his face

ImageCatla coming to the net

ImageCatla

As always the invitation to fish here remains open to all Indian Anglers although I may be a little slow in replying at times. This is due to the fact that I spend a lot of time beyond the reach of the internet!

Kapil Chandok sent me a pm to which I replied only four months later! I apologize to him yet again for my delay and hope he and all of you will do me the honour of visiting me sometime soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:36 am 
Enlightened

How does one edit one's posts? I can't find the edit button anywhere!

Thanks to all for there kind comments on Beano and my fishing weekend.

All the best

Chagaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Mr B congrats of a such fine trip and report :lol: [smilie=coolup.gif]
lakhyaman wrote:
How does one edit one's posts? I can't find the edit button anywhere!

Thanks to all for there kind comments on Beano and my fishing weekend.

All the best

Chagaman
mate i think you can find the edit button if you look closely on the post which you have posted last . I think you can not re-edit any other then that :lol: