->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Nameri, Assam - 2010
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:12 am 
Fishaholic

Just wanted to share a few picture from my fishing trip back home in Assam.

The first two are pictures of trying to land a big Mahaseer, but unfortunately, my Abu Garcia reel lost a counter balance screw and jammed my spool. after tiring him out for 20 mins, at which point he had no hesitation in snapping my 15 pound leader !!!!

After a couple of weeks i decided to go back there, and landed a Mulley, a trout, a chocolate mahaseer or boca as it is known locally. Saw a herd of 20 elephants with 5 babies... an absolutely stunning sight, especially when they thundered away, at our approach on a raft !! Sadly was missing my camera right then. All in all a nice trip.

Also special mention of Apoo here....Great hospitality, a truckload of tackle and great company. Caught a few fish on a spinner he lent me. So Apoo, thanks once again.

You guys should definitely visit... though unfortunately i think they are racially biased down there and make it super difficult for an Indian national to get an angling license. But i did manage to see some pictures of few river trips in Arunachal Pradesh last year i think it was... with a 50 lbs golden mahseer being the largest and well over 50 fish caught !!!!

P.S - A big thank you to Ken too, whose reel saved the day after mine jammed and for the lures which you lent.. i have to repay you back, and i think i know exactly how ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 am 
Fishaholic

Amazing Photographs and wonderful location. Well done mate. I really enjoyed watching your pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:21 am 
Fishaholic

Hi there,

Awesome, beautiful pictures and what a stunning place you have been to. WOW those MALLARDS and the fish you have landed. They are just too good. I specially like the mallards in flight. Too good.

By the way Vikram, what do you mean by
"though unfortunately i think they are racially biased down there and make it super difficult for an Indian national to get an angling license."
Assam is an Indian State and why would they me racially biased against their own countrymen???

Anyways... Cheers mate. Thanks for the post.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 am 
Fishaholic

Because this place is actually a part of a Tiger Reserve and the Wildlife Department controls the Angling permits. To be sure to get a permit if you are Indian, one needs to be a member of the Assam Bhroeli Angling Conservation Association, which is a great idea, except that in my opinion (don't know how valuable that is ), a lot of the members, don't head or tail about conservation and are members, just so they can fish and avail discounted rates at the Eco resort in Nameri, which is also the headquarters of the Association. In fact Nameri is now producing much smaller and fewer fish than ever before, and you hear loads of stories of 15kg + Golden Mahaseers being cut up and taken home by some of the older members !!!!

But, if you are a foriegner on the other hand and stay at the Eco Camp, the Eco Camp can organize daily fishing permits for you if let them know well in advance. Unfortunately the same kind of hospitality isn't extended to the Indian folks visiting... sad but true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:43 am 
Fishaholic

To further my explaination above, i would like to mention though that i have met some members of ABACA who are true to the cause and are and will continue to support certain initiatives like rearing Mahaseer fingerlings for release etc.

And another highlight of my trip was that i saw the highly endangered and beautiful White Winged Wood Duck, of which only about 200 - 300 pairs survive in the world and they are all in and around Nameri.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Does the Eco camp not allow Indian nationals ?
If that's the case then it's a bit harsh - to say the very least.

Up to now at least, the only "racism" I've ever come across in india has been the other way.
If I apply for an Indian visa as a British citizen, I have different conditions imposed on me because I'm white than I would have if I were a British citizen of Indian heritage.
There are plenty of places within India where I can't attend and organisations that I can't join because I'm not Indian.
If I visit any attraction from a temple ruin to a river to fish, I am routinely charged between ten and a hundred times what an Indian national is asked to pay.
If any of those things happened in the UK, the perpretators would be prosequted and recieve a hefty sentence and the only reason why the Indian High Commision get away with their visa regulations is because they are an embassy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Excellent photographs.
7th picture - is it a rainbow Trout?
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Good pics, Vikram.
Bad luck that you lost the mahseer.
Sorry to hear about state of affairs in Nameri.
Can't believe that the protectors are killing the fish. If it's true, then you will have a mahseerless Nameri in the near future.
Hope sense prevails before they are extinct.
Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Vikram,

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 am 
Fishaholic

@ Ken : Indians are allowed to the Eco Camp, but in their attempt to regulate angling, they have made it virtually impossible for an Indian to get an angling permit. Being an indian you can visit the park, do some rafting and stuff, but no angling !! I believe that instead of doing that they should have a better system of checking and training the ghillies (who by the way are all ok with you taking some fish home if you have given them a bottle of the good stuff !!!!) rather than not issue permits. In fact they could use all that cash to improve facilities and the earnings of the ghillies and the local staff who work at the Eco Camp and therefore make them realise the importance of releasing the fish that are caught.

Aaah... but all that is such wishful thinking. I hope some like minded people can band together and shown the Angling Association some light... and soon.

@ Ravi: I know its a trout, but definitely not a rainbow, If any one could identify the fish, it would be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pics Vikram Thanks for sharing

Vikram wrote
Quote:
(1) unfortunately i think they are racially biased down there and make it super difficult for an Indian national to get an angling license.
But, if you are a foriegner on the other hand and stay at the Eco Camp, the Eco Camp can organize daily fishing permits for you if let them know well in advance. Unfortunately the same kind of hospitality isn't extended to the Indian folks visiting... sad but true.

(2)they should have a better system of checking and training the ghillies (who by the way are all ok with you taking some fish home if you have given them a bottle of the good stuff !!!!)

ken wrote : If I visit any attraction from a temple ruin to a river to fish, I am routinely charged between ten and a hundred times what an Indian national is asked to pay.

@Vikram
(1) we all heard this one "Money talks and bull**** walks" we indians tend to ask a few questions before we cough up the amount whereas foriegners quietly pay up any amount as they avoid problems in a foriegn country,thus making things difficult for us

(2) we all heard about the deadly AIDS virus but there is another much more deadly virus spreading rapidly everywhere and it cannot be cured by medicines, the curruption virus :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Great pictures mate.

Need to catch up and talk. I'll be back on friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

Sure thing man. Its been a while. And if there is absolutely no fishing happening anywhere else this weekend, i plan on hitting Tilyar on Saturday... one last time, before it gets too freaking hot.

Talk on Friday... cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

Lovely pictures Vikram, congrats on an excellent trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pics,

Looks like you had a great time.

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:57 pm 

Fished the river in 2003 and stayed at the Eco camp. The river was dying then on the assam side. Coming down stream from Tipi the right bank was completely bare of forest in assam. There was lot of tribal relocation at that time so the river though protected was being netted, poisioned and dynamited. It is very beautiful country but had very poor protection. We had excellent boat men. Fished for 7 days caught a couple of small masheer 2 to 5 lbs and on the last day a 23lb. All released. The camp had other anglers who had caught a couple of small masheer. Considering that 12 to 16 miles of water was covered every day the catch was very poor. Even then there we stories of the big masheer but it had been sometime before anyone had caught one. The water is much better in arunachal ie tippi. Chances of getting a big masheer there were very good though you need very good boat men as the water is very fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Vikram,

The Aernos saved your day. We had a nice time talking about angling and Nameri. Sadly I couldnt join you. Thanks for sharing the pics. I might see you at April.

By the way I got back my spinners, but you forgot to give me the real stuff (Teachers). He Hee Heee

Cheeres,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm 
Fishaholic

lol.. come to Mumbai Apoo, with companion like you, teachers will be teaching us all day and night.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Apoo mind your triglyceride!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Mulli!
Whats the brand of the rod you used? It looks ideal for that style of fishing.
The trout is an Indian Trout (Raimas Bola). Not actually a trout at all but a big minnow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Santosh,
I am definitely going to make some plans this year.

Saiki,
triglyceride is under control. But not in a very strict way as it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Apoo - Sorry about that, but i thought you preferred being 'taught' by some Magic Moments ;)

@ Ali - Thanks for that. The rod is a Shimano ex- Age 10ft, 5 pc travel rod. Great Rod... definitely recommend it the next time you want to buy yourself one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:28 pm 
Fishaholic

I meant to say that the box contained the spinners only and not the booze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm 
Fishaholic

and waht i was saying was that you don't even like teachers !!!! and anyway you should be happy that at least you know which ones are the good ones to try next time. Are you going there at the end of the month?

Give my regards to Deepu and the gang... and have piece of the smoked chilli pork. I miss that here !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="vikrambora"] have piece of the smoked chilli pork. [quote]

:cry: :cry: pls guys.. dont talk about it.. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

Excellent report and some amazing pictures. Congratulation for landing such good fishes.

Your term that Indians are not allowed to fish in Namery is a bit misleading. Previously Namery was open for all to fish with a permit but now only Assam Bhroeli Angling Conservation Association members are allowed to ease constant angling pressure inside a reserve forest.

I have heard great stories about the guide boatman of that place and one day I too will love to fish that part of our country.

regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:02 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Teachers!!! Leave these kids alone :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Thanks for that.

You are right, the comment can be misleading and Ken asked me the same question actually and in the subsequent posts i have mentioned that the member of ABACA (Assam Bhoreli Angling and Conservation Association) of which i am myself a member, are allowed to fish.

Its with reference to tourists that i say they don't allo Indian, because its virtually impossible for an Indian tourist to get an angling permit, while it is still possible for a foreigner.

Sorry about that...

And while i am at it, thanks a ton for the help with the tide timings near Mumbai. So what in your opinion is the better tide i.e 7.30 pm and 12 pm or the other one to catch and and which end, higher or lower? Also what is a better combination, bait at high tide or vice - versa? And if you use bait, what kind of bait do you generally use? Toooo many questions right. I apologise, but its just that i am such an illiterate when it comes to the sea !!!

But i really do hope i am surprised big time !! :) Thanks once again

Post subject: Beautiful!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:27 pm 

:-) Wow! Looks like a wonderful location even though the fishing is not too good. How are the fishing/nature guides and wildlife sightings at this location?

Apoo or Vikram, could you please post or PM me the contact no. for Nameri Camp/Hotel? I would like to know a little more, and maybe make a trip to this area later on in the year.

Best regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:31 pm 

Hi Vikrambora,

I'm so fascinated by your report and those beautiful photos which you've posted.
Thank you for your sharing. What a pity to have a double standard in the issuing of fishing permit.
I would think it would be easier for a local to get a fishing permit than a foreigner.
And not the other way round. Would you still need a permit say if you're to
to accompany me ( a foreigner) in the trip?

I do quite a bit of fishing in Malaysia. Both river fishing as well as deep sea fishing.
Yes, I do dream of fishing in India one day.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Awesome report and pics and some very nice fishing keep them coming mate [smilie=coolup.gif]