->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:27 am 
Fishaholic

Himachal Angling Association (HAA) is organising a Mahseer "Angling Contest" on the morning of March 14 at Pong Dam. Anyone interested could contact Mr.KB Ralhan, Secy.General at 94180-20620 or Dr.Hans Raj Sharma (JST) at 94180-94238. E Mail:himachal_angling@yahoo.com.

The route from Chandigarh would be : Chandigarh>Ropar>Balachaur>Hoshiarpur>Dasua>Hajipur Roar>Talwara>Pong Dam.

Please note that the road via-UNA is not in good shape.

Also, Pong Dam is now know as "Maharana Pratap Sagar".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

better to rename it the Singhada angling fest... from Wat I remember at the last meet, of the 50 odd anglers present, only the guys from Mandi (can't rmember their name) and me caught and mahseer...

However, with the water levels at their current levels, magic can happen... I hope someone keeps an eye on the guys from Palampur... you know what I mean. I think it would be better to shift the competition to Bhakra and have tented accomodation set up for everyone on won of the islands...

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:04 am 
Fishaholic

If sport fishing as a sport has to grow in India we need better stocked lakes & rivers which are not too far and where our next generation can start fishing. Here, I hope our associations can do some work and meet targets which can be measured. And admit failure too in the next meeting if the targets are not met. Need more people with passion for sport fishing in such associations. License fees at some places are at absurdly low levels too. But I believe the quality of fishing too is in the same slot.

On the Ramganga the fees are high. I will see the quality of fishing, the guide infrastructure etc on March 21 for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for posting Ashok. I wish I could attend this meet but unfortunatly will not be able to do it due to work. I have heard a lot about this Pong dam and would love to go there on a later day.

Any information regarding the end result of this meet and fishing quality are most welcomed.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 pm 
Fishaholic

My plans are final and hope to be there on 13th morning. I will try my best to be give a detailed post on 15 March. I will also try to talk to Fisheries Deptt if they can add a link to their website on Angling which details the "Trout" & "Mahseer" circuit in HP with details on how to get there, accommodations, licenses, expected fish sizes & seasons.

Post subject: Great but...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:26 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
My plans are final and hope to be there on 13th morning. I will try my best to be give a detailed post on 15 March. I will also try to talk to Fisheries Deptt if they can add a link to their website on Angling which details the "Trout" & "Mahseer" circuit in HP with details on how to get there, accommodations, licenses, expected fish sizes & seasons.

Tough order I know but could ya tell em to teach the hillybillies to stop eating the foot long mahaseer? They go fish fry crazy the moment they hook one.

dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

all the best and tight lines guys [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:50 pm 
Fishaholic

I am not sure of the EXTENT of damage caused by anglers to fisheries. But commercial fishing and inability of Fisheries Deptt to manage restocking and protect spawning grounds does do a lot of damage though. Mining in riverbeds is also being projected as a major problem. So, artificial stocking looks more important.

Anglers fishing in HP should have self discipline to return most fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
I am not sure of the EXTENT of damage caused by anglers to fisheries. But commercial fishing and inability of Fisheries Deptt to manage restocking and protect spawning grounds does do a lot of damage though. Mining in riverbeds is also being projected as a major problem. So, artificial stocking looks more important.

Anglers fishing in HP should have self discipline to return most fish.

I would like better than to have fish hitting my tackle every few minutes. Something that stocking would do. The problem at least in Bhimtal is hand lining. The locals buy a permit and then leave the lines from morning till noon. The fisheries guys don't seem to mind. A 'legendary fishing guide' said that if the man has paid Rs.50 for the permit he is entitled to take something back. This man guides at a very respectable lodge at Bhimtal.

I have seen a fisheries boat with a hapless Mahaseer still tied to it, they were waiting for a camera so that they could shoot it to encourage more tourists. It ended as usual as a pakora I suspect.

Apologies for the rant but it really puts one off though I am a strictly novice angler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

anyone going from delhi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Even my trip to Pong is cancelled as I have a dealer coming up to our Kala Amb plant on 13th. I will though go to Bhakra on 14th early morning for 1 day.

One more reason of not going to Pong was that I wanted atleast 2 days of fishing time. Add to it the rush expected on 13th & 14th. I decided to go in April to Pong. Hope fishing will be good at that time. I don't mind the heat.