->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Looking forward to India
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:16 am 
Fishaholic

It's not long now before I fly out of the freezer and into the sun of India and I can't wait 'cause I haven't done any fishing at all since I got back to the UK at the start of December.

I had planned to explore the local canals before Christmas because the winter is pretty much the only time that lure fishing becomes a viable option on these waters as boat traffic turns them into muddy soup when it's warmer.
That simply didn't happen because the canals have been pretty much frozen over since I got back.

This morning it was minus seven degrees Celcius when I left to go to work. It never rose above minus one all day and it's currently minus four and falling fast. My only concern is that the snow forcast for the weekend might affect transport and stop me getting the plane out.

I'll be travelling relativly light this trip but hopefully should still be able to carry enough tackle to cover most options - but my ability to experiment might be a bit limited.

Hopefully, I'll be able to arrage a few meet up's along the way.

BTW. This was the view that greated me this morning from my lounge window.
ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,

Wow.. Its cold out there.

It will be very nice to come to india away from the cold and do some fishing in bright sun shine.

Hope to spend a day or two with you on the coast..

Regards,

Ali.. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Jesus! its freezing out there. Come over Ken and enjoy the sun . Are you travelling south sometime ?

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:10 pm 

3 FEET OFF SNO MINUS 8 DEGREE CELIUS AT 8 AM THIS MORNING, THE WETHER MAN PROMISSES MORE FROST, SO NO FISHING FOR THE NEXT 3 OR 4 WEEKS !!! SO DONT COMPLAIN !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm not complaining mate. I knew you'd read this so I thought I'd rub your nose in it... :D :D :D

Seriously though, 3' of snow is no fun at all.
3" and the UK grinds to a halt and it took me almost three hours to get to work yesterday because there's no mainainence or infrastructure anymore.
I hope it clears for you and the river levels get back to normal before the seatrout run starts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:

BTW. This was the view that greated me this morning from my lounge window.
ImageImage

bhoooo come down ken it looks like a freezer over there mate . As Ali say we are hoping to catch up with you when you are here for some beach fishing may be we all can plan a trip :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm probably going to try to shoot straight down to Goa after I arive in the early hours of Tuesday morning but I will definatly try to set some time aside at the end of the visit to meet up with any of the Mumbai crowd that fancy a fish and/or a beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:12 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ken,
we are bot in the same boat. Here in Bristol we are frozen up too.
Looking on the cheerful side, I fly out on 21st. Jan. for Bombay.
Then to Assam for some mahseer.
Enjoy your planned trip.
H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Have a good trip Henry.
I suspect that like me, you'd rather be in the fire than the freezer.
Mind you, last time I was in Delhi at his time of year, it was only 3 degrees at night and I was dithering whilst I waited for a flight down to Chennai.

Do let me know how you get on with the Northerns - I might come beging for fishing tips if you crack the secrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:16 am 

Hi Henry and Ken

I wish you both a great trip and hope you get some good mahseer.
Best of luck with getting to the airport as well - always a nightmare of mine at this time of year, I almost got caught by the snow February last year but made Heathrow two days after it cleared up.
I'm flying South in February so just praying for decent weather for the airport run again.

Good luck guys

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 am 
Enlightened

Thanks, Andy. It should be a straightforward run from here to the airport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Henry Gonsalves wrote:
Hi Ken,
we are bot in the same boat. Here in Bristol we are frozen up too.
Looking on the cheerful side, I fly out on 21st. Jan. for Bombay.
Then to Assam for some mahseer.
Enjoy your planned trip.
H.

Aree henry sir you are coming on 21st I will be missing meeting you as I would be out of town but may be once you are back from Asam cheers and tight lines for Mahseer [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Well, I'm here.
It wasn't all plain sailing though. My flight from Birmingham was delayed and I only just made the conecting flight from Istanbul, which was also delayed.
On arrival in Mumbai I was stood arround the carousell like everybody else and I and about ten other people were still standing around when we saw the baggage truck drive away through the drapped doors - not good.
Of course, the good people at Turkish airlines had failed to load our transit luggage onto the second plane !
As there is only flight from Istanbul to Mumbai a day, I was stuck without any clothes, fishing tackle or toiletries and wareing the same increasingly fetid set of clothes that I'd set out from Birmingham in.
The ground staff refused point blank to put me or anyone else up in a hotel for the night and reunite us with our bags the next morning although this would have been by far the cheapest and least stressfull option. Instead, they took addresses where we were staying in India and promised to forward the bags on when they arrived.
Now I don't travel with specific destinations in mind so this was a problem but I was told to ring hem with an address and contact number when I arrived and things would be sorted out. Feeling exteemy dubious, we all left the airport clutching bits of paper that were our only links to our luggage.

My original plan was to travel down to Goa, dump most of my stuff with a mate and then immediatly head off to the very southern tip of India to catch tomorrows total eclipse but that plan was clearly dead in the water so I sorted out an address and contact number and tried to ring the airline offices. There was no reply and although it diverted to a voicemail system, it told me that the line owners don't subscribe to the service - worrying.
The next morning I got through and was told that my bags had arrived and were being flown to an agent to deliver them in Goa, so filled with probably unfounded hope, I gave them an address and Rupesh's contact number.
On returning to the guest house a few hours latter, Rupesh tells me that he's had a call from the agent and the bags are on the way down from Mumbai by bus and that we would have to collect them from Mapusa in the morning - even more worrying as this was a different story and it means that I'm going to have to pay taxi fares and give Rupesh a bung for what looks increasingly like a wild goose chase.
To cut a long story short, the agent was there and I got my bags. There is some damage and a few minor bits are missing but all the essentials are intact.
Oh, and I finally got out of my distinctly manky jeans and underware and got to feel clean.
So, I missed the eclipse, I had to buy some emergency toiletries and a shirt (actually a rather nice one), I stood arround stinking for a couple of days (showers just don't cut it when you have to put the same clothes back on) and I'm about 1000 Rupees out of pocket. As you can imagine, I will be having some fairly stern words with Turkish airlines when I get back.
Pesonally I would have insited on delivery direct to the guest house but Rupesh agreed to the meeting in Mapusa in good faith so I couldn't say anything at that point.

Fortunatly, I got to go out for a couple of hours fishing and although conditions wern't ideal (no moon and my mate Ashok hasn't had a bite for three days) I bagged a nice 6kg Baramundi and missed another two hits.

Interestingly, I was the only angler to have a bite and I do wander whether it was blind luck or the result of achieving significantly greater casting distances by dropping down to just 10lb Fireline on the reel.
Time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Now that's an interesting start to a trip.
I am sure things are already turning better.

I wish the Turkish airline guys slip some Turkish delights every time the screw up with someones stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
I wish the Turkish airline guys slip some Turkish delights every time the screw up with someones stuff.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:56 pm 

That's not a good start Ken (apart from the Bara) - I'd like to say that it can only get better after that but that may be tempting fate!
I hope the rest goes to plan and good luck.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Plan ?
I don't do plans. That's what makes it fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 pm 

Just good luck in that case!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:27 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Plan ?
I don't do plans. That's what makes it fun.

would ditto that mate cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

six kg barra on 10 lb line! good show Ken,

Regard,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
six kg barra on 10 lb line! good show Ken,

I wouldn't expect any problems from a fish of twice that size on an open beach. It's just a matter of balanced tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:37 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree. I wouldnt dare using that set up on a rocky terrain. What rod are you using?

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

For the sand spits that I usualy fish, I'm using a 7' Ocean Master spinning rod from Bass Pro that's rated to cast upto two ounces and this is paired with a 4000 size Shimano Stradic. It's nice and light and casting for a couple of hours is no problem.
Obviously I have heavier kit with me and if I go out on the same spot with the intention of throwing the big plugs, I use a StCroix Tidemaster spining rod that's also rated to cast two ounces but which is much, much more powerfull than the Ocean Master and will easilly throw 3 onces or more. This is partnered with an 8000 size Stradic and 30lb Fireline - there is 40lb mono on the other spool used for bait fishing. This is the outfit that has landed my GT's and Mahseer to 77lb so it packs quite a punch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Been struggling a bit and only had one GT in three sessions until last night.

Ashok and I headed north last night to try out a new rock mark.
There were nets set but we found somewhere where we could both fish.
The water was clear water and you could see the Mangrove Jacks following the lure in and turning away at the last moment until I put on a deeper diver and paused it half way in and started twitching. WHAM, it got nailed and I got my first MJ of the trip. Not big but it fought all the harder for being hooked in the shoulder.
Ashok popped back at that point as was very excited about the fish that were following his lures but he hadn't hooked up yet.
He ambled off again and 5 minutes latter, I got nailed by another bigger MJ and bullied him in to stop him getting his head down in the rocks. Right after that I got hit by a barra (all this in daylight !) as the lure touched the water but it was gone almost as quickly after jumping.
I missed a bunch of bites and then got nailed again by a bara and again I bullied him in and this time, I timed a wave to dop him onto a rock ledge and got him in.

Ashok came back from his original spot at this point, had a pout, proclaimed that the rod that he was using was unlucky and proceeded to take up position just to the left of me where he promptly hooked the biggest barra of the night which he then lost because he was being far to soft with it and letting it go wherever it wanted. then he lost another and I explained to him that he had to buly them, yes they will jump, yes you will loose a few but at least that's better than loosing them and your lures to the rocks.
I thought the lessen had sunk in when he hit another fish and it was straight into the rocks. After a bit of a rest and then a bit of a pull, it was back out of the rocks for about 5 seconds before going back in again. I was sure it was gone but it finally came out again and Ashok landed a rather nice stpotted grouper of about 2 kilos.

We had loads more bites and Ashok got totally monstered by something very big that smashed his line, He also had a soft plastic bitten clean in two just behind the hook which might have been a grouper or perhaps something a little more exotic.
Ashok and I both landed another barra each before calling it a night at 8:30 and when he hooked the last one, the lesson had sunk in and he bullied it properly, keeping it's head up and steering it to where I could grap the leader and drag it up the rocks into a little hollow before swinging it up onto the rocks proper.

Nothing huge was landed but lots of fish including my first daylight barra in India and a very interesting new mark,
There were lots of boats landing makeral on the beach and I suspect that interesting things might happen if you were to buy some and decide to soak a couple of big baits on wire leaders and 9/0 hooks.

Sorry guys, no speciffic locations this time, I've been asked to keep mum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks like you guys are on a roll.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Good that you are landing them and congratulation on landing your first dat time barra.. :wink:

Did the feeding has anything to do with makrels being unloaded at that time of the day.. :!:

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali.
I doubt it was the fish being landed as they were being netted quite a way out. It's a rock mark with deep water close in so I think the fish are resident where we were fishing unlike at my usual marks where they simply pass through and where there's only a meter or so of brightly lit water and no cover in the daytime making it hard to hunt and very exposed.
Interestingly, the action was also fairly continuous which makes me think that the famous short feeding periods of the barra are a myth. I suspect that tthe fish on a tidal point simply keep moving to the best spots to intercept a meal and are only in front of most anglers for short periods - but if you can work out where the fish are and follow them, you can catch consistently.
This is one of tactics that Scott and I use regularly without really giving it much throught. The locals in Goa fish one spot all night unless someone hooks a fish in which case, they immediatly jump in there but we do tend to move about a fair bit and spend quite a bit of time fishing either right inside the river mouth or out on the open beach depending on the tide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fishing Ken, congrats.. looks like you guys are having lots of fun.

Most of my fish while spinning have come in day time including 4 barras in 45 mins that was 11.30 AM and the water was as clear as it could get.

I have tried what you & Scott do for barras at estuaries in the night and have managed to catch 2 barras in one night, but that was back in 2008 summer. Nothing after that, I could be doing something wrong.

It is also much safer to spin from the rocks at day time as you can judge your position and incoming waves.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Had a few sessions since I last updated, starting with a return visit to the rock mark and caught 3 barra to Ashok's two. Then we had a night fishing at Morjim where we both blanked and a night on a small estuary in southern Maharashra where I had a barra of about 4 kilos. My last evening before heading south was spent at Kerim where we arrived just as a party of four were leaving without having had a bite. We fished in similar style for an hour or so and then my rod slammed over and the water in front of me was whipped to foam by a big fish that decided to try to fight on the surface. Having decided that it wasn't going to shed the hook by jumping, it set off on a blistering 50m run into the main tide flow while I held on and repositioned myself away from the fast water. It surged away again a couple more times and I was starting to get a bit concerned about being spooled (fortunatly, a 4000 size real holds a lot of 10lb Fireline) but I was OK on that score.
After at least 15 minutes of me making ground only to have the fish surge off again, I got it into the pool of dead water in front of me where I gingerly lead it up the beach.
I could see it was a good fish and thought I was up for a new PB barramundi until I weighed it at 9.8kg's (22lb) which is about half a kilo short of my best - I was nonetheless a very happy boy.
I briefly made contact with another fish about 20 minutes later but it was gone after a second or so so I doubt that the hooks got a hold.
Not a bad way to end my stay in Goa before heading off south.

Last edited by Ken L on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Ken,

Congrats for that Baramundi experience and a very nice report.

looking forward to some pics of your catch.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,

Congrats for the barras and the other fish caught. Thnks for sharing the pics and happy fishing.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the nice catch and a very interesting report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Will add some pics to the reports when I get home. cyber cafe's really arn'y geared up for photo uploading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Just got back from Karnataka where the mahseer fishing was a bit hard. I did land fish to 29lb but the 29lb fish was the only one over 20lb that I caught in a week of fishing.
I had double figure fish on each of the first 4 days but I failed to connect with any bites at all for the last three days. It was hard work and that's despite fishing both lures and bait.
I did get absolutely monstered twice though. I had a hook ripped out of the lure on the first day and a 4X size 1/0 Owner treble straightened completely about 20 minutes before I landed the 29lb'er. I don't even have a trophy shot of that fish though because the camera got wet and decided to shut down every time I put it in auto timer mode.
A waterproof fishing camera is now very high on my list of pressies for Ken - we'll see what they have in duty free.

I popped into Upipi on the way back north with the intention of checking out the local river system. Unfortunately it was a non-starter.
I got and auto down to the north end of Malpe beach and started walking north. I was still walking 45 minutes latter with no sign of the estuary system and gave it up as a bad job. It turns out that the river goes in about 2km further north than the spot where I gave up and you can get a bus most of the way down there or take a bike but I couldn't see any bikes for rent and the buses stop at 7pm which makes them useless for fishing.
I passed over both river systems as I headed north though and they are stunning (as are the 4 or 5 further systems in the next 40km) so there is definitely a lot of potential in that part of the world.
I will certainly be scheduling a return visit for a future trip when I have more than 8 weeks to play with.

I'm now back in Goa and about to go back to the room and sort out my gear for a session up at Kerim tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm 
Enlightened

Hello Ken!

Checked out the river mouth north of malpe one month ago, looking like good fishing there.
In the Backwater System many small MG are to see and also loads of other small fish (mullet,.....).
Both sides are beach and it's about 100m wide.
But i didn't fished.

good luck tonight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:32 am 
Fishaholic

Really been struggling of late and have blanked on the last three sessions. There was a ray of hope though. I suspected that the fish were fixating on very small prey so I tried something and within three casts I got a slamming take that smashed the line.
I'm not going to go into details now but if it works out on my next visit I'll post details.

For now I'm winding up and tomorrow night I will be heading up to Mumbai where I'll be for a couple of days before flying out.

Markus. If the fishing is still hard when you get back to Goa, drop me a PM and I'll let you know what I was trying - you can then tell me if it really works or was just a fluke.